Want to be a musician

>want to be a musician
>everything you write is shit

Other urls found in this thread:

teoria.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This was my problem but I realized I just need to /do it/ and release it and not over think it
It helps to have a collaborator mix it and release it for you, because you'll never be happy with it yourself

i'm shit at recording by myself and i've never played in a band
give me a reason not to chris cornell myself right now

I am certain there are people in your life, or online who you can show your music too and get good to decent feedback on
and if you don't try to improve you wont.

play everything and multi track it yourself
or if you cant play a certain instrument dont sweat you can always sequence it or have some one play the part for you in the studio
come to NJ ill help you record it in my basement mah man

actually,,,

i spent too much money on guitar pedals and don't have a way to record anything
need to buy an sm57/58 and an audio interface

i don't have any good songs also i suck kill me lol

>actually,,,
post it on forums, here or wherever. post it on soundcloud. it doesn't matter
also, if you keep it up, sooner or later your family will want to listen to your music so you may as well bite the bullet

buy an sm57 the sm58 is played out. they do sound identical tho lol
as for an interface get a Scarlett 2i4 its incredible for the price

pedals are important but they DEFINITELY dont make you a better musician, usually simpler rigs are better, unless youre making shoegaze, and in that case is your name Tom? lol

Don't get into music. 95% of the people are thirty year olds with no money clinging onto a dream they'll never reach. Just making it harder for people with real talent to get noticed by spamming the world with their dogshit. And then if you do get picked up by a label they treat you like a fucking carnie and legally gang rape you. OH- but try to stay positive from all that and keep churning out the hits user! PS. Mr. Shekelburg says you have to feature Rihanna on your next album or else..

my family doesn't bother asking about my music as they know i'm a disappointment lol

thought the sm58 was for vocals
i had a 2i2 but i had a lot of clipping issues so idk if i trust the 2i4 idk i'll look into it though
also no my name is not tom sorry dude

i don't want to make music for others. i just want to make cool shit for myself. hell, i'll come up with a semi-decent idea every once in a while, i'll never be able to build off of anything

i have both they sound the same at the end of the day, the space your recording in makes a much bigger difference
i never had clipping issues but i send everything into my mixer first then to the 2i4, to add a little dirt
lol all good, you sound alot like a friend of mine thats why i ask, not trying to make you break user
what kind of music are you interested in making?

i don't even know man
i just want to make something
i hate myself for having all of this gear and the want to make something yet being unable to make anything
makes me feel incredibly worthless and i want to die lol

heh i know that feeling i have stacks of synths and rack units i never use, sometimes i wonder why i keep some of the shit around
also wanting to die helps it you should be able to write something good if you try. do you know any theory?
also the real secret is to pick a genre/ band and totally rip them off at first, you'll accidentally put your own spin on it and itll come out great
thats what i did when i recorded the one EP i actually finished

tfw you always write shittons of songs but hate them

ayyyyyyyy

i don't know theory at all
i just wish i had someone to play with
i'm 24 and i don't know any musicians other than these two people. one is way above my skill level and makes a living off music and the other does too but we're not really friends anymore (not cool enough for him lmaooooooooooooo i want to die)

i write a lot of riffs but never make anything out of them
op here
kill me

Can we have a Radiohead hate thread instead?

no
t. op

No fuck off

Eraser> Radiohead catalog

I mean, writing music not really a process based on formula if you wanna write something good, it kinda happens, but it's rare.

if youre near New Jersey id love to collab with you bro!
otherwise learn a bit of theory, write really comes naturally if you know /how/ music is made
of course not that its essential, but it simplifies the process if it doesnt come naturally

for me, writing has a lot to do with structure and schemes. once I think of a format I like, creativity takes over from there or vice versa. everyone has their own process and style though so you just kinda have to find it

>can sing decently
>mediocre at guitar
>don't know any theory

i live in california my man

are you me

Don't worry about learning theory bro, I know it all and now I wish I didn't

TKOL=TMB>OKC>Eraser>rest of Radiohead

Probably

also
>want to start a band
>no friends play any instrument
>no scene where I live

where do i start? i'd rather learn something before i kill myself

if i gotta sort it
eraser>pablo honey> rest of radiohead

>pablo honey
now youre just being contrarian
shitty bait

Well you start with the musical alphabet: ABCDEFG. Then you learn about sharps and flats. And also chord progressions and how different chords are built. And scales. Then there's a slew of little tricks like a dominant 7 chord always goes to a 4 chord.

teoria.com/

thats a good resource but at first it's going to seem really complicated. It's not.

i know the absolute basics, my knowledge is spotty and it's tough to decide where to start

All there is to music theory is absolute basics. It's like cooking. You can make the most complicated shit ever but in the end it's just a dead cow you threw in some sauce and added some spice to

fuck, this is a very good analogy lmao

haha thanks I was proud of it. I wish you good luck on your quest for knowledge. If i lived around you I would come jam

Practice, practice practice...steal if you have to, but make it your own...don't be Carlos mencia