Why is boxing dead in the United States? Why has it been replaced with weak substitutes such as UFC?

Why is boxing dead in the United States? Why has it been replaced with weak substitutes such as UFC?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sc6Sr4JIV3M&t=42s
youtube.com/watch?v=PVt36wTRoDc
youtube.com/watch?v=FFrvfJ-0lag
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mayweather bored the fuck out of us from it.

It's ok, you can see UFC speeding headfirst down the same route boxing did, but at a much more rapid rate.

Bubble bubble pop pop

No more heavyweights. Too many boxing federations. Blacks that were in boxing moved into football and basketball like the rest of their kin.

They actually fight in the UFC.

Because white americans get dominated by blacks and Hispanics

UFC reminds me of the gladiators while Rome burnt desu

UNIONIZE NOW!

Because nobody wants to watch a hug/clinchfest

Too many divisions means a boxer can just switch weightclass instead of fighting someone he'd lose to.
Play Mayweather is utter cancer, cherrypicking his fights when he wants to suit his bank rather than the sport.

Because you can fit more ads in UFC shows.

It's very dangerous and very few men have balls and the discipline required nowadays

>this meme again

Mayweather is about the worst possible example for this. He fought literally everyone there was to fight in a weight division far above his natural weight. He stalled for Pac sure, but Pac was still younger than him and that was more to build hype than because he thought he couldn't win.

There are dozens of better examples you can use than Mayweather for this.

the UFC is more entertaining. Boxing has pretty much been played out. There's nothing new to see, just guys rehashing old techniques over and over. The UFC is still new enough that people are constantly innovating and the most effective fighting styles are constantly evolving.

Boxing is aesthically more pleasing to watch

There are 3 main points I think

>1. No all powerful organisation like the UFC

The UFC is the pinnacle, there is literally one belt worth having and to get it you have to fight the best. Boxing has 4 belts and more weight divisions which means a massive dilution in quality. Unfortunately the money is still big enough in boxing (in fact for the fighters themselves way higher) that they feel no need to change.

>2. Boxing's two big channels in the US are Showtime and HBO, shit that nobody actually owns

How are they supposed to advertise their shit when nobody except boxing fans subscribe to their channels? In the UK we have Sky to push fights.

>3. The UFC attracted a completely new and different audience

Most fans of boxing are older, and working class. It has always appealed to that section of society so the promotional methods go in line with this, mostly being old-media based. UFC has an almost totally different audience, they used social media, memes and all the rest of it to make fans of under 30 dudes who think it's cool and epic and fast paced and BRUTAL while boxing is slow and for old men.

Mayweather and Clinchko made it boring for people. Now MMA is what's in.

Why are you so bitter about MMA being better and more legit then boxing?

Too many brain injuries gave it a bad reputation

Thought I gave a pretty even handed explanation actually, there are elements of the way UFC is set up I'm very jealous of. I still prefer watching the sport of boxing, and in the UK boxing is still far far bigger, but that doesn't make all the politics a cancer on the sport. UFC manages to bypass all that.

>fans of under 30 dudes who think it's cool and epic and fast paced and BRUTAL while boxing is slow and for old men.
this is spot on. i try to follow boxing on social media. there are articles with in depth analysis, interviews, discussions but no ''memes'', no channel that caters to modern media consumers. That's not what people today want.
Also, boxing's missing a villain and/or a charismatic opponent, it misses an Ali or a Tyson. Floyd's almost retarded and Klitschkos have a charisma of a sock.

too many divisions with too many belts, with people not chasing the best fights possible just the most lucrative.
theoretically, boxing should be way more entertaining than mma but for some reason more people are interested in bum swinging than finesse and technical craft.

also, clinching is never penalized.

Greed, politics, too many belts even boxers with belts who are not even champions,too easy for boxers to avoid competive fights, bad promotion by HBO, Awful American commentators they even have a woman commentating on fights now, the best boxers with bad English so can't promote boxers like GGG, no White American champions, boring Black champions that White America has no interest in. The UK gets it right with promoting Boxing and UFC is still tiny in comparison so it's not that it's a better product it's just MMA fits the America psyche UFC is boxing and WWE mixed together UFC has always copied both with regards to it's promotion.

