PATRICIAN THREAD

Oi Sup Forums I know you have some patricians lurking.

I've been cranking out some Bergman and pretty mainstream directors (Ozu, Antonioni, Fellini, Bresson, Truffaut, Cassavettes) and I owe this to you guys; thanks a lot. I never knew movies could be this good.

Now, Im looking for some experimental editing/atmosphere. For instance, I really liked Bergman's sporadic sequences of images in Persona. I like all (minus Dune) of Lynch's movies, particularly because of his atmosphere: things like couches being perpetually unoccupied, random pipes protruding, walls being too tall, facial expressions inconsistent, etc. Even pic related does a subtle job of this simply through the constant clanking of machines.

I suppose im looking for something unsettling. Something that paints the world slightly off-kilter.

Any directors or movies recommended would be appreciated. This can also be a general if you guys would like; any questions or topics can be posted!

Thanks guys--your taste is great

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P7pQG5Iv784
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mTarJ0Op7W8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Try Truffle.

Who is this guy? I can't find anything on him

Bump

Try Teshigahara's Woman in the Dunes, Face of Another, and Pitfall, maybe? Very stylistic, great atmosphere, and usually have characters react "violently" to an unfair world. Having a hard time thinking of anything else even remotely similar.

Maybe for weird, unsettling atmosphere try some other surrealists like Buñuel or Wojciech Has. Probably stick with Bergman if you haven't seen much by him. Check out Cries and Whispers, Hour of the Wolf, Shame, and Face to Face.

Some other patricians:
Bela Tarr
Early stuff from Werner Herzog
Akira Kurosawa
Aki Kaurismäki
Lars von Trier (especially early stuff)
Jodorowski

...just of the top of my head

These look great, I'll watch Woman in the Dunes today. Thanks a lot. Really good stuff.

I've heard a lot about Tarr and the only Kurosawa I've been exposed to is Seven Samurai. I'll need to watch a lot more of him. Thanks for the recommendations guys, keep Sup Forums alive

Also, have either of you seen A Woman Under the Influence? What an incredible film. I can't stop thinking about it.

I'll second Kurosawa. Specifically check out Rashomon and Yojimbo/Sanjuro. The latter 2 are fun action films but made by possibly the all time greatest director. Very worth checking out.

I'll also add Zulawski to this list. If you are looking for something with an off kilter view of the world seek out Possession. It's one of my personal favorites. Zulawski is deep into the art house world, though. So go in expecting the over-acting and soliloquys associated with that kind of thing. I personally love it but it's not for everyone.

Woman in the Dunes is great, real interesting photography.

>have either of you seen A Woman Under the Influence
Yes, I've seen 8 of his films. Absolutely admire Cassavetes, and A Woman Under the Influence is one of his best. He made many great films, though. You should definitely check out his others. Opening Night and Love Streams have similar dysfunctional characters as A Woman Under the Influence.

If you want to watch more Japanese directors to watch you should check out Mizoguchi and Naruse at least. Naruse is like the downtrodden, cynical version of Ozu, and Mizoguchi is on a level of his own. So many great directors, and only one film at a time ;_;

Your guys' standards of what's "patrician" and "mainstream" are so warped it's ridiculous. How is Ozu more "mainstream" than Lynch?? How is Kurosawa more "experimental" than the French New Wave? Yall don't know what you're talking about at all

We're talking about experimental technique. I don't I've any fucks at all about the mainstream vs patrician dichotomy

Jaques Truffle.

>experimental technique.
Yeah and? That's my point. OP said he's watched Truffaut and Bresson and wants something MORE experimental, and you guys recommend Kurosawa? Wtf

Check out Marketa Lazarová. Has a really great, surreal atmosphere to it

I don't know what's worse, when Sup Forums only talks about capeshit or when Sup Forums thinks they're educated enough to talk about good movies.

Op here
I'll definitely look look at these, especially the second recommendation.

Yeah Love Streams was great as well, but I can't say I loved it as much as A Woman Under the Influence. Ive never seen such an accurate portrayal of mental illnesses. Anything in this realm would be great too.

>If you want to watch more Japanese directors to watch you should check out Mizoguchi and Naruse at least. Naruse is like the downtrodden, cynical version of Ozu, and Mizoguchi is on a level of his own. So many great directors, and only one film at a time ;_;
This guy sounds perfect. I haven't sene an enormous amount of Japanese cinema, but I saw Tokyo Drifter and was taken back. What a cool movie. Was Suzuki's use of color/montage style new or was this just a perfected version of it? Also, I share your sentiment ;_;

Will do

>or when Sup Forums thinks they're educated enough to talk about good movies.
Im pretty self-aware in terms of my inexperience. However, not talking about 'good movies' is a great way to never learn anything. No harm in discussing.

