I am unsure where to post this thread, as I could have taken it to /trv/, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, or here...

I am unsure where to post this thread, as I could have taken it to /trv/, Sup Forums, Sup Forums, or here. I am currently watching pic related, Where to Invade Next. Years ago, I had the option of attending university in Canada. I wonder if I made a mistake in not going.

Of the film itself, it made me consider all the wonky things about being an American and living in America--for-profit prisons (this bothers me), the war on drugs (it's failed), the lgbtq movement (don't really care), black lives matter (kind of annoying, but I'm blase about it), the global war on terrorism (pretty scary), the surveillance society (consider me spooped) etc. In other words, there's something to annoy everyone, regardless of stripe--political affiliation, religious affiliation, race, socioeconomic standing, gender, sex, and so on.

I guess my question boils down to this. Is immigration a pipedream? In other words, does one exchange the bullshit of one's former country for another? I think this documentary panders in utopianism. Or am I off-kilter? Is living elsewhere really all that and a bag of chips?

In retrospect, I should probably take this to /trv/ or elsewhere, but seeing as it's a film, why not start here.

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

thewrap.com/where-to-invade-next-review-michael-moore-documentary/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Come to Switzerland.

Thank you. I wish.

I've heard immigrating there is rather difficult on par with say Singapore at least as an American. Although I have not looked very closely at Switzerland...other than properties in Verbier I can't currently afford.

I qualify for Irish citizenship. My grandmother was an Irish citizen. Otherwise, Canada turns me on. But why Switzerland? If I may ask...

Moving to Canada would have changed nothing for you. We are a willing member of the 5 Eyes and, time and again, we've proven willing to bend to what ever demands the USA has of us. In meme words we are a cuck nation.

>5 Eyes
so basically get the hell out of the Anglosphere? Huh that's too bad.

Which reminds me that one of my girlfriends got her doctorate at the University of Zurich...how bad did I screw up by not putting a ring on it?

french swiss are cunts

Mexico is truly the paradise now these days. Just avoid any major meme city ex: Tijuana, DF, Monterrey, Jalisco, Cancun and entire Guerrero state

How so? If so, that's too bad because the areas of Switzerland that fascinated me were like Valais, Econe, Verbier, etc. I have a friend who attends seminary in Econe.

Italian, German, French, and Romansh (?) are the four official languages. How many must one have a working knowledge of to live in Switzerland? Or is it all geographic? I.e. languages are Canton specific...

I reckon if you could make some top notch bantz, and we can make some room, you'd have a top time in Australia m8.

Do your best to improve your community on a local level. In the grand scheme of things, presidents are a shit. I hate to sound cliche, but be the change you want to see in the world.

>but seeing as it's a film
It's a flick.

All right: I want direct funding for my living necessities. I want to establish relationships with a group of people who can pay for my baseline needs like food and rent. I am looking for people who do not feel they need to see any “return” on their “investment.” I am looking for people who understand that money is a bad joke we use to hurt each other. I’m looking for people who like me were born with a lot of privileges but who have had the awareness and emotional stability to keep their bucket under the faucet when the money comes out.

I do not need the support of anyone who thinks that I will deserve to eat and sleep only after I have fulfilled some standard they’ve chosen to hold me to. I am looking for people who believe that if you spend your life in a small room thinking, you deserve to live and breathe the same amount as someone who spends their life doing intense physical or mental labor, or who has money that “makes money."

When I have established a means for a small group of people to directly meet my needs, and I know that the people involved understand the value of what they are doing and would continue without me, I will transfer these relationships to someone else. This will provide for the basic living necessities of a person who would not usually have the opportunity for their needs to be met by strangers on the internet. They will not be asked to do anything to keep these relationships going. They will simply have their needs met.

The Anglosphere is pretty expansive, you could move to Tonga.

Have you considered knowledge work? You get paid to think in these careers.

How upset do you have to be before you are mentally ill? I think the desire to separate political action from emotion is a symptom of the masculine cultural assumptions operating in our lives. People with strong feelings must be unstable, so the detachment required to be emotionless about situations must produce better decisions. This is an authoritative male way of thinking: the people with the least at stake should make the decisions.

