Patrician choice: The Searchers

Patrician choice: The Searchers.
Plebian choice: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

The Searchers is just about as fake patrician as it gets.
Once Upon A Time In The West is the real patrician choice here.

Care to explain your logic, partner?

k

Shut up pleb

Dayum, beat me to it

Emperor's choice-The Wild Bunch

Patrician choice: Pic related

Plebian choice: everything else

Shane
SHANE
SHAAANE
SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE

Absolutely Based Choice: Pic Related

What if you go~
What if you stay~
I love you~

There was a never a maaaan, like my Johnny...

Like the one they call...
THE BULL AND THE BEAR

Neither of these mpvies are good

What in the wide wide world of sports is a-goin' on here?! I hired you people to try to get a little track laid, not to jump around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots!

>not liking the good, the bad and the ugly
is this Sup Forums trolling again? one of the best movies ever made tbqh

It's popular and Tarantino champions it, which is as far as most memers here know. So, to be cool they dissent.

>Once Upon A Time
The definition of pleb

Ave

>Watching old westerns

Why would you put yourself through that?

I enjoyed The Searchers,but I couldn't really buy Wayne's bigotry. The man just seems so righteous, I know he's a racist, I just can't buy it.

*patrician choice: For a Few Dollars More

Real Patrician choice right here

I thought this was the best bit of acting The Duke ever did. He's charismatic and commanding but once you strip away the charm and confidence you see how bloodthirsty and hateful he is. Ultimately Wayne isn't a great actor, but the script gave him the right things at the right time where Wayne just had to be himself. Like the beginning where the posse is debating what to do now that they found an Indian corpse and Ethan charges in and starts shooting it to pieces; that's the intersection of command and brutality.

I remember when I was 12

I think you can understand his bloodthirstiness: they did rape and kill his nephew, niece, brother and sister in law.

Then they tricked out his remaining niece to become an Indian whore.

Stagecoach > The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance > The Searchers

The Searchers is the prettiest one but it sure as hell isn't Ford's finest work with John Wayne.

Does that make it right? That's why it works so well, we understand why he does it and he never really stops being the hero, but we can also see how until the final moment he had real evil in his heart. That's kind of the point of the movie, to show what kind of inhumanity was necessary to be a hero in those times.

>not Winchester '73

>The Searchers.
the acting is hilarious in that, especially the guy that accompanies john wayne on the search

>partician
You mean hipster. Is that what you are?

>They're out there in the land of the savages, and won't stop 'til that little girl's back home.
>Who?
>The Searchers

And dropped. Patrician? Yeah, no.

>Does that make it right?

Of course it does. Might makes right.

High Noon is all I need to say

I'm the only patrician in this thread.

A Patrician can at least spell the world "Plebeian".

Yeah this, desu.

You. I like you. I was JUST about to post that.

Saying The Searchers is better than The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is not a contrarian position.

The Searchers is the ultimate pleb filter.
>filters out bros who don't like older movies
>filters out try-hards who think westerns need to be all dark and gritty
>filters out idiots who complain about the "racism" while completely missing the point.

Thank you John Ford. Thank you John Wayne.

Is there a list of must see westerns?

That's a good point.

partician choice: family guy man in wild west

>american westerns

lel, you want me to fall asleep?

Theres a reason why spaghetti westerns elevated the genre to climax and then buried it.

maybe you're cold
but you're so warm...
inside..

Do you think Ethan left because he accepted he could not live among good people, or did he leave because he realized how he almost killed his niece/daughter and went on a journey of repentance?

This desu

Kinotograph conoisseur choice: A fistful

I thought we all agreed that John Wayne is an overrated meme. Dude is charismatic but a dud of an actor.

Was Cowboy Fistman the original M A D M A N?

I don't know, but I'll give you some starters. Maybe someone else can make an image for you.

John Ford, the Western King:
The Searchers
Stagecoach
My Darling Clementine (the pre-release version that's included on most DVDs)
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

Howard Hawks:
Red River (the theatrical version is the true director's cut)
Rio Bravo

Other Studio Classics:
High Noon
Shane
Johnny Guitar

Leone Spaghetti Westerns:
The Dollars Trilogy: (A Fistful of Dollars; For a Few Dollars More; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)
Once Upon a Time in the West

Other Revisionist Classics:
The Wild Bunch
Unforgiven
McCabe & Mrs. Miller

He isn't an actor, he plays John Wayne in all of his films. The only reason you like him is if you like John Wayne himself, not his acting abilities.
This is why

>tfw no Swedish-American farmer gal to sit on your face

He has realized that he has become what he feared most for his niece, a savage. He is now doomed to wander between the winds.

It's been hot as fuck in my house for a few weeks, and it really enhances these kinds of films

more like he couldnt live among civilized people. the cabin and its inhabitants represents the future, and as an embodiment of America's past, he cannot enter the future he helped make possible

That's an interesting interpretation. I disagree because it paints Ethan in too a positive light than I think Ford intended. But still interesting.

I think it's sadder and more personal than that. Consider how the door literally closes on him as he leaves. It can be expanded into a metaphor on the atrocities that built America, but the man himself has nothing anymore because he chose to seek blood instead of his niece/daughter. As much as he pretended it was for revenge, for his family, all he cared about was continuing the violence he had participated in for almost fifteen years. There was no place for him in a family.

If you want to do a meditation on hatred, consider that Natalie Wood was the last good thing he ever made, and consider how driven he was to kill her.

Yup.

Damn this is a great list. Good work on having taste.