/classical/

Beethoven-senpai edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk
youtube.com/watch?v=K8EGpVghuxg
youtube.com/watch?v=Od-u82HTA4g
youtube.com/watch?v=g9FYgLvKTbc
youtube.com/results?search_query=piccinini passacaglia
youtube.com/watch?v=JDHy-2m3WHI
youtube.com/watch?v=0KQV4pYn6kE
youtube.com/watch?v=9EVyWhcaQbM
youtube.com/watch?v=R5hFZUu2dFc
youtube.com/watch?v=aT1ZhUEPJA0
youtube.com/watch?v=DR3Rt2z-dyU
pastebin.com/gq7Tt0Ts
youtube.com/watch?v=rqwgeKOgezg
youtube.com/watch?v=sdbEpWOmFkY
vocaroo.com/i/s16oryrduRkx
youtube.com/watch?v=Ze6-jHLEAtE
richardgalbraith.bandcamp.com/album/polyphony
strawpoll.me/13018067
youtube.com/watch?v=V4YSysUn-Bk
youtube.com/watch?v=v2PZFB-27hM
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mozart actually is a veritable meme. He also happens to be a good composer, but he's a meme nonetheless. Other examples of memes are Gorecki's 3rd Symphony and Messiaen's Quartet For the End of Time. Don't think in absolutes, and the definition is very easy to accept. Something isn't bad because it is a meme. Rather a lot of memes tend to be bad because their notoriety has little to do with the music in the first place, so the quality of the music is not the deciding factor. More generally, a meme composition is any composition that is popular because it is popular. Vivaldi's Four Seasons is this kind of meme.

Maybe you should just stop going "squeak squeak, meme meme" and you'll find yourself thinking more cogently.

Stop trying to exploit my virginity with anime girls.

What the fuck is this conductor's problem?

youtube.com/watch?v=vHqtJH2f1Yk

He wanted to be a dancer, but his parents wouldn't let him. In protest, he now dances while conducting.

Inspirational.

>read here on /classical/ that Beethoven actually had a long beard for most of his life
>read Solomon's "Beethoven"
>apparently LvB wore glasses too

What the fuck. I honestly can't imagine Beethoven with beard and glasses, it feels too wrong.

>What the fuck is this conductor's problem?

It's an image, my friend. He probably actually likes conducting this way (have you ever tried doing so? Being measured and calm is the hard thing to do, dancing like him is, instead, wonderful), and he knows that in the long run people will at the very least remember his name due to his hair and antics: on top of that he is a very good orchestrator, meaning that even the more jaded listeners will find some valuable performance in his repertoire.

Dudamel will be the Karajan of the second half of the 21st century.

>I honestly can't imagine Beethoven with beard and glasses, it feels too wrong.

>Schubert's sonatas in minor keys

is this /pseud/ general?

No.

yes

>Dudamel will be the Karajan of the second half of the 21st century.
Nah. They're simply not comparable. Karajan hit it big at just the right time when the recording process was hitting its peak; massive developments in sound quality, the accessibility of the record player, and the ever increasing standard of playing which came as a result of this. Not only that, but Karajan had a massively successful marketing campaign behind him, back at a time when conductors could still be something close to what movie stars are today. Thanks to this, he became one of the biggest names of the 21st century, and he has sold by and far the most classical records out of everyone.

Compared to today, we simply do not have any conductors who come anywhere near that kind of iconic status. Classical record sales see most of their revenue from box sets (usually just reissues) , and, in some countries, they sell absolutely terribly no matter what they put out. Old people would rather listen to their old favorites, and young people would rather listen to pop music. And advancements in audio quality have reached a point of severe diminishing returns; I doubt we'll ever ever see iconic sound engineers like Culshaw or Wilkinson.

So, yeah, I hate to be cynical, but I doubt we'll ever see a revival of the kind of massive sales figures or renown that conductors saw in the 50s-60s period. Not unless something massive and deconstructing occurs. Conductors definitely need to take some massive risks if they want those days back, and probably get someone with huge youth appeal like Bernstein had.

