/prod/ Music Production General

(((I didn't post the usual pic cause i couldn't find it)))

How can you faggots let this thread die, without this thread the whole board is a fucking shill circlejerk that should be deleted

------ NO SOUNDCLOUDS ALLOWED ------
>LEARNING RESOURCES
>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCLtD67ljlaeXQMV4sb-YzNA/featured
clyp.it/pkstusar
clyp.it/ggmhfgw4
clyp.it/5jkbzcyr
clyp.it/2e15bxhe
clyp.it/0bty10uc
clyp.it/4frcg4ni
clyp.it/dfum22rh
clyp.it/eh20xv0t
youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2IErEHa7A
clyp.it/4zoseexg
clyp.it/n0bpee5b
clyp.it/2qcslixi
youtube.com/watch?v=2edewYkE_f0
soundcloud.com/inter_vals.
clyp.it/tqvu1olz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Forgot this
youtube.com/channel/UCLtD67ljlaeXQMV4sb-YzNA/featured

is this a live set or his home recording setup?

can't imagine him writing such good stuff on such a messy awkward setup

This wouldn't be 1% of his shit.

i'm talking ergonomics

i couldn't be arsed programming my ms20 if I had to reach over that MPC i need literally everything right next to me with no straining or it's useless

clyp.it/pkstusar
very raw wip, it starts falling apart at 2:00

pls r8/subrscribe/smash the like button

In Ableton Session, how does one repeat MIDI tracks the same ways loops are automatically repeated?

You get to the stage where you can't have everything set up ergonomically. If you know what sound you're looking for on an ms20 you won't be leaning for long anyway.

clyp.it/ggmhfgw4
Reworked the intro synth and sketched a new drop, i didn't make anything worse, r-right? Also gonna fix the kick since this time around it seems too short.

Click on the clip and make sure the loop button is highlighted. Make sure the brackets are the right length. It should be automatic tho no?

i dunno if i get what you ask, there's a button that says loop

i dont think they automatically repeat, you just have to duplicate (ctrl+d)

>clyp.it/ggmhfgw4
sounds sicky in yir mouf bruv

love the buildup/drop

>Gonna buy some VCO's to modulate my euro rack

>clyp.it/pkstusar
Really like the percussion in this but not so sure on the other sounds, but i don't really listen to much of this type of music.

>clyp.it/ggmhfgw4
Pretty good, reminds me a little of rockit with that synth and that drop is pretty good. Don't really like the gaps of silence though

clyp.it/5jkbzcyr
My first project that i've felt like sharing. Just got started at production so any tips for this song or in general would be appreciated.

shared this in the last thread but would still like some more thoughts on it

clyp.it/2e15bxhe

sounds a lot better than i was expecting from a first project.

it took me 6 years of using ableton to finally know how to curve automation lines

its alt, you hold alt key

>clyp.it/5jkbzcyr
very nice
the beat that comes in at 0:54 doesnt fit, especially that offbeat

not really a fan of the resonance at 2:00+, but if thats what you're going for then thats cool

>don't really like the gaps of silence though
Oh yeah, i thought it would help making it sound like amon tobin but i ditched the idea. Pretty happy to see appreciation though, thanks

noice

>clyp.it/2e15bxhe
vocals need to come down slightly
is this sampled or your own recordings?

very nice. one of the percussion bits sounds like a phone notification, i'd get rid of that or tone it down

Stupid beginner question here:

What's a good mic to get some clean accoustic instruments sound?

got together with a friend, it's her vocals!

haha you're right about "phone notification part"

>clyp.it/2e15bxhe
If i click anywhere in this song it sounds good, but i feel the suspense made at like 2:30 is killed by the drop between 3:28 and 3:34.

thanks man been messing around on FL for a little bit and watching tutes and such but making something longer is a lot more work

sound wise is very good, but i think it kind of builds too slow

What would you do if you were messing around one day and accidentally wrote the best song in the world

thats p cool man, sounds awesome, it gets better and better as it goes on as well. how long have you been producing?

