Are the directors sane? This is the most surreal shit I've seen in a while...

Are the directors sane? This is the most surreal shit I've seen in a while. Even if it's meant for people with 2 digit IQ's it's completely without taste. The movie's been shit really shit so far. Poor art direction. Lacks an eye of a good director. Flatly uncreative.

Why is she speaking mexican

the directors previous film was Anchorman 2.
Just shut up, realise its a comedy with a certain shock value of how stupid the economy was and still is

I may be a fucking idiot but I didn't even understand the 'dumbed down' version. Funnily enough I read an explanation in a thread once that made it all perfectly clear. I'm guessing even the 'dumbed down' explanations were meant to be confusing, if not then it was all poorly executed, much like the entire film.

You might just be an idiot

Although it is kind of complex and abstract at times. I understood a lot of what they were talking about and I think I 'get' what the act of shorting is and what it does, but I do not have a single clue how shorting actually works.

I actually thought it was good in a education sort of way. I mean I can see this movie being shown to first year business students.

it's somalian, dumbass

>This is the most surreal shit I've seen in a while.
Surrealism is the reality of the financial world.

Perhaps.

But like I said, if the alternative explanations were sincerely put there to actually explain to the dumber members of the audience what was actually going on, and not simply done for comedic effect, then they failed.

I thought it was a great film. Never once felt pandered to, but never felt confused either. It's hard to defend criticisms of the exposition without resorting to 'well you're clearly thick as a stump'.

Actually the Robbie thing caught me off guard and I didn't at all pay attention to her. Same with the Bourdain one because I'm a fan of his. The Gomez one was actually pretty good and made sense to me.

I wonder if they're so out of context and distracting that they detract from what they're trying to do.

You rent stocks then sells it to rebuy later by a cheaper price and return to the owner. Simple as that.

I never realized I was surrounded by such idiots. Sike, I knew.

What was the point of having the celebrity cameos?

And why are Bale and Pitt's characters so autistic?

Why don't you fucking tell me the name of the movie

The Big Short, you retard. How did you not figure it out from reading this thread?

This shit was fucking retarded.

I thought they were trying to make a point that everybody pays attention to the market collapse NOW when celebs are the ones talking about it too late to do anything about it but when it was just normal accountants warning everyone what will happen nobody listened.

But no it was just the director thinking that the audience were a bunch of retards and/or he couldn't think of any less intrusive way of providing exposition.

Even when that's specifically what Ryan Goslings character is doing breaking the fourth wall throughout the entire film.

>at the end of the film they actually say "they blamed immigrants and poor people"

Fuck this piece of shit movie.

>And why are Bale and Pitt's characters so autistic?
Name one single character of those two that's not completely autistic

how can you faggots be so financially illiterate?

i mean i know i got a degree in finance from wharton but how can you be so dumb? this is shit i learned as an 18 year old.

is Sup Forums really just a bunch of 15 year old autistic fucks?

i remember LOST posting. i've been here since the beginning.

if you don't know what a CDO is or can't even understand how to short stocks like some idiot in this thread, it's time to reevaluate your life.

instead of fucking watching blockbuster movies and being 'smarter' than others for criticizing them, maybe read a fucking book.

HOLY FUCK.

>sike
Lmao

Same thing

Why are white people so mad about movies all the time google?

>mina sidor

>not using English subs

You from Kiruna or some shit m8?

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit but it was obviously trying super hard to be Wolf of Wallstreet

i didn't go to finance school, i went to finance

Educate us.

Concise understandable explanation of CDOs and short stocks please.

Be of value today.

Oh please, as if knowing how to short stocks is some benchmark for intelligence.

>comparing it to the only other wall street film he's seen.