What? is that supposed to be Beethoven? God fucking dammit I hate weebs

weebz r us
beethoven a qt

Come to think of it, I can't think of any big personalities in classical today. I mean, there are plenty of conductors and performers I love, but I only really know their performances. You don't really have anyone extremely suave like a Bernstein, Gould, or Cooke talking your ear off about music. No more "blow up the opera houses" Boulez.

I guess everything just kind of feels like it's plateaued. The latest and ""greatest"" opera productions are no longer shocking, but just another stepping stone on that overbeaten purportedly "avant-garde" path. Ironically doing a traditional production would probably cause a greater stir! And performances of old repertoire seem to become less and less distinguishable.

There's certainly a general lack of hysterics and excitement in our community these days. Kind of a shame, honestly. Maybe it isn't as bad as I'm making it out to be, but as someone who regularly attends concerts, and is a performer myself, that's what it seems like.

Dysgenics is real.

Notice that I'm not talking about his ability as a conductor (Dudamel has no piece in his repertoire that is as emblematic as Beethoven's symphonies were for Karjan), rather I'm talking about his fame by itself.

At the end of the day all of the most famous conductors will die in a few years from now, and among the young ones Dudamel is certainly one of the only celebrities in the business.
If people will remember the performances of these decades, Dudamel will surely be remembered if not as an iconic figure, at least as a recognized one... unless an actual musical movement of value will pop out.

You could make an argument for those Marquez pieces that made him famous with the SBYO; although not on the level of Beethoven symphonies compositionally, they have become one of his hallmarks

Reminder that Schubert took the first counterpoint lesson at the beginning of the week in which he died.

>tfw

So what is the best recording of Tristan und Isolde? So far I've only listened to the one by Carlos Kleiber, which I really enjoy.

Shostakovich's string quartets are so bad.

furt

I'm just here do claim my /husbando/

Kleiber is my favorite but Furtwangler, Bohm and Bernstein are good.

Which year do you recommend?

Someone already put a ring on it.

cute

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=K8EGpVghuxg

post yfw Schubert's piano sonatas are better on fortepiano.

youtube.com/watch?v=Od-u82HTA4g

Mozart's do as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=g9FYgLvKTbc

How did he do it all, the absolute madman

He wasn't that good

>sonata 16

My man.

They would sound even better on a luthiel with a harp register.

>luthiel
luthéal*

>that development section

Esteemed aficionados and connoisseurs of this most high art, I beseech you to impart upon me your great wisdom and advice. I found this song today, a passacaglia by Allesandro Piccinini and wondered which of these videos is the best recording?

youtube.com/results?search_query=piccinini passacaglia

youtube.com/watch?v=JDHy-2m3WHI

I found these which one do you think is better?

youtube.com/watch?v=0KQV4pYn6kE

youtube.com/watch?v=9EVyWhcaQbM

Paul O'Dette or Jakob Lindberg are usually good, those live recordings aren't the best though.

this one youtube.com/watch?v=R5hFZUu2dFc

I cant stop youtube.com/watch?v=aT1ZhUEPJA0

>The instrument is called the Toohoohoolzote
wich 2hu wud u hoolzote

Interesting how both versions sound out of tune now that I've listened to more music in different temperaments. I guess the brain really does tend to focus on just intonation and seeks to approximate every signal received to it.

vvhvt?

Is there an essential Organ works list?

Frescobaldi's Fiori musicali and Bach's works for organ are probably the only essential ones desu.

I have Bach, Reger, some Messiaen. I need moar organ.

youtube.com/watch?v=DR3Rt2z-dyU

Here's a pastebin I made a while ago. Not the best performances of the pieces (generally just picked the best I could find on youtube) but it's a start.
pastebin.com/gq7Tt0Ts
Just make sure every other piece is by Bach until you've made it through his organ output.
Here's a short one to get you started
youtube.com/watch?v=rqwgeKOgezg

Thanks anons. Organ is the only thing keeping me going right now.

