Is Walk on the Wild Side transphobic?

telegraph.co.uk/music/news/walk-wild-side-transphobic-student-group-issues-apology-playing/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mf2pF5oMdP4
youtube.com/watch?v=MpHr5rq-GdA
vice.com/sv/article/a-morons-guide-to-lou-reed
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't know, I haven't listened to it in years. It's probably got some pretty outdated lyrics I guess.

hopefully

No.

how is it transphobic? the whole album is incredibly pro-gay and pro-trans

how do they even reckon it has to be the least transphobic song ever written lmao

Lou Reed was just about the only person who would talk about shit like that back then, so no. And anyone who thinks otherwise is retarded and probably should be euthanized.

Lou was taking the piss out of them the entire time.

he literally hung out with candy darling
so i used to avoid it bc desu but now i just see it as "well-intentioned but weird bc there was a lot of shit that was still getting figured out back then"

i mean other people now are definitely weird about it but this chick with a dick ain't bothered

Was he? Was he taking the piss when he fucked a bunch of trannies too? Was he the original promoter of the idea that traps aren't gay?

Traps aren't gay, homo. Lou did it for the banter.

remind me again why we have to give money to trannies

Wtf I like Lou Reed now

>having sexual intercourse with a man isn't gay

The cognitive dissonance is unreal. You aren't supported by either side so just choose one.

>women with dicks aren't women
WEW

No, I don't think so. If you look at trans culture when the song came out, I think it's a pretty damn important anthem.

>thinking they are women
WOAH

In the same way that Heroin is anti-drug.

Gender is a spook. Gender nihilism > trans acceptance > transphobia. Get with the times.

Faggot.

Pink Floyds first single was about cross dressing

youtu.be/mf2pF5oMdP4

is this song transphobic?

youtube.com/watch?v=MpHr5rq-GdA

nigga he is like, wearing makeup in the fucking album cover

WTF I love Lou Reed now

>In a further statement a spokesperson said: "The lyrics, 'and then he was a she,' devalues the experiences and identities of trans folks.

>"The first issue with this is that it minimizes the experiences of oppression, and obstacles that trans people must overcome in order to be accepted in society (it’s not as simple as shaving one’s legs). It suggests that a change of appearance is a required to identify as trans, and this is a myth.

>"Additionally, stating that conversing, spending time with, or having sex with a trans person is 'taking a walk on the wild side' is also problematic. It labels trans folks as 'wild' or 'unusual' or 'unnatural' which is a dangerous rhetoric."

I can't wait for 2117 when the song he did with Metallica where their singer yells about being a table is labelled offensive to tablekin

that's the stupidest fucking reasoning I've ever read

to be fair he literally did date a trans person for a long time, always calling her a him
even andy warhol was weirded out about that
no genders allowed

this is so insane. lou reed literally fucked a transvestite named rachel for years.

>Lou Reed’s ambi-sexual private life was a lot more, well, gay. In the 1980s he was a regular at the anything-goes NY gay bar Ninth Circle. In the mid-70s, he took up with a transvestite-transsexual (no one seems quite sure which), called Rachel/Tommy. They stayed together for four years, despite having spectacularly little in common. “Rachel was wearing this amazing make-up and dress and was obviously in a different world to anyone else in the place,” recalled Reed of their first meeting. “Eventually I spoke and she came home with me. I rapped for hours and hours, while Rachel just sat there looking at me saying nothing. At the time I was living with a girl, a crazy blonde lady and I kind of wanted us all three to live together but somehow it was too heavy for her. Rachel just stayed on and the girl moved out.”
vice.com/sv/article/a-morons-guide-to-lou-reed

Music for this feel?

lou reed sounds like an absolute madman