"Ghostbusters" is a confirmed box office bomb

Production Budget: 144 mil.
Ad Budget: 100+ mil (likely higher). (number mentioned but only as "above 100 million")
Total: 244+ million.

Average estimated domestic gross studio cut: 50%
Average estimated foreign gross studio cut: 33.3%

Domestic Gross: 107.8 mil, only get approx 53.9 mil.
Foreign Gross: 51.7 mil, only get approx 17.2 mil
Total Gross: 159.6 million, only get 71.1 mil.

Total Studio Cut: 71.1 million back of 244+ million total budget.
Loss: Approximately 172.9+ million (likely higher).

Corroboration from official sources confirming this, evidence link:
> vulture.com/2016/07/paul-feig-ghostbusters-reboot-c-v-r.html

Quote:
>A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide

Quote confirms above mentioned maths validity, thus proving that this franchise is stillborn.

This Ghostbuster is a Grossbuster.

For further simplification of any future arguments it is the wish of this user that this post be screencapped and used to explain away this films failure. Doing so can also work as an example of why other films have never recieved follow ups such as Dredd 3D.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting
youtube.com/watch?v=OG83qBuQ_A8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Entertainment_hack
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good.

Ironic...

We all know this already

How is this ironic?

Spread it around.

If you actually bothered to do something for once in your life you wouldnt have to complain about these films on a faceless mongolian yak-printing 3-day-delivery mail-service site because they'd stop producing shit and people would stop praising them for producing shit.

This mean ghostbusters franchise given up the ghost or will we see a more fateful ghostbusters in a few years time?

Ghostbusters is 6 feet under, my friend.

This flick was so obviously going to be a bomb that I'm surprised the studio went through with it.

Amy "Spider-Man should be an EDM DJ" Pascal greenlit it.

I feel no pity. They had the recipe for a sure fire blockbuster in hand by getting the old cast back together, yet they decided instead to worship at the feet of SJW's, mock their main fan base, and got completely burned. The only ones to blame for this mess are themselves.

Fuck Hillary.

It's actually kind of impressive that a company can be this incompetent

>ruined Feig's career
>will have some truly unpleasant production and marketing staff permanently blacklisted
>Made sure Jones and probably a few others won't ever work again
>the non cancerous actors are probably fine
>there's now objective proof that a marketing strategy based around abusing an established IP and emotional blackmail doesn't work

If the studio says it did well, then that's all that matters.

>If the studio says it did well, then that's all that matters
Good thing they're not saying it did well.

Shhhh.

We're not talking about Ghostbusters anymore.

It never happened.

I could have told you there was zero interest in an all female ghost busters, and only moderate interst in some super hero team.

This is what should have happeened:

1. All female Super hero movie with new IP
2. 30-50 million dollar budget
3. Keep Feig away from writing

BAM you've just made 100 million instead of losing 150 million. Feig films typically have a set audience. Why they thought that this audience would be bigger just because you slapped Ghost Busters on it is beyond me.

>Cast Chris Pratt, Danny McBride, Charlie Day and Kevin Hart (I guess)

>Hire the 21 Jump Street Guys to direct

>Have it be a Force Awakens style reboot with the original cast contributing

They would have a billion fucking dollars and launched a franchise.

Sony hates money.

>expecting such detached people will ever accept their defeat

do you honestly think the people attached to this movie live in reality?

ghost busters 2 mark my words screenshot this

Amy Pascal and the rest of the Sony Executives are morons. Amy really wanted an all-girl film. She's the boss. If she decides on something, everyone else goes along with it.

Honestly, the all-female thing wouldn't have even been a big deal if they didn't make a big show of "wow look how progressive we are."

The main problem with it was they put the "all-female cast" as the priority over "making a Ghostbusters movie" and then hiring people who would be able to do it well.

If it happened to be an all-female cast, so be it. Ideally I would have wanted a mixed cast, or a mix-up of the "has to be 4 Ghostbusters formula."

