Kurt Cobain kills himself after Nirvana becomes too big for him to handle

>Kurt Cobain kills himself after Nirvana becomes too big for him to handle
>following Alice In Chains' rise to being one of the biggest rock bands on the planet, Layne Staley becomes a shut-in and spends 8 years isolated in his apartment, obliterating himself with drugs before finally dying
>Soundgarden break up at their creative and commercial peak; they eventually reunite and release a couple of lukewarm albums before Chris Cornell kills himself as well
>Pearl Jam freak out about being too popular and go on an autistic boycott against music videos and Ticketmaster, fucking up their career in the process

Why were grunge bands so shit at handling success?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3PsLjEe6Ic0
stereogum.com/1820955/new-alice-in-chains-book-reveals-courtney-loves-suspicion-that-kurt-cobain-didnt-commit-suicide/news/
youtube.com/watch?v=5C-4gdI7uzU
youtube.com/watch?v=__biilMpnmw
youtube.com/watch?v=Ssn9I47Tjd0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the 90's were about being as authentic as possible and not selling out

>Be Chris Cornell
>Try not to "Sell Out"
>Become wildly successful, considered a founding father of an entire movement as the lead singer of Soundgarden
>Forced to leave because of sudden meteoric success
>Join a broken up band and form Audioslave
>Every album sells, get top hits, sell out stadiums
>Forced to leave
>Do a solo acoustic tour, with strings and shit, think nobody will show up
>Every gig is fully booked
>Fuck out of there and do a Temple of the Dog reunion
>"Who's going to want to see this? the band is decades old by now and eddie vedder wont even show up"
>Every ticket for every event is sold out in 1 second by scalpers due to such high demand
>Go back to Soundgarden
>Still sell out entire stadiums
Suicide was the only way out

this

grunge has been commercial for the past few decades and it completely sucks the meaning out of the idea

I was too young for the grunge scene (was a toddler when Nevermind was released), but I'll never understand why Layne Stanley is considered in the same group as the others.

His voice was fine, but obviously became horribly dated and retroactively slapped with the 'buttrock' 'derp' tag, but beyond that, they just didn't make great music.

Kurt, Chris, and Eddie all had excellent radio rock vocals but also penned great music. Alice in Chains only make sense in the context of the grunge era, whereas Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and (lesser extent) Soundgarden sound pretty timeless.

Even fucking Scott Weiland had better material. Dunno, guess you 'just had to be there' but I can't into Alice in Chains at all, and I have genuinely enjoyed the other groups for my entire life to date.

I guess being a good musician and songwriter doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be ok with handling fame and success. Particularly when a lot of them were paranoid and fucked up on drugs anyway.

I think over time some of his Audioslave work will be considered "Timeless rock classics" because they're more radio friendly and less metal than anything he did in Soundgarden

It's Layne STALEY not Stanley

It's more the guitar sound that makes it grunge and I disagree with you about his voice he sounded awesome and I want to whip your ass for this shitty post.

>not liking Layne
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

He's a real bitch and I just hope to God he's trolling or I'm going to demolish him irl

youtu.be/3PsLjEe6Ic0

Kek he probably had a 'no funeral' sign around the noose too

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Suck a giant black cock you Layne hating bastard. I hope your mother gets constipated and triggers an aneurysm while pooping. I hope your dad finds her a few days later, gags on the smell of decaying flesh and poop, trips and hits his head on the corner of the sink and dies also.

I hope your sister comes back, notices the scene runs to get an ambulance but trips on the stairs and breaks her neck.

Then I hope you find them all but live, you fucking dick licking bastard.

yeah go fuck yourself

Kurt killed himself to make his art ethernal. That's pretty amazing desu.

They lived the dream

Speaking of grunge bands with fucked up frontpeople, is Hole actually good or are they just the Courtney Love meme band?

Dumb Poo pee poster

auto-erotic asphyxiation is not suicide

Hole is actually good. Give "Live through this" a listen.

depends on how much you like nirvana or smashing pumpkins

basically kurt and billy wrote all their good songs.

Eddie Vedder is a fucking trash vocalist and Pearl Jam is by far the worst of all of them.

