YLYL religion edition. For believers of the big invisible guy in the sky...

YLYL religion edition. For believers of the big invisible guy in the sky, who loves humanity and can do anything but chooses to say fuck you.

>mfw atheists forget that they cant even define their religion

0/10

Wow, you're so edgy and cool OP! I can only imagine how much pussy you get and how fun you are to be around!

The theologians Jeffrey Robbins and Christopher Rodkey take issue with what they regard as "the evangelical nature of the new atheism, which assumes that it has a Good News to share, at all cost, for the ultimate future of humanity by the conversion of as many people as possible." They believe they have found similarities between new atheism and evangelical Christianity and conclude that the all-consuming nature of both "encourages endless conflict without progress" between both extremities. Sociologist William Stahl said "What is striking about the current debate is the frequency with which the New Atheists are portrayed as mirror images of religious fundamentalists."

The real god

The atheist philosopher of science Michael Ruse has made the claim that Richard Dawkins would fail "introductory" courses on the study of "philosophy or religion" (such as courses on the philosophy of religion), courses which are offered, for example, at many educational institutions such as colleges and universities around the world. Ruse also claims that the movement of New Atheism—which is perceived, by him, to be a "bloody disaster"—makes him ashamed, as a professional philosopher of science, to be among those holding to an atheist position, particularly as New Atheism does science a "grave disservice" and does a "disservice to scholarship" at more general level.

Paul Kurtz, editor in chief of Free Inquiry, founder of Prometheus Books, and a man who has been called the father of secular Humanism, was critical of many of the new atheists. He said, "I consider them atheist fundamentalists...They're anti-religious, and they're mean-spirited, unfortunately. Now, they're very good atheists and very dedicated people who do not believe in God. But you have this aggressive and militant phase of atheism, and that does more damage than good

Believing is easier than thinking, hence why there are more believers than thinkers

kek. not believing is by definition not a religion

Atheism deserves better than the new atheists whose methodology consists of criticizing religion without understanding it, quoting texts without contexts, taking exceptions as the rule, confusing folk belief with reflective theology, abusing, mocking, ridiculing, caricaturing, and demonizing religious faith and holding it responsible for the great crimes against humanity. Religion has done harm; I acknowledge that. But the cure for bad religion is good religion, not no religion, just as the cure for bad science is good science, not the abandonment of science.

much truth, also peer pressure is a big deal. Like serious shaming

The philosopher Massimo Pigliucci feels that the new atheist movement overlaps with scientism, which he feels is philosophically unsound. He writes: "What I do object to is the tendency, found among many New Atheists, to expand the definition of science to pretty much encompassing anything that deals with “facts,” loosely conceived..., it seems clear to me that most of the New Atheists (except for the professional philosophers among them) pontificate about philosophy very likely without having read a single professional paper in that field.... I would actually go so far as to charge many of the leaders of the New Atheism movement (and, by implication, a good number of their followers) with anti-intellectualism, one mark of which is a lack of respect for the proper significance, value, and methods of another field of intellectual endeavor."

New Atheist propaganda is just as strong af far right Christian propaganda.

Everyone in this tread (not posting) keeps talking about the 'new atheist'. I don't know from 'new', I'm just an atheist. Go ahead and believe what you want, I won't argue. Just leave me out of it.

I look at history and see the harm religion has done vs. the good and I'm not impressed. I look at the world and think if there is a god he's a right bastard.

So I'll continue to live a moral, law abiding (mostly) life. Not for some god, but because I'm an intelligent and mature human living in a society.

>"New Atheist Propaganda"
How is science propaganda? Oh sure, don't let the "man" keep you down with his 2+2=4 propaganda

an person who wishes to remain an atheist cannot be too careful of what he reads

implying that science has somehow disproved the existence of God

it's not up to science to disprove anything. It's on religion to prove God's existance

Implying that believing in something that science can't test makes any type of sense whatsoever.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

See

Equivocation is crap.

This is so true. Imagine how much more Sir Isaac Newton could've accomplished if he didn't waste half his time with religious matters.

No religion=no religion. Define suefyxg.

implying that the only way a human being can know anything is through the power of reason

this:

Ok go be interesting and promiscous!

Way to deny it with your "facts" "supported by science"

Dawkins and his four faggots are the worst things to happen to the scientific community since the dark ages.

