youtube.com/watch?v=zwWO8UYjmfI
youtube.com/watch?v=-u8uNWIroJQ
soundcloud.com/user-121450679/owls-an-improvised-suite-in-around-5-parts
youtube.com/watch?v=8qW4SD33qVg
soundcloud.com/victorhugocult/lala-lover-demo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What are you listening to right now?
rap music

Are you trying to signal to those tender flowers your milkshake is available for drinking or are you just another world citizen whose aesthetic inclinations have been corrupted by the culture industry?

I find myself listening to a lot of Miles's in a silent way recordings. Things came together just enough there. Feels like a beta pressing of his fusion but the joke is its better than the retail version.

Blanton-Webster era Ellington. John Hardy Wife at the moment - which isn't the strongest of the tracks but does have one of the best Rex Stewart solos

I'm also listening to rap music, Paul's Boutique. Last night I listened to George Lewis - Homage to Charles Parker. that was pretty nuts.

WHAT THE FUCK user

Man, sorry i havent been able to contribute much. Just when i decided to start a trip i totally got fucked with work and life.
>Listening to right now
Pic Related IS FUCKING GREAT I LOVE IT, does anyone have a file they can share with me? I cant find it anywhere and wont have to money to buy the LP for a month or so.
>New Relases
YEAH! fucking arron parks with Ben Street and Billy Hart, new album on ECM, i liked it but i need to listen to it more. my roommates the one who has a copy though and idk when ill see him next but maybe ill convince him to lend it to me or send it to me. anyways look it up, super interesting and hart makes the other two sound slightly less gay and slightly more swinging.

>Just when i decided to start a trip i totally got fucked with work and life.
Always appreciate your contributions. What happened?

Almost finished transcribing this Seamus Blake solo. Fantastic melodic development.

thank you very much man. im just a student and took a whole lot of credit hours this semester. had finals, an intense jury that included being able to play giant steps through keys, and two pretty serious papers to write (an anthology piece on the third movement Messiaen's Quartet for the end of Time and an indepth analysis of the evolution on the harmonic styles of the Miles quintets from 56 to 70 with transcribed examples). on top of that spring is always a really busy time for gigs so i was playing out a few times a week during all this, i have a week long shit show of a tour next week, had some interesting lessons, and a loving girlfriend that i had to say bye to for a month or so. it was jut a busy time. all good now, back down in dixie relaxing with family and enjoying the weather. besides jazz and the acoustic bass, fly fishing is a pretty serious passion of mine and ill get to do some of that tonight so my soul is healing up nicely. Now i just have to find some work for the summer, looking in to being the scribe and librarian for a pretty high level RnB band in philly. just wanted to apologize for being one of the guys who encouraged and tried to help start the new incarnation of /jazz/ on here and then fucking ducked out for a month or so. anyone have questions or want some specific reccs? i have about 20 minutes or so before i have to split but ill probably be back on here lateish tonight.
Also this is beautiful
youtube.com/watch?v=y2av_rtzEHY

bumping before i head out for the night to do some fishing and drinking. Like i said ill be back on probably for a few solid hours tonight so if anyone wants reccs or has questions go ahead and ask, hopefully the threads up and i can see em and respond. ill leave you all with this, i fucking loooove this trio and i wish i had the scratch to get some of their LP's.

youtube.com/watch?v=KiURBauFiHA

post it

Why did no one tell me how good this is?

How did he get from this to Weather Report?

Not listening to jazz atm, think I'm gonna listen to the new Alex Sipiagin after I'm done the album I'm listening to.
I've been trying to listen to more free jazz lately. Heard pic related earlier today for the first time and I liked it. It's free but not completely insane "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" tier. Feels like everyone knows what they're doing and while I didn't catch as much direct interplay as I would have liked, everyone had a feel for where the performances are going and kept pace with each other.
>New releases you'd like to share?
I donno...I'll listen to the new Alex Sipiagin and see what I think.
>... etc., etc.,
I'm looking for a new standard or something to learn. Any recs on something with a nice chord progression that's relatively tricky?

via

It's on Soulseek. Lineup looks fucking sweet so I'm downloading it.

It might be a while before I get it into sibelius. Right now it's just written out, so probably very difficult for anybody to read but me.

Damn that sounds like an extremely hectic period with sadly some nasty stuff as well... Great to hear that you're on the way of feeling better.

I knew you were playing gigs but not so intensely as you described. That's really cool, I'm pretty jealous. Are your bandmates any good? What kind of stuff do you play? I was in a band as a drummer in the past, and even though we won first prize for something, 2 of the 3 bandmates sucked pretty bad.

Anyway I miss playing in a band sometimes, and for a long while now I've given up drums altogether because it just makes so much noise. That's why I bought an electric piano recently. But dang there's a long road ahead of me. I'm basically starting from scratch because it's obviously completely different from drums. I'll have to concentrate on my thesis for now though.

Here's a tune for you (bonus points: two bass players): youtube.com/watch?v=oVNah7G0uy4

what solo?