Sadly, even in hip-hop they all embrace "the man". It's not hip to be underground and "authentic" anymore.

fuck you Chris for having killed the Grunge music
F
U
C
K

U

How to get godly early 90's grunge hair?

wash it twice a day? or not at all?

womens products?

>wash
>grunge
pick one

Kek.
Kurdt and billy wrote that album.

so don't wash it at all?

Kurt used conditioner and everything. He just never brushed it.

>''Why were grunge bands so shit at handling success.''

That's the point. They never want the sucess, they never want to be commercial. It was a consequence, but they never really want that.

>basically kurt and billy wrote all their good songs.

Nah, a lot of people(including people who are no longer friendly with Courtney and don't have any reason to lie) confirmed that Kurt had nothing to do with Live Through This aside from singing backing vocals on a couple of songs and writing one song which ended up being a B-side on a single.
Corgan's involvement on Celebrity Skin was similarly limited. He had a small bit of input on like what, 3 songs or something.

>you will never have grunge hair

ya know what im actually sorry for spewing bullshit without researching. it was just something i heard from my cobain obsessed roommate who wound up killing himself. i never bothered to fact check. pretty on the inside has NOTHING to do with billy or kurt and apparently billy has credits on 5 songs. still a big chunk but yeah. cool. i'll have to listen to them sometime

>Why were grunge bands so shit at handling success?
handling success means selling out to the jew

it's better to burn out than fade away

this post made me laugh lol

AIC is the best grunge band, fuckface

>give a bunch of uneducated rock musicians a lot of money
>they can now afford to be addicted to alcohol and drugs better than before
>buy more alcohol/drugs
>life still shitty
>now also forced to play the same songs 200 nights a year
>songs you've actually put feeling in to now lose that feeling because endless repeat

really makes you think

THIS.

can't tell if ur trolling or not but go fuck yourself m8. layne is a fucking legend. AIC is timeless

Never thought about it like that before. I guess it's the loss of emotional connection with what you create that causes you to be known as a sellout. For a lot of these artists music is their only outlet so when it becomes too commercial they lose their souls.

I remember hearing Kurt hated playing Teen Spirit over and over

It's not retroactively slapped with buttrock derp, you said that, no one else did. Eddie Vedder is really considered the father of that style btw. Alice In Chains definitely had better songs than Pearl Jam. I can't even think of a single Pearl Jam song I enjoy.

I consider my rating system relatively objective, not completely, but I don't give Kurt points for dying young. I don't like Manic Street Preachers, and I think THEY are a perfect example of an overrated band due to a member's "Death".

Now, with all that said, Nirvana was just clearly the best out of all the "big four" grunge bands. Ignore the politics, ignore Cobain's hypocrisy. If we are looking at it from an artistic perspective, Cobain was clearly the best, artistically. He was the best songwriter. People shit on him for aping Pixies, but if you were intellectually honest, you'd know that Nirvana was superior to Pixies. Yes, he was influenced by them, but Cobain was an amalgamation of influences. He wasn't just aping the Melvins. He was all the quirky indie bands, he was noise rock, he was punk, he was pop, all mixed into one. Which is why his music stands above the rest. Not due to rock mythology created by his death. If he didn't die, Nevermind and In Utero would have still been 2 of the best albums of the 90s.

Alice in Chains are clearly talented, and have wrote more than enough good tunes. I would even argue that they hit GREATER artistic heights than Nirvana, but this is few and far between. Nirvana was CONSISTENT. Even their b-sides shit on most bands best songs. You listen to a Nirvana song and you're getting a good pop song, or at least something noisy and manic.

Soundgarden were all EXTREMELY talented musicians, and had more "music theory" points with knowledgeable people. They played in weird time signatures, they had long songs, they had alternate tunings. Chris was a monster of a vocalist. However, all those factors don't (1/2)

>However, all those factors don't
whatever you're going to say next is gonna be some bullshit

lend themselves to good songwriting. Soundgarden was a not-metal-enough metal band. They didn't have the chops to impress me technically the way a Megadeth record would, or really any thrash, and they didn't have the songwriting capability to compete with Cobain. They were a product of their influences, and they just happened to wear their influences, Sabbath and Zeppelin, on their sleeve more than Nirvana or Alice In Chains.

