In Pacific Rim, who comes up with the names for the Kaiju...

In Pacific Rim, who comes up with the names for the Kaiju? Is it someone's sole job at the Shatterdome to think up the names for the giant monsters? What names would you give to the Kaiju?

It's probably like Hurricanes where they have a list and whichever pops out gets the name on that list.

Really wish the movie was better tho senpai.

>who comes up with the names for the Kaiju?

Cisco

Why Sup Forums names them of course.
Those of us who are left...

It's not random because the kaiju with a head like a knife is called Knifehead.

Pacific Rim 2 will probably have psychic Kaiju. They'll be called names like Codex, Overseer, or something like that.

It was pretty damn good. Obviously stuff to improve but overall pretty damn solid

I would have a list of synonyms for words pertaining to "ass" in one column, and a list of destructive terms in the other and kick off a smile algorithm to combine them randomly as needed.

I watched it recently and I kept feeling like the audio wasn't all there. It felt like it was missing a lot of background/ambient noise, and a lot of the impact in the fights melted away because of it too.

Also why the fuck didn't every Jaeger have swords at all times? Seriously, if you can cut the fucks in half, why bother punching them? That bit specifically took a big fucking chunk out of the movies enjoy-ability for me

I always got the feeling that the sword was a new invention that was untested, hence why it was used as a last resort

Except gypsy is an old model, and they kept building new ones after it. And nowhere in the movie did they improve her or mention something about adding it on.

It was very clearly part of the design of the robot, but they just didn't want to break out the lightsaber too early. But that makes no sense in the real world of the movie.

Also:
>Swords
>Untested
Making it bigger doesn't change the physical properties of a sharp piece of metal. And that other Jaeger had the retarded spinning blades, so clearly they know blades work.

They couldn't risk letting the kaiju bleed because it's kaiju blue blood was toxic, which is why they used a plasma cannon to cauterize the wound on gypsy danger. I think the sword was there as a last resort.

The entire punching thing was absolutely retarded. Why would you punch a monster like this if there are projectile weapons available? Are you telling me that a bullet is doing less damage to them than a giant robot punching it does? Especially the whole wrestling the things in the water. Whats the point of it? How would a monster like this get hurt from being thrown in the water for a couple hundred meters but not projectile weapons or swords/knifes??

I'd call them all Bane

>Why didn't the lead mecha use its Hissatsu first?
Logic runs second to aping tropes of the mecha genre in Rim.

Then why not use the nuclear fucking reactor to heat the sword to the point of cauterizing them too?

Why was that other Jaegers (spanish I think, the red one) entire weaponry nothing but spinning blades?
The only punching I actually enjoyed was the russian one that had the big impact driver in its elbow, that one actually made sense. All the others I just kept feeling like it'd be more cost effective to build rows and rows of plasma cannons or rockets like the strayan one had.

Because its a movie about giant robots.

You either accept that and thus accept every stupid thing it does or you question it and it all unravels.

Literally, turn your brain off.

Please stop trying to make sense of the film, its autismal.

It's just supposed to be a big budget love letter to monster movies, ffs

Holy shit people who obsess from a need for hyper realism in this film

need not deserve it's pleasures and other details.

I'm and I'm on your side pal. Except it was more a love letter to mech anime, according to del toro.

IT WAS A JOKE BRO

I did shut my brain off, but even in that state these are glaring errors that make the movie really shitty. Especially when they keep reminding you about it.

From the Dead Sea scrolls

No one said it was a joke, and they aren't errors. You are literally retarded.

>Niggas think I'm Obsessed with the movie because I can point this out

>Watched it a few days ago for the first time
>Shit stands out without me even paying much attention

Really senpai, it's not obsessing or nit-picking if it's this obvious

"It's a joke" is a dank internet meme, bro

>Obsessed
I expect they just think you're the kind of idiot who enjoys pointing out how unrealistic super powers are during capeshit.

Meh, not really, I like the popcorn flicks. Shutting the brain off for a while is nice and relaxing. It's just hard to do with a movie that keeps reminding you how much better it could be, and all the errors they basically throw at you.

I really wanted to like PR too, I like Toro, and it has Charlie Day and Ron Pearlman. I was just really hoping for something better from a director I like with a huge budget.

