Just started learning guitar a few days ago. Any tips so I know before I fuck something up? Also guitar thread

Just started learning guitar a few days ago. Any tips so I know before I fuck something up? Also guitar thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VksFM8fSfNc
youtube.com/watch?v=BjLXECI08d4
youtube.com/watch?v=QVF_w5XvlLg
bit.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Learn to play a cool instrument like the slide whistle

Try not to set it on fire

Buy lots of guitar picks. L o t s

Swing to the left, not to the right, it might be a bit harder to learn it like this at first but it pays off, trust me.

What this guy said. Your going to lose some picks.

justinguitar.com

Learn chords G, C and E. You just learned half of the shit you will ever play. Plus, experiment a bit with your free fingers to add a bit of sound to the chords. Bitches won't know it's basic shit and be all over your dick.

I recently got my first guitar as well. I've been trying to play Crazy Train but it just doesn't sound right. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Don't be like all the other fags and play with your fingers.

Don't forget D

focus on both hands. strumming is important. buy a soft, medium and hard pick to see what fits you best, i personally like soft ones.
printing out blues scales and soloing over backingtracks is a great way to practise.
electric guitar is easier to start off with. if you got an electric - buy a loopstation.

Guitars are alot more durable than you might think.

I feel totally confident in taking my acoustic by the strings over the sound hole and let it hang.

Sure, D is okay.
To add: Power chords F#, G#, Bb, and C#.

Trololololol

>sound hole
no thanks pal

There is a difference between trolling and joking.

Been playing for 11 years
>Don't get discouraged
>Take breaks completely from playing music if you're feeling discouraged(1 or 2 weeks)
>Don't get stuck on one music genre
>Learn to play to a metronome
>Learn alternative picking
>Learn how to read tabs
>Find the right strings for you (can go a bit more into detail on this one if you want)
>Experiment and have fun

youtube.com/watch?v=VksFM8fSfNc

you don't need to learn music theory, I never officially did, but having an understanding of how chords work is smart. the video i linked is great.
Also, don't learn wonderwall

>not playing banjo instead
You make me sick

I mean, Maybeeeeee....

no Hunter......I will teach you !

Learn all of the open chords and get good at playing them and transitioning between them. Once you can play those pretty good, you could move on to learning the major scale or something. Focus on one thing at a time, though.

Learn at least basic music theory. It won't make you play better but it will make you progress a lot faster.

This is now a gear thread.

this basically
i never bothered learning anything theory, but i learned the basics after playing for about 7 years and everything made so much fucking sense lol. shit clicked instantly

i third this, and a pick holder as well, to be absolutely sure you know where your picks are at

Or y'know, just finger pick and not have this issue

I don't get how you fags lose so many picks. I only buy new picks because the old ones get worn down.

Keep spare strings around and learn how to change them now, because they are bound break at some point

Or just grow your nails out.

>learn how to do a power chord
>memorize where the power chords of E, A, D, G, B are
>???
>profit

just use finger pads

Still won't sound the same though

make sure you use all your fingers, neglecting your pinkie is a hard habit to break

>2017
>using pics to play an acoustic guitar

i hope u faggets arent doing that

great advice, almost all newbies struggle with incorporating their pinkie

21y here.

> put videos with your favourites artist or songs and play triying to get the sound

> Search backing tracks about soul/funk/blues/flamenco/ballads/etc play schales learning or earing

There's a lot of tips dude. you will found but at the first of all; express your feelings with that precious thing

enjoy your new heart!

Finger exercises. Lots.

And you can't play pretty much anything.

you cant say shit like "express your feelings with that precious thing" to a fucking begginer. nigga dont even know how to hold the fucking guitar properly

Try ear learning, it's as easy as separating each note in your mind as you listen and then slowly searching for each note on your guitar... It can be frustrating but it's worth it

LEARN THE NOTES ON THE FRETBOARD, and make sure you're playing cleanly. work on your open chords first and invest in a decent capo.

I want to see you play this without a pick:
youtube.com/watch?v=BjLXECI08d4

oh nigga please

just grow your fucking nails, after some time you can even do solos with your index

go listen to dire straits

>i dont know the difference between an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar

Well, he doesn't have 3y old. He knows what is the feeling and he should be looking for how to do it. Looking for express the feeling it's very good while you are learning A,B,C,D

>op playing 04:38
youtube.com/watch?v=QVF_w5XvlLg

Won't help, if your nails wear out or break before you even finish one song.

Says the one advocating finger picking for all guitar playing.

yep
Your advice is bad and you should feel bad. How is he supposed to "feel" and "express" when he can't even play an arpeggio.

Don't listen to this faggot. Power chords are just a dumbed down version of basic chords. Play this shit too much and you'll be like Nickelback.
Learn your basic chords then progress further and further when you memorize them well

for those of you that actually write music, what do you do to get out of slumps?