Alice in Chains suffered from some very on-the-nose songwriting. You can TELL they used to be a hair metal dudes. That influence is there, so there sound is more rooted in the 90s. Soundgarden was weird enough to be a little ahead of the curve, so their sound is a little more timeless, yet they still suffer from MUH PENTATONIC RIFFS BRO.

Cobain didn't. Cobain not only was lyrically cryptic enough that people thought he was speaking nonsense (which he wasn't), but he also knew the perfect musical counterpoint to each one of his riffs. Vocals fit perfectly with the guitar line, the bass line complimented, and the next section of the song was a perfect answer the question posed in the previous.

Cobain gets shat on for "hurr durr muh 3 chords" but this is just ignorance spewed by people who want to hate Nirvana due to contrarian backlash to Nirvana's lasting popularity. Lithium's main riff alone has 7 different chords, and it is a WEIRD and DIFFERENT chord progression that still manages to be catchy, all at once.

Vocally, Cobain was cut from a different cloth. Staley and Cornell were CLEARLY better singers, no doubt. Cornell could sing circles around Cobain. But, and this is from someone who has listened to a decent amount of music, I have yet to hear someone scream as manically as Cobain does, especially on a song like Negative Creep. There's something so primal, so cool about a dude just screaming at the top of his lungs with no regard for his vocal cords. He wasn't controlled power like Cornell, he was complete chaos.

who's next, then?

Eddie

>didn't have the songwriting capability to compete with Cobain
see, I knew it was gonna be some bullshit
kurts lyrics can't complete with the shit chris cornell wrote
some of nirvanas lyrics are literal gibberish
you could take lyrics from cornells solo albums, soundgarden and audioslave and put it in a book and sell it as poetry

I meant more the songs themselves not lyrically.Lyrics are secondary to the songs themselves if you ask me. Lyrically, yeah Cornell was great, better than Cobain? Sure, why not. But the SONGS are not better than Cobain's. Understand?

songwriting =/= lyrical content, you mong

If you actually look at Hole's lyrics it's clearly obvious a woman had large input in the creation of the song. The more you listen to Hole throughout the years you'll see that Courtney tends to re-use a lot of the same themes, certain words etc.

If you wanna try getting into them don't forget about the deep cuts. "My Body The Hand Grenade" and "Ask For It" are amazing

here's the thing, you've now agreed that chris cornell and soundgarden were better in every objective way to nirvana, and your preference for nirvana hinges on a subjective opinion

I happen to have the opposite subjective opinion, that chris cornell has put out upwards of 50 tracks I consider to be better than your favorite nirvana tracks

he took advantage of not committing suicide for a few extra decades which gave him the time to produce so much excellent shit

The Seattle Police Department appreciates your acceptance that Kurt Cobain's death was a suicide. As does Courtney Love.

>Better in every objective way

Songwriting? No

Originality? Hell no

Catchiness (which is vital in pop music)? Nope

Artistic vision? Nope

(Songwriting) Which happens to be the most important part. Yes, Chris was a better vocalist, even a better lyricist. He's also got way more songs to pick from, and a TON more misses than Cobain did. Ultramega Ok and Louder than Love are veritable trash. Audioslave is mostly garbage. Most Soundgarden songs are in a metal purgatory where they aren't hard and technical enough to be impressive, not riff-centric enough to be entertaining, and not pop enough to be catchy.

Hole were actually the best of the grunge bands that made it big as far as record sales went(as far as "grunge" in general went though, they were bested by the Melvins Mudhoney and the Screaming Trees). Courtney Love was one of the most exciting frontpeople in rock at the time
Hole were also considerably bigger than Nirvana when Courtney and Kurt met up, which is why the gold digger take on Courtney never made much sense to me.

ask yourself why grunge even got big anyways, isnt that kind of weird that alt rock became such a cultural force?
It would be like diiv releasing an album today that topped the charts and knocked beyonce drake beiber off of them.
And then there being some sort of shoegaze cultural explosion.

The 90's were a unique time when you think about it

>It would be like DIIV etc

No, it wouldn't.

It's not weird that alt rock became a cultural force because rock was still very much the music of the youth. "Grunge" came right when it was supposed to, people were ready for a new sound, it had been stewing in the underground for awhile.

