Best Linux distro and why

Best Linux distro and why.
GO

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/systemd/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ubuntu

why?

centos for servers, fedora for desktops. RPM wins.

You couldn't be more wrong. Gentoo is what you want op

Debian

>Best window manager
i3

>Best text editor
vim

>Best terminal emulator
urxvt256colors

I've tried everything and always end up going back to Mint.

RPM is shit and so is RedHat and all of its cancer.

Gentoo/Funtoo gets my vote for allowing unprecedented choice, an actually stable example of rolling-release, and leaving the most control in the hands of the user. The manual compilation can be a pain in some environments, but for servers at least you can make one into an update server, saving a ton of hassle.

Everyone starts on Ubuntu

Probably Ubuntu

Best overall experience, not so much for specialized stuff like servers, etc, but most accessible imo. I also like the UI better than most other distros.

Wrong. I didn't, RMS didn't, Linus Torvalds didn't, anyone with self-respect didn't.

Windows 10. It's fast, secure, and runs all the latest games. I've never been more satisfied with my computer, than after I got my free upgrade, generously provided by Microsoft. Did you know that Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft, has a charity that does amazing work all around the world? Just one more reason I'm glad I switched back. Linux is nice and all, but nothing compares to the streamlined grace of a polished, professional OS. Nothing compares to the ease of use of the most popular OS in the world. Nothing compares to Microsoft Windows.

If you're going to go rolling release at least go arch. Gentoo is weak shit.

Ask me how I know you haven't used linux in any environment but your crusty thinkpad.

If you have no idea what the fuck you're doing start with Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Partition them next to Windows just in case you don't like using a Linux distro.

Slackware. Because Slack.

based debian oldest distro

openSUSE

All shit.

KALI LINUX
BITTTCCCHHHHH

Kali

I love you

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as UI is in fact Ubuntu/UI, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Ubuntu plus UI. User interfaces are not an operating system unto themselves, but rather an extension to an already functioning OS as defined by POSIX. Furthermore, you can make any distro look like any other distro. Saying "I like how it looks" is the equivalent to saying you like a car with a shit engine and nice body more than a car with a great engine and the exact same body. Now that you understand your retardation, I hope you fix it and I bid you farewell.

mint master race

your mom is shit

I love Arch.

I'm too lazy though to install from scratch whenever I get a new computer, so I use Antergos instead. Still arch, just an easier install.

>Best Linux distro and why.

This like asking which kitchen utensil works best. You use a fork for one thing, a knife for another, a spoon because youre a faggot, and a spork when you mean business.

ubuntu (preferably xubuntu) for day to day desktop

anything debian-based for servers that need a light-weight, but up2date environment

fedora if you drink bleach on the reg

rhel/centos for longterm deployment web stacks (or related)

blackbox/kali/tails/qubes for security or pentesting oriented applications

gentoo or arch for power users or neets and autists that prefer 100% control over every aspect of their pathetic existence

and your PC always has windows on it somewhere if you enjoy gaming to any real degree

Linux from Scratch is the most fun, but all depend on your definition of fun.

/thread

Wow look at you. You sure do know a lot!

I use Linux Mint.

He sure does.

Windows 10

complete genius. wow.

I bet he gets all the ladies wet with how intelligent he is.

Enjoy your spyware.

this is you

I bet they all want his gnu seed.

t. CIA Nigger
>most popular OS in the world
Pajeet's 1337 Java hackering made Android more popular

sooth speekst (Thou)

Don't insult the GNU overlord. You will perish under his mighty GNU plus Sword.

He does not have time for peasants.

Mint cause I like the color green :)

Gotta save it all up for those power compiles.

Mint is the official Sup Forums distro and here's why

arch linux. it somehow managed to run on a machine with a factory defective motherboard... 2 more months than it was supposed to.

Must be magic as fuck

>using products solely because of political agenda
Wow you're very smart

Yep, I'm sure he really thinks for himself and formulates his own ideas and opinions

I hate ubuntu after they rehauld the os. Crunch bang was dope. I still have bunsenlabs on my laptop but I'm probably going to switch it over. Kali is dope but it's not some shit I want installed on my desktop.

Mint all day long baby.

samefag

maybe. to be fair, it didn't become apparent that the issue was that big until it had just about given up. the exponential decline was telltale, though.

fagsame

Samefag

I started on Ubuntu. Really liked it. I'm not sure what to try next.

debian is worth a try

A life

Try mint. Clean af.

>defaults to systemd as of late
No thinks. Take your PID 1 botnet elsewhere

that's not nice

Yeah I've been looking to mint but wasn't too sure. I think i'll give it a try once this semester is over.

