Sup Forums, it's my birthday coming up and I get to upgrade my GPU. However...

Sup Forums, it's my birthday coming up and I get to upgrade my GPU. However, I have a Pentium G4400 right now so i'm worried about bottlenecking and limitations.

I can get a:
GTX 1050
GTX 1050 TI
or even a GTX 980 TI (used from a friend)

I'm currently using a GTX 480 if that helps

get the 980

The pentium may bottleneck the 980ti in a few games but I'd go for it if it's in good condition and he hasn't abused the hell out of it by overclocking. Otherwise get the 1050 SC. The 1050 ti is a waste of cash, at that price point you might as well get the RX 470.

upgrade processor first idiot

Honestly the highest spec games I play are Rainbow Six and GTA 5/GTA Online, unless you count games with HD mods

that Cpu will bottleneck all them(depending on game you play but 9 times outta 10 it will be the cpu and not gpu) but tbh if you can get a 980 ti then its a no brainer even if used.

get the gtx 1060, literally best bang for.your buck

Get the 980, you won't regret it. If you're getting it used from a friend maybe you can save money to upgrade the CPU.

980ti out right beats a 1060. not hating the 1060 is a amazing card able to max games all settings at 1080 and even game at 1440p if you wanan drop settings alittle but a 980 TI wins that battle.

Save up longer and get a new system. A little Pentium chip won't handle any modern game, and you'll severely handicap a new gpu with it, and waste your money.

while i know its another 60 bucks or so from your budget, it is great. i have it in my pc and ao far everything is great

true, but the 1060 is about 60 or so over his budget where the ti is about 100 to 150 more than the 1060 i believe.

nvm, saw that he can get the 980 ti from friend, he should jump on that.

you stupid? its a skylake chip it can play every new modern game? do you even research or just guess? not everyone wants to play games at 20000000+ FPS some people are fine games at 60fps and this chip can do that.

he never said a budget? he said 1050 1050 ti or 980 ti im guessing 980ti will be cheaper then a new one since he said hes getting from a friend

woops i did that too my bad ahaha should of read on

yea i assumed buget after looking at the 1050 he was looking at.

It's a fucking $50 dual core chip, with a tiny ass cache size.
The processor node size doesn't fucking matter in this case. It's not about getting a super high frame rate, it's about getting a playable and smooth framerate, and not bottlenecking your expensive gpu that you paid for, dumbass.

A game like GTA V would stutter like crazy if you tried to play it with any sort of detail cranked up with a G4400.

g4400 with a 960 plays gta 5 on high settings 70+fps. you were saying? people need to get out there head that low end cpu and gpu are trash and cant do anything now im not saying the g4400 is amazing but it will play all modern games if you are willing to lower settings in some situations if you wanna play everything ultra then yes get a i5(i7 is literally pointless and never needed for gaming a i5 is more then capable by this stage it depends on your gpu) but if your happy at low or medium then fuck it stick with the g4400 and save your money.

OP here again, thought I should clarify some shit:
I'm broke as FUCK so I can't really afford a new CPU rn, and the 980 just feels like a deal from heaven, since i'll be buying it for 100 USD.

My goal is to just play 60fps on high settings

yes a 980 TI is absolute overkill and you will bottle neck it like crazy but if hes got the choice between a budget 1080p card like the 1050 or a absolute monster of a gpu for the same price then you may aswell get the monster.

the 980 is a great steal at that price, normally they are 350 to 400 new. as long as there are no issues jump on it. worse case you can flip it for 150 or something online if it works.

get the 980 TI that thing is a absolute animal and will struggle at nothing a 1080p or even 1440p. 4k you might have to crank down alittle but since your cpu is a g4400 i doubt you are using a 4k monitor, playing eveything on high is a strech due to the cpu it will play a few at high but everything is abit of a strech with that you looking more at medium on most things

I have a plain ol' 1080p monitor, and I'm not planning to go over in high settings. It's also the MSI 6g Gaming variant of the 980 TI

just upgrade the cpu later

This! No reason to miss out on a great deal on a 980Ti, just because your CPU is somewhat lackluster, better to upgrade the CPU later on when you can afford it.

honestly dude get the 980TI for 100 bucks to be honest im alittle jealous thats such a steal for a card like that literally cheaper then a 1050 which is comparison can even hold it head up to a card like that. 980TI gives the 1070 a run for its money.

It's a good deal, just get it, and yeah upgrade the cpu to at least a quad core or something

anything lower Then a i5 6400 id say will bottle neck the 980 TI so when you upgrade go with atleast a i5 and that will be a solid pairing. (if you know what your doing or willing to learn to overclock then id say I5 6600k or 7600k only thing is you will then need another 30/40 bucks for a cooler where with a non k i5 they give you a stock one which i dont care for much but does do a decent job on keeping a non overclocked cpu cool)

.. thats not how cpus degrade you fucking mook. its not an engine that gets worse over time. cpu's have parity out of the fucking ass. the most a cpu will do before it completely dies is not hold a correct clock speed without the voltage being through the roof... its why intel/amd bin processors for difference segments in the first place.

you will likely not be bottlenecked in 90% of the games you play.

If you can wait for Vega I would, it should make nvidia competative

Dont get the 1050 ti.. spend $20 more for the rx 470

>1050

i hope you are fucking trolling or you must be 14 yrs old

whats wrong with a 1050?

>waiting on an amd product
>any generation past the 5870

yea...

this is it guys, this is the api/driver/architecture/etc. that will truely change the playing field for amd...

wait 6 months and get a 1070

>Pentium G4400
upgrade that cpu first then get the 980ti