The most kino thing ever made is an animated mecha film that was meant to replace the original ending of a Japanese...

>The most kino thing ever made is an animated mecha film that was meant to replace the original ending of a Japanese anime due to massive uproar by weebs
How does this even happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=831686
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I haven't watch Eva since End of Evangelion. Should I watch Rebuild?

I don't know much about that, all I've seen is the opening edited to have hitler.

The new endings were the intended endings. They used up their budget prematurely and had to resort to the original ending.

no
maybe
First one is just a straight rehash of the beginning of the series with a boring self-insert character thrown in for no reason
Second actually makes some interesting new choices and tries to explore the story in a new way
Third is 13 year old fanfiction tier bad

first one is weird as fuck. EoE is amazing

>Mecha
Evangelion is barely s mecha series.

was this released in hd ever? cirterion bluray?

i'm kinda interested in rewatching it, but vhs quality won't cut it anymore.

>>nost whiny overrated anime ever

It's really good and interesting, don't let the first few episodes trick you, they're pretty good tho but they are a little too lighthearthed if you compare them with the second half.

Kino tends to mean good ironically here, in other words heavuing piles of shit.

On that basis I agree.

Also, fuck off to Sup Forums

>most kino thing ever made

That isn't Blade Runner...

No.

It was, but it's only available in a box set with the rest of the series that costs $400.

In actually liked the congratulations ending.
I mean, the whole thing does a good job a making you feel like shit borderline physically sick, so this grounded ending is kind of a salvation. The revisited ending had me depressed for a week.

please stop using kino as if it means anything more than german for movie theater

>that was meant to replace the original ending of a Japanese anime due to massive uproar by weebs
That's wrong though. End of Evangelion is the original ending. TV ending is the fake one that was made because they ran out of money.

The preview at the end of episode 24 even shows storyboard art of Asuka fighting the MP units.

Only in Japan I think. I've been downloading 55GB torrent blu-ray rip of NGE and EoE today at least.

Dude has synced versions of the English DVD dubs available on Mega as well

>second half

More like the last 6 episodes or so. I love the final episodes of EVA and EoE, but seriously, the original series is a pretty average anime for a good chunk of it.

It also mean cinema in polish
and wooden in japanese

>55GB
How the fuck do you fit over ten hours of 1080p footage in 55 GB?

also link?

The EVA powered battleship part was pretty bad, nearly dropped it for that alone.

>i-it's not the original ending even though it aired first as the ending to the original series

out-of-art factors constantly change and/or limit the final result, running out of money is no special case. congratulations is the original ending and the one they chose to air after running out of money

nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=831686

Read the spoiler if you want the Dub files

>meant to replace
You mean exist alongside
The last two episodes take place during the end of evangelion

Top kek, kys plebs

Every time I watch End of Evangelion I'm simply blown away by how good the direction is, it's literally on the level of directors like Kubrick and Hitchcock.

It's that good.

thanks nyuka

>Meant to replace the original ending

nope.

>babby thinks he's patrician for liking every 13 y/o's first "deep" anime

Congratulations, faggot.

4GB per hour is good enough with a decent encoding. it's also pretty much the standard

also, it's mostly animation, so it can have much lower bitrate than live action.

I was fifteen when I watched episodes 25 and 26.
I felt cheated.
Then I went online and found out Hideo couldn't make a proper ending because of funds.
Now an anonymous fella in a westerosi weirwood clabbering website tells me it's because weebs couldn't understand the finale.
Hmmmm.

I was fifteen when I finished chapter 2.
I felt cheated.
Then I went online and found out Hideo couldn't make a proper ending because of funds he spent on Joost action figures.
Now an anonymous fella in a westerosi weirwood clabbering website tells me it's because manchildren couldn't understand the third chapter.
Hmmmm.

For real though I also watched the series when I was 15 and while I could tell 25 and 26 are the way they are because of budget, there is some meaning in there. I thought about it for a few weeks and read some theories so it made enough sense eventually.

It's available on the Movie Box Bluray set of Neon Genesis Evangelion. All the movie cuts (Death and Rebirth, End of Evangelion and Revival) are in the box set. The thing costs 400$-500$ now (I bought mine from Japan at 330$, but I don't think it's still available at that price.)
It's only in japanese with no english subs.

>EoE
>kino
it's a movie at best, the series is true animekino

Nip amazon has it for about 28300 yen right now. Not sure how you go about converting your local currency to yen though.

Don't listen to the contrarians here. Just watch it and form your own opinions.

Personally though, as a massive fan of the original series? I don't know how I feel about the Rebuilds yet. It's a skullfuck thrillride overall and it'll probably make you jump out of your chair at points but I don't know if I'd call it "good", mostly because it STILL doesn't have an ending and part 3 was the skullfuckiest of the bunch. There's some fan-service in there that makes my stomach churn, but it sells figures I guess. Some great action scenes at the very least.

