Has anyone here lived in some extremely remote place, like Antarctica or Svalbard? What was it like?

Has anyone here lived in some extremely remote place, like Antarctica or Svalbard? What was it like?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboa_(research_station)
antarctica.fi/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I once went into your girlfriends vagina. Trust me that is a remote place. You ain't never been there before. It was tight, and pretty good.

people getting you down, OP?

I spent the first few months of my life here:

Believe it or not there was a community there.

Nope. Just interested what it's like to live in a place that's not ideal for living.

Does that place even have a name? I bet ou don't remember much about it?

It's called Leo Creek. It had a restaurant and a mill. There were trailers everywhere.

How many people live there?

i live in longboat key florida
literally no niggers

That's not really remote and the climate isn't hostile.

Svalbard's pretty high tech. Not much different from living anywhere else where it's cold, besides the remoteness. Not many places to go to, very small community. My sister lives there, so i've been a couple of times.

Does the remoteness affect people? What does your sister do there?

i've signed up for my country's antarctic programme, hoping to get picked some time in the near future. you don't even need qualifications, just be an able-bodied worker.

Cant fo to antarctica, its the edge of the earth, u will fall off.

What are you going to do there?

station upkeep i imagine. they can't make the scientists do all the menial labour so they get others to do it. having qualifications is good though of course, they do need chefs and stuff too.

you could always go to the falkland islands, remote but not like svalbard or antarctica.

Ah, thought you could have been some science guy.

I'm not moving anywhere, just interested in people in remote places.

Works at a hotel, hard to tell because we're both used to that kind of wheather and similar remoteness anyways, i don't think she really minds it. Svalbard's more of a tourist place than anything else at this point, there's a university there too, so it's a lot different than like the science expeditions of antarctica. You aren't really that isolated up there

nah just like you, i have an interest in places like antarctica. if you have the chance to go there why pass it up?

The pics I've seen of Svalbard make the place seem more like temporary settlement but I guess in the end it doesn't differ much from a regular small village.

Well I don't have the chance but I don't think I would move there even if I had. I don't think there would be suitable work for me.

there's no downside to signing up for your country's antarctic programme online, takes a few minutes and maybe they'll need you one day.

We don't have that sort of programme.

what country are you from?

Finland.

Nah, at least not Longyearbyen where she lives. That's like the capitol though, there are several smaller towns, and the russians have some pretty shitty places back from when the coal mining was still big

Huhe, you should know all about remote places then

finland apparently has a station

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboa_(research_station)

antarctica.fi/

would probably be easier for you to work in the arctic i imagine though

No niggers in Florida? Lies

How did the Russians even end up there?

Well not really. There are very few places here that are uninhabited.

Yes, but it's a weather research station and I'll soon be a mechanical engineer. It's not just some place you can go either. There's no form you can fill online or anything. And to be honest, I'm pretty happy living here.

They came for the whaling when people first started moving up there i think, just been hanging around doing russian things since then, but most of their original towns have been abandoned after the mining settled down. Ruskies gonna rusk

A friend of mine was sent to a penal colony in Spitsbergen during the 1960s as punishment for having avoided military service. Not high-tech back then.

>Ruskies gonna rusk
They pretty much turn everything they touch into misery.

Lol, wat? Never heard about that before, your friend's gotta be like 75 then? What'd they do at the camp? They've brought and built tons of stuff up there lately, i can imagine it being a bit less cozy earlier

Cold is for crazy people. The remotest place I've been to is four degrees north of the Equator, a Maroon village in the rain forest of Suriname. No roads anywhere and the river is full of piranha, so the only way in and out is by bush plane. You have to ask permission to visit from the elders when you get there and you have to give them a bottle of the best rum, which is used in your welcoming ceremony. A lot more fun than passports and visas and Customs officers.

What were you doing there?

>Cold is for crazy people
Cold is much better than heat. You can always put on more clothes but you can't take off more than you're wearing.

Yeah, you're right, he'd be 75 or so. Maybe even 80. I lost touch with him years back when he was living in Glendale, near Los Angeles.

Arne Wang from Bergen. Interesting guy. He said they had him taking meteorological readings and cleaning the place up, which sounded like an excuse to prevent the Russians from planting their flag on the archipelago.