HOLY SHIT THIS IS GOOD!

Well I'm a generous motherfucker so here you go:

mega.nz/#!oIUQQBLC!37Y7NWt8GAqoC_pUmDyaEx3uGjstRfV8ZuYHX1KATNw

First few Weather Reports weren't cheesy fusion.

Seamus' solo starts around 2:40

youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7N7WuUT3c

This.
Something about playing fusion for too long seems to get to people though.

I actually thought it was one of his weakest albums yet. The track with the lyrics is meh and in general the counterpoint just doesn't flow as well as on some of his other albums. The solos are all pretty great though and a couple of the tracks are up there with his best stuff.

You're not a very good writer.

good shit, pal

Just going on a first listen, I was pretty blown away by the synth sounds and all the interplay. The arrangements and compositions weren't Destinations tier, but I still thought some of the horn arrangements and the soloing they facilitated were pretty great. I liked the vocalist too, I thought she fit the fusiony post-bop vibe and melded with the band pretty well, especially on that one she did without lyrics. I presume that melody must have been precomposed based on how close Alex was following it, but it was still a beautiful performance and the accompaniment was gorgeous.

I start to get more and more into jazz, and even though i like the genre, it seems to me that i miss a lot of things about how jazz is great. Any website or book recommandation for me to understand a little bit more?

I mostly listen to hard bop (Herbie's blue note period, Art Blakey, Hank Mobley, etc)

what do you mean by melodic development? isn't melodic development the whole goal of jazz solos? sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm still pretty new to jazz and I didn't really hear anything special about the solo

I liked the synths in some spots but in other spots they didn't work as well I thought. Harland doesn't really get into the interplay the way he has on some of Sipiagin's other records. I think Escreet is as good a soloist for this type of music as Taborn, if not better, but I definitely think Taborn is the better accompanist. I did like the vocal track with no lyrics. It's a cool idea to have one through-composed piece.

Where do you go to school?

I probably should have said "motivic development." That's the not correct term I guess. Anyway it's when you take your melodic phrase and repeat it but with variations so that it fits the changes of the tune. It's what makes jazz good. Sure you can run up and down scales that fit the chord changes but without melodic continuity there's nothing really interesting about a solo.

In that solo he starts a pattern like 3/4 of the way through that he keeps going with for a while and the rest of the band builds up with him to the high point of the solo.

since /jazz/ is mostly a traditional general for I could gathered, I wonder... what are its general consensus on jazz fusion, jazz-rock? The classics in the genre stand side by side as the ones of the bop era? What do you honestly think?

Thoughts on pic related? I personally really dig the really dirty sound and songwriting, although I'm not too hip to the singing. Has anyone else heard the record?

thoughts on Africa/Brass?

Sup /jazz/. What's a good player for specifically jazz albums? What I mean is, a music player that makes it easy to find an album by musician, e.g.: I'm listening to an album where Freddie Hubbard is in the line-up and want to find more albums that I have with him as a featured musician.

Go through RYM's top jazz albums of the decades and sub-genres you enjoy (later you can try sorting by year). Also check the discography of your favorite musicians. You'll be surprised with how many times that will lead you to awesome albums.

I personally find it to be one of Coltrane's weaker albums, but my favourite of his is "The John Coltrane Quartet Plays" and people generally don't like that record so I'm not sure if my opinion counts for much

You can always check the Allmusic discographies. Otherwise Spotify is decent, but kinda lacklustre, I would just recommend doing a quick search on Allmusic though

not sure if such player exists. you can always add the line up in the "performer" tag, but it gets messy.

Any recommended artists for an Erroll Garner worshiper?

thanks man, im really pretty bad with computers, i need to get hip to a bunch of stuff. really THANK YOU!
Haha ah man, i really appreciate it. Well, i probably do about half like complete freelance like i mean really anything kind of gigs that normally dont have rehearsal and are anything from jazz to RnB to singer song writer shit, really anything. the better you get the more selective you can be so i dont do too much of the kind of music i dont like but im happy on a soul gig or somethin. Then i have a rock/funk band i play with that i kinda hate and then i have a small roster of people that i play with in different settings but its basically the same band. The last one is kind of my pet project and definitely my favorite, i dont make much money with that band but its really fun and i love how we sound, the musicians are amazing and my best friends really. i mean i really love those people. just keep at it man, playing at any level is good for the soul! good luck!
true
yeeeeaaaaahhhh
Temple in Philly, its really good, better then it gets credit for imo.

>pic realted is a good ass album.

his tone here is fun here

lmao haven't seen that pic in ages

Thanks, Anons. I was afraid this would be the case. I guess I'll add the line-up to the "commentary" part of the tags along with using allmusic.

and that's about all the Arthur Blythe I know yet

RIP

RYM is also pretty useful in that regard, just go to "Credits" on the artists page and it will show all that artists appearances on other artist's releases and their own. Sometimes its missing credits for smaller releases and whatnot though.

Who was the better bassist? Scott Lafaro or Jaco Pastorious?

