There seems to be only one global sport and that's football

There seems to be only one global sport and that's football.

If there is ever going to be a 2nd one it's going to be rugby.

How do we get more countries into rugby?

rugby (union) is fucking boring as shit
collapsing scrums over and over
game winner frequently decided by penalties (which happen what, 4-8 times a match?)
it's just not a good sport

league is much better

get outta here monkey

league is fucking gay with no rucks and gay ass possession rules and stupid lil kicks and only dumb aussies or kiwis play it. UNION is a goddamn WAR with much more excitement than ur semen slurping sport so shut up

>he watches northern hemisphere rugby

>If there is ever going to be a 2nd one it's going to be rugby.
but that's wrong

it will probably be nothing but if there is it would be basketball.
even baseball is bigger than rugby

Hugby is gay. You basically have your head up another guys ass 75% of the game

Correct.

rucks are boring to watch though

Rucks are the most important part of Rugby Union. I'd rather them than "oh, you tackled us 5 times, we'll kick the ball to you now"

Is rugby really that popular worldwide? Which countries play it other than the UK, Australia, France, and South Africa? Cricket or basketball seem much better candidates for "global second sport".

Google Rugby world cup

>Argentina, Australia, Canada, England, Fiji, France, Georgia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Namibia, New Zealand, Romania, Samoa, Scotland, South Africa, Tonga, USA, Uruguay, Wales.

And those are the ones that qualified. But yeah, it still has to increase a proper fan base, but it certainly is entertaining.

There are sports that involve many more countries worldwide, like Historical Medieval battle world championship, called Battle of The Nations, teams from up to 25 different nations fight in full armour using historical weapons like battle hammers, swords, all blunt and no armour piercing weapons for obvious reasons.

But they fail to attract millions. But sure as fuck they are worth a watch sometime, although I can get why it will not become too popular aside from a faithful niche

why would it be rugby rather than basketball, cricket or baseball?

we dont, the rules of rugby are too opaque and even the refs dont know wtf is going on in mauls and scrums

all in on football, it cant be stopped now

Basketball has more global appeal. Most of the world can t name a single rugby player. But everyone knows Jordan, Kobe, LeBron

A maul is like a game of bulldogs, first team to fall, loses either the ball or their ground. It's a ruck with the ball at hand and involves more than 3 players.

A scrum is a maul where the ball is reintroduced to play by the scrum half and then it looks like a big rook where the ball goes to whichever scrum half gets it first. Not hard to follow.

Everyone knows Jordan because of Space Jam

No one here knows the others

Basketball is popular in Spain and Portugal but the rest of Europe doesn't give a shit. Those names are just names to me, I couldn't tell you who they play for or what they do.

and btw OP, the other universally popular sport is golf

Spain, Greece, Serbia, France, Lithuania and Russia are all big on basketball.
Portugal? lolno you're clueless

No, that's just because we're all living in amerika, amerika, ist wunderbar.

But I googled and apparently Basketball is not that far behind, unfortunately you muricans tend to value sports and everything by the amount of money it can generate, and not the actual love for the game so all the "top rankings of world sports" are bullshit when considering money as a a category.

Shit you are from Portugal... Well if you know those names you are a murican in disguise

Its too white of a sport to ever surpass futbol :^)

Baket it's bigger than Rugby here too

>Baket it's bigger than Rugby here too
Doesn't surprise me with the state of the Italian team lad.

This. Union is so boring with nothing but penalties. League is fast and exciting

yeah i know it's a direct consequence. I think we won against someone relevant recently tho

>watching olympic womens rugby this past summer while eating lunch
>england always needs 3 players to tackle a single stronk new Zealand player

I wouldn't mind if it was on more often, that was funny as hell to watch

A Rugby Team would have survived that crash resulting in the final death count being less than 7 1

>responds to portuguese person with murrka meme spouting

you guys discredit yourselves pretty quickly.

