Prog rock vs. post rock

Which is the more patrician of the two genres?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e5rAwQmCwJw
youtube.com/watch?v=rMezOwBpuh8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

p o s t
o
s
t

What exactly is the distinction between the two?

Post rock is what post rock fans grow into when they discover atmosphere.

I assume you mean prog rock fans, and that sounds about right.

Post rock, prog is for faggy dweebs

prog rock (most of the time) puts the emphasis on technical skill as opposed to creativity while post rock isn't really defined enough.

prog rock definers
Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Jethro Tull

Prog outliers and bands that are progressive but not in the style of the bigger bands

Pink Floyd
Soft Machine
Magma
Can

Post rock definers
GYBE
mogwai
Sigur Ros

Post rock outliers
Swans (soundtracks for the blind and a couple live albums)
talk talk
disco inferno

I prefer post-rock. Haven't really heard enough prog to really say I'm huge into it, but post-rock is really just the natural progression from Prog.

prog rock could be tiring and overblown, but it's quite interesting

post rock? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. only drone is more boring than this stupid genre.

prog rock is better

have the underage faggots already got in this thread yet

first wave postrock

Post-rock is a subgenre of prog rock

Have you listened to GY!BE?

Prog, post-rock is punk musicians realizing prog is better but they don't have the talent needed, so instead the play one or two notes for extended period of time and get their music journalist buddies to come up with some pretentious label.

Post rock is a sub-genre of rock, and there is a distinction between prog and post rock.

epic post man xdddd

>I've never listened to post-rock

>there is a distinction between prog and post-rock
Yes, the former is broader and encompasses the latter.

Post rock is progressive, but when you say prog rock you're not talking about post rock. Are you just not able to answer the question in the OP, do you not have an opinion??

Maybe if you're a pleb who conflates prog with symphonic prog. In that case post-rock is clearly better.

Even if all post rock artists were less talented than prog rock artists, that would just show that talent doesn't always create enjoyable music.

Well, this exists so post-rock wins by default. Krautrock and avant-prog have a fair share of gems worth picking through.
Yeh.

Name one(1) post-rock album better than pic related

Laughing Stock

This. Also perhaps Lift Your Skinny Fists. Which isn't to say I don't also love Close to the Edge.

yes. boooooooooooooooring. i'd rather stick to something good like fsol and autechre.

All that shows is your taste doesn't span a very wide range.

Prog Rock, obviously.
Post Rock is good but 70% of it sounds the same and most of its fans are just a bunch of faggot teens.

I mean, you could argue that 70% of most music sounds like it others from its respective genres

>I don't like [genre]
>Have you listened to [most entry-level and overrated band in aforementioned genre]
Are you retarded m8

>Prog
>Metal
>Jazz
Even Metal subengenres have subgenres as well and they sound totally different. Same with Jazz, but not as much as Metal desu. Idk if you get my point.

Prog of yesteryear > Post rock.
Post rock of today > Prog of today
Post Metal of today > post rock of today

I like prog rock but I gotta admit that outside of bands like King Crimson and Rush the genre's kind of lame

They're famous and their fans are pretentious as fuck but come on, the band is still pretty good.

We'll if we're going to go with that, all post-rock is a sub genre of prog rock, making it more specific and differentiating it from all the other rock sub genres that are out there

Pram, Talk Talk, Slint and Tortoise sound nothing alike

You haven't listened to enough Prog then.

Give me some bands to listen to then

I don't remember saying 100%

Porcupine Tree / No Sound / Votum / Sylvan / Riverside / Regent / Deep Limbic System / Frost* / Thank You Scientist / The Pineapple Thief / Iamthemorning / Subsignal / Tiles (very similar to Rush) / The Mars Volta

>when someone around me implies that post rock and progressive rock aren't the same thing

ummmm, yeah no
i dont think so sweetie....

Just a little FYI..
All of the below genres are SYNONYMOUS with progressive rock:

>Experimental Rock
>Psychedelic Rock
>Art Rock
>Post Rock

That means everything from Radiohead to The Swans to David Bowie is progressive rock and falls under the same umbrella definition for the genre.

stop saying they are similar. post-rock is minimalist whilst prog is inherently maximalist.

Explain how Close to the Edge is maximalist. I'll wait. Oh, let me guess, you only count things as prog if they fit your narrow view of the genre?

