Mfw last night's MLS game was better than any yuro league match I've seen in the last 3 years

>mfw last night's MLS game was better than any yuro league match I've seen in the last 3 years

MLS is fast approaching being a top 5 league in the world

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vUOVNf1Hs70
si.com/planet-futbol/2016/02/04/mls-cba-details-salaries-team-win-bonuses
youtube.com/watch?v=QPwLncJDDss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>MLS is fast approaching being a top 5 league in the world
This made me lel.

dumb cuckposter

Considering you've probably watched 2 European league matches in the last 3 years

The most expensive squad in MLS is worht 20 million euros. That's about the same as Hellas Verona in Serie B. If you think MLS is anywhere near top 5 leagues in the world then you're a fucking retard.

their defenses tho

bruh, its only 4th best in the western hemisphere

actually i suppose the Americas is a more accurate way to say that, but you get the idea

as far as entertaining? yes theres almost always
2-3 goals
as far as skill? fuck no probably not even top 10 on its best day

MLS is just barely above Bundesliga 2.

Premier League £4.18bn
LaLiga £3.06bn
Serie A £2.34bn
1.Bundesliga £2.16bn
Ligue 1 £1.34bn
Championship £798.94m
Süper Lig £774.50m
Liga NOS £742.43m
Campeonato Brasileiro Série A £727.96m
Premier Liga £657.77m
Primera División £541.71m
Eredivisie £517.88m
Liga MX Clausura £486.12m
Jupiler Pro League £422.96m
MLS £273.59m
2.Bundesliga £269.26m
Super League £261.08m
Serie B £257.17m
LaLiga2 £246.59m

>the western hemisphere

>fast approaching

mls is top 5 already bud

Last night looked like Fifa 17. Horrible defenses all around. Get out with this post

Sure bud, look at the market value of MLS teams. The league is shite, period. It's valued on par with second divisions in Spain, Italy, France and Germany.

youtu.be/vUOVNf1Hs70

Silly game

MLS owners are billionares, why are they still using cheap and low priced players?

For them it's business. It's not like in Europe, where football is passion for the sport.

They just want to make money, so they have wage caps that ensures no team starts buying expensive players, that way the owners make big bucks from burgers who like football and don't give a shit about the general quality of the football they are watching.

Thats really annoying. Can we atleast get on par with Mexico? They are our federation rivals

>why are they still using cheap and low priced labor?
Because there's a salary cap
Because out-of-control spending killed the old NASL, the last time we tried to have a pro league

The lowest valued MLS team is worth more than almost all the teams in the allsvenskan tho

Nah MLS is still below Liga MX for now.

I even enjoy our meme league but its pretty much a fact we are low in the pecking order.

This league is gay then. Why would you cap it so low?

They should be striving to have the same quality of atleast Brazil and Mexico

>Nah MLS is still below Liga MX for now.

In a country this rich and powerful, thats an absolute JOKE.

There are various funny-money mechanisms for exceeding the salary cap (designated players, TAM, GAM). The salary cap is low because there are some shitty owners who don't give a damn and don't want to spend more. Also, even though the league is growing quickly in popularity and quality there's still not a lot of money in it.

Look up the old NASL for why we have a salary cap. Soccer is what, the 5th most popular sport here?

Why do European's think no salary-cap is a good thing? European soccer is the MLB on steroids when it comes to a few teams having infinitely more money than the rest which results in very little parity. Sure once a decade you have some meme team get a random win, but he big teams will instantly buy all their new good players. Outside of that its the same 3 or 4 teams winning every year.

I know there are obstacles in any kind of salary cap there because of multiple currencies/different leagues/etc, but I really like the idea of a high level soccer league with a salary-cap system. I personally would much rather watch a league where the talent is spread out and there is more general competition, than a league where 80% of the teams in the league will be irrelevant for eternity because they don't have outrageous spending power.

Sadly, I doubt any top player will ever want to play in a salary-capped league, and the MLS won't ever get any amazing players until we buy into the sport more as a country, which isn't happening for at least a few decades. Even if it does happen, our good players will just go to the European money.

>muh fireworks
>half empty stadium
>shit quality football

Yeah that's MLS for ya

Salary cap only works when there's no competing league. NBA, NFL etc are clearly the best and wealthiest leagues of their sport in the world so they can get away with that shit since they have a virtual monopoly.

But imagine if the EPL created a salary cap, many of their best players would just fuck off to Italy or Spain to get paid and EPL would objectively lose quality.

i would be cool to see progression over time though, %s. bet mls is climbing fast.

>half empty stadium
what is people arriving after the pregame bullshit

>finland

MLS best players fuck off to mexico and europe all the time because of the cap

>that flag
>that opinion

What is this? Total salary?

