Okay Sup Forums

Okay Sup Forums

Let's say someone's having a police raid-search at this house tommorow, what's the best way to completely remove files from his computer, as well as completely remove what I deleted from the recycle bin?

Also what would be the best thing to do to "lock" an HDD? Would it be encryption? And what are the cons of it?

Completely remove? Open the drive and smash the disk into powder.

Encrypt using 256bit or higher bullshit

Why do oyu want to incriminate yourself

>>best way to completely remove files from his computer, as well as completely remove what I deleted from the recycle bin?

Thermite

Delete system 32?

Boot from a Linux flash drive, and dd /dev/zero /mnt/[HDD NAME]. Afterwards a nail through the disk is a good measure.

As for encryption, can't say much other than it will make booting / large file reading a lot slower.

Delete system 32.

> someone's having a police raid-search at this house tommorow,

They schedule these things now? What is there a secretary that calls you up and tells you to expect a raid between the hours of 12pm and 6pm?

to make your files irretrievable you have to completely destroy the drive. in a raid you don't have time for a software-based approach. complete destruction is your only option.

this will work.

I'd just remove it and stash it at your parents / friends house. Then just pop a new drive in with a fresh install. Otherwise just google for data destruction software.

a giant hammer, just that !

in the us refusing to decrypt a drive police have a warrant to search is misdemeanor obstruction of justice

but the cops need to know where to look. encrypt your files, hide them in a hidden partition which is hidden in another encrypted partition. decoy layers.

plug the harddrive you want to erase as a second harddrive on a second pc

low level format this shit
you can find programs that does the job

and to be sure it works, burn the harddrive

f i r e

DBAN

overwrite all necessary files or fully corrupt them somehow and encrypt with a OTP.

>>Hear shout at door, pick up .9mm, place barrel to the middle of the hdd, remove safety, pull trigger.

Put all the files you want to keep from your hard disk and whatever else and move it over to a backup. Then destroy or throw out the old drive.

Oh the ignorance....

put everything in a microwave. once you start seeing frequent sparks, its wiped and dead

but by doing that, its suspicious and gives the police grounds to try get a warrant to investigate all your internet activity

This, if you want to have it still intact you'll have to check out:
A) Is your hard drive an SSD? If yes simply deleting completely destroys your data, ssd's work like that.
B) In case it's an older model you'll need to overwrite everything, the fastest way i could think of would be to take eraze the filesystem with a simple fast format and then copying some large files on there to fill up most of the space (large files get transferred faster than small files of the sum of the same size). Then smaller files. Then the smallest ones.
If you're a lazy fag you might wanna check for removal tools like abylonsoft shredder, plus random recovery tools in order to verify that you can't find shit anymore. Remember to delete your system as it's pretty likely you've left traces of WHATEVER you're trying to get rid of.

Open it and smash the disks with a hammer, no big pieces.
The microwave everything to be sure.

Get some bolt cutters, completely destroy it as in greater than 50 peices
then burn it for good measure
then bury the burnt bits

Why is this suspicious? I microwave my hard drives regularly.

Shh, let people think that Anonymity is a thing that still exists.

lol, they get cold at night...

Smack dat bitch like your father smacked your mother

>police at door
>grab gun
>fire round after refusing to open door
>120 rounds removed from body at the coroner's office
This plan works too I suppose

9 mm wont perforate the case of a standard 3.5".

if you're lucky the shock might shatter a disk, or two but theres no guarantee on that.

if theres time DBAN
if theres no time DRILL
if you're living at least 50m off the ground toss the drive out of the windows onto something solid.

water does nothing.
normal fire does nothing.
thermite is unreliable and dangerous.
quick format is unreliable.
proper low level format takes ages.
proper encryption is safe but vulnerable to corruption.

for encryption use vera or the last good truecrypt.

If you destroy it get rid of the remains, throw it in a river or bury it or something like that.

because its destroying potential evidence
idk what country OP is in, but where i live it would make the pigs suspicious and they would try get a warrant to look into my digital footprint, passed social media obviously

Overwrite with psuedorandom data. Whole drive via dban or files/free drive space with eraser.

Well how do you think the feds find you? They COULD theoretically watch and/or save the entire internet history of everyone, but on the other hand they lack the capacity to do so, so you only get caught if you end up in one of their traps.
Let's say one of their traps was the new linkin park album you've downloaded, so a fully armed squad enters your home in order to detain you. In order to prevent that you've also downloaded the newest katie perry album you could consider to wreck your drives.

>in the us refusing to decrypt a drive police have a warrant to search is misdemeanor obstruction of justice
no its not, if they told you and you believed them you're fucking retarded. You can be found in contempt of court for not unlocking the device, but relevant cases are still making their way through the system. So far there hasn't been a case where the cops were simply executing a warrant prior to an arrest and didn't already see the files in question. Everything thats been going through the system involves dumbasses showing the cops their stuff and then refusing to unlock it at trial.

this

open the hard drive, and destroy everything inside it.

