Holy fucking shit I just saw this movie and it's a fucking perfect masterpiece

Holy fucking shit I just saw this movie and it's a fucking perfect masterpiece.

Can we have a Princess Mononoke/Hayao Miyazaki thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8XOV2L-eM38
mangahere.co/manga/nausica_of_the_valley_of_the_wind/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

my favorite little detail in this movie is that when the spirit of the forest finally takes Lord Akoto's life, he also cures his blindness

Shit, I never noticed that and I've seen the film like a dozen times.

Best Miyazaki movie to be honest, this should have won the oscar instead of Spirited Away.

GOAT Hisaishi.

youtube.com/watch?v=8XOV2L-eM38

It should have been called

"Ashitaka and the Wolf Bitch"

Easily entertained plebs, this movie was shit. The only thing going for it is the artwork and only that can be enjoyed when intoxicated.

I like how Miyazaki is clearly an environmentalist but he doesn't just go calling everyone he disagrees with evil.

I appreciate your efforts in keeping this thread bumped.

Mononoke was my favorite until I saw Spirited Away. Then Howl's Moving Castle won me over.Then I finally got around to watching his older films, and now Porco Rosso is #1 for me.

miyazaki toplist from best to "worst"

spirited away
mononoke
nausicaa
kiki
totoro
howls moving castle
laputa
ponyo
wind rises
porco rosso

>dat brass at 4:15

>porco rosso last
you sir are objectively wrong.

Totoro should be last3

My favorite scene is when San feeds Ashitaka after his ordeal in village.

it is extremely guttural and romantic to me. they're mates, not lovers.

How good is Ni no Kuni?

Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle
The Wind Rises
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Porco Rosso
My Neighbor Totoro
Ponyo

What the fuck was Akoto's problem?

Same here.

>heals the wound in his chest
>won't heal the cursed arm
>starts crying

I love when one of the wolves picks up Ashitaka's unconscious body with it's mouth and starts shaking him around violently.

fucking weeb faggots kill yourselves

It's one of the few rare 10/10s that don't age.

Excellent story, excellent pacing, excellent artwork, excellent soundtrack, great characters, great action, "romance" done right.

Not necessarily the best Miyazaki but will never be surpassed in its genre.

If you don't like it then leave, cuck

Top Tier:

Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke

Mid Tier:
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Low Tier:
The Cat Returns
Ponyo
Ni no Kuni
Howl's Moving Castle

>Tfw people only focus on Miyazaki and forget about the others Ghibli movies
Do yourself a favour and watch Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart and Princess Kaguya at least, they are great.

Is Miyazaki a living Japanese Walk Disney?

Haven't seen the other two, but Princess Kaguya was pretty boring. Looked beautiful though.

Bar none the best Miyazaki film.

grave of the fireflies might be the best ghibli movie..

only yesterday is literally "nothing happens: the film", it's pretty much just a chick movie

yes, actually. He is a beloved figure.

the same is true for Leiji Matsumoto.

Bait aside, it should resonate with the late 20s audience in Sup Forums that hasn't accomplished much about their life and are looking back fondly at a simpler childhood

patrician
doesn't understand that porco rosso is literally 10/10 tier
where's porco rosso tier

the only people it resonates with and was ever meant to resonate with was 25-50 year old women. there is practically nothing of worth to be gained from watching the film as a man, it's a thoroughly feminine film. 5cm per second is infinitely superior if you want a film that delves into nostalgia and lost opportunity.

The ending was nice. That the world is going to move on and be worse for it but we'll still keep trying to do what we can. And that San likes Ashitaka but still can't give in to people.

Porco Rosso is literally an unfinished film.

>muh hipster ghibli
it's okay to admit that it's one of miyazaki's weakest works man, you're not making yourself look deep and perceptive by hyping it up

I haven't seen the film, but are you implying that looking back a simpler childhood times is exclusively a womanly thing?

