/daily/ - kotposting edition

kot

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/CoeUyqR.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=jRy9zMGq1Rw&has_verified=1
youtu.be/BmiF7dvVs18
youtu.be/k2b33-RJKbc
youtube.com/watch?v=t8NBXYzlvLE
youtube.com/watch?v=rlBskd3IaNw
youtube.com/watch?v=WYTBsN-KeNE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cats are better than Dogs

What's an kot

cuz I'm smarter than u

kot

kot

such an absolute madman
кoт

fuck why can't every song on superunknown be as good as black hole sun

that actress review is coming soon I swear

also did you know that there is a building behind the signs? crazy huh

>You might be the last light I see
>Before the dark finally gets a hold of me

fuck WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

this

just saw alien covenant

it was shite

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

>Glam Rock, Pop Rock

Ziggy Stardust didn't do anything spectacular. It didn't blow my mind, it didn't fill me with emotion, and it certainly didn't particularly impress me in anyway.

But I'll be damned if this album isn't interesting, consistent, and polished. It can be surprisingly hard to find those qualities in an album, especially one of this kind. It's nice for an album to just be... thoroughly entertaining.

Also, one of the coolest album titles ever.

>3.5/5

>it was shite
what a shock.

see pic

saw
you expected too much.

I like the first alien movie, but from what I've heard from everyone that isn't a fanboy of the series is that literally no other movie in that series is worth it. Would you agree?

>I like the first alien movie
>no other movie in that series is worth it.
Correct.

Aliens honestly isn't that bad, but it ramps up the B-movie aspects instead of the atmosphere that made Alien a masterpiece. Everything else is trash.

Aliens isn't that bad if you like mindless 80s action movies.

What are the best recordings of John Dowland's pieces for Lute?

blapp - 8.33

>Steve Roach - Structures From Silence
The last track captures staring into space perfectly. It was like seeing it with my own eyes instead of in pictures.
10-/11

>Doopees - Doopee Time
I was feeling a 7- at first until I got up to track 8, then it clicked with me so well.
The weird adventures of these 2 girls through TV, love, doctors, time and space. Enchanting.
9-/11

>Today Is the Day - Willpower
Typical it's ok noise-rock.
6-/11

This chart has been giving me way too many amazing albums and I love it. Incredible picks blapp. I also released I've given your other 2 favourites 9's as well.
Next up is transgod.

I adore that Roach album, glad you liked it

do me after :^)

no

I might watch Aliens, but everything else looks really unappealing to me.
The coolest part about this chart is how telling it is of people's personality, taste, and interpretation of music in general.

I know people (me included) shit talk /daily/ pretty often but I think this place pretty often offers genuine discussion about music like no other place on the internet. I wish us success and that we can keep these threads up for a long period of time.

Btw, my albums are incredibly niche imo. I'd be surprised if you like anything besides Minor Threat maybe.

he's doing me ;)))

if you stop after the first film its a lovecraftian masterpiece about horrors within the universe that exceed our most horrifying comprehension
the ship they found was hundreds of years old
every fucking film just dulls it more and more

i.imgur.com/CoeUyqR.jpg

Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz (2010)
>art pop, progressive pop, chamber pop

The richest, most sonically varied album in Stevens’ catalogue. The songwriting on Illinois and Carrie & Lowell is great and all, but they suffer from a stagnant, overdone sound. Here, the songwriting is sometimes too muddled and busy, but his sound is significantly more interesting. It ranges from the electronic beat-fuckery of “Too Much” and “I Want to Be Well” to more subdued pieces like the beautiful “Futile Devices” and “I Walked”. The electronic elements are sometimes misused, like on the title track, the acclaim of which I don’t understand, but they’re often done really well, their vast soundscapes compliment Stevens’ more erratic, herky-jerky vocals well. “Impossible Soul” is a wonderful track, a 26-minute monolith that has nearly now low points. While the album might have some very distinct low points, the presence of this track alone makes it all worthwhile.

Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses (1987)
>synthpop

Theatricality in music is something I often enjoy, and something I enjoy when done by this band, but this attempt seems really hollow and over-dramatic. The songwriting here is really weak, with big, anthemic choruses and squelching, pseudo-industrial synths being the big focus instead of actual interesting melodies or songs. The synth sounds are admittedly cool, and the vocals are of course great, but I’m left cold by this.

2.0+

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison (1968)
>country

Damn near like a punk concert. Cash’s demeanor and his stage banter is second to none, he treats the prisoners as equals and really strikes a chord with them. He’s also on top form when it comes to his performance, the songs are energetic and really damn fun, and his vocals are incredible. The slower songs definitely aren’t as great, but this is still a wonderful performance.

3.0+

(1/2)

(2/2)

Rufus Wainwright - Poses (2001)
>singer/songwriter, chamber pop, pop rock

I don’t care for Wainwright’s vocals, but the arrangements surrounding them are quite nice. Very Fiona Apple-esque, the arrangements are sometimes upbeat and rollicking but mostly smoky and subdued. I don’t care for the style at all, but Wainwright writes decent songs and plays them well, even if there are some dull low points.

