Is John Carter kino? Pretty underrated imho senpai

Is John Carter kino? Pretty underrated imho senpai

I dunno, but that chick should've been wonder woman

>Literally a pastiche of every single trope of cinema at that time used unironically

No, it was trash. Though it's not a bad flick.

damn she was hot as fuck

She should have been Wonder Woman

Proof that Sup Forums can cast better than Hollywood.

Collins has too much charisma, DC sought to correct the overcharismatic nature of Lynda Carter which is why we got Gadot.

How's her fart game?

>Literally a pastiche of every single trope of cinema at that time used unironically
It's adapted from early 1900's pulp which formed those tropes. But you wouldn't know that because you're just a mouthbreather.

good I imagine

>dat ass

I wanna eat it out fuck

Mediocre as fuck and another example of bloated budgets being the worst thing to ever happen to Hollywood.

It's more pulpkino than the recent Tarzan was.

>HURRR I CAN'T READ

I said the tropes of cinema you pleb. Not talking about what it's based on or its story content., but rather all the gimmicks like 3D and the narrative structure/length of it as a cinematic text. It's basically every shitty blockbuster from 2007-2014, which was demonstrated in the indifference from most movie goers at the time.

I'm sure it was incredibly interesting and fun to 10 year old you after having read the Wikipedia article on it though!

Nothing personal kid, but stick to your Game of Thrones general.

>Nothing personal kid
Disregarded

Underrated. I wish it got a sequel.

And yeah the girl was hot.

>trying to save face for not knowing Edgar Rice Burroughs
You need to go back to the millennial's falcon.

Not from a pulp, you robot pimp.

>not from a pulp
Allstory was a pulp, one of the earliest from Frank Munsey.

It should've been animated desu

its a good movie. if there were justice in the world it would have started a franchise. instead we got 150 stale marvel movies a year

I bet you think pulp fiction started in the 30s

Stfu weeb. The only good thing to come out of this thread is her wonder woman casting

But how is her pit game?

Disney sank it on the looming buyout of Star Wars. They pulled it in early to poison the well to make sure no competing studio would bother taking up the franchise. Meh, I'd rather have the Pellucidar hollow earth series but I'm afraid it will bring out the NWO tinfoil hatter out of the woodwork.

It's shockingly better than the source material. In the books John Carter might be the biggest Mary Sue on all of history.

It failed because Disney had to extensively market a $200+ million franchise starter based on a story general audiences probably wouldn't know about, and they skimped on it. The numerous title changes didn't help much either.

>biggest Mary Sue on all of history.
This. In the book John Carter is practically Wolverine/Highlander on earth BEFORE he gets his superpowers on Mars.

you are a dense motherfucker if you think John Carter was a copy of shit done today. It's actually the other way around you dumb cunt.

I mean just go down the list

>Handsome
>Entire family loves him
>Incredibly rich
>Stronger than any person on Mars
>Greatest marskman ever
>Never loses a fight
>Marries a princess like a week after meeting her
>Becomes prince and general of a whole planet

He is laughably bad.

Can someone post her fucking feet already jesus christ all that matters is the foot game you stupid fucks

It was pretty neat but it borrowed too much from the space operas its source material inspired.

The Lone Ranger is the true Disney kino

I unironically love this movie. Its a fucking good olde-tymey science fiction adventure.

Seriously, why do so few modern movies feel like adventures anymore? You know, the hero traveling the land, encountering new allies and enemies and saving a princess and shit, I miss that.

Her feet are probably a disaster to look at since she's been into karate since a child. Like looking at a dancer's feet.

>this

it was mediocrekino

>John Carter and the Princess making out on their wedding night
>My friend sitting next to me whispers: "Is there going to be a blue stain on the bed?"
>spend the rest of the movie trying not to lose my shit in the theater

not bad

>Seriously, why do so few modern movies feel like adventures anymore?
Because audiences want an overload in irony in movies. Earnest adventures are corny to the modern viewer.

Irony is the rapist father of the quip.

It keeps getting better
>tfw no strong gf to wreck

Great film. Very underrated.

>john carter happened exactly at the pinnacle of her perfection
what happened to her bros

gadot can say lines and stare blankly, that's it. she's literally a painted stick in more ways than one.
nevermind her eye color, when she's supposedly acting, you can tell there's NOTHING behind them. just dull surprise. how do you cast someone who so obviously terrible at acting?

Was I the only one that got a super strong attraction to her? I mean I don't really fall into the waifu, totally attracted to a character in movies but damn I couldn't stop staring at this bitch.

I wonder if it was because she was super orange.

she was pretty tan and fit. she looked heavy, like muscly heavy, but not roided out. just the right level of tone. I was disappointed to see she's not a natural brunette because that color contrasts so well with blue eyes. that with the sword and sandals costume just made her so bangable

I didn't think it was great, but it was definitely fun. Didn't deserve even half of the backlash it got, it was trying to be a fun simple movie and it succeeded.

I know it was overused, but I just found it fucking hilarious that his super power was normal human strength in 60% less gravity. There's just something funny about that.

It's Gary Stu for males, Mary Sue for females. God damn, get your tropes right if you're going to bitch about them.

Otherwise, I agree.

