Why did people have so many issues with Rey being able to do everything first try

Why did people have so many issues with Rey being able to do everything first try.
The force informs and guides your actions. The more in tune with the force you are the more of a "natural" you are.
I just saw it as Rey being stupid strong in the force.
So what's the problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lyT36OTUigY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

She won't bite me.

>why don't people like Mary Sues
Even Luke in a New Hope was a naive dumb ass

Anakin was more powerful than Yoda and he wasn't a Mary Sue

>Daisy will never knock you down with one swift blow and bite off your dick
jdimsa ;-;

Because it's boring as fuck and the force wasn't that much of an asspull until autists started making fanfiction (read: anything outside the Lucas movies).

What's the point in even putting obsticals infront of Rey if she's just going to overcome them immediately? Even other heroes who do overcome everything have to figure out how using limited set of skills. Rey just suddenly knows how to do whatever required for the sotuation

Uhh people LOVE mary sues. That's why superman, a nearly invincible god and batman, always has a plan for everything are the most popular heroes of all time.

>the force informs and guides your actions
No it doesn't, name me a time where Luke didn't know how to do something and the force "taught him how to do it"

Also, how can she beat someone who was trained by Luke himself in a lightsaber duel? Are you telling me that isn't a Mary Sue?

Meh. They're getting stronger and stronger in the force.
The force seeks balance and the dark side is rising so the light side finds its avatar

Seconding this.
She didn't have any flaws, and thats boring as fuck. Even Luke from the original movies had flaws. He was a bumbling farmer boy who had no idea what the fuck he was doing, or what the force even was, and was presented as such.
Meanwhile, miss mary sue here already knows how to do perfect acrobatic flips and how to read peoples' minds right from the start. Its annoying as fuck.
The only way to possibly redeem her is to make her go to the dark side.

How about right at the goddamn start when luke can block laser bolts blindfolded? How about when he sends a torpedo right down a 1 meter hole while flying at attack speed without any targeting? Did you even watch star wars?

>how does an incredibly powerful force user defeat an an enemy who just sustained a shot from a weapon that throws other victims through the air?

Dunno. Must be luck

every time i see this image it looks like a pirate pointing a flintlock pistol

But they still have a defined abilities, and people hate superman just suddenly doing some bullshit like kisses that make people forget what happened.

Rey has not limits or defined set or skills. Or another way to put it, she isn't bad at anything, zero weaknesses. Even superman and batman have weaknesses and things they aren't good at

that's not even her real arm. It's CGI.

Wew you really are stupid

So you wanted to see the exact same character again. Sure. No reason to up the ante in any way.

Why do you get so upset that she's probably the strongest force user in centuries?
Oh my god! The story centers around an extraordinary character! So boring!
lol

he fucks up a few times and that was obviously a training session set up by obi wan

he doesn't actually block blaster bolts in a real combat situation until return of the jedi, when he's older and more experienced

the torpedo was because he relied on the force

Even if her character is supposed to be flawless it doesn't make for a very good character in a MOVIE

I don't wanna watch a movie where the protagonist leisurely strolls through every conflict without any trouble whatsoever. That would result in a shitty movie with no tension. Like TFA

She hasn't done a thing that hasn't already been shown to be a force power.
It's the first movie in the trilogy. They're setting her up to be the new hope. The powerful icon that can lead the resistance to victory.
They can't spend the same time they did in epsidode 4 telling us what the force does. THAT would be boring

Wew. Excellent rebuttal, imbecile.
lol try again

...not sure what point you think you're making. Is blocking lasers blindfolded not impressive because it isn't combat?

>the torpedo was because he relied on the force

....what the actual fuck? YES! EXACTLY. He used the force to do something he would not otherwise have been able to do.

The discovery and hardship on the road to becoming skillful is a more rewarding journey because we can empathize and mentally project ourselves into the protagonist's role of starting out modestly, but reaching great hights through effort and time. The payoff is bigger, and it's an allegory for our own lives; a reminder that by applying ourselves and having patience we too can overcome our own obstacles.

The opposite of that is standing in awe of a legendary badass in the story, who we meet when their reputation is as already cemented. We, the audience, can "ooo" and "ahhh" in admiration of their might! These are the archetypes of our role models and potential mentors.

Rey is a defunct hybrid of both these archetypes; combining their most salient aspects in the least satisfying way. Ergo, Mary Sue

Sure she beat the challenges set for her. Calling it "leisurely" is pointless and inaccurate hyperbole

Because Rey doesn't mess up anything, and it's cool when Luke can use his old experience of riding whatever he can find that makes him a natural at piloting an X-Wing, it's boring and stupid when Rey can just grab the Falcon controls from whoever and they say "WOW U MUST BE THE BEST PILOT EVER" on top of her being everything else. Finn doesn't serve as a foil to her because he's literally not comparative to her in any way. It really kills his character more than anything because outside of some minute knowledge from his time as a Stormtrooper hes not good at *anything*. I would be fine if Rey had all the force powers and piloting she wanted if Finn got the lightsaber. It's just stupid that they give it to him only to take it away 10 minutes later because oops shes better with that too.