Maybe a running joke where it's just 2 people being Ghostbusters, and keep getting hounded by other pairs of people who want to be Ghostbusters too before they recruit everyone who wanted to join for the big finale when they realize 2 won't be enough.

They won't, but their investors will.

There will always be some faggot who got bullied as a kid that thinks he can change the world, and there will always be dumbasses that take the vocal minority seriously.

What there won't always be are people that fund them, especially not when the record is against them

That's what everyone I know was saying.

"Why didn't they do it so the old ghostbusters hand off their stuff to the new ones?"

Its that simple!
It was staring them in the face!
Egon got lost in Hell.

An Extreme Ghost Busters situation was the obvious choice. They missed their chance because Ergon's actor died.

>Rest of the ghost busters retire and move away
>Ergon stays around since he's the one who built everything
>recruits a new team
>stays behind as tech support and a supporting character
>3 men one woman

This film could have been called GHost Busters 3, and came out around 2000.

>Honestly, the all-female thing wouldn't have even been a big deal...

Yea, it would.

Male buddy humor doesn't translate to chicks. Period. They have a different energy. NOBODY likes to watch chicks pretend to be dudes, and vice versa, which is why GB failed, and why faggy male movies fail.

>Force Awakens style reboot
is this a new meme? how is the 7th movie in a series considered a reboot, its called a sequel you moron and yes a ghostbusters 3 would have been great

Jurassic World and Force Awakens were half-remakes and reboots. They effectively just remake the first film, don't call it a hard reboot, but are effectively rebooting the series.

This.

It was never about making a good movie or bringing in new fans to an old franchise. The majority of marketing, ads, and talkshows were all about how the main cast are all females and that haters are just man children.

Are you retarded? The budget was only 144 million, they've already made 161 million, and that number will keep going up. Anyone saying this movie is a flop is kidding themselves.

just call them sequels then nothing about them changes anything ghostbusters 2 was just ghostbusters again with some minor changes is it a reboot?

A soft reboot is if the events still happened but they changed dates and years so things fit with the newer films. A hard reboot is when they ignore the previous films

>144 M
>only

>studio takes 100% of the revenue

no film is ever officially profitable
GB16 would literally be the first officially profitable film
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

Your math is off on a lot of things, They probably got closer to 85-90m and only spent 200m. CBS/AMC advertising is essentially free. Advertising can be achieved for cheap in lots of ways. They likely only spent around 50m. It may normally cost someone more, but Sony can waive cost at their leisure through partnerships.

Still clearly a bomb since it didn't even make 200m.

>The budget was only 144 million

You know that companies grossly understate production-costs, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=OG83qBuQ_A8

This guy has been to so many cons and met so many fans, they should have listened to him

wtf, i hate winston now

I still think we should have a filter in Sup Forums that changes fag to feig and faggot to feiggot.

>le funny yelling man
It wasn't funny with Zootopia, stop posting your videos on Sup Forums

Who is actually to blame? Pascal/Feig for GB2016 or Bill Murray for rejecting Ghostbusters 3?

Dontcha think?

flash forward
>"uhhhh I mean this movie is going to be amazing! p-pls bring as many people as you can to see it in theaters and imax!"

The original movie was about four males from different backgrounds with different personalities forming a shared bond through battle. A bond of brotherhood forged in combat.

Women don't work for this because women don't form those bond. Women never form those bonds through anything, they don't form friendships on the same level so it simply was not believable in any way.

Also women aren't funny and all they tell are dick/pussy jokes for some reason.

isn't she the producer of the new spiderman film with the minority Flash tompson?

That would be a brilliant idea. How and who can be contacted for this?

When I first heard about the all female team I was kinda miffed, but still looking forward to a new Ghostbusters.
But they literally made the same movie just with women and yes, it doesn't work.
If it had been any good, ie good writing, plot, characters and a fresh approach that fits the female leads, it could've been fine.

