Anyone else heard of Daniel Johnston? Curious to hear some your guys thoughts and opinions on him

Anyone else heard of Daniel Johnston? Curious to hear some your guys thoughts and opinions on him.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ytlsOW4rv0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=L_RbSAwMa3U&ab_channel=blob4000
youtube.com/watch?v=gEg5ndDeLEA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ue7YoKhZikc
youtube.com/watch?v=EROA0JvHBf4
youtube.com/watch?v=zmT3Cu4avLk
youtube.com/watch?v=t28bt3wPNcY
youtube.com/watch?v=L_RbSAwMa3U
youtube.com/watch?v=TV6LPx1ezYs
youtube.com/watch?v=iUFd3WMXUt8
youtube.com/watch?v=-qgXYvjVNvk
youtube.com/watch?v=l3rzKsXnS-E
youtube.com/watch?v=Fn2feeA9YmA
youtube.com/watch?v=G6VCF2qG2Gg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>t. summerfag

watched the doc on netflix a while back. Was depressing as fuck.

cmon senpai

>depressed autist makes shit music
I get that his music is "haunting" or "like looking into the mind of a mentally ill person" or whatever, but it still sucks.

I think the lsd and weed fucked him good.

>weed
>tfw used to smoke all the time
>tfw smoking gives me extreme anxiety attacks and horrible intrusive thoughts now
Feels bad, man.

I think it can only be balanced by working out.

it did.

i used to do acid. frequently. once or twice a week, for a year and a half. it fucked me royally. i will never touch it again. i've got a good thing going. it's that shit that makes you kill. that makes you not realize you're even doing it, but just eats away

I understand people don't like his music because he can't sing well, but he's one of my favorite musicians. I identify with his lyrics a lot

This. It may not be conventionally good music, but it's sincere as hell and genuinely heartbreaking, like attending your son's middle school talent show and being really proud of his performance even if no one else liked it.

That is very frequent, wouldnt you have to up your dosage a lot to even trip that often

not the guy ur responding to but 3 days and your tolerance is pretty much reset senpai

seems a bit condescending

this.

it was frequent, but as says, it resets around every 3-4 days. which is why i'd do it specifically that often at the time. it made the days stretch out, like a dream. the very first time i tripped i was with a girl that i loved, and to this day it's one of the most memorable experiences i've ever had, but i regret it immensely because when we broke up i resorted to using acid to try to recapture that feeling even alone, even in nostalgia. just laying in bed staring at the ceiling with the same music going, feeling like i should end it all. and the days would just drag on. i'd use it and write music, or use it and play super smash bros for hours on end, or try using it with other girls i barely knew, or there was this one time i'd been dancing at the docks close by my house to at the drive in's album "vaya" and when i was walking home, there was this tree with beautiful, large white flowers. a magnolia, i think. i got home and got this idea that i should cut on my leg and run my blood all over it, like a flower being desecrated to represent innocence lost. then cut it up. cut the flower into hundreds of pieces with my blood caked all over it and took pictures of it and edited them with my blood all over the place. then wrote more music

acid can be used very responsibly and can have zero side effects, or it can fuck you up on the odd chance you're susceptible. it's the danger in messing with your brain chemistry and not knowing the exact method of action

Nice post, no irony.

fuck off

Dude was taken advantage of and exploited like crazy.

Not really..acid just doesn't vibe well with some people

have to be in a good headspace and some people (like daniel johnston) just wind up tipping. weird personality types

youtube.com/watch?v=ytlsOW4rv0Y

relatable, my life too is cringy as fuck
love his songs

>literally Sup Forums essential chart music
>have u heard of him?
But since you made this thread, yes, I like him a lot
"Hi, How Are You" was a strangely colourful album, and I didn't expect it to be anything enjoyable when I first put it on, but when it finished, I felt like my soul was fed. Some kind of sincerity and intimacy came from the record that left a huge impact in me.
Obviously not for everyone though.

youtube.com/watch?v=L_RbSAwMa3U&ab_channel=blob4000

he wasn't schizophrenic until later on

he was only a LITTLE autistic before the drugs fucked him up

i live in austin and i hate that on my way to class i walk by sorority girls and hipster girls taking pictures in front of the hi how are you mural

