True Detective

Please tell me Season 2 is better than Season 1 (or just compare them so I know how to spend my time).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wYkpUOB6nro
youtu.be/wYkpUOB6nro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its much better. Sup Forums will tell you otherwise but theyre just being plebs/contrarians

I'll tell you what's good.

Season 3 of True Detective.

oh user. i don't know how to break it to you...

I like it more. TD2 is much deeper than TD1

You mean The Night Of?

Don't let the trolls and pseuds trick you into watching S2

S01 was great but S02 was pretty shitty.

Not shitty enough to avoid but nowhere near as cool as S01.

>Season 3 of True Detective.

Just watch The Killing.

Season 2 was an absolutely abysmal cliched piece of turd. I don't know what the writers were thinking.

Now I've no clue what to think.

Season 1 was meh, got pretty hyped so I guess that's something I shouldn't have done. Season 2, what kind of crime does it deal with?

I tried to get into The Night Of but I can't stand watching a TV show where the main character is so fucking stupid and retarded.

>he doesn't know the trailer for season 3 is out

youtube.com/watch?v=wYkpUOB6nro

There's no Rust or Rust-like character, which is why all the plebs immediately started wailing. But we got Frank, and he ain't bad.

If you understand that S2 is defining the series as an anthology about obsessive detectives pursuing mysterious crimes and their circumstances at all costs, both professional and personal, you might enjoy it.

Otherwise, stick with BLOOD N' DRAGONS: THE NEVERENDING SOAP OPERA or ZOMBIES: AN SJW ADVENTURE.

Science has gone too far.

10/10

Why did I watch the whole thing...

FROM A DUSTY PLANETRACK
youtu.be/wYkpUOB6nro

Really? Jesus christ

So you can watch it again in full, of coursh!.

Season 2 had too many tertiary characters to follow, i.e. people who were in the series but were either dead or were some high up figure. Season 1 was great but the end was lackluster. Season 2 was great imo until the ending as well, but only because the ending is not a "good" ending. They're both worth watching.

season 3 incoming

Are there any other shows, or even games, like True Detective?

Season 2 lacks a strong lead character like Rust, and it lacks the paranormal undertones which were really what carried the creepiness of the swamp cult stuff.

Most of the tone of Season 1 comes from a sense of cosmic dread associated with Lovecraft.
You might not find the same sort of cop drama or thriller, but there is plenty of this
sort of nihilistic atmosphere.

It's not the same mixture of tones, but I would say Twin Peaks is a relevant comparison.

The plot structure of season one very much resembles that of Twin Peaks. TD Season two even makes a number of visual references to Lynch.

Yeah, I should have specified season 1 of TD. I haven't seen S2 and I don't think I will since the occult elements and references to Robert W. Chambers' work were what pulled me into the personal stories of Marty and Rust.

>my fucking dick when Errol tells Rust "Take off your mask!"

As far as I know, Twin Peaks was cut short and doesn't have a proper ending -- worse than True Detective in that regard.

Also, I've already played through Deadly Premonition several times and that was originally hit with a C&D because it was so similar to Twin Peaks. If you lads haven't played it or watched an LP of it, you should.

>As far as I know, Twin Peaks was cut short and doesn't have a proper ending -- worse than True Detective in that regard.

In case you've been living under a rock.
It returns next year as predicted by the show.

>As far as I know, Twin Peaks was cut short and doesn't have a proper ending -- worse than True Detective in that regard.
TP was cancelled before its time, but the ending stands well on its own. The film is also very good.

I know it's supposed to come back, but I thought I read it was riding on rough waters. Like, at one point it was up in the air if Lynch would even be directing.

Combined with how long it's been on hiatus, I'm expecting it to not live up to the standards set by the first season.

>as predicted by the show.
HOL UP
what?

Maybe I'll give it a shot, then.

> If you understand that S2 is defining the series as an anthology

Pizzalatte, please.

S01 had a tight, well written story based on the author’s experiences living Down South, while S02 was a rush-job forced by HBO executives who insisted in take place in LA because muh shekels.

S01 also had Fuckanigga as director throughout, while S02 went with the now common and stupid practice of multiple directors for different episodes.

HBO pulled Pizzalatte off S03 and made him an "executive producer" and will just hire whoever to write it, as well as tossing multiple directors at the job...

The manager in charge of overseeing TD said he rushed Pizzaman to bring out another season, he says he regrets it and is giving Pizzalotto more time to write a proper script

> The plot structure of season one very much resembles that of Twin Peaks.

No it doesn’t. Twin Peaks is full of forced artsy-fartsy mumbo-jumbo simply for the sake of being pretentious, the spooky atmosphere of TD S01 was natural and inherent to the story and setting.

Anyone who says S1 wasn't shitty other than Rust scenes is wrong.

S2 is kino

Speaking of Fuckadonga, is it a common opinion to think that the extended slowmo shot of Rust emptying the AK into the environment after they offed Ledoux was fucking awful?

I was talking to my sister about it and she didn't think there was anything wrong with it, but I was torn between cringing and laughing when I saw it.

What's your problem with it? Guns are cool, why not have a cool gun scene?

It just went on for so long.

He was shooting for a long time.

>I'll see you again in 25 years