/daily/ - Music Discussion Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>/listenalong schedules
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/the-red-army-choir/the-best-of-the-red-army-choir-the-definitive-collection/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/glenn-jones/this-is-the-wind-that-blows-it-out-solos-for-6-and-12-string-guitar/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/os-mutantes/a-divina-comedia-ou-ando-meio-desligado/
3.bp.blogspot.com/-8i5Ee0eIj5g/WQppi5wv8aI/AAAAAAAAAAM/dQ9HkW3D0x8sUbC0htUQWIYNInzbkUYGgCLcB/s1600/daily.jpg
ethanchandler.bandcamp.com/album/rituals-2
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/коллежский_асессор/sex_bomben_auf_engelland/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

firmst

Maybe I should stop writing so many reviews if most are gonna be bad

>John Coltrane – Africa / Brass
The fact that this guy made more good music in a single year than pretty much anyone will make in their entire life is a bit depressing, but also goes to show how prolific and bold this guy’s output was becoming 1961. The really subtle, warm progressions are what got to me here. There were hints of “yeah I get it” that I felt internally by the end of this, but I can’t really say I got tired of this or anything. Phenomenal.

>Woven Hand - Blush Music
After hearing this, I made a pledge to hear Sackcloth n’ Ashes again. As I said in my review of that, “gothic country” is the coolest sounding thing in the fucking world to me. I’m always rooting for a dirt-goth album to sweep my off my feet, but nothing has really affected me the way Blush Music has. The droning instrumentation + catchy country melodies + atmosphere in general make it a clear winner in my mind. There were some over-long bits I’ll admit, but I’m super ready to hear more from David Eugene Edwards if his other albums are similar to this.

>Idris Muhammad - Power of Soul
I could see this getting old or “noodle-y” to some, but rarely did it for me. For my money, this is one of the most consistent, all-killer-no-filler jazz-funk albums I can recall. Sax + keyboard workings here were often the real eyecatchers for me. In fact, Idris stays comparably subdued for having a percussionist’s name on a jazz album. If you don’t mind the jazz/fusion variant of this genre I would highly rec.

>Lightning Bolt - Earthly Delights
Although overall it’s more consistent than Wonderful Rainbow, it’s about half as memorable. It’s a beautiful wall of noise that never fucking lets go, but there’s sure no “Two Towers” or “Dracula Mountain” on this one. You’ll get something from this if you liked their essential 2003 album, but don’t expect many of those “HOLY SHIT” moments littered through this album.

1/4

>Bauhaus - Burning From the Inside
Okay sure, She’s in Parties is one of their best songs, but it ain’t got shit on the s/t track. Idk what to say that could compliment this that wouldn’t just apply to this-era post-punk in general, but very worth your time if you enjoy their first album, though admittedly it’s just their last output but worse.

>Wendy Carlos - Beauty in the Beast
Much less novelty shlock than she’s made before. In fact, this is a pretty fucking expansive album. The influences are all over the place from gamelan, to progressive-electronic, to cool jazz, to southern Indian microtonal sounds, etc. In just under an hour Carlos takes you pretty much everywhere. Unfortunately, beauty in the Beast feels like the most original piece here, not just being a imitation piece of other great songs (except worse). Would recommend if you want something extremely spanning and expansive, but don’t expect every track to be a hit.

>Jan Johansson - Jazz på svenska
Liked much more than I thought I would, though admittedly wasn’t much. When listening to much more minimal cool/modal jazz I often end up thinking “Nice…but what’s the catch?” as if expecting something amazing to suddenly click for me, but usually never does. Great for what it is, just not much of my thing.

>Various Artists – The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Maybe it’s not a good sign in this case, but for some reason Rock Opera music really takes me back to my childhood. Perhaps it’s because of my love for Bowie and The Who back in those days, but even with never seeing this movie, this soundtrack really takes you places. The opener, the reprise, Time Warp, and Sweet Transvestite were all awesome to me. Otherwise, a lot of the Glam Rock styles got old pretty fast, no matter how fun it can be at times

2/4

>Świetliki - O.gród K.oncentracyjny (dwa dni później)
The obvious vice of having one of thems a 20-track-hour-long albums is that unless you’re a really gifted soul, you’re bound to run into “choice cuts”. Though I enjoyed the majority of this, there were an obvious few tracks that were the realreal good ones to me (1, 8, 12, 19, for me anyways). In general though, the style of talking over good alt rock got a little old to me after repeated listens.