Heres the numbers. MLS cant really grow until their CBA expires

si.com/planet-futbol/2016/02/04/mls-cba-details-salaries-team-win-bonuses

From extremely low levels. MLS is shite, just barely above Allsvenskan in quality.

Makes sense. If your league already is shit, installing the cap is literally the worst thing you could do.

Frankly our teams could probably easily outspend European teams if there was any soccer interest in this country, but people just don't give a damn and I'm fine with that.

Yeah I know. There are far too many things in place now that would prevent a salary cap in any league there.

What do you think the reaction would be to the emergence of some all powerful association, controlling all club and international play, creating a salary cap that's more or less consistent across currencies and leagues?

If soccer was the #1 sport here in terms of popularity and culture, I firmly believe that within a decade, no other league on earth would compete or even come close. Imagine Jerry Jones owning a team playing in the new Cowboys stadium on primetime television, or the mega-companies like WalMart, Apple, Google, Mircrosoft, Koch, etc all sponsoring and sending teams mega-money. A top salary could be in the hundreds of millions.

Would be amazing.

Post highlights.

See

>soccer in Europe is not about money

All the top clubs are losing money every year

How is Manchester United the most profitable sports team in the world then?

Why do you think parity is good

By buying players like pogba for world record fees

>not available in my country
>two canadian teams

That is why Europe has the Champions League, where all the big teams can compete among themselves, but as histroy has shown many teams stacked with major talent haven't succeeded there.

All their profit goes towards paying off their massive debt just like all the other top clubs

The mlels isn't even a top 5 sports league in the US. It's even more irrelevant in the world of international divegrass.

What is the 5th? College sports and motor race don't count.

>the only time Toronto beats Montreal is in a divegrass game

This semen slurping "sport" ain't for me

Being the most profitable sports club (excluding closed systems like the NFL) is like being the smartest kid in retard school.

Even irrelevant companies you've never heard of are more profitable.

>Champions League
Filled with minnows like Steaua Bucharest and HJK Helsinki that wouldn't even cut it in MLS

It does count. College football is the 3rd biggest after NFL and MLB.

>College handegg
>Bigger than the NBA

european football audience wouldn't watch an american league

By far.

The MLS will be judged by how the US does in international competition, if Arena comes in with a bunch of good MLS call ups and the US turns around and does well in World Cup qualifying and the World Cup then the MLS will be out as a world class league.

Also the MLS needs to shed its stereotype as a Euro retirement league.

>some magazine popularity poll
>not ranking by revenue

But how old is that poll?

Also:
>Basketball 6%
>US Black population: 15%
I have my doubts on that number, basketball and American black culture are intertwined far too much for that number to be that low.

Hardly. EPL is still one the world's best leagues even though the English national team is shit.

Really there's only two reasons for why MLS is garbage:

>the pay is shit
>Americans don't care for soccer

And those two things are interconnected.

>implying blacks especially in the South and the Midwest aren't college football fanatics

Revenue would be misleading since the NBA is popular worldwide, but within the US people care about college sports more.

It's not supposed to be random and all over the place. You're supposed to seriously fight the fight if you want to make it to the top, either via sudden and heavy investment like City and to some degree Chelsea, or player development combined with increasing investment as you climb the ladder like Southampton has done and West Ham did until they suddenly turned to shit again for some reason.

It's Still 9%

>Implying any self respecting black person would ever prefer seeing black men working as slaves

Most people I know who prefer college ball to the NBA are white.

>get shit on by mediocre mexican teams all the time in Concachampions
>top 5 league in the world

Where do you live? On the coast right?

Because you've only watched the game since 2014 and don't know what a competent defense looks like

In this country, soccer is still primarily a sport for a) girls and b) boys who aren't good enough to make the football, baseball, or basketball teams. MLS will never succeed unless American sports culture itself changes.

And inb4 people tell us how the influx of Mexicans will turn America into a soccer country, if anything the opposite is happening, Mexicans are mostly into football and baseball.

The MLS season is fucked up because they don't want to compete as much with football. So most teams are out of form by the time the knockout stages begin.

When you have a March-November schedule you kind of fuck yourself over for international competition in February and March when the knockout

Why does that even matter? Do midwesterners and southerners like slavery?

With all those bad reps regarding long term injuries related to handegg, soccer will be even better in term of youth participation.

Then they should change their schedule like the rest of the world instead of having their snowflake schedule and bitching about it when they can't compete against other leagues.

What slavery faggot? It's not like someone is forcing them to play. In Ohio the Buckeyes are by far the #1 team among both whites and blacks even though the Cavs are the defending NBA champions and Lebron is playing there.

