Do you watch movies with subtitles on or off?

Do you watch movies with subtitles on or off?

I'm not fucking deaf.

I am

On. Pretty sure I have a learning disability, helps me retain information if I can also read it.

sorry

I'm not a native amerilard speaker so I usually get english subs to get a better grip on dialogue.

Only if they're in Japanese or Korean. I can handle Spanish, French and German as long as the plot isn't complex as fuck.

Came here to post this

Sometimes I'll use subtitles. Like, when I watched The Assassination of Jesse James, I was super fucking grateful for the subtitles because the voice-over was so dense and written in this bizarre half-modern half-period vernacular that I would NOT have picked up on at all without the visual aid. So it helps sometimes

Sometimes I use them if I can't understand the characters too well..

Whenever I am learning a language I will, so easy to mishear and misunderstand words

This

FOR YOU

I watch a fair amount of foreign shows, so I'm used to subs, I often just keep subtitles on for English shows.

It is interesting as sometimes the subtitles don't quite match and can sometimes add something. Also it helps with accents (I watch British shows and some drunken Welsh are incomprehensible without subs).

I think this would've been unwatchable without them

Unwatchable if you're a non-english speaker, native speakers have no excuse

That's an ugly dog

I thought the american accent was pretty universally understood

>3300
double dubs, nice

>The land that still uses imperial measurements
How the fuck can anyone understand a nation that's stuck in the 1700's.
Let's go shoot some shit Burgerland.

Only really sheltered americans think there's one "american accent", their own. An American hillbilly is just as unintelligible as a British hillbilly. An American gangbanger's vocabulary are just as weird as the Brit gangbanger's vocabulary until you've gotten used to it. Except in the US you've got gangbangers from all over the continent, whereas in Brit shows it's always London slang, so you pick up on it faster.

I keep them on because there's always some noise that makes you not hear one of the words. Like if you want to eat a snack, or a car goes past the window or some shit. Not to mention shitty sound-levels in action movies where you can't have the volume at a good setting to hear what they say without having a punch sound like an atom bomb.

I was thinking recently that there should be something out there to equalize all the sound to fix that I mean it's 2016 after all

Yes, standard, midwest, normal paced american english and no slang.

Take the wire, for example: a lot of slang and murryland accent.

I don't want the sound equalised. I just don't want the dialogue to be whispers while the fights/car-chases/explosions/music are loud, leading to them being loud enough to wake the neighbours when you raise the volume enough for the dialogue not to be whispered.

I knew a guy who used to do this, he wasn't even deaf.
The kid was a grade A weirdo, even by Sup Forums standards. He was some type of closeted homo/bisexual, vegetarian, weird mom fetishist (his own), simpsons and wwe fanatic (strictly wwe, nothing else), permavirgin mommas boy with a gimpy leg. I remember his mom used to show up at school during recess and make him brush his teeth. In highschool I discovered he didn't know how to ride a bicycle, that alone blew me away more than anything I'd ever known about him before and after

Just a psa to everyone here: Never trust someone who puts subtitles on when they watch tv, unless they legitimately have hearing problems

is this pasta?

Was the guys name Brian? If not, I also know someone who matches that description perfectly. Scary.

Unfortunately not

this is a giant sack of shit film. no subtitled unless i didnt hear something properly

No, I'd give out his name (even dox the fucker if I hadn't lost track of him) but I wouldn't want this coming back to me somehow. It wouldn't surprise me if he frequents this site.
I just remembered how he pissed himself in class for some unknown reason, maybe medical but most likely cowardice from not wanting to ask permission to use the bathroom. This dude used to sleep with a nightlight plugged in, according to his father, he was "afraid of the night". This happened even after we graduated from highschool btw

This.

With because my hearing is not so good

....damn

How can you type?

on

always

On, because actors tend to fucking mumble sometimes, english isn't my first language.

Just so I never have to go "wtf did he just say" and interrupt my show to press 3 buttons to dl subs on kodi. I also like learning new words.

Off. I used to have them on all the time by figured I could manage eithout them

Are you autistic?

only for foreign movies

i sometimes pause and rewind and put on subtitles if i can't understand what someone said but that doesn't happen too often

I only watch subbed anime so yeah

I got into the habit of it since I used to have to keep it down to not wake others.
Sometimes you get the fun bonus of the subtitles being different from what's actually being said

Depends whether my wife is arguing on the phone with her son's dad again when I'm trying to watch the movie, or not.

I usually try to watch films when she goes over to shout at him in person. Then she's normally away for a couple of hours and I get to enjoy my kino in peace.

Do you like death grips