Israeli film recommendations?

Israeli film recommendations?
>inb4 political discussion

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Gliders
imdb.com/title/tt0075948/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rabin, The Last Day.
Very solid documentary/film about assassination of Rabin and the events surrounding it.

Tikkun
A Jewish boy from an ultra conservative family has a near death experience and it fucks his view of life.

Can't find any dvd releases of any of those two, but thanks.

I saw both of them this year on a festival, might not have gotten wide release yet.

Bump

beaufort is a solid 6.5-7.5 israeli war movie. based on a much better book. the film is like a nice addition to the book

most israeli films are pretty israel oriented and probably wouldn't interest too much someone who isn't israeli

The Little Drummer Girl

>most israeli films are pretty israel oriented and probably wouldn't interest too much someone who isn't israeli

I notice this. Themes of war and Arab-Israeli relations while the ordinary dramas and comedies have no English subtitles or are hard to find. Pic related, it looks halfway decent but I bet nobody on Sup Forums has seen it.

israeli films are occasionally great but only if you get the cultural context behind them which is something that probably can only happen to an israeli. i don't want to give you the impression that nothing good gets made here

I understand the fundamentals of Judaism, which is probably 1/3 of the cultural context of Israel which is something I somewhat know about.

> i don't want to give you the impression that nothing good gets made here

There's quality films produced, but they're just very hard to find especially since I don't live in Israel. Pic related, another film that seems interesting but no English subtitles in sight.

Assi Dayan's גבעת חלפן אינה עונה (Givat Halfon Eina Ona) (Halfon Hill Doesn't Answer) is a classic comedy.

According to some sources, the "most Israeli" film of all time.

try watching the film "zero motivation" you won't get it entirely but it's pretty digestible and a good starting point for you. it's also pretty good

>inb4 political discussion
>proceeds to post literal israeli propaganda

hurrr durr

if you'd watch WWB you'd know it's a pretty harsh movie. far from propganda

Anyone know that film about the British Arab who finds out he is a Jewish man?

Not an Israeli movie though, but looks funny.

It's the most known Israeli film on Sup Forums.

Cheers.

English subtitles are available and looks interesting. Will take a look at it, thanks.

bear in mind you'll miss out all sorts of small references that only israelis will understand but the basic skeleton of the story is digestible

fun fact: the director made this movie as a form of criticism but it was received as pure comedy in israel

This is such a great film.

I had to watch this in my political science lecture. Professor was a jew, of course, who tried his damndest to get us to sympathize and love Israel

Only contributed to my hate of the eternal jew, desu

an example to a cultural reference that will pass by you. at a certain point in the movie a big fuck up happens at base and the gate guard is "at fault" for it even though he had nothing to do with it. this is a reference to this occurrence. blaming the gate guard is an israeli slang for covering you own shit up by blaming the lowest and weakest person in the food chain. which is something that happens all the time in the IDF

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Gliders

From a viewpoint of an Israeli soldier

I can't think of many memorable movies I've watched as an Israeli, I remember Saint Clara ("Clara Ha-Kdosha") was pretty cool.

I'm from Israel, Most are quite shit

"most" films are quite shit everywhere. which is why most people don't know them usually

As an Israeli person, Waltz with Bashir is probably the best film from here, Ha-Shoter Azulai (Not sure about the spelling in English,השוטר אזולאי) is also really good but it might be Difficult for someone not from Israel

There are about 3 films that I would consider great

Was meant for

>3 films

Name them, please? I see quite a few quality looking films, but they don't seem to garner much attention at film festivals.

Ha-shoter Azulai
Waltz with Bashir
Ha-doda Clara

Seconded.

You mean Saint Clara (Clara Hakedosha)?

>actual film discussion on Sup Forums
Whoa whoa, slow down now. I can't let this happen.

Saddest movie i've ever seen

>movie about autistic Jews and their pointless quibbles about Jewry
Why isn't Footnote more popular on Sup Forums?

imdb.com/title/tt0075948/
Nope.

Eyes Wide Open
A married, Orthodox, Jerusalem butcher falls in love with his 22-year-old male apprentice

Anyone seen this? How much qt can I expect?

A good amount, but if you aren't israeli the plot might seem a bit cunfusing, a lot of Israeli culture.
But it is good and have some qt in it

Thanks, I found out about this movie yesterday and was wondering if I should watch it tonight
I don't care that much about plot if it has enough qt in it

Ushpizin (2005)
It's kinda a family flick but cool to see poor orthodox folks and shady Israeli criminals in Jerusalem.

i would suggest watching joseph cedar films and
"eyes wide open"

Israeli here, don't usually watch israeli films.

Watched Baba Joon last year and was really impressed, it was Israel's entry to the oscars so there's bound to be subtitles somewhere.

Also saw Hunting Elephants on cable, it's mostly in English I think, and features Patrick Stewart.