Why did you leave out eastern europe when discussing global appeal? basketball also dwarfs rugby in China and the Philippines, which have massive populations. Why would you overlook those?

You clowns rail on "american exceptionalism" all day and love accusing other people of living in a bubble, but brits and kiwis always way overestimate the global popularity of rugby and cricket. WEIRD.

Who /navy blue/ here ?

>Britcucks constantly obsessing over the current state of world

Jesus get over it. America will never "footy"

>How do we get more countries into rugby?

How do you want that? expanding it in the real way using homemade players like in Argentina? or the plastic cuck way using other countries' players like the british islands teams?

lol nope,most of central europe watches Basketball like Euroleague,Eurocup and each have their domestic leagues.It's not our fault you're shit at yet another sport.

I thought basketball and baseball had more representation.

>If there is ever going to be a 2nd one it's going to be rugby.

Cricket is the 2nd most played

Make another sport that has as much freedom, style and coolness as football. Rugby is just not cool - it's a bunch of men hugging each other and throwing the ball with hands into giant gates (literally impossible to miss). Rugby is unwatchable because there is zero skill to be displayed. Imagine if all footballers looked and played like Adebayo Akinfenwa.

2nd sport is Cricket.

It is.

You're wrong.

Then why do millions of you try and emulate our countries sport?

you don't need to point that out, we all know how southamericans rugbiers manage to survive plane crashs

it needs to be popular in a western country to be considered worldwide, and most of the countries that play it and watch it aren't

Cricket is more popular than rugby

England Ireland Scotland Wales Australia and New Zealand are all western, as are all the British Caribbean islands

Basketball is definitely 2nd. 3rd is between baseball and cricket, rugby is 5th.

pakis don't count as people, you know that right?

Cricket is comfortably 2nd

Doesn't it have a decent following in southeastern Europe? There are a bunch of NBA players from the Balkans.

Those players are pretty popular though. Kobe gets great receptions in China and Italy, Spain has a legitimate basketball league that consistently sends players to the NBA (mostly from Real and Barca of course, some things never change), it's no surprise that Portuguese guy could name at least one or two basketball players.

Actually even (ice) hockey is probably bigger than rugby

2bf you actually do have a point despite memeing, one of the three players who survived is incredibly built and the Colombian doctor said it helped him immensely.

You're retarded

Do Tunisians and Algerians?

I think cricket might be second by sheer numbers. It's the number one sport in India and Pakistan, and those two countries alone have a combined population of like 1.5 billion.

they can all die in a pit of fire as far as I'm concerned

He's right. The cricket World Cup had an excess of 1 billion viewers for a single game, the Boxing Day test in Australia is one of the highest attended sporting fixtures in the world and there are more fans and countries playing the sport globally than any other sport except soccer.
It's not even a competition.

It's easily cricket.

#1 in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Australia, and South Africa
#2 in the UK

That's like 2 billion people right there

>basketball
#1 in the Philippines, Lithuania
#2 in China, Argentina, Spain, Italy (I think), and most of the Balkans

>baseball
#1 in Japan, Taiwan, Venezuela, Cuba, Panama, and the Dominican Republic
#2 in the US, South Korea, and Mexico

That doesn't really matter though, it's by no means a global sport. It's big in India and pakistan, 99% of whom can't even afford a cricket bat, Australia, and is a distant 2nd or 3rd sport in a few other commonwealth countries.

Basketball might not be the main sport almost anywhere, but it has a significant presence all over the world, including a fairly large presence in USA, China, much of Europe

>almost all viewers from one country
Those numbers are fudged as fuck also, no way anywhere near 1 billion Indians had access and/or time to watch
And yes those countries include the great Anguilla, st Thomas, st Vincent and the Grenadines, etc.

Then there's the fact that Cricket players (and rugby) dont make jack shit, if it were really popular the sport and players would have more earning power

Cricket has over a billion viewers, is played in 4 continents and has 3 forms

Qualifications doesn't mean shit.

