Im about to work on merchant navy and just now realised ill stay away from family for 4 months around strangers...

Im about to work on merchant navy and just now realised ill stay away from family for 4 months around strangers. My parents are getting older i notice it now more than ever and i feel like im gonna waste time wich should be spend around them. How do i deal with these fells bros ? this jobs gives me 5k $/month and in my 3rld world country is very atractive. Any seafarers here?

I was in the merchant navy from 18-22. Im 32 now. I quit because i was young and didnt want to be at sea while my mates were partying. It was a great job and i had great experiences but i was young and didnt want to work 6 weeks straight. It all depends on your personal situation

Think about it this way, if it gives you a better opportunity to take care of your family then do it. If you feel like $20,000 isn't worth the time away from your family, then don't. Only you can make that decision. I wish you all the best in weighing your options.

How old are you btw?

Sock money away somewhere safe. Invest if you can. Take care of your parents when they are old and you have enough wealth to live on.

Im 22 and got hired as a 3rd mate at maersk line. I craved this job so much but just now before departure something clicked in my mind , i think money is not everytime and time is more valuable but as the guy above me said it give a better opportunity to take care for my folks so ill stick to it i guess.

*everyithing

Also my breeding instincts kicked to , even though i fapped my whole life and never got pussy my mind is telling me that wasting my youth staying that long time on a ship is like my genes will extinct .

You must already know what it is like to be at sea away from your family if you have been offered a 3rd mate position. That is an officer and surely your cadetship saw you away from home for long periods of time?

Geologist here. Dude, being away for extended periods is tough. You miss out on shit and always feel forgotten. But 5k a week socked away adds up. This sort of job doesnt have to be forever but as long as you don't piss it up against the wall in port you can set yourself up for life.

bribed the naval authority in my country so i got promoted immediately. I only spend 1 month at sea on a bulk carrier

How long do you think you will have the job after 1 month of training. An officer on a ship is hard work. Do you know how to read charts, use a sexton, navigate, run drills etc?

kek 5k/month

Yo doesn't work like that son

yeah man i studied those at college too. Know everything about lsa , ffa and navigation(radar , astronomic and coastal). I think im gonna handle it fine. where are you sailing bro ?

Fark. Well if he is from some 3rd world hellhole where 5k a month is serious money then I guess that's ok.

Never shit on another man's opportunity, as it's all relative. That's the equivalent of being offered $20k a month in some 3rd world countries, and those are the better off ones. Stop trying to measure dick sizes, it's all about what you do with it that matters.

Dont sail anymore. Been a land dweller for 10 yrs. Im the guy that quit at 22. Wasnt an officer and i still had to do 9 months at sea training after doing months of theory. Be careful mate because the fines for running a ship aground are alot more than 5k a month. Best of luck to you tho

Also, I've seen many of the "where does Sup Forums work" threads, and the vast majority of people on these boards aren't making close to $5k/ month in their first world countries.

yeah man im not alone there too , the master is my relative so he said he will teach me everything i need to know in this period .

Around 5k is the salary of the 3rd mate/officer but the masters usually have 14-15k/month on container and around 18-19 on tankers or lpgs.

Rollin'
He said 5k per WEEK

because you're retard. Why you work on the sea? don't you prefer the river?
Go to the Fluvial/River Merchant Navy, you're going to work 2 weeks at month only. It's better than 6 months

Greetings from the Court of King Neptune. A seafarer's life is not that bad. Make friends, not enemies, and the friendships will last a lifetime. Also, being away from home and the 12x7s are not that bad after you get used to it. Make sure you invest as much money as you can into a 401k, and visit your fam whenever you can. Good luck, fair winds, and following seas!

what company is that bro ?

Maersk, retired.

Are you from europe ?

Nope. US. I was on the AE6 service to north Europe though. Funny you should ask.

not op , i was hired at maersk to as a deck cadet and will have my first voyage next month. Im not a very social person but i dont wish bad to anyone so how to act onboard ? Doing social stuff without wanting it exhausts me but dont want to appear as a freak to the crew. How are the people onboard ? Are they teaching you stuff or they are 2 faced and dont wish you to get promoted

I work for a company that creates the courses and certifications for ships. It's a pretty good life at sea. Have fun.

Can't speak for the whole fleet, but I had a good crew. You are there to do a job, so NOT wanting to be too social will be an advantage. Do your job and you'll be fine. That said, don't be an asshole either. If someone tells you a dirty joke, laugh at it.

That's cool, at least they make it worth it to give it a shot when you're young, and then give you some comfortable upward mobility if you stick around..

kill your parents so you don't need to worry about them