It was trying to be like Margin Call and Inside Job for dummies

like me

its not mean to confusing in anyway. it was meant to spoon feed

the only disappointing part of the movie is the stupid back story about christian bailes character having one eye(dont know if thats accurate to facts or just hollywood shit, i assume the latter) and the fact that they never mention that the whole business of giving loans out to shitty people that would never pay was enforced by the government in 1979 with the "fair housing" law

>>at the end of the film they actually say "they blamed immigrants and poor people"
oh yeah i forgot about that bs add that to this and it was aight of a movie

investopia dot com

>investopia dot com

>investopedia dot com

fixed it for ya

>She tells you to fuck off

Muh dick

whoops thanks m8, and anyone who doesnt understand the stuff go to this site, its a giant wiki with dictionary and all kinds of little summary lessons for everything economics, its what i used for college econ

I like how you mention your no name school. lol

Not even him (and I doubt he even went there) but are you trolling or do you not know what Wharton is?

film was garbage

Nobody cares about your shitty school, grandpa.

/thread

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH holy shit

I googled a lot of stuff in the movie and it checks out. The surfy market wizz guy is realz basically he can for tell market opportunities and realized that he could bet on the housing market failing. The stock market is one big gambling racket.

get let me just check the college top lists....

Ok there's university of pennsylvania....

Oh the page ended but it's only been the top 50 schools surely your wharton is up there? let me go onto the next page.

Nope still no wharton, I'm just gonna stop here.

This. Part of the movie's point was showing how jargony and esoteric the financial system is, and the movie posits that it's in part to keep the uninitiated confused to the whole thing

It's part of the University of Pennsylvania and it's the top business school in the country you mongs

just say you went to UoP then you tard. No one actually says their sub-college names, i.e. you've probably heard of USC but never of Keck Medicine in USC.

I didn't even go there.
It is commonly known as Wharton.

I think its more because its been a fairly esoteric industry for a long time. You always get confusing industry jargon in something that has been around for a while.

Its only recently that day trading normies really started getting involved.

>the stupid back story about christian bailes character having one eye(dont know if thats accurate to facts or just hollywood shit, i assume the latter)

nah, that was true. Famously, he blamed his glass eye for all of his problems interacting with people. Then, when his son was diagnosed with asbergers, he came to the realization that he had been on the spectrum his entire life.

#BTFO

Yes, truly. Well done my friend

Oh alright then dude, congrats on graduating from a well known school then. (lol)

I'm arguing for the Hollywood thing. I thought it was meant to show how the character couldn't see the world through depth perception, and so he found another way to understand the world through raw numbers etc. I.e. The autist 'saw' the world through a different lens

>My ignorance is everyone elses problem

lol

What kind of shit post is this

>people don't know my school
>if I pretend it's a big deal then it will be
harvard, yale, princton, MIT, or stanford, WHARTON. Oh there it is, I didn't see it because it was in first place (lol)

>2015
>making a movie chastising people behind the 2007 financial crisis
>act like you have some cutting social commentary
>really just dumb down the facts after accusing the bankers of believing people are dumb, and in the end just cynically say "yeah and they'll do it again we're fucked :("

What is the point of this movie? In 2009 or so it could have played into current anger but lazily cynical tone at the end has nothing new to say, it just endorses giving in and accepting that you'll get fucked again and again. I'd say it does more harm than good in encouraging people to not let this keep happening

Man you are dumb

Sorry I didn't graduate from Wharton like you did. lol

Yes, I liked it and thought it was interesting but you make a good point.
If nothing else it hopefully taught regular people that the whole financial industry is propped up bullshit and that these Wall Strest guys aren't always the infallible geniuses they claim to be.

Also hopefully it teaches people not to be suckered by mortgage bankers and to invest in real estate more reasonably and safely.

Yeah, Burry (?) is a boss. Kept beating the S&P for his hedgefund's RoI for the better part of a decade before saying "fuck making money for other people, I'm focusing on my personal portfolio"

Can we have an AMA with this Wharton graduate? Think we could all learn a great deal from his ability to graduate from a top business school with really good grades.

(You)
Please stop shitting up a thread that has actually has some decent discussion for once.