Your favourite "bad" film?
This and Gummo would be mine.

Okay so I've steered clear of Zabriskie Point for a while now, despite loving everything I've seen of Antonioni's (Red desert, l'Avventura trilogy, Blow Up). What's the issue with it? Is it similar to red desert at all?

It's an anti-American movie.
People didn't get it.
It's fantastic.
Haven't seen Red Desert yet.

It features the greatest explosion scene of all times. It has a fairly in your face message without being naive about it.
Also make sure to watch Profession: Reporter. Really good film with a super hot Maria Schneider in it.

Alright I'll give it a go but I think I'll try The Passenger first--I fucking love Nicholson

>tfw tried to get into patrician directors like Fellini, Ozu and Bergman multiple times over the years
>just hate them more and more as I get older
>go back to watching Ford, Hawks and Wilder instead
I love classic movies but it is just impossible for me to into these kinds of "patrician" films. Fellini's films in particular I find downright painful to watch.

>the list goes on!!!

>go back to watching Ford, Hawks and Wilder instead
Go take a nap, grandpa

Sandler creates thought provoking insightful kino

*Snyder

Stuff I watched recently:
Timbuktu
Durak (The Fool)
Hard to be a God

The first two were very entertaining and powerful. The last one is a tough watch but unique and it resonates.

I can't stand Ford

>I can't stand Ford

>Fellini's films in particular
agreed. His films are annoying to me as well.
Bergman has made some really quality entertainment though. Like Kurosawa about half his films are just highest pleasure and the other half just well made boredom.

Nicolas Roeg's editing is some of the weirdest and most fascinating stuff I've ever seen. I strongly recommend Walkabout and Don't Look Now for starters, but skip the later half or so of his filmography, since it drops in quality by a lot.

The Devils by Ken Russel is pretty intense, especially if you're into highly controversial anti-religious commentary and blasphemous stuff like nun orgies.

Come and See is a pretty popular one. Imo it's the definitive "gradual descent into chaos and insanity" film.

Victor Erice is a master of the calm, magical and ethereal atmosphere. Definitely watch The Spirit of the Beehive, at least.

Roy Andersson combines the ridiculous and over the top with the horrible and depressing. Sometimes you don't even know if you're supposed to feel horrified or amused. Watch World Of Glory, his short, to get an idea what he's about. Although his later feature films are more on the comical side.
youtube.com/watch?v=P7pQG5Iv784 (make sure to turn on the captions)

As said, Andrzej Zulawski is right up your alley. Possession is his best, but also check out On The Silver Globe and The Third Part of the Night, at least.

Hey this is a good thread to ask.

Does anyone know the name of that short film that's supposed to like like it was put through a meat grinder? It's very jumpy and flashes black and whit constantly. It was taken from a slasher flick and is photage of a for in a house.

I saw it recommended on here and enjoyed it but can't remember what it's called.

He said he was new to good movies so they're recing good movies. Kurosawa is good despite what "patricians" say and they just assumed he hadn't seen much of him. And guess what? He hasn't, so it's fine.

>The Devils by Ken Russel
seconded. Pretty wild.

> Roy Andersson
I really only liked the Songs from the second floor, but the films definitefly have style.

Fuck. Found it.

Watch this OP. It's only like 10 minutes.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mTarJ0Op7W8

I forgot one:
Wake in Fright

It's an older australian film and it's wild and manly. In a good way.

>The Spirit of the Beehive
Another Franco Regime film is La Isla Minima, a fairly recent film. Very well made film.

What exactly do you do here?

That's alright brother.

Kenneth Anger is campy and kitch, with a crude sense of the experimental. Try Lucifer rising perhaps? It's short.

The pretentious Mexican Carlos Reygadas might also take your fancy.

Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Uncle Boonmee is worth a look.

If you want to dive into what I consider to be genuine experimentalism (I mean this in a neutral and semantic sense, not genuine= superior) you could check out Stan Brakhage. Tarkovsky apparently started shouting at the in the middle of a screening of one of his films. Too experimental for him.

>Uncle Boonmee
Beautiful Film. Very slow but hypnotic. One of the most comfy films I have ever seen.

Have you seen Cemetery of Splendor yet?

