Is this a good movie? Should I invest 3 hours to watch it? What're your thoughts on it?

Is this a good movie? Should I invest 3 hours to watch it? What're your thoughts on it?

I couldn't take it seriously. Murph was said so much I couldn't help but laugh.

yes, very

excellent film. please watch.

It wasn't a BAD movie, per se, but I'd recommend just reading the wiki for the plot and then watch Gravity or The Martian for your space kicks.

the martian was also an excellent film, i suggest both.

The OST is worth watching for. Got me very emotional at points.

Catch an IMAX screening if you ever can. Blew me away, user.

It's an okay movie if you know a bit about astrophysics.
It's a great movie if you don't care about science.

It's a total mindfuck if you're into mindfuck movies.

I thought Gravity was completely overhyped. At no time could I say I actually cared about anything going on in that movie.

yes it's worth the 3 hours user

foy was such a qt

It's like SCIENTISM: THE FILM!
Subtitle: Why science saves the world and gravity is made of love.

It is about the smartest people left on Earth trying to save humanity by making the stupidest decisions possible. Literally "let's split up" horror movie level stupid decisions.

The musical score is really good and there are a few scenes that are really cool, but overall the primary emotional driver in the film is only set up because the characters are down syndrome stupid for the most important decision they could make.

But Sandra Bullock in green tank top and black spandex shorts? HNNNNGGGG

Good movie for a one time watch.

Like other Nolan movies, the more you watch them, the more it turns to shit, with average acting/directing, plot holes and laughable dialogue becoming too apparent.

It kind of sucks. First 15min I was like that was a long 15min, this is going to be awhile.

Honestly it was a fun movie. ignore the movie snobs and elitests, it was a fun movie that you can sit down to with a couple brews and take a load off.

It sucks.

It's literally just a retelling of 2001: a space odyssey, with subtle differences..

Just like O' brother where art though is a reselling of the odyssey..

I heard it's a feels trip too? Is that true?

Old girl is way past her prime in that level. Nothing about her does it for me.

Holy shit.

best movie

Yeah, made me feel some feels, but I can see it falling flat for some people.

It's a god awful film that only fucking morons like.

>No explanation on plot, no one can act, anything interesting is ignored, the entire plan is fucking stupid, the ending is boring and makes no sense, slow plot and every twist is either boring or obvious.

It could be, but only if you're a fag

Yeah you can get a bit feely with it. If youre a sap youll shed a few tears.

It's a very shallow emotional problem caused by the characters in the movie. We are supposed to be super torn up by it but the characters in the film are like "fuck it it was only important for one scene, we don't care after that"

That explains why it's such a shit movie.

I mean god damn, fucking do something. Stop fucking wasting time with artsy shit.

So please enlighten us to what it takes for a movie to be good.
>inb4 2001/Citizen Kane

Loved it. Its a science movie that was partially written by an astral physicist so there is a lot of accurate (by today's knowledge) science theory in it -TO A POINT-. There is some feels. VERY GOOD MOVIE.

Also Matt Damon ;)

You're using the word "invest" to describe watching a movie, so I'm guessing you have nothing else to do.

Nope, they don't explain what's going on at all so there is no way to feel anything when they focus on the retarded guy who seems more like he should be growing weed instead of having anything to do with science.

>astral physicist
KEK

>there is a lot of accurate (by today's knowledge) science theory in it -TO A POINT-
Yeah, well, no, just no

Yep. It's my off day, it's raining and I ran outta brew, so I got nothing better to do

It's a fun ride, pretty entertaining if you like Z-movie.
If you don't like movie that are so bad it's actually good, skip it, seriously.

alright alright alright

So go watch the movie dude, it isn't a difficult decision.

>partially written by an astral physicist so there is a lot of accurate
>written by an astral physicist
>astral physicist
>astral

you mean astrophysicist?

Depends on the genre and style of the movie but the biggest thing is to build a world where the viewer feels like it's real.

>And fuck both those movies, anything made before the 70s is utter garbage as they were so censored that it wasn't even possible to make a decent movie.

some 'sad' parts but overall entertaining as fuck.

Yeah it's pretty good, some parts are kinda cheese but overall not bad

not all of it is completely accurate but a good portion of it is, and there isnt anything just flat out "wrong" as the things that arent entirely accurate are just highly exaggerated (like the time dilation on wave planet....and the tidal forces on the wave planet....ok wave planet was all kinds of exaggerated fucked up)

Conceptually it's pretty cool, but come to terms with the fact that you are going to be watching and hearing matthew mcconaughey whisper every single one of his lines like a faggot for three hours

this might be too true. i only watched the movie once and i don't know if i desire to watch it again.

i keep thinking about Hatheway's character and it makes me uncomfortable.

>anything made before the 70s is utter garbage

Please remove yourself from the conversation.

Come-own murrrrph, let me murrrph ya all up in that murrrrrph hole, murrrph

>total mindfuck
Never seen a science fiction/time travel movie before, huh? It was completely straightforward for myself and everyone I know.

Don't invest 3 hours, just $40, but be careful not to get ripped off.

Sorry murph!

