I loved DSU but slept on Alex G since then. His last record bored me, felt like a rehash...

I loved DSU but slept on Alex G since then. His last record bored me, felt like a rehash, and I was hoping for a huge step forward.

Well Rocket IS that huge step forward. First album I've heard this year that had me smiling front to back, not a bad track nor even a bad moment on this thing. AOTY for me so far right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nFzWojaY_rc&t=839s
www72.zippyshare.com/v/GCa9C6Hx/file.html
calebchase.bandcamp.com/album/caleb-chase
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've only listened to race before and damn Alex has improved a lot.

New Will Toledo when

lol fuck Will.
Alex G was superior from day one.

listening to this feels like uncovering footage a sing along with a young Elliott Smith. youtube.com/watch?v=nFzWojaY_rc&t=839s

Alex is immensely talented and just enough of an oddball to do his own thing without anybody questioning it. I don't think Rocket will propel him into the limelight or anything, but for anyone who'sa fan of his style, this is a clear evolution and just a great fucking record.

never heard of this guy before mu started talking about this album. but i downloaded it last night because i loved the single. i thought the whole thing was pretty good until brick came on. i had to check my itunes to make sure it hadn't changed to a different artist.

who the hell does this guy think he is? that was some of the most tasteless, immature garbage i've ever heard. sportstar is almost just as bad.

it's like he's so cocky he thinks he can pull off going from mellow indie and country to deathgrips-style noise rap and then braindead drake-ish dancehall

he's obviously a talented songwriter but holy shit this asshole needs to stay in his lane.

>Not a bad track

I'd agree with you if Sportstar didn't exist.

Idk, now he's gotten BNM I think he'll see a nice boost in his popularity. Not mainstream or anything but I think he's going to become a bigger name in the scene than he has been. Makes me kinda sad because he felt like a kind of secret that only I and some other fans knew about but also happy because he deserves the success.

I honestly really liked Sportstar.

If he didn't do this, I would not have maintained that smile on my face. I probably would have gotten bored and turned it off. If you had listened to his music previously, you'd know he's tapped into all of these genres before, but never fully committing to one on each track as he does here. It is a little jarring when there are alt-country tracks to start off the record and then that barrage, but he's always inserted some dissonance or confounding elements to his music.
I think he just doesn't want to be typecast as a slacker rocker when he's already been collaborating with guys like Frank Ocean. His abilities really do go a lot farther than that.

#
>brick is death grips style noise rap and not just drawn from his emotive hardcore influences

God Sup Forums is dumb

dsu is his worst record tho.

BLASPHEMY

Wow objectively wrong

I feel the same way. super stoked about him getting more recognition but im just dreading having conversations about him with P4K dickriders at shows that i already know are gonna pretend like Rocket is his "masterwork" or something bcuz it got BNM

t.p4kdrones

>but im just dreading having conversations about him with P4K dickriders at shows that i already know are gonna pretend like Rocket is his "masterwork" or something bcuz it got BNM
lets be honest. you're the kid at shows who doesn't say a word. fuck off

post a link plz

Jeez, that's a bit random and harsh

Do you mean to the album?

Here ya go, m8
www72.zippyshare.com/v/GCa9C6Hx/file.html

Pitchfork rated Rocket higher than DSU tho user

Did I hit a nerve there buddy?

t. Contrarian

Trick>DSU>Race>Rocket>Rules

And Rules is still the shit

such a good discography

Ey what about Beach Music? D:

oh shit oops lol i actually love beach music

Probably be between DSU and Race but that still doesnt seem right..

Its hard to rank his stuff for me because every album is so fucking solid IMO

Agreed man, loved that album as well. I still need to listen to half of his albums

Trick and Race are really the standouts for me from his older catalog. Both are sooo good. Rules is great too (Mis is one of his best songs imo) but not as consistent as the former two.

the structure of the album is a rocket's path with the most intense song in the middle (the apex)

alex is a genius fuck you

Alex g is my lord and savour of lofi

Agreed. For me:

Race>Trick>Rules>RL Kelly Split>DSU>Easy>Beach Music>Winner

Only listened to Rocket a couple of times, but so far I think it might actually surpass Race. So good.

tru alex g ranking
Trick > Rocket = DSU > Rules > Beach Music = Race

Trick and beach music, r l Kellys split was dope, his unreleased shit is dope, (Nintendo 64)

He better review it

oh SHIT, mfw Brick comes on. very solid album despite the disparate sounds here. DSU will always be a personal 10/10 as it's been a part of so many uncertain times in my life, but this is just further testimony to his ability of crafting unique lo-fi hit after unique lo-fi hit.

I want to be clear the production is a step up and I'm not sure what to make of it, but it's still got the signature Alex G sound despite the upgrade.

its shit

It's all recorded by him too, on garageband

i found it dull af. only liked the death grips esque track

i dont dislike alex g but i dont feel anything about him is unique. hes just handsome enough to market this type of stuff.

>habosom

He looks autistix

The track horse

HOLY FUCK

i want to fuck him tho

same

The track rocket

POWERFUL MAN

>not listening to the superior lo-fi mumble sad white bedroom guy album

I just know Fantano will give it a fucking 4 or something, or dismiss it in a yunoreview. Just you watch.

no

besides alex g isn't even white ya dumb boob

he sucks dude

>Not putting the album name in as the filename when the album doesn't have its name on the art

inb4 "Just reverse image search." It's just the polite thing to do

Not to mention tineye doesn't give anything back for the image -.-

calebchase.bandcamp.com/album/caleb-chase

Love you.

Sorry man but this is no Alex G.

yeah its better

its not great but better than alex g tbqh. which isnt saying all that much

Me too. He's significantly better looking in person

Disappointing. Loved Bobby and Proud. Expected more like it and got some weak tracks. I've loved everything he's released previous but this feels like a step backwards.

I agree

Alex g's album rocket is like 30% good

I loved everything except the singing
What an awful voice and lyrics
Instrumental tracks were top notch though

that you call it deathgrips style shows that you are a very stupid person.