>Pekka Pohjola - Pihkasilmä kaarnakorva
Y’all WISH your best album could be as good as Pohjola’s worst (that I’ve heard so far, anyways). Felt like his latter works, only with less funk influences and much more obvious prog-isms that often got my goat. If you’re checking out this guy’s stuff, literally do any of his next three albums

>Bauhaus – Go Away White
Of course it’s not as good as their 70s/80s material. What are you fuckin’ dumb or some shit? However, this is pretty unjustly hated for what it is. It’s no super bombastic come back and it’s far from their best, but it has a lot of enjoyable moments. Maybe it’s just me being gay for post-punk or something, though admittedly it does suffer from in-one-out-the-other syndrome.

>Bill Orcutt - Way Down South
The biggest complaints here are that blues + free improv are sounds that have never collided in a positive way, and that the recording is a bit shotty. At 16 minutes Orcutt sure throws a lot of great playing and ideas all over the place, but few stick with me.

>Jeff Mangum - Orange Twin Field Works Vol. 1
I really hope we hear more from this guy in the future, but this is simply just poorly recorded/mixed field recordings of songs much more interesting than Mangum is trying to do in the songs. I wish I were there listening to the music instead.

>Sloan - Twice Removed
“People of the Sky” and “I can Feel It” are alright, but if I want indie pop goodness I’ll just put on the Pete & Pete soundtrack or the four good Smiths songs.

3/4

>Aya RL – s/t
Maybe something was lost in translation, but I felt basically none of the “cold” “””apocalyptic””” vibes from this that others apparently did. In fact, most of these tracks are pretty boring, standard pop-post-punk songs. Hmmm. Maybe I’m missing something here, but after multiple listens I really just don’t understand what else there is to be gained out of this.

>Paul Giovanni - The Wicker Man
Hmmm. Perhaps as going with the film this would affect me in a much bolder way, but as a stand-alone album nothing really amazing jumps out here. There’s a nice, sort of evil-feeling overlying tone, but this fusion of different folk styles create nothing really cohesive or necessary in my mind. Maybe I should watch the fucking movie though.

>The Aquabats - The Fury of the Aquabats!
Ya know what? FUCK it! I had fun, okay? It’s not perfect (or in most cases, even good) but it’s a really cutsie kind of humor that reminds me a bit of Homestar Runner that I can’t help but kind of love it. Could get annoying fast, and to many is probably the worst thing ever if you hate third-wave ska (me, partially), but if you don’t mind innocent fun with some catchy melodies every once in a while, maybe don’t pass this up.

>The Garden - haha
Total shlock. I obviously don’t mind super quirky, spastic, spork-rock albums (Zappa and Ween are some of my favorite artists for gods sake) but I could tell these guys really thought they were doing much more creative stuff than they actually were. It’s just pretty basic indie-post punk with an obnoxiously-gawdy vocalist and a train whistle every now and again. Zolo like this can be done if there’s at least creative melody at play anywhere, but there’s none to be found here. Their single “Call this # Now” is alright, but that’s not even on this album. Not good.

What next?

listen to Jimmy Carter Syndrome already you fool

>I am a Lake of Burning Orchids - Innocence
>Noise, Ambient Techno

Jumps from somber ambient to harsh noise to sparse techno repeatedly. Superclub is a particularly evocative track, like teetering on the edge of passing out late at a party, and a catharsis gradually rises before transitioning into Incision / Fantasy.

7/10

>Erasmo Carlos - Carlos, Erasmo...
>Brazillian Music, + rock and pop

The album cover suggests that this would be a rough sounding venture into Brazillian country, the production actually surprised me on the second and third tracks. The vocals are very plain behind strings and rock band instrumentation, like Majical Cloudz or Owen Pallett, which makes songs like "Agora, Ninguem Chora Mais". Pleasant listen overall, but nothing above that for me.

7/10

>Melt-Banana - Cell-Scape
>Hardcore Punk + Twee vocalist

You'll probably be focusing on the Yasuko's child-like, animated voice on a first listen, but the band can hold its own. They're noisy, and the production touches cleanly connects tracks to each other. The band is also merciful with the length of this album-- you're not going to listen to a Powerpuff girls actor yell for an hour, only about 26 minutes.

