/daily/ - Mario Smoking Weed Edition

lmao u see this pic? lol wtf

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ek55T19hxmQ
dj-del-monte.bandcamp.com/album/80s-pop-trax
ofthebears.bandcamp.com/album/am
voidvoid.bandcamp.com/album/--9
constanzacastagnet.bandcamp.com/album/33443286
soundcloud.com/roezlf/transmission-3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

mario is chill

tupac alive in serbia!

MARIO SMOKING WEED

bepis on that beat

>post yfw

dude i never tuch drugs before but now I going to go and OD

Thanks mario

I wanna smoke wede with mario

yeah this

/daily/

Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Conflicted on this, it's really quite standard, even boring in parts, but god damn if Caramba isn't a fkn great track.

The Dubliners - The Dubliners
Anybody who hasn't listened to The Dubliners should go about seeking them out, it's like being at a drunken christmas sing-song with several cousins, five uncles and a great-grandfather who won't fucking die already.

Gang of Four - Solid Gold
It's fine, completely serviceable, which seems to be a theme with this chart

Ty Segall Band - Slaughterhouse
This guy seems a bit boring, either a trendsetter who does nothing really interesting or a trendhopper who does nothing really interesting, one can only listen to so many bands that are like, so intense or whatever man, Wave Goodbye is a fucking chune tho

What Ty have you listened to? I'm a massive fan of his

Just Emotional Mugger and Slaughterhouse (that I'm aware of, I'm told he's really prolific)

Emotional Mugger is kinda shit even as a big fan. But yeah he has a lot of albums, Emotional Mugger is a bit of a departure from his usual style and Slaughterhouse is a bit noisier.

You should give something like Melted a go if you want to try his more usual garage rock stuff before giving up on him. Or Manipulator if a bit more glam rock sounds like your thing.

He's not anything incredible like I just really like garage rock and with him being prolific he tries different styles so he's always interesting to me.

I haven't been too into his psych stuff from what I've heard, but I love songs here and there. This one's so great: youtu.be/Ek55T19hxmQ

this desqu

Yeah he can be a bit hit and miss with being so prolific but I enjoy most of it anyway and he nearly always has a few belters on every record

every solo record from his s/t through to twins is worthwhile if you're into garage rock imo plus some of his side projects

>Sophiaaaahjkl;8901 - Toilet Abstraction Tapes
>abstract hip-hop, plunderphonics, bandcamp-core, tmt-core

An interesting and entertaining listen for sure but suffers from being unfocused and lacking cohesion. This is unsurprising since the bandcamp description says the album is comprised of various songs from various times. Such is the nature of many a bandcamp release.

It is not without its moments though, especially the first track which got me to listen to it in the first place. It samples one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums: Child Soldier by Oneohtrix Point Never. Thus the track is a sample of a sample that is completely recontextualized. The beat changeup is insane. If you're a fan of OPN, I recommend listening to this song. It's the first track. Everything else while being relatively good did not capture my interest as much, and I can't really recommend checking it out unless you're really into this whole scene. I'll be keeping tabs on this producer, and I hope they continue to release cool shit.

>Cornelius - Fantasma
>Shibuya-kei, Psych-pop, Prog-pop, Plunderphonics
I always had this guy on my radar, and I loved the new track he released. This did not disappoint and was very fun to listen to. As many albums from this genre are, it's the auditory equivalent of a sugar rush. My main criticism would be that while there was a lot of sonic variety, the album could have used some variety in tempo as well. He's definitely capable of making strong, mellow songs, and this record's pacing would have seen improvement from it. Also, there is a lack of any real emotional impact. Almost every track has a candy coated gloss, but it is hollow on the inside. If I were to go off of his new single alone, the new album seemingly will fix these problems, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Alright guys, which one of Shamepai's 5/5s should I pan first?

plz do Dreams

spiritual unity, ofc

Beat Happening - Beat Happening

>Twee Pop, Lo-fi Indie

This review is for the 23-track CD version

I get what they're going for, and I don't really have a problem with that, but it's just not usually done well. Not in that the production is bad, but the singing, the playing, even most of the musical ideas and melodies aren't particularly good.

