Hey Anons, do you think psychology is bullshit? I have a friend with a degree on it...

Hey Anons, do you think psychology is bullshit? I have a friend with a degree on it. Basically most of the theories are just common sense put into fancy words in an unnecessary way to make it look more scientific.

yes and sudoscience

Psychology is a real science, faggot. It has statistics to back up its claims.

it doesnt and is retarded

it is not a science, if you take a patient and have 100 shrinks treat him you will get 100 different theories on what's wrong with said patient. science demands repeatable outcomes not "well it could be this or that" psychology is to neuroscience what alchemy is to chemistry

Psycologists be like:
>You're a narcisistic person with lower psycopathy and you don't care about what happens to pepole around you as long as you personaly benefit from it.

Me be like:
>You're an ashole.

Yeah, it pretty much is.

Asshole rather

There's a debate about whether it's a science within the field, which would indicate that it's becoming a science but it isn't yet.

We don't know shit about the brain yet. Current psychology is a precursor to a real science.

psychology is an incredibly difficult thing to study. there are branches of psychology which are classified as science and some that are not. its still not useless studying it, you just need to take psychological theories with a grain of salt

It uses the scientific method therefore it is a science. read a book. and OP obviously has an inferiority complex (says this psychologist ) kek

It's bullshit and it's specially bad because they took psychologist opinions way too seriously on trials, principally criminal trials concerning child molestation with "credibility tests".

It's obviously valid, just the study of the way chemical processes affect the way we behave. Real psychology is conditioning and shit, the way we evolved to think.

>statistics
>real science

see this

just wait until you have a mental breakdown and then see if you believe in psychology when you need help...

If it's not a real science then how come it's been around for over 100 years?

statistics are like bikinis, what they show is intriguing but what they don't show is vital

It's not bullshit, there's just no way of knowing how each person's brain works.

Following that logic god must be real since it haves been around forever

bait, or very retarded

psychology is a scientific discipline. Any faggot here who says otherwise is probably still in high school or has mild autism.
Honestly it is not neuroscience, but I would say it's a branch of a greater discipline. An incomplete part of a greater whole.

still not a science and break downs are rare, it also doesn't need to be a science to be beneficial, construction isn't a science and I'm sure you wouldn't go with out that service

it basically tries to find trends and take info from a lot of fuzzy data. it may not be as rigid or trustworthy as other sciences but its still an important area of study that will improve with better tech

see this

>There's a debate about whether it's a science within the field, which would indicate that it's going to the trashcan very soon.

ftfy

Psicology is real. Therapist are lame as mexican goverment. Si, soy mexicano.

Dowsing has thousand of years.

Good metaphor I'm stealing it.

Ngghnahana, maybe, it's still not enough.

It's not very scientific, the more hadcore scientific aproaches like conductism are still fundamentally flawed.

Construction it's very scientifical.

It is important, but with the advances in neuroscience we could do without it.

disagree, but i like you analogy. however, you are assuming that all 100 shrinks will have a different outcome. so tell me, what if they dont all have a different answer?

most will and do, psychology relies on human interpretation, not measurable outcomes

it's a valid assumption, because there are almost always exceptions and variations. if there weren't, it would be more like a science

Talk therapy helps and engaging your subconsciousness is a good way to deal with many problems.
I don't know if it's a science or not, but it helped me and it should help a lot of more people who sadly never bother to read a single psychology book.

It's all garbage, but you're on Sup Forums, so you might benefit.

it does show us stuff that neuroscience cant atm and likely wont be able to for quite a while

steal away

also construction relies on math not science, you don't need a science degree for any construction job, though special jobs may need a scientist or engineer to lay out plans

You just described sociology.

Psychology is actually a real science and handy in multiple work fields.

see this

I can make up hypotheticals to prove my point too.
Several people I know have taken all sorts of SSRIs and are better because of them. When they stop they go into shock and can't eat/sleep.
Alchemy didn't really work. They believed in shit that wasn't real, like lead into gold, and ritualistic ceremonies to make magic happen to chemicals.
Don't confuse psychology with psychopathology or medicine.