Since I was born white, I think the most productive thing I can do in this culture might be for me to give up as much of my privilege as I can conceive of, and renounce systems that want me to experience “pleasure” or “safety” (as defined by our culture) at the direct cost of the suffering of others. I understand that other human beings come to different conclusions about living. This is where I’m headed.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess wherever one is, that individual is under surveillance by someone. This doesn't bother me so much I guess. Is Canada that bad? I feel like I am asking..."Is the grass really greener?"

I've really considered Australia and New Zealand, but I've heard that both of those countries are clamping down on licit immigration. I think it would be incredible to live there though.

I have gone this route. I currently live in Austin, TX. It's hell on earth. I'm leaving thankfully. But I agree with your sentiment. I just think America is too far gone at this point to make a lasting impact. I think matters have become far too polarized and turned into an 'Us and Them' paradigm to make effective change. I could very well be wrong and I hope I am wrong.

In Finland, if you're unemployed or studying, the government will pay for your living.
Rent, water, electricity etc. and give you a few hundred euros a month for food and shit.

Like I said, come to Australia.

We'd give a shit about your race, provided you don't act like a shit cunt, we'll get along fine.

stateism sucks.
t. Norja

Where to start. Mental illness unfortunately is very politicized, stigmatized, fetishized, and commodified and the people who suffer from it suffer from far more as a result.

I guess in some ways we are heading in different directions. I am more reacting to what I perceive as a threat to my well being. I think...perhaps erroneously...that to make it in America is not far from Rockefeller's path. That is to say, one must climb to the top to be king of the hill and crush anyone else underfoot to get there. I do not want to ruin anyone. I do not want to be accessory to a system that exploits people. My tax dollars support a ton of shit that bums me out. I think that the myth of all boats rising is a crock.

Bottomline, I think America is a special playground for the super rich (I mean transfinancial monetary financial class money) who eye the lesser classes like a nice juicy steak to carve up. I don't mean anyone's upper middle class dad who works as a consultant, an attorney, or a software engineer. Maybe I am misguided. I hope I am.

Really? I do have a friend who owns property in Punta Mita. He's really well-off. I haven't spoken to him in some time though.

Let’s be polite about the continued destruction of the natural world. Let’s be kind about the dissemination of sexism, racism and classism through systems of value that are flawed and broken, and whose proponents and participants have moved their self-preserving prejudices away from conscious exclusion of named communities to unconscious fear and lack of empathy for the other, which each individual participant in the system consciously believes that they do not have and that they are not responsible for this perspective’s negative effects on others.

Don’t criticize other people, it will come back to haunt you. These are small social groups and we need everyone’s support. Everything is fine, the power structures are fine. The stories being told are fine, the people with the money to fund the stories are fine. The cultural expressions pushed to the periphery are fine, the suffering people our cultures ignore are fine. (If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm just posting copypasta.) Actively choosing privileged voices and perspectives to be told, repeated, and propagated, that’s fine. Manufacturing huge amounts of living matter into dead objects meant for the garbage dump is fine. That the voices in authority are still primarily male, affluent and light-skinned, that’s fine. They can tell us which non-males, which poor people, which dark-skinned people we should pay attention to, which deserve to be allowed into our social and economic groups, and that will be fine.

Private prisons only house 9% of all prisoners in the US. In 2013, Pennsylvania cancled all private prison contracts and renegotiated them based on performance. Since then there have been a 11.3 percent reduction in recidivism. This wouldn't be possible with a government run facility, you can't just cancel their contract or fire poorly performing union guards who routinely lobby for stricter laws in order to increase prisoner population. I know private prisons get accused of this of doing this but it's just not the case, it's the prison guard unions that are doing it.

There is nothing wrong with private prisons.

So is this documentary any good or is it more of Moore's typical ideological pandering?

It's complete pandering. If you don't go in with a certain of hatred or distaste of the US you won't enjoy it.

That's a good question. It's certainly entertaining as most of his stuff is, but whether it's fair, clear, and objective...unsure...

>Whether you’ll enjoy Moore’s latest film depends on how you feel about its central conceit, which is to cherry-pick what’s great about a given country and contrast that nation’s situation to ours. If you’re in a self-loathing mood, you might find yourself nodding along with Moore, a host and narrator who benefits from a jaunty tone and briskly paced editing. But I found the film intellectually facile and politically delusional.

thewrap.com/where-to-invade-next-review-michael-moore-documentary/

I kind of want to watch it just to see how stupid it can be.