364 Canadian Dollars, or 279 US dollars. But that's before shipping, import and taxes.
I think it was still around 30k yen when it was released, but the canadian dollar was much stronger against the yen than it is right now.

>was meant to replace the original ending of a Japanese anime due to massive uproar by weebs

Ep.24's preview of the "next episode" makes it pretty obvious that this isn't how the series ending and movie came about

eva taught me that anime is shit

I know what it translates to, I meant more like actually finding someone to trade you an equivalent value of yen to your dollar. Really though even if it were a bit cheaper it's not worth it. Max I'd pay for all that stuff is $100 USD, and only that high because of the Death/Rebirth/End additional discs.

If your autism is this powerful over this small a thing, I cant imagine the fit you probably threw when they changed the colour of Sonics arms.

Yeah I'm sure it was weeaboos who did that, even though weeaboos may not have even existed then and Evangelion didn't start getting released in America until EoE had already been shown in cinemas.

They didn't run out of money, they had other production issues. The precious resource in anime production is not money, but time.

Is Kino no Tabi the most Kino anime?

I've heard it's good

It's a mix of things.
The network did cut their funding and threatened to pull the plug on the series all together when they were unhappy with some of the more violent stuff in Episodes 16 and 18 (lots of blood basically).
That meant the original planned ending would have to be reworked due to pressure from the network to make it less violent (the invasion of NERV and Asuka's final battle would have been too much, and those were clearly planned any storyboarded).
But Gainax did fuck up their time management in a way that meant they had less and less time to produce the next episode after one aired. That resulted in a lot of still frame sequences and simplistic animation in episodes 21-24 that has subsequently been improved by redrawing and adding new sequences in the "Director's Cut" versions of those episodes.

So Ep25 and 26 are a the result of making do with all sorts of shit going wrong with production.

Sailor Moon is quite Kino as well.

I heard they had to re-do one episode because of the Tokyo subway attacks and the original episode being too similar to them.

Time constrains was Gainax's excuse, but they knew what they were doing. The tapes with episodes 16 to 18 were delivered to the TV station 30 minutes before it was supposed to air, this was done because they knew there was a lot of things that the station would force them to modify if they saw the episode beforehand. After the parents complained about the violence and the sex scene, some sponsors did cut the funds (most notably Sega) and the TV station forced Gainax to give them the storyboards of the rest of the episodes. 25 and 26 couldn't be completed because of that.

Pretty sure that preview is added in the directors cut of that episode

Pretty sure those previews were added on the DVD release or something, after EoE was out.

sweet jesus kek

correct, it's using footage from the death & rebirth production

Guys, guys. You have to understand that while Anno had a plan, it mainly related to what themes he wanted to impart. He played the actual storyline by ear. EoE was the original intended ending, but he wasn't too bothered when he had to replace it with something more budget-and-censorship-friendly. He only went back and did another ending because of popular demand. Like, immediate popular demand. EoE started production about a month after episode 26 aired.

Do I need to watch anything else before EoE for it to make sense?

Well, I think to be able to see everything a health diet of chinese cartoons is needed, if for a the sake of being able to read the subs and see visually what's going on at the same time.

>but it's only available in a box set with the rest of the series that costs $400.
This is why I pirate anime.

You have to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion or at least the "Death" segment of Death & Rebirth.

EoE is effectively the last two episodes of the TV anime and provides little context for what occurred before.

Watch the Evangelion TV series, you won't understand anything that is happening if you don't.

*according to one fanwank theory

Part 1 is a retelling of the original, or what the fans expect.
Part 2 makes Shinji less of a pussy, gives Rei more personality, and makes Asuka a better tsundere, giving the fans what they want. Kind of like fanservice but on a character & storytelling level.
Part 3 is Anno spitting in the face of all the shallow unthinking fans who expected more like 2.22.
4.44 will be Anno purposely trying to make the fans upset, but they'll eat it up anyway because they're stupid.

Death is more like an extended tone-setting montage and slight refresher for people who hadn't seen the series in the 2-3 years since it aired, it won't bring someone starting at 0 up to speed.

Yes, you need to watch the 26 episodes of the show beforehand

I agree. Still the best anime shit I've seen.

All you need to know is

Misato, best girl

It's the only viable option for eva, but I got cowboy bebop for $25 and champloo was available for $20 recently

>Shinji less of a pussy, gives Rei more personality, and makes Asuka a better tsundere

thus destroying anything that made their characters unique in the first place and turning them into standard mecha anime characters

Wait for the last rebuild to come out this way you'll never watch them.

>fanservice but on a character & storytelling level
>by completely changing beloved character dynamics
wut

I like it when cartoons are weird like that

Eva was heavily inspired by Ideon and Devilman , which Anno loves, so it's pretty easy to see that he planned the EoE stuff but just couldn't do it.
Ideon and Devilman, the manga Devilman not the anime, are both dope shit.
Be Invoked is up there with EoE.

Sorry, but now the most kino thing ever made is a magical girl film.

