What went wrong?

What went wrong?

nothing so far

it's only 10 episodes

This

I enjoyed it. Could have used more BSG tier music tho.

When will season 2 come out?

your mum

Not enough white women.

The protagonist has absolutely zero charisma. Otherwise, it's quite good though, I especially enjoy Thomas Jane's performance.

I liked it. What do you think went wrong OP or is this just a lazy conversation starter?

let me think
let me think

the pigdin the belters are using make them look a little retarded and that's sometimes annoying

early next year

What is that weird religion-like babbling of theirs anyway? I get that it's like BELTER PRIDE WORLDWIDE, but why don't they just speak english?

I was surprised by overall acting quality.

oh for fucks sake I thought you were joking

Introducing supernatural shit and antagonists with Saturday morning/comic book level motivations near the end when the show had primarily been a grounded, hard sci-fi show that focused on character interactions based on politics.

Nothing, I fucking loved every moment of it. Wish that there were more than 10 episodes a season tho.

You mean absolutely right?

Nothing

Pure fucking programme.

I wish we'd have more Mars stuff, they seem like the only reasonable faction. Was pretty annoyed when based aryan mars captain bro got killed.

Belters are just plebs with too much time on their hands, while earth are degenerate jews.

>what is creole
>what is language evolution

Plebs need to get out.

There's plenty of Mars in the second season.

>what is instant communication
If you expect the future of technology to change nothing, you are the pleb.

im a dummy

why does living in lower gravity environments make you extremely tall and your bones all long and shit? i get why they would be weaker since they wouldnt get used as much but why longer?

Excellent. Looking forward to it then.

>If you expect the future of technology to change nothing

Pardon?

>hard sci-fi show

I suppose part of the reason why we're not all 7 feet tall is because gravity is keeping us in check.

That, or belters just really hate manlets and had purges to keep only lankets around.

With instant communication/the internet, people are no longer segmented around the globe and language becomes a global phenomena. Same thing with space. The idea that people would be "stranded" out in space stations and develop their own language is not very logical to me.

Remember da Caunt

less pressure on vertebrae (actually astronauts are taller once they come back on Earth after some months spent in space. And at the end of the day, you're slightly smaller than you are when you wake up.): imagine the consequences for babies/teenagers.

local lingo --> regional pidgin --> new language

>he didn't jerk it to that indian womans voice

>he still thinks something can be classified as soft or hard science fiction, and that this somehow affects its overall quality

Very little.

>Communications can only travel at the speed of light, limiting both the dissemination of information and the ability of far off powers to react to rapidly changing situations, a theme throughout the series

I partially agree with you, if the internet is still a thing in The Expanse's setting, there could be a shared language, mannerisms and culture associated to it, but the Belters would still be spatially, socially, culturally and even biologically separated from the population of the inner planets, thus prompting the lingual divergence.

Only complaint i have is that season 2 wont be out til 2017

It's funny, when I read the book I though of Miller as the protagonist.

If anything they could have spaced out the happenings over a few more episodes, especially in the first few. I'm more of a fan of slow starts and getting into the setting but I guess they need to capture the views right away.

What makes you say that? Sci fi shows can definitely either be grounded and somewhat-based-on-reality featuring only humans while others can have many supernatural elements that include aliens.

The authors of the series have said that they weren't trying to make hard sci-fi. They instead went for what they called "wikipedia plausibility".

But instant communication isn't a thing between planets.

>tfw you will never be a loyal Martian soldier putting down Belter scum and Earther degenerates

What a sad world in which we live.

i think this is the only recent show that i enjoyed and actually finished

>for some reason always hated Thomas Jane
>does a more than decent job in the first half of the show
>becomes fucking awesome when he loses the hat
>by episode 10 he's amazing

I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong.

Her voice is pure unadulterated sex. She voices Lakshmi-2 in Destiny as well.

>What makes you say that?
The fact that the boundary between soft and hard sci-fi is extremely fuzzy.
You can have a "hard" sci-fi scenario where everything abides to our current understanding of physics and technological plausibility then include something that is beyond our human comprehension or capabilities.
Criticizing "soft" science fiction without evaluating how it actually affects the overall quality of the story is pointless and a sign of autism.

I loved her character, a lot of people didn't seem to but I enjoyed her seamlessly going between routines of kind grandma and cutthroat government spook

no but I jerked it to that belter prostitute in

Also, how is the existence of alien life a "supernatural" element?

I felt the introduction of the bioweapon in the last couple of episodes detracted from the whole story because I was far more interested in the political stuff both on the macro level with the Earth-Mars-OPA and the micro with the main characters being affected by it.

MARTIAN PRIDE SYSTEMWIDE

GAS THE BELTERS

SPACE WAR NOW

Got radiation sickness? Then I got no fucks to give.

I thought the main character was Kit Harington.

the way they got all that radiation was so random
will they just get rid of it via a magic machine?

Fair enough, though I don't see how revealing the protomolecule detracts from the story when it was it that triggered the events that took place in S1, including the political tension between the planetary factions and the interaction between characters.

>the way they got all that radiation was so random

no it wasn't.

>will they just get rid of it via a magic machine?