5cm/s is too concerned with poetical metaphor to me and the inevitability of humans drifting apart, while Only Yesterday is grounded in reality. It's pretty much an autobiographical film. I liked the latter much better but ymmv

literally 20 minutes of the film is dedicated to what it's like for girls getting their first period. the film is targeted at aging housewives and christmas cake women.

look, i love aviation.
Tail Spin was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid.
one of my favorite things about Hayao is how much of a aviation freak he is too.
Rosso should be a shoe-in for my favorite Miyakino.

...it's just really not his best flick, user.

tfw I'm almost always unable to convince people to read the Nausicaa manga in spite of my insistence that it's a masterpiece that far outstrips any of Miyazaki's movie

Princess Mononoke is my favorite movie in general though

I am very anti-weeb and anti anime. I remember one time though I'd downloaded a bunch of movies, including Spirited Away and I had a free line during year 12 so I decided to watch it on my laptop with headphones in.

I was so blown away I decided to watch all the Miyazaki films and they're great. I still don't watch any other anime, but his films are good regardless of whether they're anime or not.

I like Kiki's Delivery Service a bit more just because it's more enjoyable to watch. Mononoke is certainly a better film but it's kind of a downer. I'll watch Kiki over and over.

Ghibli in general:

Transcends Anime Tier:
Grave of the Fireflies
Spirited Away

Power Gap

Great Tier:
Princess Mononoke
Howl’s Moving Castle
The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Good Tier:
Nausica and the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki’s Delivery Service

Power Gap

OK Tier
Arietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises

Bad Tier:
Only Yesterday
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo

Haven’t Scene Tier :
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
My Neighbors the Yamadas
The Cat Returns
When Marnie Was There

People have the capacity to look beyond the surface of a small segment that deals with first time periods and possesses basic empathy. Throw your body off a cliff for even mentioning a shitty movie like 5cm per second.

>The ending was nice.
It's been some years since I last watched it, but I don't see what was stopping Eboshi and her people to be slaughtered some time later by the Emperor's forces? They lost the Iron Town which was their only status of power and threat, by the end of the film they were nothing but a bunch of homeless women and useless men with no real prospect for the future

I liked this movie a lot, but I got to be honest, the animation was terrible.

There isn't but that's not what matters. It's that Eboshi is still going to do what she can even if fate is against her. Much like nature's battle against her and the industrial revolution she represented.

>there is practically nothing of worth to be gained from watching the film as a man

that is so fucking plebby it hurts.

Howl's Moving Castle was shit. Fite me.

>slaughtered some time later by the Emperor's forces?

Why would the emperor's forces slaughter Lady Eboshi? You mean the samurai?

Howl is comfy as fuck. One of Ghibli's most rewatchable.

Post the link, faggot.

It's one of the weakest because it's an average adaptation of a britbong novel. Original stories are better

I started reading the manga version years ago, never finished it though. Stopped when Asbel got captured or something. I was just thinking about picking it up again soon.

If you want comfy then go with Totoro. Howl is jumbled mess.

If you want comfy go with Kiki.

If you want comfy go with Porco Rosso.

Totoro is overrated shit.

Kiki is top-tier comfy. Howl is good too.

Point is, HMC sux.

It's not overrated if you are from Japan. That fucking film spawned an entire environmental protection movement.

It's a meandering piece of shit.

Nausicaa was true animekino

There's something eerily beautiful about a world where almost civilization has disappeared and been overtaken by fungi and giant bugs

Name a better movie about statutory rape

Not sure if legit complaint or joke.

I have a skin condition that started on my hand and has outbreaks up my arm when I'm stressed. It even started around when I first saw PM. Ashitaka is a reminder of trying to meet a greater destiny in life despite my "curse" of physical appearance and condition.

I shouldn't have get my hands on hentai based on this first.

Are you me? I've been doing that for ages.

It's got some pretty parts (like most Ghibli) and I dig some aspects of the world/setting, but as a story I really never cared for it.

I saw Princess Mononoke and was really underwhelmed by it. Is it because I watched the subtitled version? Should I have watched the dub? Am I just getting older?

life is suffering
what's your illness called?

