Ava Duvernay Will Be First African American Woman to Helm $100 Million Film

>Yesterday a list of CA tax credits was announced. On that list was Disney’s Ava Duvernay-helmed film “A Wrinkle in Time.” Why that is of note is that this marks the first time CA tax incentives have been given to films with budgets over $75 million.

>Ava DuVernay will be the first African American woman to helm a live-action feature with a budget over $100 million. Only two other women have directed live-action films with a budget in this range. Kathryn Bigelow was the first in 2002 with “K-19: The Widowmaker.” Patty Jenkins will be the second with next year’s “Wonder Woman.” And now Ava DuVernay will be the third. And she’ll be the first woman of color.
blog.womenandhollywood.com/ava-duvernay-will-be-first-african-american-woman-to-helm-100-million-film-4001572bacb4#.ok9izlmo9

We did it reddit

I'd fuck her.

I cant wait for the mental gymnastics on twitter when the movie is shit

>be a shit-tier "director"
>get gigs and money thrown at you left and right simply because you are black AND a woman
>lecture white men about how "privileged" they are

What a time to be alive.

That high yella bitch can get the pipe.

Why would anyone throw $100 million at a Wrinkle in Time movie?

Can anyone recommend me some good African literature?

get your lychin ropes ready, boys

Because DIVERSITY. That's why.

This hag took an overtly Christian novel written by an English woman and recast all the white kids as nigs and bi-racial half-nigs. So Disney decided to throw money at it.

bears repeating

hollywood is about to crash.

This will bomb even worse than the ghostbusters

J.M. Coetzee - Waiting for the barbarians
Nadine Gordimer - July's people
Andre Brink - anything, but a Dry White Season is a favourite

They already let fucking gooks direct movies, might as well let the spooks have a shot too. It can't be any worse than what those Korean chinks that nuked Pearl Harbor are churning out.

THE WATSONS GO TO BURMINGHAM

things fall apart - chinua achebe
americanah - chimamanda ngozi adichie
half of a yellow sun - same
wole soyinka's shit is supposed to be good but i haven't read any

I fucking hate that book but best of luck to her, honestly.

She should direct the American remake of that African movie about the kid who loves to suck tits so much that he literally sucks them out of women on the street's shirts and shit.

I don't remember how I fucking felt about this book, only that I think the 'Meg' character fucking sucked for some reason and I can't recall why

i remember that book, it was pretentious as fuck. a lot of 70's new age ideas and pop science

It was fun.
I read it and one other book in the series about the MC's brothers getting teleported to the preflood days and they have to help Noah build the Ark and both want to have sex with Noah's daughter.
It was pretty fucking weird.

Devil In a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley

anything written by Langston Hughes

>Ava DuVernay will be the first African American woman to helm a live-action feature with a budget over $100 million.

And the last.

Disney's Remakes have a high failure rate. "Wrinkle In Time" reeks of Tomorrowlandiness.

Things fall apart. It Basically states that culture falls due to time (even white culture shhh).

>K2 The Widowmaker
> Woman director

.... Seriously?

Does this mean I can get people to read my scripts and let me direct shit if I'm a 21 year old black nigga?

...is that un-Christian?

to be fair, nobody can make this movie into a blockbuster the source material is shit

she has a super fat booty but not many good pics of it on the internet. have to resort to pausing vids and getting blurry looks at it

Are you me? I was thinking exactly the same movie.

The bigger story here is
>CA liberal shitbag politicians raise taxes all to hell and drive away movie production
>hand out tax 'incentives' to friends and wealthy donors to 'bring movies back'.

Literally create a problem, then fix it only for people wealthy enough to bribe you. Liberals everyone.

>>get gigs and money thrown at you left and right simply because you are black AND a woman
I like how you're acting like this is some de rigueur or pervasive practice when it's LITERALLY the first time this has ever happened.

It is truly astounding how retarded people on this board are.

This is hardly the first time someone in Hollywood has gotten kickbacks due to cashing-in on identity politics.

She got offered the Black Panther job but turned it down.

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - Amos Tutuola

I'd give her a big budget if you know what I mean

gonna need some screen caps of this.

>This is hardly the first time someone in Hollywood has gotten kickbacks due to cashing-in on identity politics.
Name me 20 tentpole Hollywood films helmed by black women; I can name 20 off the top of my head directed by white men. I don't even care about her directing this movie (I think she's shit and boring and uninteresting), but, senpai, let's at least be honest about the reality. This "identity politics" thing only seems like it's widespread now because it's been so rare in the past. And on top of that, it's not like some big-name, great director got muscled out of the job by big wigs trying to push identity politics by homing in on black women.

So two films? Not a particularly compelling figure.

Shit, meant to reply to

This'll be a failure. Anyone whos read a Wrinkle in Time knows it has to be very stylistic or its just not gonna work. This movie needs a darkish surreal, fantasy tone. Something along the lines of what Guillermo del Toro would do.

>
>So two films? Not a particularly compelling figure.

Except it is, especially in Hollywood. $100m directorships aren't handed out like candy.

She got offered 2 in the span of a year. Most directors are lucky if they get handed one through their filmmaking lifetimes.

She was an absolute nobody before Selma, hell that movie didn't even do well nor get any Academy Noms. For her to get any work after something like that is absolutely astounding.

>tax credits

>most likely fat
>probably bossy and high-and-mighty
>most likely pancake tits

You are doing it wrong, you need a lithe and young black teen. Great thighs and little chance of pancake tits, with a great ass.

OOGA BOOGA BIX NOOD MUFUGGA- Tyrone

Where the fuck are the sceencaps then

>Guillermo del Toro
fuck you for even suggesting that

I love Harrison Ford and I've never even heard of K-19.

Woops.

Lots of no name directors are getting tossed tent pole movies recently. David Ayer, Colin Trevvorow, Gareth Edwards, Rian Johnson hasn't even really done a big movie etc.

I don't see why they needed to reacebend the Murrys, but I also don't think their race mattered either from what I remember. Unlike Dark Tower which I hear had some racial issues with Rolland being white and a black female character.

Alfre Woodard played one of them mystic immortal women in a prior movie.

I think it should be enough that we have a black director directing a big film. You don't need black actors. Black directors shouldn't be shoehorned to 'black movies'.

I just hope it's good.