Bucharest is actually decent and around MLS level of skill/player ability

Go home OP, you're embarrassing our country

Substitute tube for pak. It's a trick for any youtube video like that.

This fucking newfag watches his fifth football match ever and he's already off calling MLS future "world class" and comparing it to euro leagues lmao kys OP

because the value of a sports club isn't in the fact that it's making money, it's a secure asset that with good management has basically 0 ability to lose money, and all that money your pumping in to it is just adding value onto the club. plus there's loads of shady advertising and corporate things clubs do to earn profit off books, but that's something else entirely that happens in nearly every big business. the example is comparing it with say, a bank. a bank can make obscene profits if run correctly, however, things completely outside of the managements control could make the entire company valueness overnight, which is why it's a risk

You can get good games in any league. My shitty Conference South team always have thrilling games with loads of goals.

But really, what you're seeing isn't as good. Its like going to your local dive bar and watching a band do a really good set and walking out saying they're better than the Rolling Stones.

Works. Noice

college football is a religion throughout the midwest and the south. you probably live on one of the coasts like me, where basketball is popular. but the nba saw a drop in ratings after jordan's retirement and they've only been coming back recently.

Yall have autism

MLS ain't great, but its good enough for what the sport is in this country.

If MLS encouraged more front flip throw-ins, would it become more successful?

Things change rapidly in the span of decades. We will be minnows for a while but as mls slowly develops the infrastructure to create better talent (which is already happening to a certain extent), then the league will grow in interest.

Baseball used to be the number 1 sport 70 years back and then american football eclipsed it within 30 years.

>yall

?

Relax its just a European acting superior to Americans

>MLeLS
>Top 5

Top Kek. The MLS would Struggle in Liga Adelante in Asspain, hell its possible they could struggle against Ascenso MX.

>Handegg
>Luckswing
>College Handegg
>Turnleft and Turnleft: Open Wheel Edition

Wait, how the fuck is

>Apehoop and College Apehoop

below

>Turnleft and Turnleft: Open Wheel Edition?

>USATODAY

That explains why.

Guess they don't call you canucks for nothing.

You forgot the third option to make it to the top, using Meme Magic like Leicester to win the Cheeky PL Title.

>Filled with minnows like Steaua Bucharest and HJK Helsinki that wouldn't even cut it in MLS

Oh you would be surprised...

I was there, was a great game.

It's weird seeing how soccer fans act in a north american arena. Like the vibe is totally different to a Toronto basketball or hockey game.

The crowd yelling:
"CHEL
SEA
RE
JECT"

Everytime Drogba even touched the ball was funny.

I've said this several times, but this is the response I get.

Me
>We should Change the Schedule to match the rest of the fucking world, which includes a League format and offing that stupid playoff system and make it one large table.

Response
>We can't do a league because of how large our country is and would mean 3-4 more games a season as compared to now
>Snow

The only excuse I buy is the Handegg one. Handegg happens from September to the Start of February.

It would be harder to get people to watch Soccer if Kapernick is kneeling for the anthem and making headlines.

youtube.com/watch?v=QPwLncJDDss
>lame
hes not a reject just past his prime for that level of play. Hes actually did some incredible things for Chelshit. Mlels fans can be so cringe its not even funny anymore.

>top 5 leagues
>all teams combined have like $150m to spend every year

Lmao

LMAAAAAAAAOOOOOOO

>Drogba
>Chelsea reject

Terrible banter

people ac as if the league, and the sport as a whole, is not growing rapidly in northamerica. just compare the teams, the stadia and the visibility of the league ten years ago. football has arrived and it's here to stay. get used to it.

all those empty seats

>Like the vibe is totally different to a Toronto basketball or hockey game.
Inside the Air Canada Centre, it is controlled environment done by stadium speakers. In regular season games, they rarely start even a simplest chant like "DEFENSE!" and only do when the speakers tell them to. Nobody there really want to jump and shout neither.

Things may have changed a bit for Raptors at least but it won't get the same or better environment as TFC where fans i.e. supporters control it.

Kinda sad that supporters are pretty only at the south side nowadays but they still have done incredible job waking sitting crowds up.

>mid-week game
>crowds didn't give a shit about pre-game events
>hot coffee lines were too long

>MLS is fast approaching being a top 5 league in the world
Wew, lad. It was certainly a fun, entertaining game, but you're being foolish. Don't let beautiful stadia and raucous (patrician) crowds lead you to believe that this is the best the sport has to offer.

Implying the MLS top 4 will beat Colombia's top 4. They can barely win a goddamn CONCACAF CL.