No one cares, calm down you raging autist.

Apparently you do by replying, and apparently you're dumb enough to bitch about something you don't even know 101 about.

Gary Stu also came first before Mary Sue as coinage.

>calls me the autist
>knows all about John Carter/Dejah Thoris of Mars comics

hue that projection

You have to understand that John Carter in his original form started in 1911, first proper story in 1917, and went through to 1948. This is a character whose publication history paralleled WWI, the Wall Street collapse, the Great Depression and WWII.

Look at most characters from the period and they all have this same unstoppable larger-than-life quality about them, they were popular because they were an escape from the abject misery pervasive for much of that period for anyone not in a tiny minority of the super-rich.

We see these characters as stale nowadays because we have no real challenge or hardship in our lives, and thus gravitate towards flawed, fallible protagonists.

Interestingly, in comics Batman always sells well in periods of economic strength, and Superman sells better in downturns and depressions.

you know, she would had done a perfect Wonder Woman.

This. John Carter sucked. Sup Forums tricked me into watching it; don't let the same happen to you!

Thank god someone here with a sense of relevant scope with the topic to its time period.

People don't even know that John Carter and fucking Flash Gordon inspired George Lucas to make Star Wars.

But hey, this site is now 90% normies and underage by this era.

Just because there's a reason for it doesn't change the fact that the story is ultimately not interesting because of the incredible perfection of the main character.

It's for that reason I don't entirely get the Prequel hate. Not that I'm saying they weren't deeply flawed movies, but a lot of the more facile complaints about them seem to stem from people's inability to understand the tropes of pulp sci-fi. In fact, the shift to a more Flash Gordon-esque visual texture was, I always felt, a great strength of the Prequels as it set them aside from the aesthetics of the original films.

Compare to Force Awakens, which SLAVISHLY attempts to ape the visual stylings of the Original Trilogy, and fails horribly because the 70's/early 80's design paradigm can't resolve itself with modern filmmaking techniques, i.e. it fails to achieve verisimilitude.

it was pretty boring

I loved it. The advertising fucked it.

It's pulp schlock, not kino. Still great.

>Nothing personal kid

>tfw the next Iron Sky will be the only Hollow Earth Pulp Kino for the next decade or more

The fuck are you talking about?

Corny movies are the height of irony

I don't think you know what irony is.

The thing is, back then, science fiction really was shit-tier in a lot of ways (or god tier depending on your perspective). It wasn't really about telling stories or characters; it was about interesting notions and concepts. There was no character in War of the Worlds or the Time Machine- they were just expositions for HG Wells's notions of physics, technology and biology. The same goes for ERB stories.

I really love that sort of aesthewtic-aping of old pulp, media and science fiction, Lucas is just really, really bad at it. It wasn't good in the prequels, it wasn't good in Red Tails, and it wasn't good in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's essentially the same problem as with The Force Awakens, but even moreso, because the 80s paradigm is by far more comparable then the 60s/ 50s/ 40s pulp one.

She looks like a Terry Dodson drawing

>The Time Machine
I loved this movie and all it's flaws.

Underrated sci-fi general?

No, it was trash. Inconsistent "powers", retarded villain, and everything felt cliché.
I get that you want to feel different because nobody liked it, but this is not the hill you want to die on.

I liked it when Martian Caesar and Martian Mark Antony turned up.

I also liked some of the Thark scenes, and the general feeling of being on a dying planet with scattered alien relics. It was pretty atmospheric. 7/10 entertainment.

movie was top-tier hfy

underrated

shit adaptation desu

I liked John Carter.

But honestly, Stanton kinda fucked up, and Disney are shit.

It should have been a 3+ hour epic along the lines of Lawrence of Arabia, rather than a 2 hour action blockbuster.

Also, James Cameron already made a better John Carter movie, except he turned Natives from Red to Blue.

>inconsistent "powers"
Hello millennial

>we see these characters as stale because we have no hardship in our lives
>Government is going down the shitter.
>An entire generation is swamped with debt and underemployment.
>Unending global conflict.

Sorry but I disagree with you. This is a perfect cultural time for 1930's style larger than life escapist fiction.

One of my biggest gripes with modern capeshit is that it seems to be mired in some kind of postmodern self aware malaise that makes superheroes seem small and insignificant. Just once I want to see a Marvel movie that speaks to the 10 year old kid in myself who read comics and fantasy to find respite from shitty reality.

I got my dick sucked during this movie.

Literally the only reason I remember it lmao.

hardly a flick, objectivly a joint

this

book john carter is more boring than superman

POO IN LOO

Are you the same guy from before or what?

>Collins was born in Houston, Texas, and has English, Scottish, and Irish ancestry. She has also claimed to having some Cherokee ancestry, referring to herself as "Irish and Cherokee"

Hello retarded underage.

absolute snorefest goddamn

POO IN BUFFALOO

Fuck your common sense I want an androgynous bag of bones as my Wonder WOMAN shitlord pissbaby manchild

Spoilt milk. Looks like she's wearing a rubber mask. Sup Forums does it again.

I'd chero her kee if you know what I mean /wink /wink

I laughed the whole way through. What a load of garbage.

it's good, just had shit marketing and title

>/wink

I miss IRC