I think what really establishes the album as "fun rather than "serious but speshul" territory is the lightness of the vocals with unabashed noise of the band. Makes it feel like it would come out of an kids cartoon, to the benefit of a new listener.

The outro also isn't horrible, but a bit self-indulgent and one-dimensional. A 10 minute ambient bloop track is a weird thing to have on a punk album, but considering the band is Japanese I don't wonder about it too much.

"Like a White Bat in a Box, Dead Matters Go On" is still the most enjoyable track for me.

6/10

>Roy Montgomery - And Now the Rain Sounds Like Life Is Falling Down Through It
>Psychedelic Folk, Post Rock

Was surpised to see that FISH wasn't the one that liked this, but jimmy jazz. The atmosphere is dry and deep, even as a solo performance-- but the guitars make this a summer album.

After a great eerie intro track, we're introduced to Montgomery's reverberating acoustic strums and straight played vocals. Down From That Hill And Up To The Pond heavily trudges through a dryland, and Catherine At Aldeburgh is an evening gallop with the faintest percussion taps. Tracks like Kafka Was Correct are very hypnotic, but Entertaining Mr. Jones is the opposite.

The minute long interludes are curious, if a bit too clearly made to be "things are miserable round here."

Ill at Home and In Another Time are 9/10 closing tracks. Montgomery finds what he's looking for during the album.

7/10

Imo that's Montgomery's best but most people lke Temple IV more.

I was too lazy to be mad at that Can opinion at first and atm I'm too tired. Maybe I'll get around to being angry tomorrow who knows. Definitely don't let that stop you from listening to Future Days or Tago Mago, as they're all pretty different.

Hit that Daikanjyo joint up rn

I am tired as well and have a presentation Thursday that I am 30% prepared for

I'll just keep posting reviews when everyone's tired so nobody will notice that score

>Definitely don't let that stop you from listening to Future Days or Tago Mago, as they're all pretty different.
I would hope so

Going to bed now, but I need 10 random recs real quick for a new chart I'm doing. Restrictions are only 1 per trip and it must be under two hours.

Mark Pritchard - Under the sun

alright

Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - s/t

I will never win ever I guess

Oop

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/the-red-army-choir/the-best-of-the-red-army-choir-the-definitive-collection/

Tpyд - 1234

(Actually not that one, it's going to be my listenalong rec come October)
do this one

at least you have numbers buddy it aint all bad

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/glenn-jones/this-is-the-wind-that-blows-it-out-solos-for-6-and-12-string-guitar/
dang it

phantasies and senseitions - bugskull
suicide suicide suicide

moodymann - moodymann (2014)

>tfw didnt lose first round of a sdc tourney
finally
michael mayer - immer

how do I join /daily/?

I used to post here frequently in the summer of 2013.

i don't remember the last time i posted this so let's work backwards

>Whitehouse - Bird Seed
wow peter sotos does what peter sotos done but on an album where it's intensely misplaced, ruins the flow of it entirely and sours the experience of everything surrounding it. wriggle like a fucking eel is danceable tho, and cut hands has the solution is bleak and interrogatively insulting enough to act as sweet release post-aids/rape montage

>skin crime - prenatal
conception thru birth themed noise (from my understanding), it starts off pretty chaotic and even has muffled fuck noises played beneath it, gets a bit slower and subdued before breaking apart at the seams towards the end i guess simulating birth? idk

>lightning bolt - wonderful rainbow
it's cool and the drums go hard and the guitar riffing is made exceptional by the fact that it's all played on a bass but there's very little meat underneath the immediate wash of fuzz, small moments break up a noise rock album you could theoretically throw on during an mdma binge

>daughters - daughters
i can't believe i'd never heard this before, it's like if Elvis fronted mclusky, it's post hardcore and grindmathcore and it hits such great moments of melody and energy and showmanship. simple concept ground into high art

>the new blockaders - changez les blockeurs
dadaism works best theoretically or as media designed for immediate consumption - anti-art works best when presented in opposition to more generally agreed upon aesthetics of 'art' - l.h.o.o.q satirizes high art with the defacing of easily the most recognizable painting in history, duchamp's fountain challenges an audiences concept of what constitutes an art piece. this album is an hour of moving furniture and atonal scraping with no structure, cohesion or any thematic conception beyond 'this isn't music'. it's basically a field recording of reorganizing a room. fuck this album it's an hour and did nothing. one star for there being a dog in it

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/os-mutantes/a-divina-comedia-ou-ando-meio-desligado/

bump wew

We had an optional lecture today on intersectionalism and handicaps, which I attended for a few hours since I were to be in school regardless. The lecturer had a link to her website where she published her examination essay, which is supposed to, paraphrasing something here, "contributing to the research data of the field". Basically any such essay should be research focused and provide something new to the field, and it should uphold academic rigour.

