Why do people talk jazz drummers up so much...

Why do people talk jazz drummers up so much? The shit they do is literally a joke compared to more technical genres like various metal subgenres, I'm not even trolling. I actually just want to know what makes it so that Tony Williams can be considered on the same level as just about any acclaimed, technically amazing metal drummer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mL5UfsrCTB4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You do know you're not going to get any replies that aren't "haha le metalfag XD" don't you?

Jazz drumers rely so much more on tempo changes and interactivity with other musicians than any other form of music. If you don't believe me you can listen what Elvin Jones did on the post-bop scene or what Tony Williams did for the free/fusion era.
>b-but muh blast beats

Yeah, you're right. It's all about the feeling.

I know this is bait but the metal fans obsession with technicality needs to die

they're good drummers, bront

Honestly if you can listen to Tony Williams and not hear immediately what makes him great then there's probably no point discussing this.

That said, jazz drummers need to be a lot more dynamic than drummers in other genres - ready to change up what they do in response to other musicians. They also tend to have a lot less to work with than metal drummers (smaller kits) and still manage to put as much creativity and variation into their playing.

Not even dissing metal drummers here. There are some incredibly talented people out there. But the style in metal drumming - especially the tech-death-type guys out there - tends to lean towards just emulating the guitar line on a stupid array of tuned toms, and that's just really boring to me. Even in metal I'd much rather have a Bill Ward than a Flo Mounier.

Metal drumming is very technical but it's all just muscle memory. Jazz players have to improvise and react all while keeping good time.

>the only thing that matters is technical skill

the mark of the autist

This
Some of the best metal albums are the least technical

metal lacks so much musicality.

Something tells me this is bait, but if you're genuinely implying jazz drumming isn't really technical you might need to stop listening to music.

Boom bap bap boom bap bap

I'm with you OP. I fucking hate jazz drumming. There's no rhythm or flow it's just a random mess of percussion. Then again I don't like jazz in general so I'm probably biased.

Waitaminute, this is gonna be a dumb question, but is there any purely improvised metal?

Go listen to Buddy Rich and educate yourself.

>it's just a random mess of percussion
you're saying this like it's a bad thing

t. only listened to Dopesmoker and Dopethrone

even if he has (I'm willing to bet he hasn't), those two albums are definitely up there in the best metal albums ever

Maybe if you've listened to a grand total of 10 metal albums in your whole life

>those two albums are definitely up there in the best metal albums ever
not even top 5 in their subgenres

Might be the only drummer in the thread? At least the only one that knows what jazz is.

This. I'd posit that if you gave any professional jazz drummer the music to learn for a metal album that he could go into the studio in one week and play it almost as well as any professional metal drummer.

But if you were to give most metal drummers a week to get ready to record a modern jazz album they would not sound nearly as good as the real jazz drummer.

I actually didn't like either of those albums but please continue to be a technicality autistic Dream Theater shitter for everyone to see

>WE
>WUZ
>DRUMMERS

Reddit really has invaded this place...

>metal
>drums

metal drums are just a glorified click track, where jazz drums are music on their own.

not my fault you have terrible taste
go back to /r/metal fucking faggot

because they are black
you really underestimate white guilt

suck my cock

>jazz drumming.
>no rhythm
It's....but it's jazz though

>There's no rhythm
christ almighty

It's just clown white guilt that some self-loathing whites have.

yep just clown self-loathing whiteys at it again

Bless your heart.

Listen to this OP, might be up your alley.
youtube.com/watch?v=mL5UfsrCTB4

Matt gartskas gay
Freddie Gruber gay
Jim Chapin gay
Buddy rich gay
Elvin Jones gay
Dave gayrabaldi gay
Gayve weckl gay
Steve Gayy Gay

All drummers are gay
Matt g-ArT SKA 15/16 epic threesome Independence linear is fuckin lame
Tony Williams blushda gay (lol same hand flam drags!!!!)
mike jonsten book report lesson fucking retarded

Lol MOELLER
BRUCKER BECKER IS SHIT
Gotta GET THAT MOELLER ACTION BRO (DOES SOME FUCKING WEIRD SHIT WITH HIS FINGERS)

yeah man, I'm a modern drummer, JoJo Mayer haha *does finger exercise that is literally pointless*

JoJo Mayer more like JoJo Gayer lol I'm jojo an internationally acclaimed performer and educator look at me xddd

DENNIS CHAMBERS FAT BASTARD
KEITH CHARLOCK FORMER FAT BASTARD

JAZZ DRUMMERS ARE SHIT
FUCK THE DRUMS
FUCK DRUMMERS

FUCK YOU REFLEXX I JUST WANNA BUY YOUR PRACTICE PAD BUT NOT HAVING IT IN STOCK IS SO #INSTA
YEAH MAN LEMME HYPE MY PRODUCT BY JUST NOT HAVING AVAILABLE

MIKE GUILLANA LOOKS LIKE A PEDO
POOP POODOSOP

>The shit they do is literally a joke compared to more technical genres like various metal subgenres
Elaborate, if you can (you can't)

What drummers do in jazz is very different than what metal/rock drummers do

Complexity definitely is not the point of music nor should it. Complexity can be an element of course but not the goal of the music. Jazz drummers have very much nuance in what they play that is hard to understand if you do not study the genre. I'm not a jazz expert so I can't say what those nuances are, but clearly you are missing more of what jazz is than most.

drummer arent musicians

Op is underage. Mooooods.