The music is hilarious
The scientism is barf-inducing (C'mon Murph, if you'd just stop eatin yer breakfast and make some science, ye could have some food fer the rest o yer life!)
Gravity is love
Gravity is love
They fucking argue that gravity is love

And then you have to spend 20 fucking minutes watching redneck Matthew walk around (somehow inside a black hole) through an infinite series of bookcases behind which his daughter is talking to future ghosts. And the whole time it's MURPH! MURPH! MURPH! MURPH! And in the ost, hans zimmer is like BLLMRPH! BLLMRPH! BLLMRPH! BLLMRPH! with repetitive church organs designed to emulate matthew mcconaughey's hick murphy scream

And then some people fucking had the feels watching this shit haha. Go see most other sci fi movies instead. This was just a Neil deGrasse Tyson garbage bag, designed for folks from appalachia and rural iowa

Name a movie that came out before the 70s that would do good in the theaters now.

Nothing flat out wrong? are fucking kidding me?
Tell me how you try to orbit a BLACK HOLE to gain speed without being swallowed ?

I am a sci fi fan. I am just assuming that the OP isn't or hasn't seen many sci fi/time travel movies. And I did describe the movie accurately. It is a total mindfuck, especially at the end.

Yes, based on relativity theory, truly well done.
Every thing at end, go at right side.

That would do good in movies now? Probably not many, but that generally not used as an indication of quality.

If by "mindfuck" you mean "got lazy building a plot worth telling so devolved into 'gravity is love' and 'hey look its gramma murph'"

I liked Interstellar but your synopsis is pretty accurate

The good the bad the ugly

Why?, just because it's old it gets special treatment?

No, I've seen 2001: SO
The Martian
Arrival
Gravity
Apollo 13
Close Encounters
Contact,
Just never got around to Interstellar

are you not familiar with slingshotting? its like when you take a turn in the road at high speeds. Inertia wants to keep you going straight, which pulls you away from the center of the turn. you LITERALLY just bitched about one of the most accurately portrayed things in the entire movie and most scientists understand how fucking easily this could be done

anything else uneducated faggot?

did you notice the dome or firnament symbolism with ice walls?

But not SUNSHINE? Who the fuck you think you are

...no, I don't judge a film based on box office returns regardless of whenever it came out.

In space? Go check your facts

Except in horror films it's usually innebriated teenagers. At least they have an excuse to make stupid decisions.

What an idiot

using gravity you fuckwit.

Lol #moneyisquality #plebsareright

Ohhhh yeah

Once you begin to be sucked by a black hole, you CAN'T escape.

>The musical score is really good
Lol see

I recommend Moon (2009). Its a pretty decent movie as well.

Yeah well, if ther's this much debate about the movie I guess its worth the 3 hrs and decide fr yourself user.

A lightly seasoned space movie enthusiast

ONCE YOU GO BLACK, YOU NEVER COME BACK

HOLY FUCK!
Yes yes please watch Moon.
Sam Rockwell FTW.

just watch it so you can have your own opinion. Of course every film involving space travelling, wormholes, relativity, time travelling etc will have detractors and people bashing it because they will always find something to argue, but apart from this the movie do have a lot of things that makes it really special, top acting, excellent music, screenplay... And Nolan is a beast directing, at least IMO...

TLDR: just watch it

Okay, I'm not the girl you're slapfighting, but you need to go back to school. Look up the "event horizon", which is the line you cant cross without turning back. They didnt cross that line. They just came super close to it.

There is literally no scientific controversy about the point you are raising. Literally just go look up what an event horizon is and then rewatch the shit movie

You're a literal retard. No one's talking about slingshotting inside the event horizon. Read a book you dumb nigger

Missed opportunity. Not nearly as god as it could've been. Visually compelling, but shallow and sappy. Has one or two intensely emotional scenes, though. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it just for that.

However, if you're going online to ask people if you should watch this or that, you're probably an idiot, so I figure it'll blow your mind like the rest of these plebs. Enjoy it.

Two words

>love tars

Ruined the whole fucking movie.

Nolan has good soundtracks in general but this one has character! Im telling you, its, like, really good.

Event Horizon missing on the list...

What is going on, user?

The science was fine and actually incredibly engaging. Better handled than in similar films. The problem was with the melodramatic and hilarious ost, the "gravity is love" screenplay, and hardcore polemics and soapbox didacticism. In other words, it had an awesome premise and plot, and then wildly lazy storytelling was used to tell that story.

Would highly recommend this as well user

Yes see Sunshine, Moon, Event Horizon. All great recs. Also Alien obvs

So you'd like to see more sci-fi movies move closer to fact then fiction?

How do you feel about The Expanse?

kek my sides

Sunshine was fucking.... weird cause that one dude. It was good. But the villain felt out of place.

>In space
>implying we are not

Pretty much those.
It's a trashy bootleg version of 2001:SO, but it's entertaining the first time you watch it.

No lol I prefer sci fi movies that don't build themselves entirely around the inner science logic, unless they do so in a highly creative way like in Arrival. Weird sci fi stuff usually trumps dry factual sci fi stuff. That wasnt my point at all.

My point was just that Intersteller had great factual and scientific points, which is fun and cool and all, but that the actual storytelling was amateurish and not very creative. The whole movie was Nolan standing on a soapbox hollering "Science is goood!" and then, in a softer voice, "What if gravity were love?"

Bad soapbox philosophy and cheesy soundtrack does not feels and compelling storytelling make.

>in space?
>implying that a mechanism based of of gravity and inertia wont work in space

guess there isnt any gravity or inertia in space

It's basically a 3 hour Matthew Cadillac commercial. Unremarkable