Help me choose my new guitar

Help me choose my new guitar...

Pic related is choice 1. Choice 2 to come.

Background: this will not be my only guitar. I own a high end PRS, a fender, and several cheapo Jap built guitars of various configurations. I do not gig. I play all kinds of music, but mostly rock/metal. I realize there are better deals and/or guitars out there, but I dont care. I just happen to have a hard on for Gibson SG's and particularly these two with the gold hardware.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eVBPGZEVRH0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Choice 2. Pic related.

Also, checkem faggots.

i own one. its my main guitar for 8 years now.
10/10 would own again.
just be aware that if you get it in classic white it'll yellow after a while.
that said, mine looks pretty sick now.

I say get a nice new strat, mainley cause I would prefer the black on black sg, but if those are the only two you are considering , you gotta go heritage cherry it classic

I love the way it plays. First time I've picked up a newer gibson and didn't dislike it in some way.

Good call on the yellowing. Not sure how I'd feel about that tbh.

this one for sure man

Got a strat. Love it.

I'm trying to avoid the heritage cherry tbh. Second pic is a darker wine red. I liked it better in person.

Honestly Gibson's QC is so hit or miss lately that you'd be better off going Edwards. I also say this because SGs have the potential to neckdive, but speaking anecdotally my Eddie SG balances more perfect than any guitar ever. Unless you're just desperate to burn cash, in which case go Navigator

I've been hearing that a lot, but I've also experienced it. I've played both and the quality seems very good. Not like what I've seen in the past.

also the neck joint on the new standards is not as good as the 61 reissue.
if you want the exact prs upper fret access track down a 61 or a custom for that PRS feel.

I've owned a couple of classic cherry SG's. I like the finish so thin you can feel the grain on the neck. When the J's came out a while back i jumped on the train, nothing between you and the wood. The maple neck also made it sustain better even just strumming unplugged, very loud acoustically. Truth is you can't go wrong either way.

it looks pretty cool. gives it a lot of personality imho.
if you want it white forever go alpine white.
classic white yellows.

Maple necks make SGs dive. It's heavier than mahogany. I would be surprised if your maple neck SG doesn't have horrible neckdive

Weeaboo detected

This is what got me to consider buying it. I just stumbled across that alpine white with gold hardware and needed to have it.

Then I saw the dark wine red... fuck choices.

Love my SG's. Gibson can be hit and miss on them though unless you're going high end.

If your budgets forcing low end specials, go an epiphone g400 pro instead.

High quality epiphone sg is better than a low quality gibson sg.

Speaking from experience.

Any nitro finish will change over time. As I understand it, environmental conditions can speed it along, but it will happen eventually. Poly finishes, like those on epiphanies, won't change really unless they are really tortured.

do these come with the standard tuners or the automatic tuning motor ones? not sure what the scale length on your PRS is , or what type of fenders you own, or what type of cheap jap guitars you own. so the SG could be pretty similar or different, have you ever tried it before? they play exactly like a les paul, but much lighter on your shoulder

if you are coming from a stratocaster, you will be thrown off by the wider fretboard, thicker neck, and less versatile pickups. that said, they have more playability in my opinion. you will be able to easily bend notes like never before

Got to a guitar center, play both of them and then decide what you like more. The tone and the feeling are way more important than the color.
If they are both good, I would personally take the white one...

No budget really. I could rationalize a lot more without any issue, but I really don't see a reason. I already own one ridiculously priced guitar anyway.

this is true, although the classic white was made so it would age faster.
the alpine white would take 30 years to age as much as the classic white.

Played both already. Just down to colors choice.

Locking tuners. I hated that auto tune shit.

What's the PRS you own? I'm guessing either a CU22 or CU24

As others have mentioned the limitation with the SG is its neck and it's tendency to dive. Another option to explore if you're set on a Gibson is an Explorer. I found myself in a similar situation to you between an SG and an Explorer but the Explorer is too comfortable to play to pass on.

If you're really set with an SG, I think alpine white is the nicest color choice. An old teacher of mine used to own a classic white SG and by the time is was a few years old it turned an ugly light peach sort or color.

Custom 24 artist series with the Brazilian rosewood neck. Circa 2007/8

me too, cant stand that ugly shit on a classic vintage guitar style. whats the price on one without the auto tuners?

I have a Jackson Kelly. Didn't want another body shape like that, although it plays very nice.

get one with a a whammy bar mod they look so good on SGs

The 2017 gold series are $1399. Both colors. So a hundred more than the standard with chrome hardware.

Here's a video of an SG:
youtube.com/watch?v=eVBPGZEVRH0

Sounds like you have all your bases covered then, it that case why not go with the SG? Unless you want to go the fully custom route

No love for Les Pauls? They are hit-and-miss nowadays, but when you get a good one, ain't nothing better.

Trips have spoken you must get the SG

(in red)

Thread is just between these two particular SG colors. I like them both, but can only realistically purchase one.

I like les pauls. Have a standard from 1980 something that I enjoy very much.

If it helps, I'm leaning towards the white in the hopes that someday I'll have a nice creamy finish (notgay).

I vote the red if you don't have it already. It's iconic, a monster. Its an sg for Christ's sake

Leave the alpine white to the strats imo