the laughter part is slightly jarring, maybe just record her while shes off her tits and get something that fits better

Upload to youtube i guess, then shill to give it some views and the people who hear it will start sharing. That's assuming everyone who hears it likes it and not everyone is greedy of music.

write a song about writing the best song in the world

well if its the best song in the world it will be far too deep for the masses and only the greatest of patricians will appreciate it, encasing the notes in leather and burying it in the richest mahogany to preserve it from the dirty plebeian ears

and scaruffi will give it a 9/10

What are some essential Ableton keyboard shortcuts you guys use on a daily basis?

i mapped my metronome on/off and my session record button to / and * on the numpad

>spent almost 10 years producing hip-hop
>don't almost even like hip hop anymore
fuck my life

I just bought a Launchpad Mini at a car boot sale for 20$ and it came with no codes or serial number.
What do I need and where can I find the shit I need to make this work on my windows PC?

there should be some kind of code on it check again
then find the user manual online
these kind of things usually install themselves then you update the drivers

you shouldn't need either of those things to make it work on your computer, they're just for registering it on the website and downloading bundled software if there is any

These things uusally come with 2 serial numbers, one for the device itself and another for the software.

Both are required to download drivers and programs.

i just want to be as loud as s3rl withtout putting my frequencies to shit. did i do it right?

clyp.it/0bty10uc

then you can come at a different angle within a different genre which others don't have

you are doing it horribly wrong
mix genres

I'd say quite well done.

Is there a way to clone these markers?

Try to highlight another zone and give it that same behavior, whatever it is.

clyp.it/4frcg4ni

Looking for opinions on this

Not sure if this is the right thread or not but what do you think of this so far? When it's finished it'll be the audio for this final writing project I had in uni. I'm writing it in Milkytracker.
clyp.it/dfum22rh

nigger this is kek music, good fucking job

>nigger this is kek music
underage pls go

fuck you mang im old enough to bang ur mom

>i'll tell him i could fuck his mom, THEN he'll stop thinking i'm an edgy 16 year old!

I like how he opens up the gear to trick people into thinking he's doing something clever.

this is good
reduce the cling sample volume

What's cling sample volume? Sorry if it's a dumb question, pretty new to production shit in general

Anyone got any tips for a clean-sounding mix? Been producing for ~3 years and finally getting there lel

Here's what I generally do depending on what the track is:
>EQ everything as best as I can
>high pass everything below its range
>use a multiband compressor to compress the highs (above 4k) heavily then boost them a bit
>use a stereo imager to make lows (below 200) mono, and everything above 2k a bit wider

Get a rough start by playing pink noise and soloing each track and adjusting the volume until it's just barely audible. EQ to make things stand out by removing frequencies from opposing tracks. Don't just EQ solo tracks, listen to them in the full mix. Really sharp high passes can sound unnatural, don't go for some sort of 48dB highpass and do this before some sort of compression or limiting on the channel.

Fucking
DED
E
D

>they're just for registering it on the website and downloading bundled software if there is any

Well where can I find this bundled software?

does this feel hollow to anyone else?

clyp.it/eh20xv0t

feedback and general opinions welcomed

So a lot of the links in the OP are for FL studio, any particularly good beginning tuts for Ableton?

I can probably figure out a good part of the interface itself on my own. I'm an electrical engineer grad and mostly wondering how I can learn the workings of (the waveforms of) the sound itself. Maybe then I'll try my hand at putting together some actual songs but I want the basics first.

I'm currently halfway through the New York School of Synthesis video, but a lot of this stuff I feel like I know the theory of already and would like to know how to play with it in ableton.