However, there are a couple good tracks, namely Bad Seeds and Foggy Eyes. That, and the album is cute, which is an interesting aesthetic to go for. But that's about it.

>2/5

Get Slanted and Enchanted out of the way because I'm certain you will hate it

Alright

Also I have no idea what to expect out of it except for that one guy with the Hawaiian shirt

LOL great meme

>guy with the Hawaiian Shirt
that's a meme

expect lo-fi slacker rock, with all the good and the bad that that schema brings

also keep in mind that at this point their drummer couldn't play so good, so they have a guy bashing a cymbal and shouting hype phrases like "I'm Trying", which is something I don't think a lot of people appreciate

No he's fucking not.

Hello?

DUDE
U
D
E

Thanks to my cat for keeping me company while I do laundry and listen to Slanted and Enchanted

Don't forget us!

You're not as cool as my cat though

Oh, I think you're cool though

really need to listen to TAT. i was just on a comp that has Sophiaaaa on it.

Yeah I know! I just listened to it. Fantastic comp, really happy with it.

haven't heard it yet myself. excited to give it a listen tonight!

emotional mugger kinda blows, check out melted. track after track of bangers.

Please keep relistening to mine and Tuco's albums until my average is greater than flippin Tuco's.
Thanks,
-Jangle

Your track was real cool. I'm loving this growing trend in glitch music. Very hard hitting.

Nothing that great really :/

>David Thomas Broughton vs. 7 Hertz – s/t
MMMMM this dude’s voice makes wanna N U T. He’s a fucking master at making these drawn-out avant-folk pieces that I feel stretch on for a really satisfying, realized amount of time. Except, on this album he doesn’t really execute it as gracefully. Most of these songs really just felt like loops like the track’s first half was just mirrored and there wasn’t much progression at all, especially the last two tracks. I’d say give this a shot if you’re really into this whole avant-folk thing or you’ve enjoyed this guy’s previous work.

>Del tha Funkeé Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here
Del’s flow sounds straight out of an educational video from the 90s about fractions or some shit, so I have absolutely no idea why I like it so much. It might have something to do with the fact that he’s an expert at owning that sort of articulation, and he’s popped up in so many different projects I love. For sure one of the best “golden-era” MCs. This album really shows a lot of his chops well, and if you’re a fan of the dude’s features I’d highly rec this, but there’s undeniably some shitty filler in the middle, and about 1/3 of the album’s hooks are just abysmal. Still a fun listen though.

>Discordance Axis - Jouhou
Much less consistent than their latter album, which is really unfortunate. There are basically zero reasons for EVERY song to be good on a grindcore album and if it’s otherwise you fucked up big time buddy. Definitely worth the listen if The Inalienable Dreamlessness was your jam. Otherwise a pretty easy pass.

1/5

>Voo Voo - Sno-powiązałka
For a polish post-punk album, this certainly didn’t satisfy me as much as I’d hoped, but it does a lot of things right. The jazz fusion + post-punk vibe really adds to an eerie atmosphere that I enjoyed the shit out of living in for about 40 minutes. There just weren’t too many tracks that were that memorable or satisfying by themselves. A good album nonetheless if you’re interested in a pretty expansive album for post-punk.

>目黒将司 - Persona 5 Original Soundtrack
Haven’t played the game yet, but I’m digging the SHIT out of this soundtrack. WARNING: only for people who have unironically jammed to Jamiroquai in their life (this is me). The Acid Jazz genre is something I see done well so rarely, so a lot of this was refreshing to hear. Nearly every theme and general song kicks so much ass, that it makes me sad that I’m rating this much lower than I want to. Because, ultimately, it has SO many OST-isms that really make it not work too well as an album. Like, okay, the title theme is great, but the four separate versions are not really needed. No one cares. People that make soundtracks listen up: JUST PUT THE SONGS PEOPLE LIKE ON AN ALBUM. YOU DON’T NEED TO REPEAT YOURSELF. NO ONE CARE. AAAAAA. Virtually zero filler, but waaaay too much repetition that I can’t recommend this to anybody who isn’t already somewhat familiar with the series or the music.

>Boredoms – Chocolate Synthesizer
Really I just view this as a collection of really awesome moments. It’s all over the place and probably the least cohesive thing ever, but it works really well for itself especially when paired with Boredoms’ attitude. They’ve done much better, especially when they stick to a few ideas thematically over the course of an LP-length, but there’s a couple good songs here.