You haven't tried unscrewing it and smashing the insides with a sledgehammer?

Well obviously after you shoot the drive you lay down on the floor with your fingers interlocked behind your head DUMBASS.
>>This why kids keep getting shot by cops, too stupid to think 2 seconds into the future...

take the drive out and heat it over a wood fire or a gas stove - not a microwave oven - until it glows.

it simply takes to long.

and if you're supposed to get rid of a bunch of drives at once you're royally screwed.

might be a great exercise though.

might be a

just download ccleaner
and select wipe free disk space at least 7 times

CCleaner wipe empty space is enough

"a police raid" consists of one maybe two 50+ year old local policeman going through your files.
They dont have to money and manpower for NSA-style phorensic, and CCleaner is a medium-to-big problem even for them

you should keep important files on a 256/512gb SSD. even better if it's a nice external SSD. one they don't store old data like platters do. two they format faster and completely erase all data when they do. three they come with built in encryption. four no need to wipe free space because there is no free space, it's used and discarded as needed.

basically, only misinformed people still store shit on HDDs.

op must be in europe

>implying they only have a warrant for the hard drive and not the whole computer and your isp
You're cute, kid

might be a what?

>is your hard drive a ssd
>simply deleting will work
>eraze
>only one overwrite
>done manually
>this whole post

Wew lad.

Op it depends on why they're searching you. They won't spend the resources required to look at residual electrons for a misdemeanor so a simple 0x00, 0xFF, then random overwrite would be fine there

this is why i keep about a hundred really old hard drives just sitting around. most of them don't have working interfaces any more (RLL anyone? heh) and they've all been wiped with huge, fuck-off magnets. if the cops want to go through my stuff, they'll have to go through all of the drives. it should take them months just to find the parts that will allow them to be read, or it'll cost them a huge amount of money for a recovery agency.

>what is the right to not self-incriminate

What about hydrofluoric acid?

I've been thinking about pottery ovens
I mean, you SHOULD have a clean drive arround so your computer looks like it's operating normally while all those other ones fry while the cops search your shit.

Put a blank HDD in the PC, install Windows on it, fill your internet history with "how do i donate to police" and "funny animal videos"

>implying they are waiting for the door to be opened before shooting
>implying cops don't shoot people lying on the ground
Wew lad

oh, right, i'll just run down to Wal-mart and buy an economy size bottle of HF. they keep it next to the fuckin' white vinegar.

>They won't spend the resources required to look at residual electrons for a misdemeanor
As far as i've read this was done with single bits, but never with an entire drive. Did i miss something?

what are magnets?

Magnets don't randomly polarize the data:
Think of bits as not 0 and 1 but as 0 to 10 and everything above 5 gets interpreted as a 1.
If you apply a magnet the original 9 gets a 4 thus not directly readable but with the given resources you can still do it.

And thermite is easier to find.

>>implying cops don't shoot people lying on the ground
As long as OP is white it should be all good.

shit, thermite is easier to MAKE.

if I were you I would remove the hard drives, destroy them by disassembling and using a hammer to shatter the disc, dispose of the pieces at a remote location and put in a fresh hard drive

>but with the given resources you can still do it.

yes, but we don't have access to the kind of technology employed by the Culture Minds in Iain M Banks' SF novels. nobody does.

The best thing to do is to completely fucking destroy the hard drive. I mean take it out, cut it in to pieces, smash it, then burn it as hot as you can, then smash up the remnants again, and bury the ashes in different areas.

Experience:
>five years working in computer forensics
>have worked hundreds of computer forensics cases for private, and Government
>my experience in talking about this with dozens of police forensics guys, industry leaders, forensic researchers and forensic recovery software developers
>a degree in computer forensics

Trust me on this one OP

HF wouldn't do shit anyway, it's for dissolving silicon based shit and bones.
Aqua Regia which is made of hydrochloric and sulfuric is for metals, and you probably could get it from Wal-Mart from what I hear.

They already have copies of whatever the fuck you think you are thinking of getting rid of from a sniffer one house up the network from your house, if you really have something to hide, you've been screwed from the start. Like this entire thread is bullshite and bravado, they don't RAID your house they get an arrest warrant and stop you on your way to the quickstop and then question you and blindside you with ISP records. If they can get you to write a confession, even better just means you'll be in jail less time until your lawyer pleads you out.

"Okay, ready with the door-smashing ram? in three, two, o- wait, he's going out to dispose of the pieces of his shattered hard drive. we'll just wait here quietly until he gets back."

What if you continuously run a strong (neodynium) magnet over it several times? would that fully corrupt the files?

Lawfag here
at least here in the US
It's all circumstantial, which is not enough for a conviction let alone a charge.