The kabbadi World Cup had something like 18 countries in it, but it isn't even popular in the Indian subcontinent, let alone the others

Literally everything you've posted is factually incorrect

>britbongs think that just because the few white people in some of their former colonies play their sports it makes these sports globally relevant

>Basketball might not be the main sport almost anywhere, but it has a significant presence all over the world, including a fairly large presence in USA, China, much of Europe

Cricket has a large presence in much of South Asia, Southeast Asia, and southern Africa. Any one of those regions has more people than Europe or the USA.

>britbongs call us out for no one else playing our sports
>brag about how Grenada, Sri Lanka, and Tonga play their sports

Yeah the West Indies and Asian sides are filled with whites aren't they mate

The only cricket countries that fits that description are Namibia and formerly Argentina. Even South Africa and Zimbabwe expanded the sport to the African population.

India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh play their sports, those are some of the most populous countries in the world.

Sri Lanka has a population of 20 million m8

>all these shitty qualifiers and goalpost changes to try and justify your opinion

Just accept that cricket has a bigger global presence than any American sport, the origins of it doesn't matter, it's a simple fact

Nah just the subcontinent, in southern Africa it's just played by the tiny fraction of whites that live there, and even then it's split interest with rugby and soccer

And so do countries in Malaysia, Arabia, Africa, South East Asia, Oceania and the British Isles, which is more than can be said of any American sport or rugby.

The fact that we're even having this discussion is honestly laughable. There isn't a single metric by which cricket isn't the second largest sport in the world

No it isn't. The Zimbabwean fan base is almost entirely black since there's next to no whites left in the country. Black South Africans don't watch rugby but do follow cricket and Tanzania and Rwanda are entirely black.

As I said, Namibia is the only African country that fits that description. Literally kys

>revenue

Boxing. It's big on every continent. Less popular overall than the other sports mentioned ITT, but a much better global spread

Arguable

Lol ofc everyone in Yurop follows basketball,even countries as France or Germany,whose leagues were pretty shit now have some really strong teams.The only country that's not participating is the UK and the scandinavian ones.

If Britbongs and ANZACs would stop playing pakipaddle, then then #2 sport could be baseball and we could finally have a global sport for rich countries only.

Fuck off Stavros Dimitriopolopolopolopolopolopololous

c'mon man, every fucking country in the world outside of african can field a baseball team also, just because a few people in the country play it doesn't mean it's a relevant sport there

cricket is relevant in
the indian subcontinent, barely can be considered people
australia
the 5% white populations in south africa and kenya
a few miniscule islands in the caribbean, total population maybe 5 million
england, barely

ok, sure, that's 4 continents, but in europe it's just england, australia is it's own continent, and in america it's a few tiny islands

do you really think cricket is still big in zimbabwe?

honestly senpaitachi nothing can convince me that cricket is bigger than basketball, not even population since China, Phillippines and USA like basketball.

I can see argumanets for how it's bigger than baseball. But baseball has it's arguments also, starting with revenue of course. But baseball is the top or at least a solid 2nd place sport in several wealthy, and culturally distinct, ie not all former colonies, nations. USA, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan. And not wealthy but Cuba, DR, Venezuela, Mexico.

no it is not

also this but I figured we were talking team sports here

in any case, you guys way overestimate the popularity of rugby and cricket while undermining our sports saying only we play them, the only one that's true about is our football. Our other sports are just as global as cricket and rugby by pretty much any measure.

The English and Australians don't even put a dent in cricket's numbers

It literally is a relevant sport in those countries you dumb fuck. I am literally from Zimbabwe and know more about this than you do. Cricket is the second largest sport in Zimbabwe and almost entirely followed by the black population now. Two thirds of the team are black too. Cricket in South Africa is arguably the largest sport there since its the most popular with the Asian population and the second most popular with the black and white populations, who don't follow the other's sports otherwise. It literally is a major sport in African countries and followed by millions of black Africans.