The worst people I've ever met are psychologists or psychologists students

Kinda, most of it is over analyzed garbage. The truth is are brains work by creating a simulation of the world in out heads. The clearer and more detailed your simulation the smarter you are.

Modern psychology treats the brain like the hardware only portion of the brain and view themselves as experts in the software portion.
But the brain is both software and hardware in one.

true
they are all demented

You are correct. I think they get off on the pain of others.

It's called a "soft science" for a reason. It is a scientific discipline but it's not as reliable as the hard sciences, aka the Natural Sciences. Soft Sciences are open to bias,unfortunately, try as they might. It's a useful tool for sure. You'll notice that a lot ideologue types work in the soft sciences and use said sciences towards their ideological agendas. It just isn't as strict as the Natural Sciences and therefor can be interpreted or twisted to suit their needs while still remaining authoritative. There are exceptions, like in mathematic based soft sciences.

99% of it is bullshit. People get therapy because they want someone to listen to their fucking problems.
the 1% is legitimately helpful to people who didn't just go through a divorce or whatever stupid bullshit they think is an actual problem.

I have never met any bad psychologists.

freud was a quack

psychology relies on human interpretation from the patient and the psycholigist interprets the patients statements to come up with a plausible cause for what ails said patient, it's a purely cerebral art not a science

But it does it shows us in the correct way, it's more open to misinterpretations that anything, people personality traits aren't writing in stone and can change overtime, enough to chan a diagnosis, you can go see a therapist in the worst part of your depression and be taking pills for months when all you had to do was wait a week and get your dick wet.

You need science, masonry it's a science on itself.

I didThis it's a good example, bastard couldn't even quit smoking and shit's not even hard.

cooking relies on chemistry, that doesn't make it a science, science is the pursuit of knowledge by measuring changes in the real world, building shit is not a science it only relies on it

people who say its totally useless and on the level of alchemy are pretty fucking clueless. at the same time, sections of psychology are not science and cant be treated with the same regard. it takes human interpretation and can get things wrong or more so look at them from the wrong perspective, but its not a useless field of study. its somewhere in between guesswork and science

Keep in mind that people study things that they think will help them the most.

I studied Engineering because I like to design and build things.
My wife is in Med School because she's a bit of a hypochondriac.
Psychologists are trying to find out why they're so fucked in the head.

it's an art

Yes psychology is 100% bullshit

Gender Studies Major?

t. Mexican psychology major
You should have gone to the UNAM

no, personality traits arent written in stone, but studying what they are now can reveal things about people today and show the differences between different kinds of people. of course you need to take all of this with a grain of salt but that doesnt mean it gives no insights

You've got that right.

Also worth noting drugs and alcohol distort your simulation. Psychologists helping people by talking to them is like sitting down your washing machine for a nice chat after you sliced up the power cords

>produces conjecture, i ams duh science

a sciency art

I don't see any appreciable difference between Psychology, Astrology, Tarot reading, Crystal Balls, and other cold reading games.

Psychology is neuroscience for retards

Si, fui victima de unos "terapeutas" de la UNAM

It uses the scientific method, it's a science

>science can't account for exceptions and variants
Gee, Billy, two brain cells?

I hypothesize that you're a faggot

I am, but what does that have anything do with whether or not psychology is a science?

>we don't know shit about the brain
Lol this isn't the 1800's.
Go back to school.

Well for one you're a faggot because of your raging drug use. But anyway

The scientific method is based around eliminating as many variables as possible, psychology inherently leaves millions of variables laying around. It's a pseudoscience for idiots masquerading as science.

>The scientific method is based around eliminating as many variables as possible, psychology inherently leaves millions of variables laying around. It's a pseudoscience for idiots masquerading as science.
You really don't know anything about psychology, do you? There are multiple experiments that involve getting into a specific mindset. Look up Little Albert. If you're going to argue that psychology leaves too many variables laying around, then you should at least know what you're talking about.

>leaves variables
No. Humans ARE the variables. Psychology attempts to find which variant they are and study the workings of the human mind.

I don't completely agree with it but I'll report what my sociology professor (I'm not in humanities dw) stated about it when I was on it: "I don't believe in a science that is based on acts of faith" he also used to give bad grades on whoever stated otherwise so I guess he was kind of a dick too