Sigh...

Go back and read the definition for the term "P R O G R E S S I V E" and get back to me little one ^^

Both wrong.

>minimalist
youtube.com/watch?v=e5rAwQmCwJw
youtube.com/watch?v=rMezOwBpuh8

hes right. any rock that progresses the genre above classic rock/blues/southern rock is progressive rock. that includes experimentation, psychedelic influences, artistic composition, minimal production, etc

>swans is minimalist

TOP KEK. You realize that the album was released after 2 years of pioneering the genre right?
also
>it's wrong because these couples of bands do not apply to that rule.
yeah...

Prog

Post rock is a meme

ok so you admit to being wrong. NICE!!

who wants to try next?

Wrong. Progressive rock necessarily has progressive song structures. Experimental rock and art rock are both vague umbrella terms that hardly mean anything. Psychedelic rock is music that attempts to musically replicate the effects of psychedelic drugs that can have the simplest of pop structures. Post-rock is a subgenre of prog that places a focus on timbre and texture and is clearly distinct from the likes of Yes and Gentle Giant.

prog rock, the only memorable bands I've heard from post rock were tortoise and early stereolab

prog rock has floyd, faust, can, king crimson, and robert wyatt in the genre

did it pass over your head or something? jeez

>swans and gybe dontt have progressive song structure

but post has gastr del sol, slint, talk talk, and starfuckers

thanks for replying but the point still stands that you are
!Wrong!!
give me another if you'd like ;9

L I T E R A L L Y all of them

you're so dumb aren't you?

doesn't that make captain beefheart progressive

>implying i posted all my fave artists

t. never listened to Pram, Dirty Three, Talk Talk or Gastr del Sol

having some prog elements doesn't make a band progressive rock. is it progressive (by the literal definition of the word)? yes. is prog rock? no

what if it's a progressive post-rock album

big if true

Post rock musicians draw those prog elements back and keep the musical limits and boundaries at more of a minimum (with the exception of bands).
Prog rock musicians can put some ambient or metallic elements in their songs, does it make them Metal or Ambient?

progressive post-rock album >< progressive rock album with post rock influences

I prefer Post-Rock desu. I can't really get into Prog. It's too campy.

Also, I thought Post was a subgenre of Prog?

Who are you quoting

can be prog metal

maybe old prog metal. MOST new prog metal is just wank and djent-ing around with super annoying vocals.

but the question is not old vs new, it's whether or not.

it is. progressive rock is just any rock that doesn't sound like dadrock. thats the fact and /mu has to pretend to be special snowflakes and circlejerk their nu-male post rock shit and pretend its something new and groundbreaking

but post-rock can be something new and groundbreaking

Post rock is Ambient Rock which is by definition the same thing as Prog Rock. That is all.

but post-rock doesn't mean ambient rock

lol
^wroong~

there's plenty of post-rock releases that aren't ambient though

The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree use ambient elements quite often, does that make them Ambient? no
but to answer your question tho.. if it's on the whole album and the metallic elements are dominant and appear more than prog elements then yes, that does make the album a Prog Metal one, or it can be just a song.

here goes the dumbest shit i've read all day.

>zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>boooooooooooooooooooooring
>mentions completely different bands in completely different genres
Can we please ban this faggot

that would be Slint

only 1 of those is correct

Prog of yesteryear > Post rock
yeah, we know...

the point of the word 'progressive' is that it is unified in concept and is intended to be interpreted the same way a story would be, with a beginning middle and end. post rock throws this out the window; in fact collage and disparate genre changes are to post rock what indulgent instrumentation and pacing are to prog.

prog is for people who are too dumb for jazz and post rock for the ones who are too dumb for classical (or too young etc)

what about modern classical

There's a "shitpost" and then there's a "shit post".

This is the latter

t. doesn't listen to jazz or classical

What about it?

i think that's an either/or my friend

Damn you got nice taste user

You mean like Crippled Black Phoenix

>most entry-level and overrated
Good one, my dude.

Don't forget Yes.

Are you actually calling Sweet Trip post rock?

This is a thread about rock genres and you're talking about Autechre. That's all I really needed to know.

Gy!be is the only good post rock band though

And maybe mogwai

Talk Talk?

Post is more patrician because at least prog rock has some catchy songs.

that's the one I tried to hear. Kek