Do you read any newspaper comics?

Do you read any newspaper comics?

Pearls before swine is good

Peanuts

This isn't a lure thread is it?

This was in the days before the internet when just because it was a syndicated newspaper comic didn't mean it was quality. Daily strips were prepared months in advance, yes, but they were still shit gags, and artists made shit cash.

Bill Watterson has a very detailed history in his auto-bio-style Calvin & Hobbes book intro, covering the so-called Golden Age in the 60s of full-page Sunday strips, up to the 80s where strips were condensed to be as small and possible and had to meet strict spacing guidelines. He decried how quality of every other sort -- coloring, writing, etc -- declined with such treatment.

With the explosion of webcomics and of course graphic novels, higher quality is now demanded of newspaper comics and they are pretty much in a new Golden Age, at least once the rest of the old-guard artists die off.

back in middle school like 2002-2004 some were consistently good most were shit

zits had its moments
foxtrot was genuinely funny back then
hagar the horrible wasn't so bad (get it)

just Dilbert

this is the only correct answer. even Doonesbury is burnt out. Dilbert used to be the king like, 20 years ago.

Bloom County, Calvin and Hobbs and Far Side were the only ones worthy to print on paper.

I like a lot of Dilbert but only saved a few

yup every morning...Baby Blues, Pickles, Rose is Rose etc etc...

Baby Blues has a great cartoon

i was really into marmaduke as a kiddo... i did a fucking entire report with pictures on the damn fucker

kek

I'm saving this for a "too long; didn't read" post

SCREAMSS

i-i don't like marmaduke anymore ):

It's really sad that this is probably the most well written official Garfield comic out there...

I think this is in the top 3 at least

I was always genuinely confused by Marmaduke, even as a kid. Like, was there supposed to be a punchline I wasn't getting? At least I knew stuff like For Better or Worse was some kind of continuing saga, so not knowing wtf was supposed to be entertaining about it was ok.

That (wo)man has boobs and a mustache

I think for me- i mean i was a little kid anyway, i wouldn't have gotten humor beyond fart noises lol- i was just super into the art style. Plus i was super into anything with a dog in it.
haven't read newspaper comics in yeears, though- who knows if i'd like any of that now

>Do you read any newspaper...
there it stops for most of us bud