Has Anyone Here Ever Have An Endoscopy?

Has Anyone Here Ever Have An Endoscopy?

I been having bad acid reflux lately and the dr refered me to an endoscopy in 3 days, im worried because i don't want to gag or choke.
Has anyone here had one b4?

No, but I never understand if they already know that you have acid reflux why you have to do endoscopy. What kind of bullshit is that? Give something to cure and fuckoff with that endoscopy. All sadist IMO.

Ask for anesthesia. You will be put to sleep for half an hour.

I had.
Just follow the instructions. Look down and swallow. It's very uncomfortable but you'll be able to breath. Focus on your respiration and don't panic.

Well its not really acid reflux, its more like, the doctors think that's what i have but since i have also been having problems swallowing, they want to check to make sure nothing bad is going on.
Because the acid reducing medicine they have given me hasn't worked at all :/

u get medication beforehand

I had one when I was 18. Horrible. The camera was way bigger than I thought. I threw up constantly during the thing but you are not allowed to eat for like 20hrs before the thing so nothing came up

this, also they give you sedatives and shit so you pretty much black out the whole time. I just concentrated on being as relaxed as possible beforehand. you'll be fine.

Brother has them all the time due to Esophageal issues. They give you this twilight drug, you won't care during the procedure (or feel anything) and won't remember the procedure even being done. Puts you out on your feet - no problem. Don't sweat it OP, sack up.

I had one
They keep you hungry on systems for 24h and then just jam the thing in with water
no medicine or anything
No need to be scared also

Damn wtf, did they give you a sedative?

Yeah. I didn't remember the sedation. I only remember the first part and pain atached to gag reflex. Let it flow!

No, but i'm getting one soon. I've had non stop acid reflux for a year. I even lost 15 pounds to reduce the amount of acid but i still get a little bit when I burp.

I've done it too and this is exactly my experience.

No, they said that they could gas me to sleep but that they would much rather just do it straight up. Being a man I figured I could deal with it. I got to see the live feed of the camera while they did it so I guess it was worth it. Anyway, they told me the lid to the stomach didnt close fully

I've had a cystoscopy before which wasn't so bad and that was up my dick hole. A girl I know had an endoscopy and she said the worst part was afterward she had a sore throat but the procedure is just a bit uncomfortable

It's to make sure there's no scarring in the esophagus.

Your gag reflex is purely psychological...
Like being ticklish.
Just try to control yourself

What kind of issues does your brother have?

it's fine, i was given valium beforehand i don't remember a thing.

They'll probably put you under a general anesthetic, won't they? I had an upper endoscopy (where they go down your throat, rather than up your ass) a couple years ago, and they stuck me with an IV and I was out the whole time. It was a piece of cake.

They're not bad at all and most of the time you're fully under so you just wake up not noticing anything. I find they've never worked for anything at all though. I have achalasia and they thought it was just acid reflux or gurt.

Yeh, just had minecfor the same reason. Take the sedative, otherwise it's like giving an Elephant a a Blowjob..lol Just relax, close your eyes, don't look at the tube breathe normal. You'll be fine...

Good advice,

I have performed a few endoscopies. It is very quick if you can relax and just breathe.

this.
I've had 3, and relaxing you can control the gag reflex.
Don't worry, it isn't a painful exam, in ten minutes it will end

I perform these in my clinic. Nothing to worry about. This is probably the safest procedure we perform. Scope will not touch your airways, so you will have endless room to breathe. I did it three times without any drugs at all. Just keepnyour chins to your chest and concentrate on the breathing. Smell the air, try to separate scents, feel the air's temperature etc. Could also google some mindfullness techniques. Those have proven to be effective. Not comfy, but safe. I'd say getting vaccines or eating steak is mich more risky. And to those suggesting narcosis: this procedure is completely safe until you start giving anaesthesia, which is much more risky in itself.

O wow should i tell them not to give me anesthesia?

I did it just fine without. Same with my patients. Not comfy, but at least I could drive home.

They'll give you a small dose of valium

No but Ive done one before. They're uncomfortable but not traumatic or anything

I have had a lot of them including 1 where they used a balloon to stretch me out and I haven't had trouble swallowing since. I also had two of them where they did what was called HALO ablation where they burn off the entire lining of the esophagis and they scrape off the burnt lining. That is the worst ones. Thr pain swallowing lasts for weeks afterward. I have never had any of them done without sedation and was not offered that choice even when it was just to look and see what was going on. I have barretts so will probably be having at least one a year for the rest of my life.

Tell him to do an anal endoscopic like you are used to,tell him to use lube and to hug you meanwhile.

It won't be bad OP, I had one and was given Propofol, quick 5 min nap and then they told me I have a hiatial hernia. If they give you propofol you won't feel anything and have a nice nap,also be prepared to not really remember anything for the rest of the day either...

No, it wasn't a camera, and his name was Jamal.

I have had two in the past 6 months due to a bleeding stomach ulcer. I can't remember either of them thanks to being given a retroactive amnesiac sedative.

Acid reflux is often a symptom of a stomach or duodenal ulcer, especially if like OP said the antacids aren't working.

It's all in the breathing, this sounds weird but try to breath through your mouth not your nose.

>implying OP isn't already a fat mouth-breathing neckbeard

Im like 170lbs 5ft 11 and im only 18, never drink or smoke.
Although i haven't been very active the last few months to be honest.

Endo is safe. You good.

Just hope their SOPs are in order and the scopes are properly sterilized and haven't expired :^)

Enjoy.

If you really wanna fuck with the clinic/hospital where ever you get the scoping done- Bite.
Those scopes are worth anywhere from $10,000 - $40,000 and any bite marks require the scope to be taken out of service and repaired.