DIIV isn't even a blip on the radar. Rock isn't relevant anymore. At least new rock music.

courtney thought someone killed kurt ya retard

>DIIV isn't even a blip on the radar. Rock isn't relevant anymore. At least new rock music.

lol i really hate you poptmaists acting like rock was topping the charts back then and not like fucking new kids on the block and Whitney Houston or some shit.

It totally would be the same.
You say rock isnt relevant, what if you woke up tomorrow and diiv was number one on the charts, everyone would be asking what the fuck is diiv and there would be music buinessmen looking to sign diiv knock offs, there would be a shoegaze look and kids at school would be all "yeah im totally a shoegazer"
The local new would ask "IS YOUR CHILD A SHOEGAZER AND IS IT DANGEROUSE?!"

No, user, she HAD Kurt killed. El Duce, presumably did the deed.

>His voice was fine, but obviously became horribly dated and retroactively slapped with the 'buttrock' 'derp' tag, but beyond that, they just didn't make great music.

If I didn't know better I would think you were talking about Vedder in that sentence.

Layne had the most unique and soulful voice of the big 4 Grunge vocalists. Cornell had the most power and range.

>poptmaists
>acting like rock was topping the charts

Nevermind replaced Michael Jackson's album as number 1 on the album chart. Are you serious right now?

DIIV will never be number one on the charts because there music is both boring shite and not the right type of shite to be number one of anything

>i'm a turbopleb: the post

How can you be so devoid of taste? It's one thing if you just aren't into grunge music. But to actually think AIC are a sub-tier band compared to fucking Pearl Jam and Nirvana? AIC probably had the most original sound of all of the Grunge bands. Cantrell's riffs are unique and his harmonies with Layne make the band's sound unmistakable. The melodies are as catchy as they are dark and haunting.

How is something like Rain When I Die or Dirt (the song) "buttrock derp"? Especially when you compare it to stuff on Pearl Jam's Ten.

>DIIV will never be number one on the charts because there music is both boring shite and not the right type of shite to be number one of anything

Im not saying they are, im saying how fucking weird it would be if they did, you antagonistic retard, that shit would be pure 90's

why are nirvana babbies the most unintelligent fanbase in the entire world
stereogum.com/1820955/new-alice-in-chains-book-reveals-courtney-loves-suspicion-that-kurt-cobain-didnt-commit-suicide/news/

Wash maybe once a week

Hip hop and rap has changed and helped to keep it relevant. They've got meme and joke rap now.

El Duce stated that he knew Courtney had him killed one way or the other, because she approached him to do it but he declined. Then he mysteriously got hit by a train and died two days later.

No, you originally said "isn't it weird that alt rock became such a cultural force?" And then went on to say it'd be like DIIV getting a number one, and I said and proved why that wasn't weird and why it's not like that at all, and then you sperged out and began misspelling things and trying to defend your non-point. It would not be "pure 90s", because DIIV has literally 0 chance of ever being that big, and it makes perfect sense bands like Nirvana and Alice In Chains got big in that time.

this

dude literally died doing what he loved most

So she approached some random nobody to kill a man who at the time was the most famous rock star in the entire world.

whew

What's it like to have Courtney live in your head rent free?

Fuck off, Alice In Chains were the only good band to come out of "the grunge scene".

They were heavy as shit and wrote some fucking dark material, Pearl Jam were pure buttrock, Nirvana were "le edgy underground Seattle sound XD" and Soundgarden were average at best.

he honestly doesn't seem the type.

not that that ever stopped anyone.

>all these grunge guys keep killing themselves
>foo fighters still going

what if "foo" is suicidal ideation? that's why dave grohl is still around. so foo fighting=going against suicidal ideation of other grunge acts..

grunge was never anything more than a major label marketing term anyway
most of those bands were completely unrelated to each other in terms of sound
alice in chains and soundgarden were metal bands, nirvana was college rock, mudhoney was garage punk, pearl jam were pretty typical hard rock, melvins and hole were noise rock, screaming trees were psych/garage rock etc.

it was all a meme made to sell flannel shirts and concert tickets

If these two posts are from the same person, you seriously under-investigate things before you open your mouth about them

>yfw you realize pat smear has been in two bands whose frontmen killed themselves

we'll see whether Dave managed to break the curse or not

really activates my almonds

>melvins
>noise rock

other than that you're pretty much on the money

>They were heavy as shit and wrote some fucking dark material

edgy 15 yo metal head confirmed

Alice In Chains weren't really that "heavy" musically, and while they might have been "heavy" subject matter wise, they were really corny about it, as expected from former glam guys. You are correct about Pearl Jam, they were actually more proto-butt rock though.