Unfortunately a gay meme cause of kurt but the music is actually surprisingly good. just like everyone else has said it is extremely sincere which is charming.

brilliant songwriter, his discog is super rewarding because there are loads of connections he draws and interpositions of his life and the struggle against Satan

he isn't autistic, just manic depressive and schizophrenic
anyone who covers his songs does not understand what makes them work

1990 > Songs of Pain > Don't Be Scared > Merry Christmas > Why Me > Hi, How Are You > More Songs of Pain > It's Spooky > The What of Whom > The Lost Recordings > Retired Boxer > Yip / Jump Music > Respect > Continued Story > Artistic Vice

haven't heard most of his studio stuff because quite frankly it's pretty awful

the doc would have been so much better if it didn't focus on Kathy McCarthy and her husband and if it didn't hail Daniel as a genius every few minutes. The direction isn't that great either.

dude i love curt kobain too

I've never felt so ree normie

>anyone who covers his songs does not understand what makes them work

this, exactly this. i could never imagine covering one of daniel's songs, and every time i hear one, it just feels...wrong.

He's talked about all the fucking time here. Really, how new are you?

I'm so sick of these threads with someone asking "What does Sup Forums think about..." and then there's some basic Sup Forumscore artist that has 15 threads each day already.

feel ya

the worst offenders:
youtube.com/watch?v=gEg5ndDeLEA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ue7YoKhZikc
youtube.com/watch?v=EROA0JvHBf4

This only happens if you have a genetic predisposition for it. 99% of people who smoke weed in moderation will never suffer from this sort of thing. If you get anxious smoking it probably just means you don't enjoy smoking anymore. I got tired of it eventually so I cut back, lived my life and now I can enjoy it every once in a while.

He has one good song, the rest is trash

youtube.com/watch?v=zmT3Cu4avLk

nothing on that album compares to anything on 1990. His albums arranged by other people tend to suck, this album and this track included.

shit songwriter and no one can say why he's good without some bullshit about him being "endearing"

he's trash and I lose respect for anyone who says he's a genius

Just admit you don't like his music for his music, you just think it's cool being different and obsessing over a mentally ill man that makes music.

it's like that mentally ill black homeless man that was part of the Chicago hardcore scene: you only enjoy the music due to the image associated with it.

I was the same way when I was 17 (I'm 27 now), you'll grow out of it.

I like the imagery across all of his albums. I like his sense of melody. I like lo-fi fuzz and sound collage. Just because you don't see the appeal doesn't mean everyone who likes it is doing it for the image.

this

I think it's a rite of passage to grow out of Daniel Johnston before 21

He's good because his music is an interesting look into the mind of an artist. I wouldn't say he is a genius, he is just Daniel Johnston.

when do you outgrow thinking people need to outgrow music you don't like

quads confirm

my ex girlfriend used to love him and set this album cover as her phone wallpaper. the break-up is still recent as fuck and i'll probably never get over her, so the guy's music is ruined for me until i can stop associating him with her, which is a shame because i like him as well.

This, the dude's sense of melody is fantastic sometimes, despite his lack of singing ability. Tbh voice is such a tiny aspect of music to me now that it doesn't affect my perception of him at all.

Like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=t28bt3wPNcY

This is fantastic, I don't care who you are or how much you think it's about his being "different." It's just straight up good, emotive music.

Also this

Beeeeautiful

youtube.com/watch?v=L_RbSAwMa3U
youtube.com/watch?v=TV6LPx1ezYs
youtube.com/watch?v=iUFd3WMXUt8
youtube.com/watch?v=-qgXYvjVNvk
youtube.com/watch?v=l3rzKsXnS-E
youtube.com/watch?v=Fn2feeA9YmA
youtube.com/watch?v=G6VCF2qG2Gg

the eels "living life" was decent

to me it sounds like they're trying way too hard to wring out every last bit of melodrama from the song. It's originally a goofy, relatively happy song and they're playing it like a dirge.
still, one of the better ones out there

ANYONE HEAR ABOUT THIS BAND CALLED THE BEATLES?

love the early piano stuff. pop music at its best.