2.5-

Otis Spann - Otis Spann Is the Blues (1960)
>piano blues

Best piano blues album I’ve ever heard. Still relies far two much on typical twelve-bar chord progressions, which is usually a killer for me, yet Spann performs these otherwise generic songs with so much grit and power, and the weird, subtle guitar playing accentuates his passion and rawness like nothing else could.

3.0-

I think it's slightly overrated myself, but don't most people like Aliens as well? Who are you talking to?

>age of adz + folsom prison love
fuckk yeah

And Poses is super overrated in Rufus Wainwright's catalog. His s/t is very underrated imo, and if you even slightly enjoyed poses you should probably check out his s/t soonish.

ooo what's he gonna give Goodbye, Babylon.

Fish excite
>I think it's slightly overrated myself, but don't most people like Aliens as well?
iirc most people see Aliens as an okay sequel while Aliens is a defining moment for the genre

>Who are you talking to?
the person I replied to dumpass

to all the /daily/ lateposters i salute u bc im fucking dying rn
>typical it's ok noise rock
:'(( i wish daily loved willpower the same way i do im rly glad u liked everything else tho

I'll check out his s/t soon, thanks!

and I'll probably give goodbye Babylon a 5 desu

No ur dumb

:'^)

I think my gf might be getting me goodbye, babylon for my birthday in a few months actually. I'll post it if true.

if u insult me one more time on my four chan accout i will scream at my computer screen

>nkc giving things a 5 star rating that aren't Washington Phillips, Jim O'Rourke or John Fahey

Blasphemous.

the very act of giving life to a non-existent soul is a form of torture- similar to caging a wild animal.

Is anyone else here in disbelief of the fact that there will be another Twin Peaks episode in less than 24 hours?

To make it music related: Trent Reznor, Sky Ferraira and Eddie Vedder will be on Twin Peaks

And michael cera lmao.

My guess: the people who have discovered Twin Peaks via netflix will hate the show because it won't be 100% self-referential and fan-service like they all expect it to be. There won't be any "damn fine coffee" or "cherry pie" but will probably throw some people off and thus maybe be a flop.

I'm all for another 30+ hours of Lynch material, but I'm doubtful what he puts out will please all TP fans.

bummed that i'm gonna have to miss it cause going bowling with coworkers tomorrow night

I read the book, it seems to be doubling down on the weirder themes explored in FWWM. Though the inclusion of Michael Cera does tell me that it'll have plenty of dumb campy stuff.

Sorry if this review sucks I'm a bottle of red deep

Hardcore music like this works much better when it has defined textures/melodies and isn't just basically "loud-gaze", which is what made the last track, by far the most original and expansive piece in this entire album so unique and satisfying. If you're a noise boy maybe you'd like it, but it was mostly kinda bad.

I see this sentiment a lot, and perhaps I'm not cynical enough but I don't think that many people have that expectation. Also I'm seeing the assumption that's it's going to be entirely Lynchian madness. I have no qualms with that at all, but Mark Frost is still working on it as well.

>going bowling with coworkers

Is this hampus??

I'm all down for a whole season of campy shit yo

No, that's Leonard Cohen.

bep[is]

something to get me out and about with other people, it's been so long that i feel new to this sort of thing

Sorry if this review is too close to my previous one, I didn't expect to listen to another album tonight

R.E.M. - Automatic for the People

>Alt Rock, Pop Rock

Each song in Automatic for the People has some sort of element that pushes it just out of the garbage zone of the typical alt-rock songs and ballads--whether it's the songwriting, a classical string instrument or something else, it's somewhat unique and fresh. It's something about this album's sound.

Still, it's not particularly creative or emotional (except Everybody Hurts, that one is painful) and doesn't really do anything for me. Like I said, it's not usually different from the typical, if at all.

>3/5

do bepis

youtube.com/watch?v=jRy9zMGq1Rw&has_verified=1

Maybe one day

I'm too tired for anything more, also I can't tell if you're just spouting memes because you're drunk or if Bepis is referencing something specific besides that dog picture.

I hope you all have a good night, or whatever time it is where you live. It's nearly 1 AM here in the Midwest

I made it 55 seconds
youtu.be/BmiF7dvVs18

oh no

i'm just spouting shit memes ;/

fuck all my midwest friends are aslhepp too and I can;t talk to them but I get it

I think you'll like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Weezer tho I have some issues wif those

when is everyone going to do a fifty album lamb drone?

youtu.be/k2b33-RJKbc

What's the name of this?

i mean,,,

maybe win a tourne yor something?? idk

I like Pinkerton a decent bit, when I listen to blue album I'll be able to decide for myself the "blue album vs. Pinkerton" debate that seems to be split 50/50 entirely, which amazes me.

Stereolab sounds like my kinda thing, I've listen to the first track off of the album on my chart and liked it

Looking forward to Gorillaz, Roach and B-52's as well

Autechre collab when

lmao

the reason its all 4.5 is bc i dont like to give ratings or ranks to music for personal reasons but i still wanted to use my wishlist for stuff i wanna hear so i just stuck it all there and left my 5s open to whatever i was listening to the most at the time but then i got tired of that and just moved those to 4.5 too

but i mean,,,

maybe because it's pretty impossible to drone you? Like, yeah I'll choose from 2,000+ albums to "drone" I mean shit seems impractical.

