Trent Reznor

Why is he heralded as some sort of musical demigod?

Despite the decent production on his albums and some mildly catchy hooks I've always found his music, and specifically his lyrics; trite, overwrought, redundant, and tawdry/try-hard.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him or his music. I just think he is supremely overrated.

How do we feel about Reznor on Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fHdTXKE8NfE
youtube.com/watch?v=zAGtlgwFdhM
youtube.com/watch?v=oZ-QOQAnGT0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm not disagreeing that he is those things, but I would say that's part of the appeal. He makes it work, being overwrought is like his thing.

Tront
is that you?

he's one of us.

He survived everything. The last man standing of his era that maintained his quality.

>How do we feel about Reznor on Sup Forums?
if you were one of us then wouldn't you already know? such an obvious contradiction

Charming as fuck workaholic

youtube.com/watch?v=fHdTXKE8NfE

youtube.com/watch?v=zAGtlgwFdhM

youtube.com/watch?v=oZ-QOQAnGT0

Reposting from what was essentially a Reznor appreciation thread. If you type Trent reznor thread in the archive search you'll find a post related to it.

>Be Trent Reznor 2011-2013
>Now a family man
>Clean for nearly ten years
>Stable, happy all things consideed.
>Get bored
>Wake up one day and a wave of nostalgia overwhelms you
>"God... I miss who I was in 1994. He was pretty cool."
>Instantly reject that feeling and become scared of a relapse. Too much to lose.
>"I gotta get this out of my system. Say the things that I need to say."
>Dusts of Nine Inch Nails and gets back to work.
>Drops Hesistation Marks
>Generally received well
>Some call it boring
>Others think it's a cash grab
>Whatever. People are shit.
>Go on tour, dedicate a large effort to making it to a fantastic visual and audio expereicne.
>Tour sells out faster then you thought
>Step on stage and look out.
>Median age of crowd 17.4 years old
>You're fifty
>Kids are still flocking to your music because it's a timeless expression of rage, agony and reject which will never vanish.
>Your legacy is to be the voice many of these kids could never express
>"Now I am Bowie, Elder Statesman of Rock music."

A bit wanky at the end, and there's more before it that sums up each of his era's pretty well.

Honestly, he's some podunk hayseed who played a role well when playing roles well counted for something in pop culture. He used to have the right aesthetic for making money, the right face. He was in the right place at the right time and made the noisiest pop record in existence, which made him look smarter than he ever actually was. That being said it's hard not to admire what he was able to accomplish, even though his face was what paved the way for that.

He had a good run but this guy hasn't been relevant since the late 90s when he fell off. The fact that people even bother talking about this guys mediocre output during the last 20 years is a testament to how (generally speaking) music is way down in the shitter.

he likes depeche mode /thread

>“It was the summer of ’86. I’d dropped out of college and was living in Cleveland trying to find my way in the local music scene. I knew where I wanted to go with my life but I didn’t know how to get there. A group of friends and I drove down to Blossom Music Center amphitheatre to see the ‘Black Celebration’ tour. DM was one of our favourite bands and the ‘Black Celebration’ record took my love for them to a new level.

>“I’ve thought about that night a lot over the years. It was a perfect summer night and I was in exactly the right place I was supposed to be. The music, the energy, the audience, the connection… it was spiritual and truly magic. I left that show grateful, humbled, energized, focused, and in awe of how powerful and transformative music can be… and I started writing what would eventually become ‘Pretty Hate Machine'.

>Many times, particularly when we’re playing an amphitheatre, I’ll think of that show while I’m onstage and hope someone in the audience is in the midst of a perfect summer night feeling how DM made me feel so many years ago.”

back in the 90s, when he was in his 20s, overwrought made perfect sense... it's kinda cringeworthy if you are still exploring that theme once you get past 40, though...

Today is his birthday.

Just because you hit 30, those feelings aren't going anywhere. He was nearly 30 when he released TDS. being "wired wrong in the brain." as he puts it, isn't some to just snap out of,.So the music becomes a therapy and that means it's going to result in things that are cringy to say to nothing people's ears.

I wish this could've been any other way

but I just don't know

>trent reznor is a perpetual child incapable of growth
not an admirable trait in an artist senpai

Mentally ill = child

wew.

>muh doom and gloom
That shit's all a facade, and a glaringly obvious one at that. Reznor is in the entertainment business with an emphasis on the "entertainment". He's packaging a product for an audience. A particularly stupid one.

>feigning mental illness = child
yes exactly

Trent Reznor was his generations Corey Taylor. lol, they even have the same neanderthal neck and narrow shoulders. As does Mike Ness, oddly enough. They all have one thing in common though: they made the most visible in their genre (shitty, dumb, lowest common denominator) music for people who nobody wanted to kiss in high school. Go find the stupidest looking asshole you can find and ask him to name one industrial, metal, and punk artist and the likelihood they'll come back with Nine Inch Nails, Slipknot, and Social Distortion is extremely high.

Poseur music for vapid dilettantes.

Ive arrived at the conclusion that he's become self aware and accepting of his image as edgemaster supreme. Over time he figured out that the only way to keep being NIN and to keep the fanbase from ruining the image he wanted for his music was to dump as much effort as possible into it. He didnt really succeed but he did a hell of a lot better than Slipknot in that sense.

hes like a reverse marilyn
got less edgy and junked out over time, which is ironic given his whole schtick is supposed to be about him getting worse

Trent hit rock bottom and climbed out of his pit.

Marilyn still hasn't hit rock bottom. Somehow.

>Trent hit rock bottom and climbed out of his pit.
Yeah, we all read the With Teeth press release. If I was his manager I would have fired an ad agency who came up with something so cliched.

ITT