Needless to say I checked her essay out, because it's fun and almost all gender studies essays seem to be opinion pieces and not research. So is this. It includes some beautiful titles such as:
>Oedipus as a hub in the hetropatriarchal theory building
>The idealized heterosexual culture as borderline structured
>Heterosexual base assumption in the perverse polymorph
etc.

The entire thing seems to be based under the assumption that Freud and his theories, particularly dream reading and the oedipus complex, are taken seriously in modern mainstream psychology, and how genderqueer feminist theory can deconstruct the oedipus complex. Almost nothing is properly cited, it's written in the form of "I believe" and "I think" and "It is my opinion that" throughout, and it makes so many assumptions that I just can't even.

I can't believe something like this would be accepted by a university as a master's thesis. It's ridiculous. I guess this is gender studies in a nutshell. Why can't researchers do gender seriously? It's such an interesting subject, but too few researchers actually do any research and just use it as a political platform.

Dead - Musical Abortions

Get a trio and start blogging about what you listen to

Momentous day today. Leaving the big city after ~4 years. Feels good. Gonna buckle down on this LP2 I've been working hard on the past few months this summer, making some ambitious plans for it this time around

Can someone post the new list of daily essentials? Thanks

Oh fuck, you make music? Link to a sample?

anyone else unable to post?

3.bp.blogspot.com/-8i5Ee0eIj5g/WQppi5wv8aI/AAAAAAAAAAM/dQ9HkW3D0x8sUbC0htUQWIYNInzbkUYGgCLcB/s1600/daily.jpg

i wish LOL!

The last post was made over 4 hours ago.

>posts
>"anyone else unable to post?"
w o w

ethanchandler.bandcamp.com/album/rituals-2

Yeah, I think Sup Forums was down

You know what I meant. Making a thread.

>2017
>making threads on Sup Forums dot com

triple 5s please

wew

Sup Forums wasn't working for me at all like 2 hours ago. I couldn't refresh or make any posts.

Thanks mate

>talk to girl
>she says she studies political sciences
>said she wanted to be done as soon as possible
>but she started studying at Oxford, so it's worth taking an extra year
>look at her facebook page
>she actually studies at Oxford Brookes
:thinking_emoji:

That's like telling someone you go to Columbia but you really just go Columbia College Chicago.

she wanted to impress you! go for it!

Yeah, I know, I was fairly impressed too. Now I just feel like that's bullshit really. She's not the nicest person overall, so I guess she needed some kind of merit to cling to.

you should fuck her

Also I looked up entry requirements for engineering and found that they're much lower than psychology, to the point that I can attend almost anything except industrial economics or computer engineering at Sweden's top universities. I'm considering switching, because I'm getting a bit bored with psychology and I don't think I'll want to work as a psychologist for the rest of my life. Probably leaning towards industrial design, or possibly open entry which means if I study hard I can get into industrial economy either way. Thoughts? Tips? Any engineers here who want to rant about their education?

But she's not even good looking and I have a partner already.

our resident randroid should be here any minute

>But she's not even good looking and I have a partner already.
then don't

I "hate" /daily/

I'm going to "destroy" /daily/

/daily/fags

It's time to "die"

Actually seems I can get into computer science at Chalmer's, which is a top school.

who
I won't

jangle

Depends on where you want to live and work. If I wanted to live and work in Sweden then I would want to go to somewhere like Uppsala or Stockholm.

>partner
I really hate it when people say this

at least say "significant other" if you really want to call your girlfriend something clinical and sterile-sounding

head back over to reddit you fucking namefag

Pros:
>Money eventually
>You get to brag about being in STEM
>If you go into a very specific niche like corrosion people will start begging for you before you even graduate
>You can move out of your apocalypse-bound country easily

Cons:
>You don't actually have money yet (unless you get a stipend for being an extra good boy)
>The girls are probably ugly or nonexistent
>You don't get to sleep
>Your professors are probably from Korea or something and don't speak your language well at all
>You have absolutely no free time until you graduate so you are basically trading whatever youth you have for a cushier old man experience (this depends on what kind of engineering though, if you fall for a meme like computer, nuclear, etc. it applies even more)
>Everyone in your class is probably going to be a Putin/Assad loving libertarian with mild autism

Yeah, I don't want to work out in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, but that's where psychologists are paid the most.