Tommy Morrison's son is on an unstoppable rise, when he reaches top and chins someone like Wilder people may stop watching the piss-poor sport of MMA and watch boxing again.

I think it's a combination of pro boxing's general organisational chaos (four "world champions" per division, of which there are 17; promotional companies and TV networks refusing to work with each other, etc.), and the USA losing its position as the undisputed #1 boxing nation as Europe and Asia rapidly catch up. E.g. In previous eras, someone like Errol Spence probably would have won gold in the Olympics and launched himself into stardom, but instead he got schooled by a Russian in the quarter-finals. Same with Shakur Stevenson this year

Americans love winning, drama and violence, and at the moment there is nobody providing all three for them in boxing at the highest level because international competition is much stiffer now

if Lomachenko was from California and called Chad he'd single handedly save boxing

too bad he's a slav so nobody gives a shit

Not at all, Loma's a great boxer but he's not Box Office. If AJ was american and as good as Hearn claims he is then he'd save boxing.

It would be the same if Conor McGregor was Black there would be very little interest worldwide in him.

Yeah because Mayweather, Tyson and Ali were completely ignored due to their skin colour

I was a massive boxing fan in the 90s and 00s with a ton of great fights, it's a shame this was the last truly great era. My interest has been rekindled though thanks to the relatively strong British scene with fights like Froch vs Groves.

ADD generation

Boxing was no better back then, it was just on regular TV so regular people could actually follow it

The UK has a much deeper pool of talent right now than it ever has since I've been alive

Andre Ward, Crawford, Spence Jnr all ignored, in UFC Woodly gets booed the same as Rampage got booed, If Conor was Black trust me he would have no where near the fame he has.

>Andre Ward
Boring style AND personality

>Crawford
Boring personality

>Spence Jnr
Yet to prove he's a top fighter

Spence got something like 4m viewers for his last fight so he has potential

If race is the determining factor then how come nice cleancut white guys like Lomachenko and Wlad Klitschko aren't stars. Nationality is a much bigger factor. McGregor is lucky he's Irish and not Ukrainian or Kazakh

This. Boxing is expensive to watch being on premium cable, and also corrupt as fuck. Also, there hasn't been a true heavy-weight American champion in 30 years.

language is the main reason and being eastern european is a major factor, America still views eastern europe with hostility the old enemy attitude .

No. They just don't care about boxing. Liberals love MMA, yet boxing is barbaric and sexist. Go fucking figure.

Well Gutknecht is still in a coma at the moment and Blackwell was just hospitalised again. Plus two lesser known boxers actually died in the UK this year. And Prichard Colon is still in a coma in the USA and Abdusalamov had his life ruined

Boxing is a lot more dangerous than UFC

This really, adding in the too many weight divisions thing.

OK mate

More hugging than boxing and that's saying something

Also there's no built in ethnic fanbase in America for them, like Asians for Pacquiao and Mexicans for Canelo

Wlad and Loma both have boring as fuck styles lad, good as they are. No casuals want to see clever boxing technique for 12 rounds.

Like one of the first posts said, you can see UFC easily heading down toward the same path.

1. Exciting fights = more money means more safe fighters. like 90% of the last UFC card went to decision.

2. Good fights = massive overexpansion means you can ignore three cards in a row (like I did the last 2 weeks) and miss absolutely nothing important.

3. UFC being a monopoly that owns everything = they used to put people in big fights no matter what, but now they are in the business of a. pushing stars b. not matching them tough

loma is not boring lad, he's a slav Roy Jones Jnr or Nazeem hamad

Lomachenko got one of the KOs of this year and would have stopped Walters if he hadn't pussied out

He will be by the time he fights anyone people care about. He's already talking about moving up to lightweight, clearly wants a fast track to welterweight by which point there's no way he can manage to do that much damage.

> He's already talking about moving up to lightweight, clearly wants a fast track to welterweight
Which means he wants to test himself, no easy fights for Loma. Boxing needs more of this no fear for the glory attitude.

>Andre Ward
robbed kovalev. It's not racial, people just see wassup. Boxing is nothing more than big business politics.

