I'll be starting University this year, and i'll be stuying Oriental languages, in particular...

I'll be starting University this year, and i'll be stuying Oriental languages, in particular, the course that centers on japanese. All courses though, require the student to also study one other oriental language for the first year at least. the two choices i've narrowed it down to are Chinese and Korean. I've already been studying japanese for quite some time now, and i've been dabbling with korean in the past month.
Should i go for the gold and choose profitable chinese or go full weeb and start understanding k-pop lyrics, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

corsidilaurea.uniroma1.it/it/corso/2016/lingue-e-civilta-orientali-0/frequentare
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why the fuck would you learn Korean or Japanese over Mandarin?

vaffanculo torni a Sup Forums

t. chink

japanese and korean are pretty similar op

i'm a /jp/ guy, actually.
I don't think it would be wise to drop a language that i've already productively invested time into, but i see what you mean about Mandarin.
I hope i don't get too much shit for calling Mandarin Chinese in the Op now that you make me notice.

Yes i've been seeing the similarities that korean and japanese share, korean really seems like the most tempting option. I'm weighing my superior interest for Korean and Korea in general against the exponentially superior value that Mandarin has on a practical level.

Dove? Napoli, Venezia o Roma?

Japanese and Korean are not similar. Korean is the easiest language of the 3 but mandarin like putonghua is the most useful. Japanese is less useful from a business perspective but all are not in high demand relative to how it used to be. Korea has the worst living standards of the 3

Roma, faccio riferimento a questa pagina del terribile sito della sapienza corsidilaurea.uniroma1.it/it/corso/2016/lingue-e-civilta-orientali-0/frequentare

>Japanese and Korean are not similar
SOV and case particles closen them up quite a bit if you ask me

i beg to differ. Korean grammar is tough and having tons of homophones the absence of 한자 can be a pain in the ass.
Plus, Korean grammar is tough. Lots and lots of particles to learn.
South Korea has way better living standards than China and overall a better night life than Japan.
Of course living and working in SK can be challenging, because Koreans not only work A LOT of hours each day like the Japanese, they also actually do a shitload of work and have a very strict confucian discipline.

vai con Cinese.

Vero? è la cosa ragionevole da fare, ke palle.
Già è una delusione che non ho le risorse per studiare a Venezia. Però vbb si vive immagino
Tu hai esperienze simili?

If you want to do business and become successful, learn Japanese and Chinese.
If you want to live in your basement watching anime learn Korean and Japanese.

By the way, I speak flawless Korean and I had to do 8 hours of study every day for 4 years to reach that level even when it was the language spoken in my home.

>By the way, I speak flawless Korean and I had to do 8 hours of study every day for 4 years
That sounds rough, that's not how many hours a day i study Japanese, i guess i better step my game up.
What were the circumstances? did you do some sort of home staying experience?

한국어를 배워요 주세요...
한국어 짱!

That's the thing. Korean is so damn cute, it sounds cute as hell and the writing system is so simple and elegant it heals by Kanji-traumatized soul. I might just continue learning it in my own time when i have it.

Hey, I actually work in SK, so if you got questions go ahead. (Flag is back on Germany as I'm currently visiting my family)

First of;
>Koreans not only work A LOT of hours each day like the Japanese, they also actually do a shitload of work
If you believe this, you're fooled.
The "sitting around in my office box and sleep for extra hours" mentality in SK is exactly that what you would expect from the Japanese stereotype.

Second, Korean is easy on first steps, yes, but brutal on mastering. Maybe even worse than Japanese, though that's only something my colleagues complained about, can't give an opinion on that.

In the end, I'd still recommend it though, because it's A not tone based and B Koreans are mostly pretty shill about you lacking as long as they see you're trying to correctly.

No, I'm Korean and my parents only speak Korean

네!

>because it's A not tone based
That's a big selling point for sure, and everything considered, working in SK sounds a lot more appealing that working in mainland china. (Granted there's still Taiwan and Singapore)

Mandarin is Übermenschen spreche
It's easy, fully logical and predictable
If you know one of chinese languages it will be easier for you to learn hanzi/kanji/hancha, due to the phono-semantic nature of characters
I mean, most of these chars are made up of 2 parts, one predicts meaning, and one reading
It's really helpful
Anyway, Mandarin is useful and some say that it will be lingua franca of XXI century

Though, Korean will be easier to learn for you if you're fluent in Japanese alredy, cause they have exactly the same syntax and grammar

Is that even a question? Learn mandarin for money if you have the ability.

Wait.. so how did you communicate with them before learning it?

You speak the truth, i'm afraid

I spoke mid-tier Korean before actually studying it.

>learning jewdarin
>not based Cantonese

dude, i work with koreans too. Do not tell bullshit, they work like crazy even by japanese standards.

Übermenschsprache
>Stop using Google translate

Cantonese is very appealing to me, but my university doesn't offer it, and it's not nearly as widely spoken as Mandarin is in the first place

non è questione di ragionevolezza.
Se ti piace la lingua coreana fai coreano.
Si tratta di lingue talmente difficili che dovrai studiarle fino al vomito e passare molto tempo a vedere drama, ascoltare musica, parlare coi parlanti madrelingua.
Semplicemente insegnano molto bene il cinese a Roma.

There's no fucking money in an Oriental languages degree by itself anyway unless maybe you become an high-profile interpreter or something, but those have usually been raised bilingually.
I'd say go for Korean as you seem vastly more interested in the culture.
also
>working with Chinese people
ugh

Maybe your standard is too low then?...

You are talking with Italian after all m8

it's just crazy to say koreans sleep around and sit down in the office.
That's what japanese do, koreans work to the bone.
And have a very hierarchical, rigid mentality.

>tonal language

While not opposed to working on an academic career, my plan was to become an interpreter or similarly qualified translator. I've actually come in contact with two italians who learned Japanese and are now high profile interpreters. Not for a second do i expect it to be easy or risk-free, but i do feel like i can work towards that

La tua pacatezza e serietà mi fulminano. Sono convinto tu abbia ragione. Posso chiederti nuovamente che tipo di studi hai fatto/esperienze hai? se non è un problema

>medium rare chicken strips
Is that bitch serious?

that picture is making me angry

I wonder about the synergy of learning Japanese/Chinese concurrently.
You have a lot of the same logographs so in theory that's good, but I could imagine it getting confusing as you're essentially adding another reading (or worse) and they're being used in different ways.

you're mixing up north and south korea

I think he meant that Mandarin has a lot of speakers (becoming more global too) while Japanese and Korean are useless/irrelevant outside of some tiny bean countries.

That doesn't matter if you're studying languages though.

I think Mandarin (I assume by "Chinese" you mean Mandarin" would be more interesting for you. But Korean is cool too.

Good grief, what is it supposed to benefit of learning korean?

korean is an easy language to learn, so if you want quick proficiency, that is the way to go

It is important for studying asian culture to learn "文言文".