Cute

From what I'm hearing, people are generally offered jobs long before they graduate regardless of their speciality as long as it's from a modestly prestigeous university. Then again, the same is true for psychologists. The demands per graduate is about the same, and the difference in income isn't all that big, engineers do make more money after some ten years of experience though. Then again, if I finish my psychology degree I'll likely pursue a career in academia, which means I get paid more than regular psychologists either way.

It's a tough choice. On the upside, I feel like a bachelor in psychology is somewhat of a merit when applying to any job later on, particularly executive positions.

cant believe jangle has bullied you into changing careers, weak

lulno. I just recently realised that I can actually get into an engineering degree easily. I thought the entry requirements where higher. In high school I wanted to be an engineer or doctor, not a psychologist.

nice passive-aggressive response

too bad it doesn't cover up your butthurt

Kawaii :3

t. the guy who one post ago was up in arms over how someone else refers to their partner lmop

neck yourself tripshit

why be mad when you could be glad

anyone else here post on internet forum?

>if you fall for a meme like computer
Wait, i thought cumper engineering was good?
Why's it a meme?

I meant computer, obviously

>steve "third" reich
how did he get away with this

i've heard it's quite a bit easier too, less coursework anyway

>saagara - 2
really compelling minimalism-type stuff. not exactly "jazzy" but the instrumentation is quite varied and there are a few solos. mostly, the compositions are gorgeous, with a focus on repetition. great stuff.

Sup Forums's not letting me upload the chart but this gets a 3.5/5

It's great. You are basically guaranteed 6 figures and job security until death, and every country on the planet wants you.

It's just that it requires quite a bit of studying according to the people I know who take it, the only people who have a remotely easy time are those who were Sup Forums since 7 years old.

copped that new Swans ayyyy lamaeoh

>You are basically guaranteed 6 figures and job security until death, and every country on the planet wants you.
>In Sweden the average yearly income for engineers with 5 years of education and 20 years of work experience is around 70k USD
:thinking_emoji:

Engineers are also oversaturated in your country if I recall. I don't know if going into the military for the international connections, clearance, etc. is really an option there as well.

I need four more recs from trips I haven't gotten recs from before.

1 album per trip, must be under two hours.

accepted

already heard

"user" isn't a trip

Considering too

>The girls are probably ugly or nonexistent
I never understood this point about stem tbqh. Literally all of the people I hang out with are outside my classes. Not tryna form a stem-lord friend group no thanks.

In the US it's actually the same, but a computer engineer's average salary is easily 6 figures with the same circumstances.

have I rec yet?

If no, Night Sun - Mournin'

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/коллежский_асессор/sex_bomben_auf_engelland/

Deathspell Omega - Fas – Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum

Looked up computer engineers as well, they still don't hit 6 figure salaries after 20 years of experience. They're at about 85k, or if in an executive position 90k.
Dunno, probably is. I know the demand for engineers isn't that immense compared to graduates, but everyone still gets a job. Basically the same as psychologists.

It also seems psychologists incomes are increasing steadily. It's already at about the same as engineers on average, but it seems like in the future experience might also become more valued and raise the income at higher experience levels.

one more

accepted

lmao accepted

I mean that's still plenty of nugs

It's much less than my dad has made for the last 30 years of his career, and he's just a lowly optician :shrug:

AHEM

corridor - le voyage eternel
(let this in over tuco)

Bumfuck nowhere is pretty nice when you're older though

Yeah but I'm not older yet.

no more ;)

oh yeah accepted.

still need one more though

in

how much money you make @ mac donalds in shweeden

Yeah, but you don't need to be paid when you're young though.

can i change my rec

hey I need one more rec. Kanzler is retarded.

fine

crescent - collected songs

It's shit.

But I want to live a luxurious bachelor's life in the middle of the city?

are we just gonna ignore this or what

one more rec plox

okay

i guess

Robert Ashley - wolfman