It's not one human, one vote. Your worth as a human is measured by how much GDP the average citizen of your country generates. So an Indian is worth like 1/20th of an American, etc

no, cricket is hardly a blip on the radar in south africa compared to soccer. I don't know about zimbabwe, it's fucking zimbabwe anyway so it doesn't matter.

>Our other sports are just as global as cricket and rugby by pretty much any measure.
Viewers?
Number of participating countries?
Number of fans?
Revenue?
International fixture counts?

Reminder YOU could ONLY name revenue as a measure where baseball and basketball came close to cricket and that's naturally skewed to American sports because of the strength of the USD

kek

KEK

K-E-K

Soccer doesn't come close to cricket or rugby in South Africa

>I don't know about Zimbabwe
So don't comment on Zimbabwe like you do.

All you've done tonight is show a complete lack of knowledge on anything outside of your North American bubble. Do the world a favour and lobotomise yourself

its obviously only because mugabe is desperate to impress white people again

Americans would literally argue that handegg is more popular than divegrass if they were given the chance

I wish

Mugabe should do the world a favour and spend his trillions of Zimbabwe dollars on building a time machine so he could reinstate Rhodesia

>viewers
so a couple hundred million indians (if you believe the 1 billion you are pants on head retarded) watch cricket every once in a while, 6M people watch baseball every single day for MLB alone, combine it with the 20 minor leagues, the japanese, korean, mexican, venezuelan etc leagues, that's a lot of viewers

>number of participating countries
absolutely, basketball is by far above cricket and rugby, baseball is on par unless you want to count the 20 tiny west indies countries separately. If you do that you might as well include every country that can field a baseball or cricket team, and any can do both even if they don't care

>number of fans
cricket might have more fans than baseball, but not more than basketball. rugby has fewer fans than both. Though can you really call Indians fans if they can't watch or support their teams because they have no money?

>revenue
why even mention this one? The revenue of basketball and baseball is far higher than cricket or rugby, not even in the same ballpark

>international fixture counts
ok, baseball loses here, not sure how this really matters for popularity though

alright I guess you got me, I'm hardly considering curries as people so I shouldn't be considering niggers either. But if you include niggers, which are 90% of south africa, soccer is king.
I don't care if you lived there personally, if you did you lived in a white community where they like rugby and cricket.

Based

Big strong league >>> poonion

All wrong

>you have to buy things to support a sports team

Just as I'd expect from an American

Better question is, how do we get more countries into American Football? It's better than that divegrass shit.

>spend his trillions of Zimbabwe dollars on building a time machine

Do you really think a time machine would cost less than a packet of crisps?

Love union but the penalties do my head in, too many dropshots
BTW Aussie rules is a great sport

Making a joke m8

>so a couple hundred million indians (if you believe the 1 billion you are pants on head retarded)

Why? India alone has more than a billion people, and there's no serious competition against cricket in their country. Add the southern Africans, the Pakistanis, the Bangladeshis (Bengalis?), the Brits, the Sri Lankans, the Indonesians, the Malaysians....it's easy to believe that 1 billion could be watching.

Cycling is the second here

>c'mon man, every fucking country in the world outside of african can field a baseball team

Are you retarded? Do you think India, Russia, or Turkey could put together a baseball team?

>honestly senpaitachi nothing can convince me that cricket is bigger than basketball, not even population since China, Phillippines and USA like basketball.

Basketball isn't the number one sport in the US or the Philippines, though. Cricket is easily the number one sport in South Asia. And India has nearly as many people as China.

>rugby
>becoming popular
White man's sport. You've got more chance of rowing taking off.

Sports for the ethnics like basketball and cricket have far more chance of being successful.

>rugby
>white

>being this retarded

it was pure luck
a girl survived

some parts of the plane were less affected, but most of it was shattered

In Europe, at least, it seems like rugby is a white sport while blacks prefer soccer. Just look at the French and English NTs for each sport.