Everyone always makes fun of us because we don't actually discuss music...

Everyone always makes fun of us because we don't actually discuss music, but what does an actual music discussion look like?

desu it seems like it can't go beyond, "I like these sounds" or "I don't like these sounds." I know there are album reviews, but I've never seen stuff that's more than just descriptions. I know you can discuss things like musical technique and genre, but it will all still boil down to "I like these sounds," or "I don't like these sounds."

It just seems like a waste of time to try and talk about music beyond fun memes or recommendations. The rest is too subject to personal taste.

Its almost entirely relative so that's why aotw and aoty threads are so critical. Even then its incredibly difficult but what's even more difficult is to appreciate everything on our own.

However just inherently the first question is arrangement vs composition. But even then thatsbjust one aspect. I think the simplest most immediate change we could make is nsfw. There's really no reason not to do it.

>it seems like it can't go beyond, "I like these sounds" or "I don't like these sounds."
And this is how I know you're a teenager who doesn't know shit about music.

Discuss the chord progression.
Discuss the cultural context.
Discuss the lyrics.
Discuss the instruments used.
Discuss the chemistry of the musicians.
Discuss the rhythm or meter.
Compare it to similar works.
Et cetera.

>"I like these sounds" or "I don't like these sounds."
You talk about bands and their songs, saying you like specific sounds is harshly exposing your power level to the normie public.

How is this different from/tv/?

spot on lol

>but it will all still boil down to "I like these sounds," or "I don't like these sounds."

This is exactly why this board is so shit; I think the majority of people think like you.

It SHOULD boil down to WHY I like these sounds or WHY I DON'T like these sounds. But it almost never does. It always just becomes varying degrees of "what I like is good" and "what I don't like is bad."

/jazz/ general is one of the only places where I've seen any decent discussion and even there its rare.

real music discussion is fairly boring and people want entertaining discussions. music is a thing to be experienced, not discussed. it's tough to discuss what is basically a bunch of sounds. it doesn't help that music taste is subjective and everyone experience the same piece of music in different ways.

Sup Forums was doomed from day 1 because of that. btw artist discussion is allowed too on Sup Forums.

>It just seems like a waste of time
actually it is a waste of time.

>It SHOULD boil down to WHY I like these sounds or WHY I DON'T like these sounds.
that's the hardest part. how could you explain something so abstract without reverting to "i enjoy those cool sounds"? if you're using technical lingo you will talk to yourself because very few people have music theory knowledge.

This board might be autistic as fuck, but it greatly diversified my taste in music.

Most of things are how music works, but it doesn't explain why it sounds good or not. No one ever uses those things to explain why it sounds good, and if they try it's like, okay so the song has a I-II-III chord progression... so what?

First and foremost this place should be about helping each other to discover music. Really no discussion required. This place should be 90% generals but no one wants to do it for some reason. I made a thread for this week's releases and at the same time there were about 5 threads up for albums released this week with each thread only having maybe ten posts on average. That all could have been in one thread. Leaks do complicate this specific example but still.

>Most of things are how music works, but it doesn't explain why it sounds good or not.
this. they're just descriptors. this stuff belongs to an encyclopedia. how fun is to discuss encyclopedia articles?

>if you're using technical lingo you will talk to yourself because very few people have music theory knowledge.
A few people on this board have knowledge of theory, or at least understand it enough to discuss music intelligently. Really they're the only ones worth "discussing music" with anyway.

yes, music discovery should be the primary reason to exist of this board. finding more music to listen and hopefully enjoy. anything else is just extra. the discussions about chord progressions help (?) only musicians, not mere listeners. the meme threads are just for fun.

You can expand upon saying that you like it by going in-depth about how it makes you feel.

but "discussing music" is kinda a waste of time in any case, right?

knowing what does/doesn't work and why can be very useful when you're making your own music. also discussing music can help you find new stuff

Not if you're the kind of person who likes to analyze things and find out why and how they work.

you have a good point.

Why would you want to do that? It's like taking apart a fan. So what? All it does is it blows air, and you don't have to take it apart to make it blow air any better. In fact you might even break it trying to take it apart...

If nobody ever took apart fans and figured out how they worked then nobody would ever build new fans and improve upon their design, or incorporate fans into more complex machines

How does understanding how something works ruin the enjoyment derived from said thing? That doesn't make any sense

Think of it as a magic trick. Because that's literally what music is.

Yeah... kids under 10 think it's actual magic whereas anybody above that age tries to figure out how the trick works.

sometimes by deconstructing music you take away the magic. imagine you're a cgi effects maker for a film. do you think you would be able to look at a film without seeing all computer generated graphics flaws in it? i highly doubt it. the magic is gone.

No thanks

More like they have a greater appreciation for the movie because they recognize and understand all the hard work that went into creating those CGI shots and are probably eager to watch the movie again and figure out exactly how those shots were created and/or how they could have been done better.

coming from someone with background in music/film industry and electronic,acoustic,music science. plus big record collector

If you truly believe that whether or not you "like" something is relevant discussion in any way whatsoever you are a hopeless individual. I would suggest that you truly practice listening. Understanding pitch, frequencies, acoustic spaces, synthetic vs analytical listening. and read pierre schaffers writings about "sound objects". Learning to truly listen to something and understand it on a deeper level will add so much to your life and your enjoyment of music its unbelievable. Once you have learned to truly listen you will understand what there is to discuss about music.

you sound pretentious, desu.

>someone with background in music/film industry and electronic,acoustic,music science. plus big record collector
sure, neet.