Do you ever stop and think about how bad John, Bill and Lori's lives have become because of this banana? I do sometimes. I think about how John J. Callanan hasn't uploaded a new marketing video in over 6 months. He probably has a family to support. His kids can't even eat three solid meals a day because all of his potential employers associate him with that shit-eating banana picture.

Lori can't get away with posting anything online anymore without a thoughtless barrage of "Thanks, Lori" comments. She pretends that it's genuine, that somebody, somewhere cares about her well-being. But deep down she knows it's a lie. She knows that every day is a struggle to escape her past. Her innocent approval of that naked banana will haunt her until death finally embraces her and takes her away from this hell.

Bill, on the other hand, is too clueless to get it. He'll go on thinking that BH Ideas is making an impact in "personal branding" and continue to laugh at that banana picture whenever he opens the file. We all know he has the file, because he saved it. It's all his, my friend.

implying that religion is always and has never been anything but a rigid belief system

Science and religion are two non-overlapping magisteria (NOMA) each existing in a "domain where one form of teaching holds the appropriate tools for meaningful discourse and resolution". In Gould's proposal, science and religion should be confined to distinct non-overlapping domains: science would be limited to the empirical realm, including theories developed to describe observations, while religion would deal with questions of ultimate meaning and moral value.

implying, correctly, that there are only 2 world views, atheism-science vs. religion-anti-science

They're "mean" only verbally, and unfriendly with despots & their enablers. Good for them, I say.

implying this:

I'm not implying that at all. I don't know how the hell you inferred that.

Whoever gets 727777777 is the new god.

who cares what Pigliucci thinks. Philosophy (real philosophy) is rooted in ethics. Does stealing a loaf of bread to feed a starving family make a person good or bad? They're questions based on moral conclusions because it's up to people to discuss the values actions and situations.

While it's important for society to have morals, that doesn't neccessitate "religion" or that an invisible man has the correct answers to human dilemmas.

So, I still have no idea what you're talking about. Atheists are all for morals, and all against people throwing gay people off roofs because of some bullshit in a 2000 year old book. Sorry...not sorry.

implying that you (like most arrogant intellectuals) could not possibly contradict yourself

Derp the cure for bad naziism is good naziism! The cure for bad child molesters is good child molesters! Not abandonment of child molestation!

implying that religion is the cause of humanity's stupidity

ok explain a NON SUBJECTIVE way to KNOW something. hmmm. Not a "Gut Feeling" or a hunch. And we're back to the power of reasoning, because it in fact can be proven (yes I know that's worded somewhat poorly)

I'll say it explictly. that's exactly what it is, that's where "dogma" comes from. They spend infinite amount of energy killing people via the inquisition to ensure their own power to force their beliefs until a sufficient amount of time went by and people realized the church is making shit up.

implying that using the word "implying" implies that you know what you're talking about from which we're to imply that you're smart.

Religious studies not equal to intellectual endevour

Yeah crazy how atheists might be autistic, but Catholics rape kids. Watch out for those atheist autists!!!

implying a fundamental misunderstanding of religion from a scholarly standpoint and not from a believer's standpoint

>atheism is a religion

Mfw I see a religious sheep

implying that either circular reasoning or inductive reasoning are both perfectly valid

(how else do you justify reason as the only way to know something)?

Do you believe in magic? I hope you do.

>false equivalency and mocking

Way to miss the point cunt.

implying this:

implying that you have been left without a clever retort and you are now simply annoyed

Implying, implying, implied...imp...lied

implying this:

Hi welcome to Sup Forums. The only god you need to worry about is the god of dubs. check'em.
implying dubs don't rule your life.

also implying that you are a newfag who does not understand /b's long tradition of implying shit

Implying you even care about this convo. Where you from, Alerbamher or someting?

implying that a random, coincidental pattern of numbers has any real meaning

that started like 6 months ago. fuck you

implying that -that hat needs to be set afire while that cringe-worthy nerd is wearing it

finally admitting that there's no real meaning in anything. Thank you.

> 6 months ago

NEWFAG DETECTION CONFIRMED

implying a believer's standpoint is legitimate

Yeah and the Westboro people represent all Christians

implying that simply pointing out the premises of arguments in and of itself makes any value judgement

It is more the product of it.

Good job, you got him. Don't forget to add that to your resume right under 'haven't killed self yet'

Kill'em all and let dubs sort'em out.

That's fucking Thor though you dumb nigger...

implying this:

Westboros are based.