Would anyone be able to hook a poorfag up with Ableton or whatever their program of choice is? I want to get writing but I don't have half a grand or more sitting around to buy a good program with

i dunno what comes with launchpads these days, but i'm guessing it's something along the lines of ableton lite, maybe wavelab le, or some vst instruments. all stuff you should easily be able to torrent the full versions of
i still don't even really know what i'm doing with synthesis despite producing for like 6 years now and knowing what all the individual functions of a synth are for. i found sampling and effects to be a much more intuitive way to do sound design

Tom Cosm's guides are pretty useful and cover most aspects - part 1 below:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2IErEHa7A

been producing for about 6 years now.

cheers, I get that there are jarring parts to the track. Might edit em out later

clyp.it/4zoseexg

Thoughts?

Thanks much, I'm checking this out now

Pirate bay.

I like it, pretty unique sounding imo

Fuck around with instrumentation, especially the piano you're using. I think at least part of any "hollowness" you're feeling is stemming from cheesy/cheap-sounding voices. With a different/better piano sound I think the whole thing would be a lot less nasal and I'd vibe with it more.

t.never seriously produced anything, so take that with a grain of salt if it sounds bullshit

To add to this user, try adding some natural sounding imperfections to the piano to make it sound more like someone has played it

I made a new version because it felt wrong

clyp.it/n0bpee5b

----------

thank you

yea i agree, i switched pianos on this one did more sound design

yea but everything looks so nice and tidy with it quantized haha, there's a humanize function in logic that randomly changes the velocities and takes it off the grid i put it on this one, it think it sounds a little more lively

>clyp.it/n0bpee5b
i much prefer this version, sounds super tight.

I added some lyrics to this, what you reckon?
clyp.it/2qcslixi

give me 1 good reason why I shouldn't just use all white keys and the modes associated with them 99% of the time

you can't use g minor

BTFO
/thread

thank you

yo this is great dude, like really good

how do you get everything so sound so realistic?

i like how airy and light it feels, the live sounding drums go great with everything

vocals nice too the singing really fits the mood and atmosphere of the song

do you have a soundcloud?

i'd love to hear more

definitely sounds grandiose... i'd have liked to hear some deeper ugly sounds thrown in there for contrast

it's quite bright

i think you need a different/louder hat.... the groove didn't really match the music that well imo, or it sounds off with those double hits

I was bored for most of the first minute until the beat started getting busier desu

condenser

youtube.com/watch?v=2edewYkE_f0

Thanks dude, appreciate it.
Idk the snare, hats and bass are sampled, the rest are just vsts.
I do but most of my recent stuff hasnt been released yet cause im mulling them over; here it is anyway: soundcloud.com/inter_vals.
I've got some clyps of my recent stuff, thats probs a better place to listen if you're interested.

mxl990

Any thoughts on this? I want to add actual guitar and vocals still but I'm drunk at the moment so I'd just like feedback on how it stands so far

clyp.it/tqvu1olz

something feels off

i cant really figure out what tho

also since you're drunk i'd recommend writing now, its easier haha

"write drunk edit sober"

its definitely the drums that sound off, i'd redo them if i were you

I think the introduction of the strings might be jarring but I don't know how to fix it exactly

Also I'm unsure about my xylophone samples

Thanks man, I'll give that a try

how do i stop fl studio from changing my microkorg patch program when playing midis with it? (midi out)
i only want it to play my fucking notes, i don't want program changes

i don't know why but i want to see her cry

There are plenty of videos of her doing just that

>clyp.it/pkstusar

Like the other user, I like the percussion. Actually I like all the sounds in/of themselves, it sounds reminiscent of something from the movie Push or Lola Rennt

I can't really give any constructive production tips, but from the way the first couple minutes builds up it seems like all you really need, structurally, is a bridge/breakdown or something before fading out or going back to the intro beat. Seems well suited to a simple song structure, basically.

You *could* throw in some discordance, but it would seem weird to include in its current state

are there actually? who is she

i like seeing pretty smiley all the time girls cry sometimes, not to be mean.... i can't understand it

Brittany Venti, the cutest hammerhead shark in the sea. She's a ""redpilled"" attentionwhore but she's still a cute