And that's why powerful heroes who make all but the most potent enemies look like bitches are so unpopular.
Oh wait...
Welcome to almost every hero ever

Alright tell the points in the movie where Rey legitimately struggled to overcome an obstacle

I'll wait

>its the first in a trilogy

Immediately discarded, that's a reddit excuse, you huge cockhead faggot.

Why would Rey be stronger than the chosen one?
>Inb4 he's not the chosen one

Yeah. She beat Kylo so easily. There was no tension whatsoever in that battle.
And she definitely didn't get easily overcome when he took her on takodana

Try again

Super Powers = Mary Sue

shit. Must be easy to win a debate when you can immediately discard arguments without having to actually refute them.

lol cute.

>Yeah. She beat Kylo so easily. There was no tension whatsoever in that battle.
But thats exactly what happened

No, he is. If it's been changed for political correctness it's illegitimate.

Darth Vader is the chosen one. Not mary sue.

I'll fucking never watch Star Wars again if they change this

>block a couple shots that you know are coming during training under a Jedi master and still get your ass zapped a few times
>grow up flying and shooting stuff to kill time on your hick ass desert planet, eventually able to bullseye womp rats on your t16 and they aren't much bigger than 2 meters

....and?

Actually it did look like she beat Kylo easily

Rey never even got scratched in their lightsaber fight. Gee I'm really on the edge of my seat now

>she won, therefore it was an easy battle.
Did you actually watch the movie or are you just repeating what you've heard?

>make a movie that has bad tension and doesn't explain anything and sucks
>GUYS WE'LL FIX IT IN THE SEQUELS WE JUST HAVEN'T EXPLAINED IT YET ITS A GOOD MOVIE LEL

Mary Sue is bad. Therefore all fiction involving super human abilities is absolute shit and you are a complete pleb if you have derived a single iota of pleasure from them.

lol ok. You put on a blindfold and i'll shoot a gun at you. I'll tell you im about to shoot and you can try to block them. I bet It'll be a sinch.
dummy.

Because cruising through the desert firing blasters is the same as attack speed on the deathstar trench run using torpedoes.
Nope.

>Because cruising through the desert firing blasters is the same as attack speed on the deathstar trench run using torpedoes.
T-16s are faster than T-65Bs though.

And that's why super hero movies are so unpopular.
That's why stories of extraordinary and superhuman characters have been so roundly ignored throughout history. Oh my bad. The exact opposite of that.
Shit. Must be cool to be part of that super hip club that thinks powerful characters are boring. How unique and interesting you must be.

lol you're done

This is virtually never true. There are always meaningful, credible threats in any good adventure movie, even if the hero himself is nigh invincible. The problem with Rey is that she trivializes every threat she confronts. It sucks any tension out the movie.

Every super hero is a Mary Sue, but they have their own movies named after them so it's not as big of a deal as a full blown Mary Sue showing up in an established series like Star Wars

Mary Sue movies can be fun/comfy flicks (like a lot of the Bonds) but sometimes it can go too far, such as Tony Stark

>rich
>handsome
>all the ladies love him
>unique appearance (his heart reactor thing)
>tragic beginnings (parents death)
>creates, in a matter of days/weeks, amazing technology that would normally take large teams of engineers months/years to build
>has all the witty lines in every movie he is in

he is basically James Bond combined with Q

Sexism

>Forgetting what a t-16 is

You completely missed his point
A character like Batman has gone through many trials and tribulations which have been shown, we know his ability has been earned but even with it he struggles and is imperfect, particularly in his personal life
Superman despite his powers had a weakness to kryptonite and magic while also being up against beings equally as strong or that are above him in some way such as Lex Luthor and while not a deeply damaged person still has nuances to his personality and how he lives, see the world of cardboard speech

Samefag on damage control.

>Rei clearly was captured years prior and was an ally/accomplice to Kylo Ren and his cool group of baddies
>that's why Rei was so experienced with the force from the get go, because she had years of prior experience
>Rei will be captured in the sequel and will join forces with Kylo Ren and tall evil man
>Finn will join forces with Luke when Luke senses some connection of the force within him

Calling it now. This is what will happen in the second film. Screen cap this so that I can brag about it later.

Because none of that is ever explained by the fucking movie, it's all based on the fact that the audience watching is already familiar with the Star Wars universe and its mechanics. And that's a big red sign for a badly written movie.

