Pet Sounds

It's pretty shitty. I don't understand why people suck its dick. It only has two decent tracks on the whole album. Am I missing something?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yea

It's historically important as one of the first records of the "album era". Before that, most bands were focusing on singles instead.

Which two tracks are decent?

all of them
10/10 gaoat

Sloop John B and God Only Knows

so was the first beach boys album and that one isn't acclaimed by anyone but grandmas who think The Beach Boys are another pop band.

Well you're missing taste, that's for sure.

*deletes Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)*

What are your favorite albums bud?

Ones that are likely better than your favorites.

try me. whats your top 5?

You may feel this way now because you're young and uncultured. I felt similar. Come back to it in a few years. I now think it's the best album ever recorded. It's remarkable how much more music you'll enjoy when you're older and more open minded about things.

1. listen to it in mono
2. read about its vast history/background/recording process
3. sing along

then you'll get it

It's better in stereo. One of the few 60s records that is

Can we all agree Don't Talk is thhe best song?

>listening to an album recorded and mixed in mono in stereo
>not knowing that brian wilson is deaf in one ear and he recorded pet sounds accordingly

>one of
>most

The Pet Sounds stereo mix makes it better. You really think mono does those arrangements justice? It's not garage rock

The Mark Linett versions have too many digital filters applied for pleb consumption, only the MFSL stereo + DCC mono are good

Better album tbqh

>You really think mono does those arrangements justice? It's not garage rock
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound

the album is supposed to be heard like it's on a conveyor belt at a constant speed; instrumental colors that sound like they're swimming at the bottom of a well.

Your brain is missing yes. isnt the fact that were discussing it 50 years later enough to prove its influence. no ones forcing you to love it. edgy teenagers only criticism is 'its shitty'. ugh never share your opinion again pls

Keep spamming memes and cats, doesn't make you right. You probably listen to vinyl too faggot

cat

you can't argue with the facts hombre
and no i don't listen to vinyl
you probably suck penis and drink crappy beer

mmmmm Caroline no is better m8

>implying "You Still Believe in Me" isn't a fucking masterpiece

Except for Sloop John B, this is a fucking 10/10.

Unfortunate for you that you can't appreciate it OP, but I'm sure you have some garbage you enjoy in its place so all is right with the world.

Sloop John B has been the ultimate pleb filter 41 years and counting kek

>Not God Only Knows or I'm Waiting For The Day

>I'm Waiting For The Day
nah this is in the bottom half of the tracks

GOD TIER:
Don't Talk
God Only Knows
Caroline No
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Wouldn't It Be Nice

Weakest tracks:
Sloop John B
Pet Sounds
I Know There's an Answer
Here Today

>Bottom half

No way man, that outro is so good

this but pet sounds should be in god tier

>Wilson's symphonic arrangements wove elaborate layers of vocal harmonies, coupled with sound effects and unusual instruments such as bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, Electro-Theremin, trains, Hawaiian-sounding string instruments, Coca-Cola cans, and barking dogs, along with the more usual keyboards and guitars.
>For Pet Sounds, Wilson's goal was to create "the greatest rock album ever made" — a personalized work with no filler tracks.
>Pet Sounds is regarded by musicologists as an early concept album that advanced the field of music production, introducing non-standard harmonies and timbres, and incorporating elements of pop, jazz, exotica, classical, and the avant-garde. A heralding work of psychedelic rock, the album signaled an aesthetic trend within rock by transforming it from dance music into music that was made for listening to, elevating itself to the level of art rock. Author Bill Martin said that within Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys "brought expansions in harmony, instrumentation (and therefore timbre), duration, rhythm, and the use of recording technology. Of these elements, the first and last were the most important in clearing a pathway toward the development of progressive rock."
every track has at least 12 people playing the weirdest combination of instruments, theremin with harpsichord, clarinets with prepared pianos, French horn with accordion, etc. and it's all filtered into one weird tone color. this is what cements it in the genre because there is no pop music that really *sounds* like this save for phil spector's songs, but they were often very simple in structure and still only used pianos, guitars, strings, and latin percussion.

the album can't be reduced to a collection of psychedelic quirks (like Sgt. Pepper), because there are no attempts at distortion and very little reliance on tape effects and simple overdubbing tricks

The part that you're missing is that there are actually no good tracks on this joke of an album.

I can understand your frustration and confusion.
I don't think it's shitty but I don't think it's all that great either even though the album itself was very influential on a lot of bands/musicians when it came out but the general public and Beach Boys fans in general didn't like it when it came out.

I think part of the appeal of the album is that Brian Wilson was so moved by listening to Rubber Soul by The Beatles that he realized that the world of modern music was progressing forward at such a speed that The beach Boys would be left behind if they didn't catch up. It was most certainly different from anything The Beach Boys released prior. I still can't understand how this album influenced the writing/recording of Sgt Pepper which I think is far superior but Pet Sounds is "Comfy" at best. Not a bad album but I too don't understand al the hype around it.

I do not drink crappy beer

>it's a "pleb tries to make sense of an album he doesn't understand" episode

>Tfw non musicians will never appreciate this album as much as those that do play

This.

It's OK, user. It happens. Most people also don't understand how amazing some classical music really is.

If you're naturally predisposed to dislike pop music it might take a dozen or so listens until you get it.
I listened to it from start to finish two dozen times over a period of 2 years until I started finding myself humming some of the songs and then it hit me that the album deserves all of it's acclaim, something pretty fucking rare desu.
It's easily in my top 10 favourite albums of all time and I'm not even an american.

This. Albums like Pet sounds needs to be listened to more than once. Keep on listening, Op. If you're not a faggot with contrarian taste, it'll click.

Listen to this or Smiley Smile instead

>Everybody sucking this albums dick

>Meanwhile in 1966 this came out, the first concept album,one of the the first double albums in rock as well, also brought distorted guitar to mix before Jimi Hendrix ever even had a band (Frank introduced Jimi to a lot of distortion techniques).

>mono
Pet Sounds in stereo is my all time favorite album, Pet Sounds in mono is like a strong 4/10 desu

The title track in this album is a fucking masterpiece and a million times better than God Only Knows, it really just shows you how pleb and memey Sup Forums actually is, its like they go on rolling stones and look up what the best albums are.

Just another Sup Forums me, don't worry you ain't missing anything. It's basically a way to suck The Beatles dicks without looking like Redditors.

>pic relevant

Thank you. There are still good people in this world. Anyone not picking You Still Believe In Me hasnt reached 1000 listens or has terminally shit taste.

Wilson really did have some freaky shit going on in his head (freaky as in good in this case), Lennon and McCartney were NEVER as intricate as he was

Bob Dylan said that his "ear" was so amazing that it should be donated to the Smithsonian