I always liked the sequel and it's such a waste they never made a part 3 since the videogame shows that a third movie could have tied the first two together nicely.
I don't care if the story is stupid and doesn't make sense at points, I don't care if it's not as good as the first, it was all about the characters for me and I enjoyed them in both movies and the game.

Of course women form bonds, but the women in this film had no personalities to begin with.

I chuckled. What more could you ask for?

Fuck Hillary

They spent ads during the NBA finals and even had NBA rapists take part. That AIN'T cheap.

Feig looks like a douchier jewish-erBob Saget

He looks 100% gay.

>There was an early email of Feig’s, leaked in the Sony hack, in which he called his take “a billion dollar idea” and promised “ghost aliens."

A direct link?

probably bullshit but I believe it.

Manufacturing some kind of controversy is the only way to make this movie stand out.

If it wasn't for all the the bullshit and sony leaks this would have been a movie that was instantly forgotten about.

>leaked in the Sony hack
> the Sony hack
if you keep saying it it will be real

It was a real thing.

>tfw SJW wordfiltered to spooky scary skeleton for halloween

>Amy, Here’s my take on it: It’s a reboot of the franchise in a world (our world) that has never actually had any legitimate contact with the ghost world. Our villain ghost is an executed murderer, a Ted Kazinski type (think Peter Dinklage) who has left behind a manifesto of how he wants to change and destroy the world. When his execution is hit by a supercharged electrical storm, he is turned into a powerful ghost able to rouse other villainous spirits from the ghost world to carry out the ever-expanding plans of his manifesto. Our four new female Ghostbusters come together in an origin story that sees them forming a team based on their diverse skills and plays with the invention and trial-and-error of their various Ghostbusting technology and techniques as they try to stop the villain and his ever growing force of evil ghosts, which is a boring way of saying that we’ll see four very different women come together and figure out in funny, scary and action-packed ways how to save New York City and the world.

how do you think disney got spiderman back.

>This first film will deal with this one mission and the formation of our team and the evolution of their hardware and by the end result in them forming their actual Ghostbusters business, versus starting a business mid-film like the original movie. However, I would like to keep their business as a secret government agency in a world where the government has worked hard to cover up the events of this first reboot in order to keep the public from knowing that there is now a possible reoccurring ghost threat over our country. (I’m playing with the idea that, a la Close Encounters, the government stages an evacuation of mid-town Manhattan to keep the public from knowing about the ghost threat, so that even though most of mid-town Manhattan is a mess after the final battle, they are able to explain it away as a gas explosion or something to that effect. This will keep the franchise from having to denounce the Ghostbusters in a sequel or drop them back into a world in which the public is now fully aware of ghosts. This will give the franchise much more longevity. There’s a funny dynamic we want to play with where the government eventually starts working with the Ghostbusters but has to keep denouncing them publicly, having a Cecily Strong type character always saying terrible things about them in press conferences and then apologizing to them behind the scenes, even though her public attacks on them get more and more personal. “I’m sorry, I just have to make it sound convincing.”)

>he wasn't here for the sony leaks
comedy gold to be honest lad.

But who will bust the ghost of Ghostbusters now that Ghostbusters is dead?

>Tonally, the movie will be a bit scarier and more hi-tech than the original and the set pieces will be bigger, while still being very funny. For example, I want in the third act to have the entire police force and army accompany the Ghostbusters to the final battle but since our villain only wants to deal with the Ghostbusters and wants to make the government look ridiculous, he possesses the entire police and army forces and makes them do a big ridiculous dance number in the middle of Fifth Avenue, thus neutralizing them (and delighting himself). I think that having our main villain be both evil and funny in the ways screws with our world as he’s trying to carry out the points of his manifesto (get revenge on everyone who slighted him, humiliate and take down Wall Street, make the United States look ridiculous to the rest of the world and eventually destroy NYC, which to him is the brain of the US), as well as have fun with the ghosts he picks to carry out various tasks (could be all dead villains and famous criminals he recruits from the ghost world and – in what I think could be a billion dollar idea – recruits the ghosts of evil beings from other parts of the universe – yes, ghost aliens! “Our world isn’t the only place in the universe with bad and dangerous beings that have died, you know. There’s a lot of bored dead monsters out there who are just looking for something to do.”)