2/5

>Morton Feldman - Rothko Chapel; Why Patterns?
Feldman is the master of crafting eerie, empty soundscapes. I really do enjoy how he uses silence to his advantage, but overall it has the disadvantage of losing my interest out of being just so empty. However, I did enjoy a really good chunk of it, especially the last half of the first piece. Rothko Chapel definitely is > Why Patterns for my money.

> Priests - Nothing Feels Natural
For a post-punk album in 2017, this does a lot of things very right. For starters, JJ and the s/t track were all great. “Suck” is probably one of my favorite tracks to come out this year. The singer overall really didn’t do it for me, and nearly every song I didn’t just mention was either just wasn’t good or had some defining bad moments. Proud of this album for the ambition it has, but “Life Without Buildings” is an example of a band that does this type of thing much better.

> Republika - 1991
Last time I reviewed a Republika album I said “When does this band start getting BAD??” and I’ve clearly found my answer in 1991. There’s a few alright pop-rock tracks, but none of it really stands on it’s own, and it’s 1000x less interesting than any album they put out before this one. The energy and the pacing were all here, but it was just more boring in general.

> Ricardo Villalobos - Achso
Idk what makes this an “EP” really. It’s fifty minutes long, although only four tracks. Perhaps it has about half of the effort as something like Alcahofa? It seems like it, as for something decently shorter, only half the tracks (1 and 3) really interested me at all. The rest had very long stretches of bland moments. Pretty passible, even if you are a bleep boi.

> Michael Gordon – Decasia
Definitely see what someone could get out of this, but after a while it just got tiring and repetitious.

3/5

> サディスティック・ミカ・バンド - 黒船
Not bad at all. In fact, it’s just pretty passible psych/funk stereotypes stretched out over the course of an LP length. Nothing extremely memorable save for tracks 2 and 5, and the B-side was extremely bland.

> Chelsea Wolfe - Ἀποkάλυψις
Very very okay goth music. It’s kind of just slower, less edgy (sadly), and less to-the-point version of early Nick Cave. I think the “atmosphere” is really shallow and doesn’t really do much for me at all honestly.

> X Japan - Art of Life
Over the course of about 29 minutes, it’s basically just a collection of some really cool moments and a whole lot of nothing in between. Butt-metal works at it’s best when it’s just unapologetic and high energy ex: Bat Outta Hell. Just listen to that song twice instead of hearing this once because that shit bangs, right?

> Jay Munly - Jimmy Carter Syndrome
See, THIS is the shit I’m talking about. I want to love Goth-Country, but so much of it is just bad to me. This is a little worse than their album just after, but all in all it just sounds like slowcore + Americana. Idk I can’t get into much of this though I really wanna.

> Univers Zéro - Ceux du Dehors
I’m not huge on Avant-Prog, but I can definitively say that the first song on this album is one of the genre’s greatest accomplishments. It’s complex, yet has an underlying sense of melody and clear progression, which is all I ask from something in this genre. The rest of the album is a giant snoozefest though. Ranges from passible to off-putting.

> Why? - Oaklandazulasylum
“Early Whitney” is uncharacteristically good. It’s pretty much one of the best emo/AnCo-esque songs out there and I’d highly recommend hearing that one track. However, I really can’t get into this style of indie-hop. I think even though I didn’t enjoy it that much, it was done much better on Alopecia. Pretty bad, but holy goddamn is that one song astounding.

4/5

>Jónsi - Go
Not THAT terrible or anything. In fact, it’s some of the greatest car commercial music put to wax. Instrumentally sound pop music, but predictable as hell, and plays itself like a nightcore post-rock album, with every song just pretty much being a faster post-rock song.

> Faxed Head - Chiropractic
Avant-Metal fronted by Strong Bad. Honestly, I didn’t even mind the second track, but the vocalist was laughably terrible and nothing instrumentally really peaked my interest. Kinda bad just stick to Gorguts or something dude.

Whut next

Laurel Halo

Dungen - Haxan

narrowing type
not pasteboard though

k love you

do the 2017 chart bich

geez you did this one fast

im on it i swear i had a busy day yesteray

daily > life

yes but tbf anything > life

Usually I'll take a few days breaks with charts, I just didn't do it much here.

tha motto

damn..