Don't forget to use your fingers on your right hand as well. Your music taste will likely swing wildly back and forth, and whilst you might love shredding to tech metal today, tomorrow you'll be craving the finger picking sweetness of bossa nova

Drugs

>if your nais wear out or break

you need more kreatin, you little princess. have you ever seem a decent classic guitarist using fucking picks? you are not suppose to fry an fucking acoustic guitar you mongoloid

Everyone learns differently though. I basically only played metallica songs my first 2 years of playing, but when i learned that i could put voicings on my power chords shit really opened up. Makes for some really cool chords.

Not everyone wants to play that style. Picks aren't for convenience, they produce a desired sound.

Have you seen any metal player use their fingers with an electric guitar?

I never understood this, how can you neglect it? Even a basic pentatonic scale requires the pinkie for the second note. If you can't correspond one finger per fret, then surely you'd know you were doing something wrong...

I tune my guitar really weird, and then try to figure out how to play that tuning. You have a mental map of how to navigate the fretboard in say standard or drop tuning, but when you tune your guitar in FAGDAD or AGCFAD you gotta work some shit out. Really recommend doing this, works great for me. And also drugs.

If you're struggling holding a chord literally just sit with your guitar and hold your fingers in place don't even play and hold

NIGGER, this thread is about OP asking for tips about ACOUSTIC GUITARS

are you fucking retarded?

>And also drugs.

great advice for people who want to become instantly worse at their instrument.

yes, not a lot though, but one of the guitarists of Kvelertak plays with only his fingers.

lots of weed, lots of booze, the lyrics are always shit but who cares

Man they're so cool

This is a guitar thread, not only acoustic guitar thread.

It's about writing though, not learning to play.
ya seen them live 3 times, always fun guys to drink with as well.

Lost half my pinkie end to a door when I was 4, can't learn decent piano for this reason.
How shafted am I with guitar?

>John Lennon
>Jimmy Page
>Jimmy Hendrix
>Dimebag Darrel
Spoken like a true square

Make a point of jamming for 20-30 mins in bed every night before you go to sleep. Write any old shit lyric that pops into your head in a notebook. 2-3 weeks later you've probably got at least the beginning of a song somewhere.

You have to learn how to play Wonderwall by Oasis

There's not an issue, you can still play the guitar fine. There will be some chords you won't be able to play of course, but shit finds a way. Hell, Django Reinhardt only had 2 fingers and a thumb to work with and he's one of the most renowned guitarists ever.

Practice literally any song by Arctic Monkeys. You'll learn that shit within an hour and also feel accomplished once you do learn

right or left?

Oh guess I didn't get that

I don't have a problem coming up with riffs, but I don't work on them unless they instantly interest me. I'm incredibly picky on what I'm gonna put out. Sadly, it leads to not a lot getting put out lol.

Don't try to strum with a blunt in your hand like me... Took a while to get it out of the guitar

Posting my baby.
Any other Martin guys here?

Right strumming, left chords.
I would struggle more with right hand chords as I broke my knuckles a few times fighting when I was younger

kek u ass

on what hand are you missing your pinky

been playing for 14 years, ama

Yeah I feel you man, but honestly give a go.
You get entire months where you just bin the pages because it's utter shite, but you occasionally get a few diamonds along the way

what can you tell me about ephrygian or wathever it's called scales? i think they are pretty neat, any tips to learn it properly?

Does anybody have any tips on things that I can do to learn where frets are without looking? Likewise, with the strings. If I look at one, the other suffers. It's like a balancing act.

Its called the lint lint filter of your dryer. Always a good place to find a guitar pick.

lmao at FAGDAD

This will simply come with time. Most people with a bit of experience can play without looking at all. In fact, there have been plenty of blind guitarists throughout history.

Play more. It's the only way to train your muscle memory.

I don't know a lot of theory, although I have a strong basic understanding. But when I want to learn a new scale I try to find out what notes it goes along with, and I try to "dissect" the scale into parts.

I make sort of a mental map over where I can play and where I can't. You just have to find the method that works best for you though. There aren't any "secrets" to getting good, it's just practice, although efficient practice is of course, the best.

Right hand, pics to follow

Use your pinky on your fretting hand from the start, it'll be easier in the long run.

I promise you, FAGDAD is a dope af tuning.
Then it should have no effect at all. You use your right hand to strum, or hold a pick. Unless you're trying to only play with your fingers, it won't be a problem.

Basically, phrygian is a mode, which isn't a conventional scale. It's a variant of that scale that is shifted up a few tones, yet keeps the intervals of the original scale.

there are tutorials online , they're called musical modes and there are a bunch of them, I hate you

I also forgot to mention that I have my 7 string currently tuned in FAGBABE

phrygian was used to be known as the jewish scale, no joke

Sweet, didn't think it would matter too much
Pic for bantz anyway

I've always called it egyptian or gypsy scale

bit.
ly/2o0sFsf