Your criticism of Nirvana is practically non-existent. And Soundgarden were better than average.

They're from Seattle so it's in their DNA to kill themselves (except Eddie Vedder because the Pearl Jam guys got him from San Diego when their original frontman died of heroin OD)

uhhh can't even provide a proper response, you definitely didn't know about the book. courtney should have been pushing the suicide narrative, instead she was frantically calling people that were strangers to her hoping they knew anything about him getting murdered

u tried

Out of Pearl Jam's good albums only Ten resembles buttrock

>aic wasnt heavy

They really weren't that heavy. In the "grunge" scene sure but in the grand scheme of things not really

God that shit makes me cringe, like Thom Yorke hated playing Creep. Get the fuck over it. You chose that fucking job. You wrote the song, you sent it out to hundreds of thousands of people, and it's an amazing un fucking believable job for somebody to have.

>Mfw I saw him 3 times on 3 different tours in the last 4 years
>Mfw I killed him

The book, the book, the book. Get any other research done, or is that all you need? And if that IS all you've got, have you considered she may have actually been making sure to hide any tracks, under the guise of frantically caring about her soon-to-be ex-husband? According to this 2nd/3rd/4th hand claim that could easily be the case, especially when coupled with the piles of evidence you clearly haven't even heard about.

truly a miserable life

It was bullshit when he dropped this precious line: 'I consider my rating system relatively objective'

99% of everything you read on here, or anywhere else for that matter, is bullshit, the only thing separating posts apart are how comically serious the poster takes himself. I don't even know anymore.

Art can be objectively graded. Sorry you fell for the post-modern meme

>be edgy struggling musician who doesn't want to be famous
>make music that any pleb can enjoy
How ridiculous, even Pavement is harder to get into than Nirvana or Soundgarden

lol

>he brings up memes now after baiting with objectivity
postmodernity really has jumbled your popcultural bearings son

drugs are bad. "grunge" stars were the last rockstars so they had no idea how they were supposed to handle themselves. they took everything way too seriously and didn't know the meaning of moderation

also grunge isn't a real genre

yes a book that was published containing information that was "hidden" for 20+ years, a book that she had nothing to do with. i don't know what 2nd/3rd/4th/ claim you're talking about when they talked to layne's stepdad himself and it wasn't even the point of the interview or book it just came up.

meanwhile you're just spouting bullshit providing nothing. "soon-to-be ex-husband". care to provide some documents supporting that (:

anyway since you seem to have all this exclusive evidence no one else has access to you better go take it to the authorities. good luck!

t. mad SG Fan
dude where's your argument.jpg

im sorry did you consider what you were doing one?
>arguing
>with opinions
o dood seriously my dod

>Hole were also considerably bigger than Nirvana when Courtney and Kurt met up
That's just flat out untrue.

Staley had a one in a million voice.

Literally a once in a lifetime voice, only rivaled by voices of the caliber of Morrison or Danzig.

>forgetting Scott FUCKING Weiland
>who also killed himself

AiC>>>>STP>>>>Nirvana>>>>Soundgarden

GRUNGE IS LITERALLY MORE DANGEROUS THAN BEING A BLOOD DIAMOND TRADER IN SOUTH AFRICA!!!

It's weird to think Staley lasted as long as he did.
When you watch some of the last recorded live footage of AIC, he already looks and sounds extraordinarily weak and decrepit.

youtube.com/watch?v=5C-4gdI7uzU
youtube.com/watch?v=__biilMpnmw
youtube.com/watch?v=Ssn9I47Tjd0

To think that he lived and kept destroying himself for 6 more years after this is pretty bleak.

(an argument) (what you said)