The Jedi Mind Trick scene is the perfect example. She instantly learns how to use something that the movie never explains. I'm okay with her learning it from Kylo, but that scene is unclear as to what is happening. Besides, we never see Kylo use the mind trick on anyone in the "traditional" sense, which Rey then does later. It's using a mechanic that isn't established in the context of the movie. If it wasn't Star Wars, people would be complaining that she pulled a completely random superpower out of her ass.

>a gun fires at the same speed as a training laser
Even by normal slow star wars blaster fire the training droid was particularly slow
A better analogy would be I'm going to throw a rock at you while you're blind folded and make a noise when I do, block that while a Jedi master is explaining the force to you and how to reach out with it

And learn the lore of the ships man

>Rei
Couldn't take any of what you said seriously after that

This. Luke went on a journey, just like the audience. From nothing, he gained knowledge, experience and skill which would lead up to facing the almost insurmountable power of Vader - you wondered how the hell could a farm boy beat this bastard. Although he was a jedi, he still was vulnerable and flawed.

Compare that to Miss "God Mode" it's just so fucking contrived. Then again, most Hollywood shit is these days.

It's just an excuse for them to hate women.

fucking faggot, finn will never be a jedi

let's review the fight:

1) rey get's force pushed and knocked out in the first 3 seconds. Only saved by find stepping in to get his ass kicked.
2) she struggles to defend herself for the entire fight from an already twice wounded enemy
3) he let's up and gives her time to focus, she uses this advantage to defeating her opponent.

Yeah. That shit was easy.
Fucking watch the movie dude

>heavily guessing her backstory that isn't implied at all aka grasping at straws
>AND using the MUH SEQUELS defense too

Nope. That's just not accurate.
I think people confuse overcoming the challenges as her just breezing through them

>it takes Luke 3 movies to be able to mind control people with the force
>Rey figures it out with no prior training whatsoever
>Luke has practice as a pilot
>Rey manages to outmaneuver two tie-fighters who have military training having never flown in her life

I could go on

This. Rey is a fan self-insert. Just look at the scene where she goes all "OMG IT'S YOU" with Han.

Rey gre up alone on a desert planet where she had to work to exhaustion just to earn some food and protect herself from those who wanted to take what was hers. Turns out that made her strong. Turns out that, that coupled with extreme force sensitivity makes her an incredibly formidable power.

get over it son

>Samefag
You either don't know what that means or don't understand the criteria for the accusation.

>can't even pay attention to a movie
>movie shows her standing there with the same "staff" like weapon she used in the beginning of the film

It isn't even remotely subtle, bruh.

Rey is a bad character regardless

1) Apparently getting knocked out against a tree earlier didn't effect her ability to sword fight seconds after
2) Even though Kylo Ren is wounded he is established to be insanely powerful. Rey is established to be a girl that's a scavenger that barely makes enough to eat. Kylo should easily win even with 1 fucking arm if you are going on what they established
3) Once again Kylo is established to be a lot more powerful

Feel free to post a link to your headcanon about Rey is actually force jesus and spent 300 years training with Luke and Anakin fighting the force gods and that's why she won her fight :^)

>That's why stories of extraordinary and superhuman characters have been so roundly ignored throughout history
Jesus? Gilgamesh? Samson?

Yeah but Anakin was still a complete idiot, and had anger issues

...so you think they should have re-explained the basics that have already been established in SIX other movies?
IS that a red flag for bad writing or is it an intelligent way tell a story that is continuing from an already completely fleshed out universe?

>the guy on the far right wore a helmet
>Finn wore a helmet in the beginning of TFA

WOAH DUDE CALL MOZART I THINK FINN IS A SECRET SITH AGENT! YOU CAN TELL BY THE WAY THE FAR LEFT DUDE (clearly a loyal agent of Snoke) IS LOOKING AT HIM

t. you

pottery

lol ok. I'll shoot paintballs at you or throw rocks or spitballs. You think you'll be able to block them?

Oh yeah, he's using the force to guide his actions.
That's exactly the fucking point, genius

>lol ok. I'll shoot paintballs at you or throw rocks or spitballs. You think you'll be able to block them?
If you're shooting them out one by one at a slow rate, eventually at least one will be blocked

She breezes through every single one of them.

Disney seems to disagree considering the movie is nothing more than a bad remake of episode 4.

Remember that a lot of people watching the new Star Wars trilogy in the coming years have never seen a Star Wars movie before this. Ask any of them what a Jedi Mind Trick is and they'll wonder what the hell you're talking about.

It's not intelligent writing, it's lazy writing. And I'll use the Phantom Menace to explain why you're wrong: Toward the beginning of the movie Qui-Gon uses the mind trick on Boss Nass to get them out of Otoh Gunga. It's a relatively low-stake scene, but it clearly establishes the rules of the power. When he goes to use it again on Watto later in the movie, it fails. It takes an established mechanic (which, by the way only appears in two of the original three movies), presents it again for a new audience, then puts a twist on it.