Yeah in the far flung fucking future where they can clone you a new arm or give you a cybernetic limb there's no way they could have figured out how cure radiation sickness. Martian tech was THE shit.

And Ana in Overwatch right?

Regenerative therapy seems to be a thing in The Expanse's universe.

No way, I'll check it out right now.

>Thomas Jane
based character

Why are The Expanse threads so comfy?

A total lack of Shoreh Agadashloo swearing a blue streak.

Literally the only change from the books that was bad.

Yeah, the intro to the last two episodes was really atmospheric. Getting it earlier would have been nice.

Nope, Ana's voice lacks the hoarseness that's present in Shoreh's voice. She doesn't sound like she has throat cancer.

>it's Miller shoots everyone in a face episode

in the books they have to go on meds for the rest of their lives

The martian died too soon
He should've been part of the team
>tfw you'll never see ocean on mars

Unless season 2 is especially awesome, I think this alone could kill it.

I think it's supposed to be due to the bones not being under as much compression during development affecting the growth plates and bone density, as well as spinal compression as has been noted.
I'm not sure how realistic that would be for bone lengthening, but one method that is currently used to change bone length is to break the bone and put it in a sort of progressive traction.

is this some kind of magic radiation? that sounds even dumber than having a cure all machine.

Thanks, saved.

>the sorites fallacy
having a continuum doesn't mean there is no distinction between them.
Also, the soft/hard sci-fi distinction is not a value judgment; it's just a description of the type of story.
>Criticizing "soft" science fiction without evaluating how it actually affects the overall quality of the story is pointless and a sign of autism.
Some people actually have differing taste in hard/soft sci-fi. It's autistic to see this as a criticism and become defensive.

So, I like her character but when I have problems it's because I can't tell the purpose of the stark contrast between her two lives:

Is it because she is trying to protect her family in the way that she can? So she needs to be a mom at home, but a viper at work?

Is it because she loves to win, as that one man said? She can't go without winning? Because stable family households are not built on that.

Or is it simply to highlight how hypocritical she is (my children, my husband, not dirty martians)?

I never read the books so I don't know.

Mexican manlet and his uncharismatic crew.

Miller is the only good character.

Shes looking out for Earth, that means being a fucking cunt.

Skipping a year between seasons.

Successful people live different roles in different aspects of their lives. Compartmentalization is important, and natural, for anyone.

But she has no problem going home to her family, no reconciliation. That's why I can't tell how much credence the poker-game analogy her older friend gave her had.

I understand being a cunt, I'm just wondering how she reconciles it. If she's somewhat hypocritical about it, she'll push her kids away from government jobs. If she's fine with what she does, she'll be fine if her child wants to follow in her footsteps.

Does that make sense?

In the books she pretty much says outright that her grand children aren't safe if Earth is not the tippest of the top in the galactic power structure.

Also her son died and so that probably makes her much more clingy and maternal to the family she has left.

ugh why was chinese man and sentient goo try to start war??

Alright, this is kind of what I was looking for.

I really just need to read the books after my GoT reread.

>A show bills itself as Hard Science Ficiton.
>They show permanent human colonies on Mars even though the weak gravity would cause horrendous fucking body disfigurement.

Why is this allowed at fucking all?

They really just stick that 1 minute intro for the rest of the episodes for the next season.
I almost forgot how glorious it was on the pilot episode.

>shitposting about a show he didn't watch
why is this allowed at fucking all?

>syfy

that's what went wrong right there

I don't really know how to answer this. All the current stuff of hers in Season 1 is fan fiction since she is not a character in the books until the second one but she acts pretty much the same in the show as she is in the books.

In the books you read quite a few times how frustrated she is with the fanatics and the radicals on all sides and how eager they are to start wars. She shows compassion and empathy towards others, such as remarking that many sons die when wars start.

I believe she cares about all lives, but will go to extreme lengths and will do horrible things to make sure as many people as possible as safe. And to be honest, she doesn't go all too far in the show, nor does she ever do something "heinous" in the books. She just has a potty mouth and is ruthless.

Alright, that kind of answers my questions more. Probably should read the books.

Just read them now, don't even finish Game of Thrones, The Expanse series it's much better than ASOIAF.

I finished all the books this year since I had a lot of spare time at work. The next one is due this November and I cannot wait. I have a hard time watching and reading other sci-fi now because all the physics and and politics and "realism" of it all is very gratifying to read and keeps the series grounded.

It is an amazing character drama too. Even though Holden's actor makes me want to punch him in the face, he really is a good choice for the adaptation, because book Holden needs to get punched in the face, too. But you end up liking him and the rest of the crew.

It's a great read, user, get on it.

When is the next book coming out?

November.

Fuck. Thanks.

It was never sold as hard sci-fi; it's space opera/noir and was promoted as such.

hol up hol up hol up
its not coming back til 2017?
WHAT THE FUCK REEEEEEE

why is mars so advanced compared to almost everyone else except some parts of earth?

The explanation seems to be that the pressures of life on Mars necessitate a rough, practical pioneer ethos for survival, where innovation is desperate and rapid. This is seen additionally in how the martians despise the indolent terrans because they're soft and have to work for nothing to survive.