Handel's organ concertos
Buxtehude, Sweelinck and Franck's works
Widor's symphonies
Saint-Saens' organ symphony
Gubaidulina, Ligeti's works
Poulenc's organ concerto
Moniuszko 's masses give good organ

shosti (underrated) youtube.com/watch?v=sdbEpWOmFkY

Can anyone please identify this version of "Eternal Father Strong To Save"? I've been looking for it since ages and I can not find it!

vocaroo.com/i/s16oryrduRkx

It was also mentioned in a game called JFK : Reloaded

will add

>tfw got what I think is the opening of the final movement of a piano concerto stuck in my head and can't figure out which one it is.
Time to look through a list of minor key piano concerti until I figure it out

>that Rondò

probably the catchiest movement Schubert ever wrote, while still remaining extremely insightful and deep.

God, I love Schubert. Not only his music is wonderful, but reading his scores will also teach you lots about composition: every single one of his works is basically a treatise on how to write music in that form, and there is so much of it!

Sing it on vocaroo and post it here, maybe we can help you.

I find the rondo of D959 catchier, probably because it seems to heavily borrow from Im fruhling, so it's naturally song-like

M. Haydn

youtube.com/watch?v=Ze6-jHLEAtE

>tfw Boulez never fully transcribed his Notations for orchestra
Why even live desu

who cares lol

Could anyone upload Isabelle Faust's Mozart violin concerti recording?

petzold

How do I into mélodie? What are the most entry level ones?

'froberger

Perfect pitch warning though

ded

>Schubert never wrote a piano concerto

good thing he didnt ruin another genre

I never really missed until your post.

This is the ideal Russian Composer. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Found some synthesized renaissance music?
richardgalbraith.bandcamp.com/album/polyphony

Anyone know similar stuff like this?

damnit, ignore that first question mark

>not Mussorgsky
Disgusting.

Do the movements in a sonata have any harmonical relationship between them? Or can a composer just put anything he wants as long as its fast-slow-fast, thanks

First and last movements are either in the same key or parallel key (first movement could be in C minor and the last movement is either in C minor or C major, for an example).
Middle movement is kinda whatever. Usually the dominant key if the home key of the outer movements is in major, or the relative major key if the outer movements are in minor. Sometimes they're subdominant, sometimes they're submediant, but usually it's the domiannt.

/pseud/owoodo!

lollll what is this? You call this music?? Look, I know statistically not everyone is gonna have a high iq and so I really shouldn't blame you. But not everyone has good bowel function either and I'll still blame you if you shit all over everything. And you just did that to my ears. You shat all over them. Honestly just give up. Do you even know any music theory lol? Like have you even heard of Schenkerian analysis? Have you even read LCCTO? Oh lol you don't even know what it stands for? HAHAHAHA I'm not honestly even surprised. Look kid, go ahead and delude yourself into thinking your music is good. I'm sure just repeating "music is subjective and my opinion is just as good as yours" over and over will make you feel better. But deep down we all know that while you're listening to fucking Porter Robinson and thinking "oh my god this is so deep because I also like anime!" I'm going to be dissecting musical set theory and transcribing Babbitt and Ayler. Just fucking give up. Soooo fucking pathetic lmfaooo

strawpoll.me/13018067
strawpoll.me/13018067
strawpoll.me/13018067
strawpoll.me/13018067

Is this new pasta?

I genuinely prefer the fortepiano sound to modern pianos. Maybe it's because every concert pianist ever uses the same god damn le steinway and they all sound the fucking same

Give me something that allows me to forget my mystery while also wallow in it.

>mystery
Auto-correct, I meant misery.

Easy answer you miserable faggot
youtube.com/watch?v=V4YSysUn-Bk

youtube.com/watch?v=v2PZFB-27hM

WHERE THE FUCK IS CRUDBLUD

yo anons rec me some petzold

Why do the reviews sites give positive feedback to almost all releases? "A very welcoming addition to your library" is what I mostly read.

which review site are you using

musicweb-international and classical.net, mostly.

Neither Gorecki or Messaien are "meme" composers. "Meme piece" is generally used for stuff like Mozart's Turkish March, Beethoven's 9th, Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries and other pieces that are overplayed in media and common to those with no interest in classical music.

Hubert Parry's stuff.

>not Prokofiev
>inb4 but he was Ukrainian
Ukraine isn't real place.

post more like this

youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM

>Neither Gorecki or Messaien are "meme" composers.
But Gorecki's 3rd symphony and Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time are meme pieces.

Why?