I'd recommend watching the first 24 episodes of the series, with the directors cut of 21-24 if possible, then after watching the movie watch the last 2 episodes.

Why the last two after the movie? I've always though the opposite to be superior.

dc of 24 is shit m8

>thus destroying anything that made their characters unique in the first place and turning them into standard mecha anime characters
finally someone who gets it, i just don't understand why people liked 2.0, it really turns everything NGE had to shit, 3.0 at least did something original, instead of retelling the story in a shittier way, 3.0>1.0>2.0

>do i need to read books 1 through 6 before reading the final volume?

I'd recommed watching EoE alone, and forget about the Sup Forums series and the other movies which are in a different league. evangelion in general is 6/10, but EoE is a legit 10/10

>Part 2 makes Shinji less of a pussy, gives Rei more personality, and makes Asuka a better tsundere

>makes Asuka more generic
>removes any and all subtlety from Rei's character

It LITERALLY had a "cooking for the harem protagonist" scene you tasteless pleb piece of fucking shit.

>people think NGE was about fighting Angels and piloting giant robots

But there's no naked, suicidal Asuka in the OA version of 24

IIRC the only major change is that scene with Misato spying on Kaworu and some continuity shit they added with Gendo's hand and Lilith having legs

Cry more, faggot.

mostly i just think showing kaworu floating while talking to the seele monoliths takes the wind out of the ode to joy sequence

and wasn't the asuka stuff in the tv edit too? i could be mistaken on that one

>Placing 3.0 above 1.0

Impossibly shit taste tbqh fampai.

1.0 > 2.0 > 3.0

1.0 was literally just a prettier and somewhat simplified retelling of the series. Which isn't great, but beat absolutely everything that was to come.

2.0 had some decent ideas and started to veer off in an original direction that at least had potential. The opening scene with Mari fighting the escaping Angel was cool. Then they decided to have her take some of both Asuka AND Kaji's best scenes and go full Mary Sue with her, which was shit. The end with Shinji effectively "manning up" was emotionally satisfying but definitely wasn't in keeping with the tone of Evangelion. And of course it took a big shit on Rei and Asuka's characters. It was very hit and miss in every respect, mostly miss.

3.0 was shit in every respect. It threw out all the characters they had developed over 2 movies, it threw out the world and situation it had developed over 2 movies, and what did it do in return? What did it do with this opportunity? Gay piano scenes and an intense obsession with jerking spear shafts.

Even though I've been watching anime for years and have seen many hundreds, I still haven't watched NGE. I guess after seeing people arguing about it for so long it just seems like a pain in the ass.

It's pretty good senpai, not the best.

stop being a lazy fuck and at least watch the first 3 episodes.
If it doesn't hook you by then, at least you can say you give it a fair try.

I'm going to watch it some day but I don't know when.

OA version was censored with this shadow that makes no sense if you look at the way the floor is lit

>massive uproar by weebs

Keep perpetuating that myth, retard. Weeb also implies non-japanese people.

>simplified retelling of the series

Yeah, it's just a worse version of the first six episodes. It's even made more cliche e.g. after Shinji gets blasted at the end, his crawling for his rifle and Misato's confrontation with Gendo about believing in his son. Not sure who thought that was a good idea. It's above the outright bastardization of the series that is 2.0.

Evangelion is for emos who think they are 2deep4u and relate with all the pain and sadness the main character feels.

ah, i guess i had gotten the two versions of the scene mixed together in my memory.

I really liked 3.33 on a visual level, I think it's the best looking EVA has been, felt cinematic while 1 and 2, while nice, looked more like an expensive TV anime. Had lots of cool weird imagery to feast our eyes on, although the flying ship is kinda too far, I think, the amount of purely CG shots in the first third felt a little masturbatory. I really hope that half'n'half EVA doesn't happen in the fourth movie though.

The movie itself wasn't great though. All the characters shitting on Shinji while not explaining anything. Asuka just being angry for the sake of being angry, the new Rei being a retard, Mari contributing nothing, Kaworu not really managing to sustain an entire movie... I don't know, the whole thing feels misguided to me. Like, the means by which everything became shit for Shinji felt less like a logical, believable progression and more like Anno just deciding he wanted things that way without providing a good justification for it. Apparently the franchise has put Anno on the verge of another breakdown, that's why he did Godzilla to cleanse his pallette.

so you just wanted a cleaned up version of the original series? literally kill yourself
whats the fcuking point in this? the first one is completely useless, and for fucks sake it doesn't even look better thanks to digital, the second one was god fucking awful and the third one at least told anything new

The decisions they made with Rebuild 1 and 2 feel like they went "What if we let someone like Shinji, write Evangelion?"

It's too covered in digital fuckery for me, like all the rebuilds. The simplicity of the original, particularly EoE, look the best to me.

>I think it's the best looking EVA has been, felt cinematic while 1 and 2, while nice, looked more like an expensive TV anime
also this

I still hated how they turned best girl misato into a cold-hearted bitch