So social media/email/forum accounts/etc is fuck all if that HDD is destroyed.

Don't know, may be true, may be false.

well OP says it's happening tomorrow so I presumed he is asking what one would do today

Magnet shit (usually) doesnt kill harddrives anymore. (Except if it is an really old one)

if it comes to that, they don't need to find anything illegal on your HD. if they want to, they can plug it into their own pc, change the date, leave whatever shit they want to and claim it was there all along.

can you afford a forensic computer expert to point out that the incriminating files were dated four months ago but the sectors were all located in new, un-allocated areas? can you find a judge who actually understands that shit? do you think you have the legal resources to fight the police?

no. we are all fucked. there's no point in hiding your illegal shit. may as well let it float in the wind.

i think it goes without saying that magnets are unreliable just burn or smash it then throw it in some river

Ever tried it?

>tommorow, what's the best way to completely remove files from his computer
>>tommorow,

Nigger, just get rid of the drive.
You should just be able to toss it in a a lake somewhere the cops won't find it.
If you're really paranoid, open the drive, remove the disks, sandpaper those fuckers.

I just bought a 700GB laptop drive for $60.
Is keeping your "friend" out of jail worth more than $60?

The simplest way is to plan ahead.

Essentially have something akin to an industrial blender/grinder that loops the materials back into the grinding gears over and over again.

This works for large HDD destructive as well as single. In fact, destroying several HDD's together in this fashion would make it even more difficult to recover jack shit from the shattered disks.

Only thing you can really do better would to be having it loop through a section where microwaves are being emitted.

of course this is if you're particularly driven and expecting the possibility of literally being raided.

>implying most of us store shit that needs to be hidden from law enforcement

what is 0x00 and 0xFF dear user

Exactly! Just take your turn through the revolving doors of crime and get back to it, it's hard as fuck to get out of those revolving doors once you step into them though and you'll pay for it FOREVER.

Just soak it in bleach. It isn't that hard.

It's hexadecimal for binary:
0000 0000 and 1111 1111.
Meaning overwrite everything with ones or zeros.

tell us more information and such if you really did work 5 years in comp forensics. Steps that you undertook to recover files etc.

Can you still drink it afterwards?

As a means of prevention, would full-disc encryption using something like Veracrypt of Bitlocker be sufficient, assuming it was implemented correctly?

>Meaning overwrite everything with ones or zeros
how would this be effective/halt them from being able to search your HDD?

huehu

Bullshit

Here's how you prove who was behind the keyboard:
>I've done some illegal shit on my computer
>my name is 'user', and my username is 'userx'

Investigators will consider:
>Has 'userx' logged into 'user's facebook account?
>Did the same 'userx' log into 'userx' account on his operating system, with his password?
>Was it done around the same time as the illegal activity?
>Was it done in the same established pattern of use as the illegal activity? (i.e., if 'userx' has consistently been inactive between 8am and 5pm, and consistently active between 6pm and 10pm, was the illegal activity done in these timeframes? or during inactive timeframes?)
>Did 'userx' edit 'user's resume file?
>Did 'userx' access 'user's email with his password?
>Did 'userx' pay user's bills online?
>Did 'userx' log into 'user's bank account?
>Did 'userx' research topics that are of an interest to 'user'?
>Did 'userx' log into 'user's university account, or submit assignments with 'userx's email account to 'user's lecturers?
>Did 'userx' copy content onto any removeable devices that 'user' used at work, or school?
>Did 'user' plug his phone the computer whilst 'userx' was logged in?
>Did 'user' have files that are relevant, useful, and personal to him on 'userx's account?
>Did 'userx' log into a wireless router which is owned by, registered to, and has the password set by 'user'?

You get the point. It all establishes accountability and ownership. And anyway, I can cite a few cases where this concept was entirely ignored by prosecutors, and the defendant (who was innocent) was found guilty and put in jail for 7 years as a pedophile. He killed himself not long after.

Ask Dred Pirate Roberts

I cant tell if this is bait, the worst joke ever made in existance, way over my head, or if you havnt been on this board for more than 5 minutes in your life

>You should just be able to toss it in a a lake somewhere the cops won't find it.
Just remember to leave your phone at home.

booby trapping a hdd with thermite is a federal crime probably worse than having a hdd full of incriminating evidence. these laws are to protect first responders.

Well if they find only dummy data on your drives they can search it all they want. The evidence on your hard drive has been removed...

Just drill it open and fill it with sand, put it under water, smash it to the ground, put the disk in front of the strongest magnet you can find, use a nailgun at the remains and then throw it into fire.

im guessing it overwrites all data and its all complete gibberish with none of the erased files

You could always download some flavor of linux, run it from the install media, and run shred on it. Or dban.

Delete system 32

Yep

He's right you known