Tyson Fury got stripped over an insult about gays. Remember this.

b& me again

Anderson Silva, Royce Gracie, Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor, Jon Jones... MMA is pretty damn well rounded by sex, ethniticity, nationality, etc.

Woodley got booed because he won against Lawler and turned into a delusional Mayweather wannabe at the presser after

>Rampage got booed
um

>actually fight

Mods, this is a boxing thread and i'm just showing examples in mma. pls no ban

maybe boxers need to start their own line of retarded memes like #conorbless or /shaubposting/

yeah, because he wouldn't have what makes mcgregor a star; witty irish banter. if absolutely all else was equal besides the colour of his skin, he would still be as famous as he is now.

>He fought literally everyone there was to fight in a weight division far above his natural weight

Casuals disgust me.

This is a good point. Andrew Golota and Tomasz Adamek were both pretty popular in Chicago back in the day due to the huge Polish population there. Fonfara fights in Chicago too, I think. Still a lot of untapped potential among local ethnic fanbases in the States.

UFC has less rounds, and the fighters are such shit they gas out after half of those rounds, making it easy for them to beat one another.

Also, they hype the fuck out of the fighters, claiming they're extremely dangerous, when in reality they're just swinging their arms around hoping a hit lands.

Fuck you faggot

Too many meme leagues so nobody knows who is the GOAT.

People got freaked out after seeing Muhamed Ali box himself retarded

UFC is not pleasant or entertaining at all, it's like watching two complete retards without any technique.

Look at any fight you want, few MMA fighters look skilled in their fighting styles in the same way Boxers are.

You can't compare
to something like
youtube.com/watch?v=sc6Sr4JIV3M&t=42s

Simple, why watch only punching when I can watch puniching, kicking, elbowing, kneeing, strangling, and joint locks?

This

>muh paul williams
>muh margarito

I really don't know who he ducked other than the blatant pac dodge.

No it isn't

Yeah, Floyd really took advantage of Pac's """fear of needles""" with those drug testing clauses.

>stage-managed careers with champs ducking top contenders
>alphabet soup sanctioning bodies
>corrupt scoring
>general revulsion amongst a lot of sports fans at widespread head trauma injuries

MMA would be fine if it wasn't for the Roganification of it's fanbase. Every fighter is a superhuman intellectual bloodthirsty murderer who has communed with God, a Buddhist monk, and nature itself to learn how to do a double leg takedown.

This is banta

the hyping up of mediocre athletes is incredible

certainly glad I'm not the only one.

Who are some mediocre hyped up athletes in mma?
Paige VanZant and Northcutt?

generally, all of them.

>weak substitute

Kek

Boxing IS the weak substitute

All of them. They're jack of all trades washouts who have multiple losses against each other because the talent level is much of a muchness.

Still the UFC has incredible marketing and have fully captured the "autists who have finally grown out of WWE" demographic

OFFICIAL COMBAT SPORTS POWER RANKINGS

1. BOX
2. WWE
9001. MMA

Spot on Spain lad

My favorite thing that the mmautists have come up with lately is that if you ever got a boxer into the ring with an mma guy then they'd get destroyed and they always cite toney vs couture.

but then you cite ray mercer KTFO tim sylvia and they cry about how that doesnt count because tim sylvia was bad at mma

imagine your sport being so dead you rely on kickboxing and mma shitposters to keep threads alive

Tim Sylvia was 300 pounds at the time and came in with his hands down

Yeah and he fucking lost to a boxer who was almost 50 years old

but toney was in his prime?

What did he mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=PVt36wTRoDc

It's because people in boxing duck each other.

In the UFC, you gotta fight the best to be the best. There's only one belt in each division. None of this WWE title shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=FFrvfJ-0lag

:O

heil
lmao pathetic

>lmao pathetic
glad you're finally coming around.

the state of ///boxing///

You're literally doing what I said you people do.

It's you people who live on the idea that a MMA fighter would obliterate a boxer in a cage, in a street fight, or even at a PTA meeting. Your constant need to prove yourselves are why your always targeting Mayweather with whatever flavor of the year fighter you've deluded yourself into believing is literally Maximus from Gladiator.

>ducked prime Pac
>ducked prime GGG