You're an idiot.

when would these "leaks" even be from? the female ghostbusters movie had been in production for years and everyone knew about it before the trailer came out.

Disney.

They are selling the first one at a loss to establish the cinematic universe, the next one will be a box office hit for sure

How? How are these people given millions of dollars to make movies?

Spotted the newfeig.

Welcome to Sup Forums!

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Entertainment_hack
>November, 2014
Hownu.ru

He could save others from dubs, but not himself.

Sony Executives are out of touch suits who are terrible at their jobs. Just really god awful.

>fucking up that partial palindrome get

>I want in the third act to have the entire police force and army accompany the Ghostbusters to the final battle but since our villain only wants to deal with the Ghostbusters and wants to make the government look ridiculous, he possesses the entire police and army forces and makes them do a big ridiculous dance number in the middle of Fifth Avenue
Feaig actually do this and it got cut because Sony thought it was to stupid and he actually think people would love this

LoL is this real?

>T-the ultimate cut will fix it
>R-right guys?

>6'4
>180 lbs
>50 years old

This is the woman they wanted to be a star of their new 1 billion dollar film.

>will we see a more fateful ghostbusters in a few years time?
Doubtful. This only came to be because Amy Cuntface wanted a action-ladies vehicle, and it failed (even though she's no longer a Sony employee, she'll continue to push her agenda at her own studio).

Feig said the dance scene is going to be in the ultimate cut

>the winter of 14-15 was the last time Sup Forums was good
>sony leaks
>the birth of JUST posting
>moot's farewell

ITS LIKE RAIIIIIIIIIIIN

Fuck it, man. Put Ray in that position.

Winston retires and moves upstate. Peter is a Professor of paranormal Studies or something (he got tenure and basically does jack shit). Egon died, and now Ray and Janine basically run the whole show.

You can keep Holtzmann (but write her better, holy fuck) as Egon's protege. Get some hispanic actor to be Eduardo to be the muscle. Bring in Kylie as... fuck. Ray's granddaughter or something (keep Melissa McArthy as her mom, maybe?).

Rowan is actually Peter's assistant, and is like using him for his connections and experience to summon a fucking Elder God or some shit. He ends up bumping off Peter, spooky shit starts to happen, Ray is too old to do this shit himself any more so he hires Eduardo and Kylie to help Holtzmann deal. Winston shows up to help them train.

BOOM. Groundwork for an excellent passing-the-torch story. The old Busters get to fully retire, Bill Murray never has to be involved ever again, Paul Feig gets dragged out into the street and beaten with a pool cue until his retinas detach, everyone is happy.

lbs

No fucking way.

>dear diary, today ghostbusters was declared a bomb. I KNEW IT!

It is almost impossible to do a decent comedy with women, because a lot of humor is poking fun at YOURSELF. You can't do this with women any more, because the SJW crew screams bloody murder.

when you're 6'4, it's not hard to be that weight.

if you're 6 4 and 180 you're a fucking skeleton.

I lot of the humor of the original was definitely self-depreciating. Ray's idiotic genius, Egon's weird recluse with comedic timing, Venkman's sleazy yet not a bad guy deep down thing, and Winston's serious till shit gets real attitude. There was an element of professionalism contrasted by each of their wild personalities that made it really funny. The girls in the new film really didn't have an element of realism at all.

how the fuck can anyone afford to lose 172 million? Especially a fucking theater company. Our society is so broken.

Fat weighs a lot less than muscle.

They hit a major win with Skyfall that's cushioned a lot of later blows. This might hurt them seriously though. The game studio who made the shit tie-in game has already gone bankrupt, which is nice.

She'd be thin as a rail then.