Listened to this from the quartet from Bowie's last album. It's super shit which would make sense considering what Blackstar was like, jazz-wise. McCaslin isn't so bad but the band is really boring and shit. David Binney plays on a few tracks but I couldn't tell from listening.

I'd have to say Jaco was the better bassist, from technique and song-writing perspectives, but I'm sure me and many others enjoy LaFaro a lot more.

Dave Ballou is so underrated

How can you really compare them when one only played upright and one only played electric? Anyway, Jaco played on some good records but never anything as good as LaFaro's stuff with Bill Evans.

I haven't really liked anything I've heard from McCaslin in the past few years. It's a shame because he's a fucking amazing player. No need to do all this extra shit. Just play good music.

This one isn't McCaslin's record but it's really good

I understand the different instruments, but both used basses without frets and both had a similar high-register playing style. Also I am asking more based on their contributions to the bands they played with and the albums they are on.

Pic related. This is so fucking great, one of this days i have to listen to 9 Compositions (Iridium) that has the same formation as pic related but it was like hours 9 long and is not longer available in spotify :( ... This guy is a monster

*9 hours long

sorry

I'm going to make a group and call it the 4(1+3) - 9tet

God I hate that album. Ive never felt like I wasted my time listening to a whole album quite like I did with this. Such fucking wasted potential with that amazing line up too.

i don't know very well, but i suppose is because is like a 12 piece orchestra and 1 (braxton) is the soloist

recommended listening for good jazz drums?

moon flight by rashied ali
but if you want to go for the final boss try pic related

I liked the first one, but that album might be a bit beyond me
I think I'll stick with something a little more my speed like Art Blakey

Anybody know who Black Arthur Blythe was?

you can try with something like ESP by miles davis then if you haven't heard it, tony williams is a great drummer

was*

CROUCH THE GROUCH IS HERE

Max Roach with Clifford Brown.
Art Blakey and the Jazz the Messengers.
Anything with Philly Joe Jones. (Blue Train and Milestones are where I started)
Jimmy Cobb with Wes Montgomery or Miles Davis
Elvin Jones with Wayne Shorter (Night Dreamer, Juju, and Speak No Evil)

youtube.com/watch?v=_AS71j5nysw

thanks lads

>people generally don't like that record
I didn't know that was the case. I really like that album too, along with Olé.

youtube.com/watch?v=zwWO8UYjmfI

Sounds cool. Try to make a record with your favourite group. Go for it, I'll buy it

Yes I'll keep playing, will get there eventually.

Helge Lien Trio's new album Guzuguzu, it's pretty good, check it out: youtube.com/watch?v=-u8uNWIroJQ

I really love it. I kinda wish he'd had a big band period like Miles or that Dolphy and Tyner had gotten to work more as arrangers, there's some incredible stuff on this album and I haven't heard too much like it elsewhere.
The solos are good too, albeit not among the best to have been played on a Coltrane album. That's comparing them to the rest of Coltrane's discog though, which is a little unfair. They're still fucking mind blowing in the grand scheme of things.

gypsy/continental jazz > the rest

Name one(1) gypsy jazz player besides django

soundcloud.com/user-121450679/owls-an-improvised-suite-in-around-5-parts

i don't get it

Pretty good.

Spoiler: JTG is Alex Sipiagin

not him but Bora Dimić

TRRRRAAAANNNEEE

kek. in all seriousness though I think he might actually be misha tsiganov

Ba-bump

>I think he might actually be misha tsiganov
Nah, the guy's done reviews of his records and praised them on here. I don't wanna believe that Misha or jtg would be that much of a shill.

Gong - Gazeuse!

I prefer the earlier Gong but Holdsworth's playing is always top notch.

>New releases you'd like to share?
I'm very behind when it comes to more modern jazz. There are a few guys I listen to (Ari Hoenig, Tigran Hamasyan) But are there any that people here would recommend? I'm a guitar player if that helps.

Not sure if it's jazz:

youtube.com/watch?v=8qW4SD33qVg

>But are there any that people here would recommend
You might like the new John Abercrombie if you're into ECM style stuff at all. The guitar playing is top notch in any case.
Try out Rudresh Mahanthappa's Gamak too if you haven't, the guitar player is smoking and Mahanthappa's recent releases have been really consistent.

I like free jazz but this honestly wasn't very good

What's the most obscure jazz record you still listen to semi-regularly?

eh, to each his own, its also just a rehearsal tape kind of thing. i also have been told the 2nd half is better then the first so if you didnt get through all of it that might help. i think the first half is kinda what makes the second half have any sort of effect but like i said, to each his own, im not offended.
thanks man!

If this isn't a joke then you should feel bad.

How do I get into jazz, any charts?

I die a little inside every time someone posts this.

I'm on my phone so I can't post any of the decent charts but hopefully someone else will.

You, take a listen to this. soundcloud.com/victorhugocult/lala-lover-demo
people have been calling it atonal jazz, pop avant garde. Been praising it and not knowing what genre this could be. You ask me? And i wouldn't even know what to call it. Except, that It's a new genre.