Expecting your audience to watch six movies just to understand what the fuck is happening is shitty writing.

>1) Apparently getting knocked out against a tree earlier didn't effect her ability to sword fight seconds after

lol Fucking what?! Heve EVER seen any action sequence ever? The hero get's the chit beat out of them, fall off buildings, gets shot and fights like it aint no thang. Welcome to the movies you baffling imbecile.

>Kylo should easily win even with 1 fucking arm if you are going on what they established

...why? Because you said so? Rey is established as a scavenger girl who can already easily win a two on one fight ANd is incredibly strong in the force And he WAS easily winning until he stopped to try and turn her.

Strike two.
Last chance.

Exactly my point.
People have always loved those stories

many people forget it's a first movie of trilogy .

Batman has also routinely gotten his ass handed to him in several different continuities
>Ra's gains the upper hand on him in BB
>Joker outwits Batman forcing him to break his one rule and kill Dent
>Bane literally cripples him
And that's just Nolanverse
>is nearly driven insane by the court of owls
>couldn't save Joker in Arkham City
>gets his ass beaten by the mutant king in DKR
>fails to save people on many occassions
>by all accounts is mentally unstable and has very questionable methods and motives

Eventually yes. Probably not a few within a few minutes, yeah?

What point did you think you were making here?

But unlike the other first movies in a their respective trilogies, it can't stand on it's own.

Nope

>all Jews

>scavenger girl who can already easily win a two on one fight

Are you actually, and I mean honestly, comparing a fight between Rey and 2 random nobody thugs and a powerful fucking evil sword fighting wizard*? Is that the comparison you think gives you the upper hand in the argument?

*the wizard that was powerful enough to kill every other new jedi directly trained by Luke

Maybe the resistance just should have been 4 random sand scrapper thugs. Logically they would have beaten the fuck out of Kylo

Literally kill yourself

And you think that making the plot shadow the original means they should also be re-explaining and re-learning the fucking basics of the universe at every step.
nope

Oh shit you're right. And think about it. Finn liked to look at guys all the time.

Like all the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=lyT36OTUigY

Look at this scene. Finn is looking at another guy.

Calling it now. Finn is a gay.

>M-MUH SEQUELS

Hence not a Mary Sue

>Jedi Mind Trick
Are you high? This is one of the numerous aspects of Star Wars that crossed into pop culture and people will get the reference even if they don't know the movies, just like they recognize C3PO and know the name "Darth Vader"

Yep. And it isn't just Rey. The movie routinely dissolves any and all tension because it's desperate to prove how amazing it's characters are. See Poe just zipping in and blowing the new Death Star to pieces, or Han and Finn capturing Phasma off screen.

>Finn is evil and gay

Not that hard honestly, if you play paintball you know they move slow enough that you can dodge them on reaction

>Are you high? This is one of the numerous aspects of Star Wars that crossed into pop culture and people will get the reference even if they don't know the movies, just like they recognize C3PO and know the name "Darth Vader"
Think of the children

Rey is constantly privileged by circumstance at every turn and never has to work or struggle for any of her successes once the story gets started. The last time she failed at something she was trying to sell scrap to that fatass for rations and didn't get the price she wanted, and then only because the fatass wanted to twist her arm to get her to sell him BB-8, not because of any sort of mistake she made. Her capture happens only because Kylo Ren whips out a Force stasis ability he never uses on anyone at any other point in the movie and immediately declares her equally as important as the droid, even though capturing the droid would have given them an instantly accessible map without having to rip it out of someone's memories first. Everything that ever goes wrong for her is exclusively because other people in the story decide they want to give her a hard time and the plot decides to let them. She has no personal failures or character flaws to speak of.

I honestly think she's JJ Abrams' own self-insert character and The Force Awakens is a slightly modified version of a fanfic he probably wrote when he was like 12. She's a girl because Abrams hoped that would be enough of a change to throw us off the scent and get us to ignore the fact that the writing is abysmal.

Would children understand the scene where Han shoots Chewie's crossbow blaster and why that was supposed to be comic? Would children understand Kylo Ren looking at Vader's mashed up helmet?

Are you under the impression that the new star wars movies weren't made primarily for an already existing audience?
They used the original cast. They mirrored a new hope's plot. The had countless callbacks to the original films.

They were writing for an already informed audience. In the same way that the 7th book in a series is not shitty writing for beginning with the assumption that the audience knows the story, neither is force awakens badly written for using a universe that has been established for FOURTY FUCKING YEARS.

End of discussion. Peace

no

Are you retarded? They included the "You're Han Solo!" line for an established audience? They intentionally reset the universe, putting nearly every character back where they were at the beginning of the series precisely so they could reintroduce everyone as they were.