>Giovanni Lami - Bias
It feels like a standard ambient record is being drowned in tape hiss, still just below the surface. very interesting style. Feels like it will grow on me with more listens.
7/10

>Leyden Jars - Heat Death
Standard ambient dub. Think I heard a voice for a few seconds. Kinda spooky. Meh.
5/10

>Lil Yachty - Lil Boat the Mixtape
"Man, Lil Yachty is really obsessed with getting fucked, isn't he?
The crude lyrics doesn't suit the colorful production at all."
~Bishopboy1999
7/10

>C L E A N E R S - Real Raga Shit Vol. 1
Sound collage record. Lots of cool moments, but it never really finds its footing or turns into anything very interesting. Effective use of sampling though, especially that one that was some giant monologue against women that sounded like it was from a 40s movie.
6/10

>Yuka Ijichi - Peanuts Butter
Instrumentally bad. Technically adorable. Sadly not adorable enough for me to give a huge rec to. If you're into indie pop, this is probably worth the little under 30 minutes.
5/10

>Jim O'Rourke - Long Night
some people think too much about too little
some people think too little about the little things
some people don't need to sleep to get good grades
some people don't sleep and still get very bad grades
don't find a balance
don't learn from it
some people hate music
it's 3AM
spoken for the future
8/10

Some other stuff i wanna shout out from the last few days (not on the chart):
>DJ Del Monte - 80s POP TRAX
addictive footwork enfused jungley stuff, found on the backend of bandcamp. really addictive and surprisingly well produced.
dj-del-monte.bandcamp.com/album/80s-pop-trax

>ofthebears - am
Solid, short noise record made using the sounds of AM radios.
ofthebears.bandcamp.com/album/am

>空隙 - 魂
Another contender for the title of "the end of plunderphonics." starts as a kinda standard experimental vapor record. ends with your laptop melting.
voidvoid.bandcamp.com/album/--9

>Constanza Castagnet - 33443286
Electroacoustic stuff from Argentina. Good if you're getting into the genre and want something more challenging, since the vocals aren't too abstract and the sampling is fairly simple to keep track of while still being captivating.
constanzacastagnet.bandcamp.com/album/33443286

Thanks! Probably gonna have something out on that label within a few months. Expect that to be a lot more ambient though. Like, a lot more ambient. And better produced.

>MMMMM this dude’s voice makes wanna N U T.
Broughton should just front a band at this point. Would solve most all issues i have with his music.

at this point, an EP is a record the artist wants you to take on a different scale then their main work. it indicates smaller amount of ideas being expressed, disregarding how good those ideas may be.

nice opinions dipshit

thanks fullbody

I'll probably still be interested. I tend to enjoy music dealing in either extreme: really loud or really quiet

this new thing is p quiet.

>noise record made using the sounds of AM radios.
hey i have some songs made that way. me and that person's executions are quite different though, from listening to that first song.

soundcloud.com/roezlf/transmission-3
its here if anyone wants to listen

those female vocals are really interesting.

I miss the days when whenever I was bored, I could just go on Sup Forums and find hours upon hours of entertainment. Now I just come here to make a shitpost and then barely look at the responses. And I'm so bored.

>new Burial review

I have recently been thinking of Burial records as of phantom memories of different locations that reverberate in static and surrounding sounds. It sort of does work better with his latest materials, where it is more about the ambience and not about the nightlife echoes that have been loaded all over his post-garage material up to Rival Dealer.

Well Young Death/Nightmarket didn’t really work that well.

Subtemple, however, seems to find a certain ground of hypnotic simplicity (the clock ticking, the three-note toy piano) and the standard ghostly vocals of various artists. The two major minimalist elements make this track memorable unlike the previous ambient effort by Burial and it is a pleasant feeling. It's a great track.

Beachfires spends some time searching for some purpose, sounding like some transitional sections from his older material. The reverberated vocals give it some sense of majesty, but it falls short of establishing anything memorable. Then it just seems to follow a copy-paste technique of hollow ambient. Just feels like he was gasping for ideas. It still has some emotional depth to it, but Burial always managed to flesh out a sense of progression in his symphonies of loneliness. Kindred EP, Truant/Rough Sleeper and Rival Dealer jumped from one soundscape to another with a sense of purpose. Feeding me with Beachfires after that just seems tasteless.