Use whatever rating scale you want mang but that'd probabluy be why

i was memeing fish boi who would actually listen to 50 of my favorite albums even if they knew what they were

Gotta drive for 3 hours today :/
Nigel North

lamb is great to drone cause a lot of her rated albums have amazing album art; I add stuff to my backlog from them/what I find interesting.

Link for those who still want to participate:

youtube.com/watch?v=t8NBXYzlvLE

I like how we just deleted Letov.

Кoт

frick

Hey anons. This is by the guys that made that alt-j mock video.

You know this one. youtube.com/watch?v=rlBskd3IaNw

Anyway. The album I would rate decent to strong 8. It's quite short to. But it's got some genuine 10/10 moments in it. Riverside is so good to listen to that one song if you unsure about this. I highly recommend if you like indie rock, radiohead or pink floyd.

why dont you just remove your ratings entirely and create a tag for music you have listened to, then?

how are all your weeks doing, my dudes

in eternal war with spotify's horrendous tagging

yeah Spotify tagging sucks sometimes

was that B L A C K I E album good

I listened to Gen before and it was not good stuff imfo

you mean you dont love
(2008 remastered version)[deluxe edition](bonus track)?

while that stuff is bad, at least it's understandable why they'd put that there

what's even worse is when they misspell stuff like what the heck

New albums B L A C K I E is pretty good. Only decent releases from him imo are Wilderness of North America and True Spirit and Not Giving a Fuck

New B L A C K I E album is pretty good. Its like free jazz/industrial hip hop. Only decent releases from him imo are Wilderness of North America and True Spirit and Not Giving a Fuck. Still got a lot of respect for the dude though.

That sounds interesting. Might actually give it a listen then I guess.

Have you checked out ho99o9 at all? They're a pretty blatant death grips rip off, but they've got some pretty solid tracks. Having given the new album a listen yet though

Have you checked out ho99o9 at all? They're a pretty blatant death grips rip off, but they've got some pretty solid tracks. Haven't given the new album a listen yet though

My bad my phones all fucky

I haven't checked em out

might try idk but I'm not a huge fan of industrial hip-hop

thanks for the rec

*runs up behind you, sliding into a full stop*
SKRRRRRRRRRRRT

that's awesome, I gotta snag me a copy too

but wash phillips is on goodbye Babylon!

my thoughts are p simiilar to the others on this listenalong

is it just me or do the primarily indeh people tend to flock to hip-hop

then again my only examples are you and Thomas

ok probably not a good theory

i've noticed that pattern too, while i can't speak for others, it feels like a returning home kinda thing because basketball american music was the only thing i listened to throughout my childhood

youtube.com/watch?v=WYTBsN-KeNE

im an indeh guy and i like hip hop, but i think there are a lot of non-indeh guys who like hip hop too

A cate thread?

you know it

I've realized now tho that the indeh and hip-hop pattern was literally Sup Forums a couple years back when MBDTF came out

I wasn't actually there tho and from what I hear it was more indie VS hip-hop rather than indie and hip-hop

>mbdtf was 7 yrs ago
>808s nearly 10

good morning
that glenn jones album a good

sorry I made a typo

mystery of clarity suicide good memes
i might do a gimmick thing where i don't listen to any rock subgenre at all for a month when i feel like doing that

kot actually

Been listening to more albums that I have downloaded or otherwise put off for a while, of which includes the following;
>Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - Thought it was going to be some preachy communist freak-out garnering acclaim from left-wing music magazines though in reality its very good, enjoyed it and some of the album's themes resonated with me to an extent that I wasn't expecting. Gonna give this way more listens and try the rest of their catalog.
>Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octogonecologyst. Coming from someone who usually dislikes hip-hop this album surprised me in its relaxed flow and greater sense of humour rather than stuff that seems as if I'd have to be African-American to "get" it (and by that I mean simulating some sort of ego-trip without paying for the consequences).
>Kanye West - Late Registration. Actually enjoyed this album unlike his MBDTF, TLOP and Yeezus, really liked Diamonds From Sierra Leone and Crack Music, kinda prefer the more conscious version of Kanye even if it comes of as a little preachy, the music in general seemed to have more soul and texture to it rather the the ironically maximalist nature of his later works. Going to give it numerous more listens though before I fully evaluate it.
>Talk Talk - The Party's Over. Didn't want to rush into their later material so decided to listen in chronological order, I honestly quite liked this though have only listened a couple of times so far, love Hate and of course Talk Talk in particular. Want to smother myself in Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock when the time is right and I can truly appreciate it.

Otherwise been listening more to Burial and more of the same artists I'm familiar with, must say that Burial's self-titled is brilliant, love the more ambient sections of it and honestly can't believe that's dubstep but hey-ho.

Been a rough week, shifts came out of nowhere on my already tight schedule though no worries. Hope you're doing well user.

cant you guise just create subreddit

MY EYES
dips plethora