My dog is named after them, so yes

no we dont

yes

yes we do

yes we absolutely do who asked you ya pleb fuck

Liar.

love steely dan

Gaucho is on par with the rest of their albums tbqh w/all of you right now

Is your dog literally named "Steely Dan" or is he named like "Aja" or something?

WHILE THE POOR PEOPLE SLEEPIN' WITH THE SHADE ON THE LIGHT

Yes, most of Sup Forums loves Steely Dan.
Gaucho's probably my favorite album by them desu.

YA KNOW THEY DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANYBODY ELSE

It's hit or miss for me. Either I really love a track or find it complete corny garbage

gaucho is easily one of their best imo. the royal scam/aja/gaucho is a fantastic run and the height of the band imo

I wonder if anyone on Sup Forums had the same amazed reaction i had to Haitian Divorce when I first heard it.

I do but generally speaking I never got the lyrics really

LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES LOST WAGES

it will grow on and you'll love it if you take the time to get into it

yes but not this album

countdown to ecstasy is one of the best albums of all time.

Steelydandictionary.com has a glossary of all the obscure words, people, and places talked about in their music.

It really is.

Why would you imply that Gaucho is their weakest album?

THEY GOT THE HOUSE ON THE CORNER
WITH THE RUG INSIDE
THEY GOT THE BOOZE THEY NEED
ALL THAT MONEY CAN BUY
THEY GOT THE SHAPELY BODIES
THEY GOT THE STEELY DAN T-SHIRT
AND FOR THE COUP-DE-GRAS
THEY'RE OUTRAGEOUS (OH HONEY LET ME TELL YA)

THEY GOT THE STEELY DAN T-SHIRTS

>Reeling In The Years riff plays

Dude holy shit i never noticed that. I can't remember the exact part of reeling in the years that happens though can you tell me what time it happens?

Love Steely Dan and record posted is GOAT!

Yes, one of the most consistent discographies of all time. Would also highly recommend any of their albums for night driving by the way.

This. Night driving to Steely Dan is one of the comfiest things ever.

Fuck yeah. Also Donald Fagen's solo album The Nightfly is a masterpiece. And I seem to remember that Zazu by Rosie Vela (which Becker and Fagen produced) is a pretty good pop album.

never knew about zazu, ill have to check it out.
this. i've spent so many hours driving around listening to pretty much their entire discography

I have to say, it probably isn't as good as classic Steely Dan but it's a pretty decent pop album and it's interesting to see their music work within that more populist context

youtube.com/watch?v=yBbvQ-dM7II

have you heard lazy nina? sounds like its straight off of the nightfly. outside of writing it for greg phillinganes i don't think donald fagen ever performed it or personally recorded it though. i love it.

Those Mu Major chords have Donald Fagen all over them

The Royal Scam is my favorite but quite frankly all of their albums are damn good.

AND THEY WANDERED IN FROM THE CITY OF SAINT JOHN WITHOUT A DIME!

i was going to post how this is probably their best album closer but then i remembered josie and third world man.

Honestly I think it is their best album closer. I never cared for Third World Man. I really, really wish that they had just taken the time to remake The Second Arrangement rather than produce that song.

Best steely dan incoming. finally found a copy of this on vinyl and in great condition after years of looking

it's crazy how much mu major chords make steely dan sound so distinct.

Yes, very much so

I love this picture of Fagen and Becker from the early days.

This. I thought that was generally assumed to be their peak run

yeah we all saw the mac demarco video asshole

PUT A DOLLAR IN THE KITTY

I'm not the bloke you're replying to and I've been listening to Steely Dan for way longer than Mac Demarco has been about but tbf to this dude that is a fair shout considering that Donald Fagen wrote it and it is a pretty decent song. I guess what I'm saying is don't be prick

DON'T THE MOON LOOK PRETTY
TONIGHT WHEN I CHASE THE DRAGON
THE WATER MAY CHANGE TO CHERRY WINE
AND THE SILVER WILL TURN TO GOLD
TIME OUT OF MIND

who you calling steely dan

I ain't calling you for dinner!

lol i gotta share it with anyone who missed it, and i've been dying to talk about it with some fellow dan fans

what does mac DeMarco have to do with that video? someone fill me in on this

Third World Man is excellent.