Nor was your mom's skanky puss after I was finished filling it with my milky cum

Kali linux - for the keks

systemd actually works pretty well if you like having a modern OS.

how much did they pay you?

I started on PCLinuxOS. It sucked out loud, but it at least gave me the basics of the command line. I played around with Ubuntu Gnome 6.06, but I didn't switch to it permanently until 7.04. Broadcom wrappers sucked. I've pretty well stuck with Ubuntu because it does what I need. Although I've not successfully moved Skyrim over (it's been done, just not enough time in my day to do it) I have gotten San Andreas and several other PC titles to work well by copying the exact install from windows to the appropriate places in the .wine C:/ drive folders.

I rather like Mint 17.1's gnome interface. I use it on my home entertainment laptop that's connected to the tv, but it's still too buggy for my everyday use at work.

Systemd is a botnet and you know it, CIA nigger.

If you don't believe me, just look back at heartbleed, which was caused by a single typo. The guy even admitted to doing it on purpose for the government.

Now, the creator of systemd worked for redhat, which is a confirmed botnet. What do you think he's "accidentally" put in the 100,000 lines of systemd?

OpenRC is better anyway.

Oh you've actually read some source code for an init process?

mint+kde ftw

Shill, go away.

init insofar as an upstart proc? PID 1? yeah systemd is almost like choosing cancer

>arch linux
Shittiest, edgiest, most broken distro.
kys

github.com/systemd/
Not exactly difficult. It's also not difficult to research instead of mindlessly following what people tell you on Sup Forums

Crazy people who spout crazy shit should at least attempt to provide some evidence supporting their crazy claims.
>durr durr redpilled as fuck durrrrrr alexjones

I use Arch + i3

I mean the source code for sysvinit or upstart, not an upstart process. You can read a systemd service as easily as what you're talking about.

>github.com/systemd/
So then you've read it to know it's not a botnet?

I know it's not a botnet already.

>I don't know how to verify facts so I b8 people into being my own personal wikipedia
You're not fooling me. Why don't you go look for yourself you lazy nigger? You do realize you have actual nigger mentality right now by being lazy and expecting to be spoonfed, right nigger? Fucking nigger.

>oh look i found a line it says
>if (personal information, 1);
>send to ([email protected]
>then turn on webcam

So why don't you read it, find the botnet, submit a patch and make it public? You got this shit bro.

Oh fuck. How could I be so wrong? Thanks for pointing that out.

Chrome OS

Because it's simple and only faggots think they will ever do more than surf the web and masturbate on a computer

>i cant provide evidence, i just say crazy nonsensical shit and hope people come to the same crazy nonsensical conclusions based on nothing
>durr conspiracy tard redpiled durrr
fuck off to pol

here is a link proving you are retarded:
github.com/systemd/
btfo

>what is heartbleed
>how was heartbleed exploit caused

Yeah, it's not like openssl is one of the most horribly short on developers piece of critical codes out there. Have you ever seen how many people develop it?

Fix it or stop bitching.

>oh yeah
>well
>there was that exploit that one time
>that was patched
>and is a non-issue by now
>btfo...

Ubuntu

Just to piss you off

linuxmint=(ubuntu - thebullshit)

Debian, because I say so.

Install gentoo

Anyone have the linux penguin r34???

This.

>CentOS for Servers

That opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

CentOS was_literally_ invented by company that was too f*ing cheap to pay for RedHat support so they pulled all the proprietary modules from it and put in open source ones.

So it's a fork of a f*ing fork from the cheapest bastards available who were too lazy to just start their own fork.

Suse, Ubuntu, heck Debian is a better server distro than CentOS, which represents everything wrong with Linux.

OpenBSD

i use Debian 8. ive never had a problem with it, its fast and reliable. i use linux mint on my desktop computer. mint can be a pain in the ass though, its glitchy

Third.

Fedora workstation because that's what Linus T. uses.

>apt-get update
>apt-get upgrade
>reboot
>everything breaks
>gui is dead
>wewew

>Robin Seggelmann confessed to purposefully causing heartbleed
>he surely wasn't paid by government officials to do it
>he just wanted to hack anyone using openssl to steal their waifus and cp
Of course guys, of course. And surely now Lennart Poettering, a man funded by RedHat, which is an OS with the biggest amount of ties to the government, is developing systemd and making sure it's secure, even though anyone outside the project can't audit it as fast as it's being developed. Of course we can trust them, right guys? They deserve a second chance, right guys?