Seconds by John Frankenheimer

No, but thanks for mentioning. Will watch.

i guess you could argue his montage editing is experimental, either way if you want to study editing Kurosawa is one of the best

Perfect, thanks so much for the thought. I've seen Walkabout and loved it. As for everyhinf else, I'll watch it and report back. Really appreciate this.

Will do once im home.

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. Glad I made this thread. You guys rock--good to know some film watchers are still around

battleship potyomkin (eisenstein)
napoleon (gance)
un chien andalou (buñuel)
earth (dovzhekno)

watch the classics

Tetsuo the iron man has amazing camerawork, editing, and atmosphere and it's only about an hour long.

Every Mario Bava horror movie

>Stan Brakhage
I see him more as a performance artist who happens to use film, rather than an actual filmmaker, similarly to people like James Benning. Brakhage scratched and painted on actual film, and used extremely subtle associative images in order to help evoke feelings and emotions from the viewers. Same thing with his image collage films. It's extraordinary and breathtaking for sure, but they're not exactly proper, actual films, at least in my book.

As for Apichatpong Weerasethakul, I'd say Tropical Malady is his best work, but Uncle Boonmee is a close second. All of his films are just incredibly personal, spiritual, other worldly journeys.

if you want something unsettling try spalovac mrtvol by juraj herz
really good moobie i tell you hwat

I don't really get the performance art association. My point was that the use of the word experimental in it's strictest sense applies more to Brakhage than most of what is commonly labelled experimental cinema. It's just a quirk of the terminology. As you pointed out yourself, Brakhage literally painted on the film. If that's not an experiment, I don't know what is.

I know I'm being unduly pedantic, but film is an area where terms get passed around like currency. The word experimental starts to lose meaning if we don't tighten it up from time to time. We certainly loosen it enough.

and if you haven't seen them already you could check out through a glass darkly and hour of the wolf by bergman

>Tetsuo the iron man
The absolute mad man! Also one of the rare occasions the sequel was really good too.

I associated him with performance art because many of his works are are "nothing" video projects (seemingly, if not actually random shapes, colors and images) with the sole purpose of stimulating thoughts, ideas and emotions in the viewer. In that way he's similar to Jonas Mekas, or even Arthur Lipsett's "21-87", although that one does have a very meta side to it.
I guess I agree that Brakhage is technically an actual filmmaker, it's just that he pushes the boundaries of experimental films to the absolute edge in their most basic form possible, which is probably why his work is so highly appraised.
Still, coming back to the OP and the thread, his films are more like "pure" experiences, and not "proper" ones with a narrative, either solid or barely even suggested, but still technically existent.

i think every young man should have a brief brakhage period where he watches a lot of his stuff

it had a very nice impression on me at least

But projected on a cinema, otherwise his works and baillies are worthless

Is anyone experienced with the work of jakubisko?

I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but I think you're using the term performance art in a fairly solipsistic and impractical way. There's no dramatic performance in Brakhage's work. He's a filmmaker. A non-narrative, experimental filmmaker. The idea of "pure" and "proper" doesn't sit well with me either. Anyway, I don't want to argue. I just don't understand you.

Some of the names you dropped are interesting though, hadn't heard of Lipsett. Some ferocious googling will ensue.

>baillies

what is that?

if you have the luxury, sure. i didn't and it wasn't worthless to me.

Sure, but performance art is a term that's just as vague and expansive as cinema, if not even more. So performance art doesn't have to happen in the same manner all the time, it doesn't always have to have an actual meaning, and it could just be about expressing and inducing emotion (just like Brakhage). I'm aware that I'm stretching it a bit, but I guess it's just a way I look at it personally.

>There's no dramatic performance in Brakhage's work. He's a filmmaker. A non-narrative, experimental filmmaker.
Yeah, that's what I said too. By pure I just meant filmmaking in its most basic form (shapes and colors), and by proper I meant a regular, narrative based film. OP asked for a specific type of movie recommendations, and I wouldn't really say that these kinds of highly experimental films are exactly what he's looking for, especially since he seems to be pretty new to it all.
Also it's alright, I wasn't trying to argue, just to discuss.

>Red Desert
>patrician
It's literally just a woman being freaked out by technological progress: the movie. It doesn't even have any aesthetic appeal.

Antonioni has to be the most vapid asshole to ever be considered arthouse.

The beach scene represented how beautiful life without technology can be

>didn't get it

Bruce baillie
Sorry I'm an asshoke, I just think it's not the same

Got a real cinephile here folks