Learn some critical theory retard

You are the cancer that killed Sup Forums

>killed Sup Forums
you're still posting on Sup Forums, idiot

That's such bullshit. You try to figure out how card tricks work? Bullshit

We cant discuss music because some faggot will pop up and say
>LMAO LET IT CLICK
>LISTEN TO IT ONE (1) MORE TIME
>CMON HAVE YOUR HEARD IT ENOUGH OF TIMES
>ITS A GROWER!!

>discuss these things
>get called pretentious because plebs on Sup Forums can't understand basic musical terminology, get told none of that matters anyway because whatever you were discussing is "entry-level" or some other non-criticism
Sup Forums sucks

>Everyone always makes fun of us because we don't actually discuss music

Sup Forums never does, obviously I don't know about other boards as I don't waste my time lurking on stupid boards, but all I can say is whoever says Sup Forums and Sup Forums aren't helpful and or absolute garbage boards is just edgy 12 yo kid, who himself is only looking for meme albums and frog posting or Bane posting and dubs, nothing else from Sup Forums and or Sup Forums

How is he wrong?

There he is

A chord progression of I-II-III is incredibly jarring yet since they're all major chords and it ends on a chromatic medians relation, it has a very rapturous effect. Someone would likely use it to put special emphasis on lyrics that are disorienting or ecstatic.

This is why I rarely bother with this board. It's a bunch of opinion post with no substance, and rarely do I see threads on actually being a musician. It just seems to mostly be a bunch of childish posers pretending to know what they're talking about

>Sup Forums sucks
then why are you still there? you know how mu operates. if you don't like it, leave it.

fuck off kid

you're looking for a musicians' board, not a listener's board. Sup Forums is clearly on the second category. musicians care about chords and technical stuff. for your ordinary listener they don't matter at all when they could simply listen to that music.

listeners generally want gossip not technical stuff.

that escalated quickly

>you're looking for a writer's board, not a reader's board. /lit/ is clearly on the second category. writers care about prose and technical stuff. for your ordinary listener they don't matter at all when they could simply read that book
>readers generally want gossip not technical stuff.
>you're looking for a cook's board, not an eater's board. /ck/ is clearly on the second category. cooks care about recipes and technical stuff. for your ordinary eater they don't matter at all when they could simply eat that food
>eater generally want gossip not technical stuff.

etc etc

exactly. a music board is not necessarily a gathering of musicians discussing technical stuff. it's just a bunch of listeners trying to discuss a highly subjective art form that consists of sounds.

that's why on all those boards you mentioned the bulk of discussions aren't technical, but the same daily gossip. that's why daily mail sell much more than the economist.

people just want to be entertained and hopefully learn some useful things (e.g. recommendations). that's the main reason people even post on art related boards. demand and offer.

I think the point is that /lit/, despite being a reader's board, actually has some substantial discussion, unlike Sup Forums.

You don't always need highly technical terms to explain why you like something. It's really not that hard unless you're a tard

>I think the point is that /lit/, despite being a reader's board, actually has some substantial discussion, unlike Sup Forums.
because it's easier to discuss literature than to discuss music. literature already consists of words and stories while music is... just a bunch of sounds.

discussing sounds is much harder than it seems. sometimes i wonder how music reviewers could write so much stuff about music. then i realized that the majority of their reviews is about cultural context, artist bio, similar artists and lyrics. very little about how the actual music sounds like. pick any review and see for yourself.

as a matter of fact, explain why do you like your favorite album. practice what you preach.

That's because you're a rockist. Read an analysis of any work of classical music and the reviewer will be focusing on the music.

Your analogy is also false. Properly critiquing literature requires some knowledge of literary theory, just as properly critiquing music requires some knowledge of music theory.

>then i realized that the majority of their reviews is about cultural context, artist bio, similar artists and lyrics. very little about how the actual music sounds like. pick any review and see for yourself.
Sounds like you're just listening to shitty music, for which there are only shitty reviews

>That's because you're a rockist.
stop making baseless assumptions.

>Read an analysis of any work of classical music and the reviewer will be focusing on the music.
seriously? classical is just a music category and not even a fresh one. what about modern music (the one who generates the biggest interest)?

>Sounds like you're just listening to shitty music, for which there are only shitty reviews
stop making baseless assumptions.

It's not baseless when you say "pick any review and see for yourself."

Try reading some music reviews by George Bernard Shaw (who wasn't even a musician btw) and you will see that this simply isn't true.

How do you express exactly why you like a melody or a rhythm or someone's voice? It's hard

show me a musicians board, I'd rather be there

It's 6am and I haven't slept but ok

My favourite album is probably Daft Punk's Homework. It was the first album I ever got super into as a kid, and it probably introduced me to a lot of things I would seek for in other music. Rollin' and Scratchin' was mindblowing and made me interested in more noisey experimental-er music. I'd never heard anything that went as hard as that screeching synth before. How it built up and up in rage throughout the track. And of course Homework got me into dance music, sample based music, and more bedroomy rough sounding music. The whole album's so fun and groovy but cool and detached at the same time. It's super simple and nothing about it is that radical, but it has a certain atmosphere to it that is totally unique to that album. All the grooves on the album are undestroyable and feel like they could go on forever, and the production of the album is so thick and dirty. It works so well at making itself sound like it doesn't give a fuck when you know that everything was really thought out. There's so much real energy and inspiration behind everything on the album

you sound like a massive faggot

This

Being on this website is inherently a waste of time though.

Swans threads have contained some good discussion recently