I enjoyed the first track very much, the second was just hollow in terms of content.

Interested to see where he goes next though.

6-/10

hahahaha have you seen this lol

MAC NIGGER

Just stop being lazy hamp and read something, go Garden, record an onkyo album for the memes, meditate, sleep, etc

cry me a river faggot

Sup Forums is a million times better now that it's all trap and shitposts rather than indie pop and actual bad posts

Steeeek

>I have recently been thinking of Burial records as of phantom memories of different locations that reverberate in static and surrounding sounds.
Holy fucking shit what a word sallad lmao.
Hilarious.
>read something,
I don't feel like reading anything in my book shelf right now.
>go Garden
what?
>record
Too late for that, my neighbours will be upset. Also my amplifier isn't here.
>meditate
Boring
>sleep
Depressing

It's funny because I didn't say anything about Sup Forums at all.

What's it like having a country being overrun by muslims?

I don't know, but I'm sure you're really eager to tell me!

You're a word salad

thanks man talk to you later alrigth

hey doggy! I got to see Jandek live last week, it was fucking crazy

how r u

Dog wander I'm so glad you loved partites for violin, have you heard the cello suites? You should check out the ones done by Fournier

As much as people meme him, I think it would be really interesting to drone AntiWarhol. I like all the dub techno he likes and I'm sure I'd like more of it.

Do you think maybe people are just baited a little less easy?

Not at all, I think it's entirely on me. I've changed, and I'm just not amused by the same things as Sup Forums anymore.

I guess I am literally growing old.

>with every song just pretty much being a faster post-rock song.
>implying that this isn't a good thing

What do you think I should check out first? The plunderphonics one jumped out at me but are these all decent

Rip

I'm beginning to believe that dub techno is the worse serious genre in electronic music

Del Monte is my favorite of the bunch. do that and the plunderphonics one first. should be about 50 minutes combined between the two.

yeah dude dub techno sucks. also 22 a million is a 10/10

I loved Partitas since i was a kid cause the second one is my mom's favorite practice piece for violin :) this specific version was awesome

I haven't, will add to my backlog!

Also of course people don't get baited by me anymore, since I've "come out" as a baiter. People are simply on guard more.

I've considered getting a new tripname and starting anew to see if that's more fun.

That's awesome, jelly! Did he do a solo guitar set?

I'm ok, just depressed a lot lately but there's always some light to everything so I just keep on moving

There is honestly no excuse to be bored ever.
Take up a hobby or read a book idiet.

>endon - through the mirror
i really don't like noisecore/grindcore/screamy aaaaaa music and this isn't any exception. there's some melodic motion throughout but it doesn't do enough to redeem how boring it is.

22, A million is not a 10/10

Its just very enjoyable

Will do

See Also I'm a normie now, I'm usually bored when I'm alone. I'll post a photo of my bookshelf in a moment, someone can pick a book from that.

o shit
my bad for thinking that you considered an album you rated 5 stars out of 5 a 10/10

Actually nvm, I tried and even with my DSLR the spines aren't really readable on all books.

There is no 10/10 album ya stupe

And there never will be because nobody can completely objectively rate music

that doesn't make any sense

Poor doggy :c
hang in there

he had a full band. Bass, guitar, guy programming drums/noise stuff.
It was really bizarre funk stuff with like 90's club rhythms. but all the songs were super long and he would just ramble off key for a while, do an interpretive dance, then sit down in a chair on the side of the stage. There was also a girl he did duets with that was p good.

not what I expected at all

who cares about objectivity lmao

Yes clearly that list exhausts every possible option, have fun staring at a wall then I guess.

My main redirect was that it's too late at night now, I can't really do anything that makes sound. I was considering hitting the pub, but I don't really have money for that.

I don't which is why my "10/10" albums are just albums I enjoy unconditionally

Mhm

why dont you just call them 10/10 without the quotes then

I'm trying

That was probably Sterling's wife. Sheila has been partying with him for a couple of years now. She's pretty cool