Peripheral post

Yeah, except they aren't errors. They are tropes of the genre. Saying "its an ERROR for giant robots to punch monsters" in a robots versus monsters movie is about as retarded as saying how much of an ERROR Superman is during, say, Superman.

I'm not talking about the error of punching giant robots, that was the other user.

I'm talking about the error of punching giant robots when you have a fucking sword. (Which, by the way, is another giant robot/monster fight trope)

And I'm talking about it in the sense that it's a big error in the real world logic of the movie. If these things are really fucking close to destroying all human life on earth, and it's literally off the coast of one of the biggest cities left, why the fuck would you punch it instead of stabbing it?

A more apt analogy would be saying it's an ERROR for superman to punch something instead of using his FUCKING LASER EYES

My issue isn't with the thing existing, it's that they don't properly using what is available to them in a really dire situation.

Yes, the sword was kept in reserve as a Hissatsu, a "final attack" and no, it doesn't make sense in the context of Pacific Rim. Nor do fucking Jaeger's. There is literally no good reason to build robots with binary brain pilots when a fucktonne off artillery would do the job far better.

Mecha are inherently stupid nonsense that operate purely on rule of cool. They punch because it looks better, they wait tomuse the sword for the payoff. Its total style over substance. The fact you can't understand and accept that is retarded.

And its the same with Superman, he doesn't just laser eye people from star systems away because it wouldn't be a fun movie to watch or a fun comic to read.

Fucking hell, I can't believe people like you still exist.

Autism label aside, overthinking something really happens. Your logic, estimation, etc not like it's coming from a bad place but

You're expecting way too much from a work of fiction that needs to hit certain rhythms in storytelling and presentation

That's not to say critiquing those shortcomings isn't worthwhile, you're just not seeing the forest for the trees

I see your point, but I didn't really put too much thinking into it, just the basics of it. If it's a pacing/rhythm thing it could have been cleared up how someone said earlier, by having them just invent (magical new metal) and then use i, but they clearly show blades on other jaegers, and gypsie is an older model, which hasn't been improved or anything.

But you can make a movie where nonsensical plot points still make sense. (Pans Labyrinth, if you need a fucking example)

As for the substance over style, IMO giant sword fights sounds 'way mondo cooler' then punching.

as for the 'it's not fun to watch' thing, you need to give REASONS for the thing not to work, not just ignore it and bring it up at the last second.

Also, I'm trying to have a normal discussion, and it's pretty hard when you keep being disparaging and trying to talk down to me about how fucking retarded it is to think during a movie.

You're better than that user, act like it. Be the kino.

>But it could still make sense in context.
The reason I keep talking down to you is because you are stupid and can't graspnthe most basic fundamental concept. The entire film from premise to final piece makes no fucking logical sense. The entire mecha genre makes no logical sense. There is literally never a good reason to build a bipedal robot as a war machine, anything it can do a tank can do better and more mechanically efficiently on land, and anything it can do at sea a boat or a submarine will do better.

The entire GENRE is nonsense. You picking apart a few random points is meaningless. Like the other user said, you're ignoring the forest and focusing on the trees.

>you are stupid and can't graspnthe most basic fundamental concept
Nigger, you can't even grasp the concept of making nonsensical plots believable. There are shitloads of movies and genres that make no sense, but have internal consistency and sense in the world. (Zombies, vampires, and every horror/slasher movie ever, if you need examples.)

Try to understand user, just because something isn't supposed to word doesn't mean it can't. Hell, there are giant robot movies that make sense in universe, it's not retarded to point out that this particular one failed in that regard.

I'll put this as simply as I possibly can before I simply write you off as autistic.
>Mecha
>Believability
Pick One.

At least read the post before you go being retarded.

What's to read?
You still can't or won't grasp the most fundamental point. Yes, you raise that other genres make more logical sense. So fucking what? An apple also isn't a fucking orange.

We're done.

>Hell, there are giant robot movies that make sense in universe, it's not retarded to point out that this particular one failed in that regard.
I'm done user, have a nice day.

Why didnt the wall have any weapons? Did they assume the kaiju would knock and say "no ones home? Better fuck off back to my portal then"

I can imagine the upper levels have a sick betting pool on who will win the fight and the winner of the pool gets to name the next kaiju before the cycle begins again

>Kaiju
Just call them mechs you weabo faggot

The Dead Sea Scrolls, silly.