They is good

Have you ever heard The Second Arrangement?
youtube.com/watch?v=4FlQRmYaXiE
From wikia.com "In 1979, during recording sessions for their album Gaucho, the band Steely Dan had originally intended a composition known as "The Second Arrangement" to be included among the tracks. "The Second Arrangement" had been a favorite of producer Gary Katz and engineer Roger Nichols.[1]
In late December 1979, after weeks of working on a particular recording of the track, approximately 75% of the song was accidentally erased by a junior engineer who had been asked by Katz to ready the track for listening. It was Nichols who broke the bad news about the assistant's mistake to the band; when Donald Fagen was told the news, he walked out of the studio without saying a word.
There were attempts to re-record the song but none of those takes were satisfactory to core band members Walter Becker and Donald Fagen, who are both well-known perfectionists, so they abandoned the song altogether. "The Second Arrangement" was dropped in favor of a demo song they wrote called "Were You Blind that Day", which would form into "Third World Man" on the final album."
Although some say that Becker and Fagen may have made up that story to avoid having to include it on the record. Due to how great of a song it is I tend believe the first story.

youtube.com/watch?v=VUKCQfLY7nQ

10/10 album
peg is GOAT tier

That exact part isn't in Reelin' in the Years, but it sounds very similar, might be in the same key.

Haven't, I'll listen to it when I get home.

My dad's favorite band of all time.

He just saw them in Vegas on some bucket list shit so I decided to download some of their stuff.

this and Aja are super good. Kinda upset I overlooked them for so long.

I met a girl named Aja

youtube.com/watch?v=v_WGJScwjgg

at the end of this video he recommends the song. he's been name dropping steely dan for years.

sounds like my kind of guy

Seriously, anyone who doesn't like Steely Dan is utterly tasteless.

Never heard Steely Dan but my father likes them so I hate them.

youtu.be/XcUtflDtfdc
Wish they fleshed this song out

your dog is a dildo from a William Burrough's novel

Damn that's nice.

The entire roaring of the lamb album is a goldmine. I love "More to come" is amazing
youtube.com/watch?v=z-M-Z1jIEDs
I wish they had fleshed all those songs out while Fagen still had his 70's voice.

Have you read Naked Lunch? I attempted to get into it but there was just so much jargon that didn't make sense it was just impossible to get into.

oops I didn't mean to link the one with the out of place not Steely Dan instrumentals
youtube.com/watch?v=44nO0-JPWRA
here's the actual demo

Royal Scam has best opener and closer

love them. saw them on tour with my dad last summer. 10/10 would see again.

And neither of those are even the best song on the album.

I saw them on tour back in 2013 with my uncle (he's probably their biggest fan he's been following them around on tour since the first album). needless to say they were amazing.

what's your favorite track on that album? mine is probably Hatian Divorce/Don't Take Me Alive/Royal Scam

Sign in Stranger.

IIII HEARD THEM WHISPERING
III SAW THEIR EYES, THEIR CHESTS, THEIR SECRET SMILES
DANCING WILD NEW TANGOOOS
youtube.com/watch?v=aaABCejUM8g

Green earrings.

We went from U2 general to Steely Dan general thank god

steely dan threads are always the chillest on Sup Forums

This is the longest Steely Dan thread I've ever seen on Sup Forums.

I've seen one about this length but it was back in 2013.
I wish Steely Dan was part of Sup Forums canon.
I know it was included in CLT's list of patrician music but other then that it's not a regularly posted thing. The fact that certain other bands from the same time period get more attention then them is what makes me sad. :(
I'm going to post "more steely dan" on the meta thread that's going on right now.

Black Cow and Deacon Blues are my favorites. I've only listened Aja and a little bit of Pretzel Logic but I really love what I've heard.

If you want some amazing 70's rock (specifically more rock influenced than jazz) listen to countdown to ecstacy
If you want more of the muzak-y jazz stuff I'd recommend the Royal Scam or Gaucho

Reminder that they dropped off hard after The Royal Scam.

GREEN EARINGS

This is the better early album. On par with Aja sans jazz. Wtf is wrong with you calling The Royal Scam muzak?

What a ridiculous opinion.

sorry I actually I regretted using the term muzak after I posted that.
I meant rock with more jazzy influences.

dad rock disguised as sophisticated art music

He's named "Steely Dan" but we call him Dan.

Yes I'm aware of this. My family wasn't when we named him.

That's cool that there are people out there that appreciate Steely Dan enough to name one of their pets after them.

Saw them about six times in the last.

>reelin in the chips

You're wrong. You love Steely Dan, and so do I. We all do.

Also, first album, best album.

I've read it and I enjoyed it quite a bit just because of how utterly bizarre it is. There were some sections that were incomprehensible but a lot of it reads pretty easy once you get used to his stream of consciousness style