FUCK OFF we're full.

An inane focus on trivial problems with the American machine rather than the ones that matter.

Nowhere's perfect.

Also this. I know everyone is a little high on meme magic, but I think people need to remember is is that presidents aren't kings. They can't magically fix problems no matter who they are unless they either become a dictator or congress decides that they actually want to cooperate with them.

He's probably living very comfy, doing some trade jobs here and there, meeting new vatos and muchachas, girls are very accesible and they are not fucking femnazis, they are easily impresionable also and just want some fun.

Really the only people that I dont trust here is cops, not because I dont like them, I get its their job to be kinda annoying but thats because no one really respect them so they are rude and try to harass everyone to be seem as the though hero guys, so they do some perky thing to search you or ask you stupid shit if they see you loitering around.

Consider yourself lucky that you were born in a rich nation. You don't have to work as hard as people in 3rd world nations to earn a decent amount of money and lead a good life. There are people in African and South Asian countries that are struggling to be where you are right now.

quite incredible. I clicked this thread by chance since i dont normally browse Sup Forums because its cancerous.

You are not misguided. You recognize the many facades of society. No society is perfect. There are many cons and pros anywhere you go. So much variance where even if you do live in the most ideal place this current world has to offer you can be struck with some random illness and die. Maybe DUI accident from a faulty human being who caved into the indiscretions . Or heck your perfect society is invaded from some nonsensical war by an established higher power.

Money has guided this world for millennia that is true. But ultimately it is power. If one does not know how to fight, or is unwilling to raise their fist it is easy to conquer them and force your will upon them. Absolute power is the authority of this physical world. Money is just another means of imposing that will.

Do not falter though. very few question and it is us who question that are willing to look for the greater answers. Those who do not conform with the status quo. Who challenge the very notion of power itself being our rulers.

There's nowhere to go because of globalisation. Every country is going to gradually become '3rd world-ish', even the most stable and prosperous welfare nations. Basically no matter where you move it's going to be like India in a hundred years.

That article was a lot of words just to say "just because those policies work in those places doesn't mean they'll work here". Take for instance, I currently live in Japan. Gun crime is essentially nonexistent, and crime itself is extremely low in this country (pickpocketing is 1 in 10,000 people in a city vs the US's I believe 1 in 400). Now it wouldn't be hard for someone to say "well why don't we do what Japan is doing to get crime that low"

But saying that ignores a lot of things. There's a policemen here almost every couple hundred feat, and they're expected to visit everyone in their patrolled neighborhood once a year to keep friendly relations with them. The society as a whole is disinclined towards crime due to shame. The police have almost unlimited power and can detain you for weeks under horrible conditions until they coerce you to sign a confession. If you try to be a dangerous troublemaker, then if the police won't get you, the 暴力団 will for causing trouble on their turf which they see as a business. Moreover, this country doesn't have a gun culture. It used guns to unify the nation, they got rid of them since they were an island and no longer had enemies to fight. After that only the Imperial Army in post-restoration had modern weapons, and we know what happened to them.

Also outside of the cities there's man-eating bears. I don't just mean that they're dangerous, but that they actively hunt people.

>feat
feet*

>But saying that ignores a lot of things.

I think that's the point the author was trying to get across.

>Also outside of the cities there's man-eating bears. I don't just mean that they're dangerous, but that they actively hunt people.
Oh God! The-More-You-Know

Nobody gives a shit you annoying faggot.

Jesus, Moore has sure gotten old.

thanks for the kind compliment

that I think answers the question...it really is more open ended then, all societies have their own ills and one must choose the one that suits them I suppose or attempt to create/reform the one they wish to live in

>Mexico is truly the paradise now these days

Have they figure out the whole water treatment aspect of society yet? It would be a shame if things were going so well and they still had to drink literal shit.

precisely. and even then our understanding of this universe is so minuscule, that the infinite amount of variance we are blind to could ultimate crush us at any stage of our life.

But when you are aware of that fact it brings some pleasure knowing you made it this far, at least for myself it does.

I think many humans can strive for their ideal environment, and even achieve what they seek. However the few that ever realize such dreams are so few I imagine.

shack up with tibetan monks
they don't give a fuck what you do and don't need money

If any of you haven't seen An American Carol, I highly recommend it, The jews are really milking it in this movie.