There is a story? I thought it was just a bunch of unrelated events without even a semblance of an arc. Then again I guess it doesn't have to have an arc to be a story.

Damn dude. Keep rocking.

mangahere.co/manga/nausica_of_the_valley_of_the_wind/

Note that this reads left to right, as the official English translations were mirrored.

What was underwhelming about it?

"Demon God" is so much better

Mononoke is easily their best film, a perfect combination of magic, folklore, aesthetics and animation with a very simple message. All the others are shit, specially Ponyo

THIS is the comfiest one.

Yeah that's just about what I mean. A couple girlfriends of mine have always loved that one in particular, and I generally assume it's the Sophie/Howl fantasy strained romance.

spirited away 10/10
fireflies 10/10
mononoke 10/10
castle in the sky 10/10
nausicaa 10/10
howl's moving castle 10/10
porco rosso 9/10
kiki 9/10
totoro 9/10
Ponyo 8/10
the dark wind rises 7/10
Arrietty 7/10
pom poko 6/10

haven't seen others

Phil Hartman Cat disagrees with you.

My only girlfriend loved it too...

>it's a fucking perfect masterpiece
Why do people think this?
The writing in Mononoke is complete shit.

No, bc it triggers Sup Forums and then you get yelled at for a few hours because absolutely NO animated film is allowed in the television and film board, despite the janitors not giving a single fuck, because they realize only tribalist autists really think that

>beautifully draen animated film
>"movie is for pleebs. Only the artwork is good"
>the entire fucking point of an animated film is visual storytelling
>the artwork

wew, what an unpopular puffin there Imgur

I thought it was alright, but you could REALLY tell it was adapted from a book that had much more going on than the film was capable of showing. There's a lot of important things in the background that all the characters acknowledge but the audience barely knows.

Also Howl was one of the most stereotypical "brooding handsome lonely rich guy" I've ever seen.

Appealing artwork doesn't necessarily mean a movie has great or even good visual storytelling. Just look at Nausicaa. The script leaves nothing to the imagination and explains everything you see almost immediately outside the prologue.

I really enjoyed Kiki, however I think it has more of a whimsical charm to it. It's comfy for sure, but not top tier comfy.

Whisper of the heart had this wonderful "day in the life" quality about it, it was more intimate, it pulls you into the places of the film so easily. I was nostalgic for a life I never had.

Same

Its without a doubt one of the greatest manga series ever and Miyazaki's magnum opus. The story covers a massive amount of material that the movie didn't and really fleshes out the characters more. People who don't like Nausicaa for being too preachy in the movie will especially enjoy it. Her optimism and defiant pacifism don't last long.

Pic related are my all-time favourite characters right here.

Did anyone else actually really like the English songs they added for Kiki's Delivery Service?

how is it statutory rape? she's 14 and he's 15..

>he's 15
Bullshit

>pic related

That moment where those two face Kushana's older brother in the middle of the daikaisho is one of my favorite scenes in the series and easily Kurotowa's crowning moment.

Anyone who thinks Kushana didn't take Kurotowa as her consort is in denial

read the original manga, he's a 1st year high school student. that's 15 in japan. shizuku is 14, still in junior high and studying to get into high school.

Honestly probably my least favorite Ghibli movie that isn't Nausicaa, and that's not actually a Ghibli movie. I dunno why, I was expecting to enjoy it a lot but it just didn't do much for me.

Howl's Moving Castle is a fucking garbage adaption and as someone who read and loved the books as a kid it fucking pisses me off to hear so many people praise it.

Ctrl+F Castle of Cagliostro
No matches

Everyone do yourselves a favour and watch it NOW

The fact that people like anime is disgusting.

Some really shitty stories and storytelling and the music they use and the annoying yelling that happens all the time for no reason. They are all the fucking same and you are probably a faggot in real life if you actually enjoy wasting any amount of your life watching this dog shit

Thanks for your bumperino, fellow user.