What is consciousness?

What is consciousness?

An illusion generated by the brain.

ur mum

this answer is as insightful as this answer

an underlying sense of the way it all fits together

Not my fault if reality isn't insightful.

but you didn't actually say anything at all

Not my fault if consciousness is a poorly defined buzzword.

This also isn't saying anything

Consciousness is just a word we use to stop us from actually exploring reality.
We assume that it means awake, we are forced to believe that it means awake.
In this mode now where you are reading this, you believe you are awake. You are not, you are part of a dream. The earth is asleep and you are just a speck of "conscious" dust floating around.

A set of decision-making and interpretation systems managed and generated by the human brain to guide it towards procreation

but it sounds nice

The earth isn't asleep because the earth isn't a living organism.

You are 'part of a dream' in the sense that your brain is just receiving signals from the rest of your body rather than actually being able to experience the outside world directly.

Cooked analogy m8. What does it mean to be awake then?

>just receiving signals
What did he mean by this?

How can you assume to earth isn't alive?
The earth has rivers, oceans, earthquakes, volcanos etc.....and you think it's not alive?
Ok what is the earth? And how did you find out?

Consciousness is the label we assigned to the experience and perspective of being a human being, and later graduated this definition to include other forms of life. It is being and reflecting on being.

Light enters your eye, which generates a signal that is sent to your brain. Don't be a potato.

But what is 'just' receiving signals as opposed to directly experiencing the outside world? You're being a potato user.

Scientists don't know so why the fuck do you think faggots on /b will know?

>How can you assume to earth isn't alive?
Evidence.
>The earth has rivers, oceans, earthquakes, volcanos etc
None of which are living things.
>Ok what is the earth?
A spinning ball of rock and metal hurtling through space.
>And how did you find out?
I paid attention in class.

Look at the context of the conversation. If you don't get it, I'm not spelling it out for you.

Ask this dood

knowing why you wipe your ass

>I'm not responding because it's my choice not because I'm clueless

kek

Evidence?
You are less than the spinning rock in space. The spinning rock in space gave you life.
I think the earth has a consciousness. Things that are created by the earth have the ability to heal themselves, even microbes. I feel like the earth gives everything its characteristics through its DNA

>I feel like the earth gives everything its characteristics through its DNA
>the earth's DNA
Either troll, high, or tard.

nah nigga aliens gave us life, earth isnt spinning and its not a rock its a hallow flat disk, mountains and horizon lines are just jewish conspiracies. Educate yourself

So where does DNA come from?

Consciousness is a narrative that doesn't have a beginning middle and end, it just has the present tense. It's a story about who we are and what we think we're doing moment to moment.

(I suppose it begins when you learn your own name, and ends when you notice yourself dying)

Countless ways to hack people's consciousness, mostly messing with who they think they are, and sometimes what they think they're doing.

Your brain interpreting external environmental signals in such a way as to allow you to perceive your surrounding environment and the beings which inhabit it.

a function of brain. Its an overall, interconnected activity of different brain zones, resulting in ability to recognize yourself and deliberately moderate more primitive functions, like emotions and thoughts

This.

>Humans are made of atoms and molecules
>Rocks are made of atoms and molecules
>The earth is made of atoms and molecules
>The phone I'm typing this on is made of atoms and molecules
Can you at least see why I'm confused?

>Can you at least see why I'm confused?
Sure I can. You're either retarded or pretending to be retarded.

it's the ability to question it

Are insects conscious ? they appear to be awake and respond to the environment. If you expose them to an anesthetic gas they lose this ability. I think there are many different kinds of consciousness.