Alright Sup Forums

Alright Sup Forums,

I know you are going to tell me to go to Sup Forums but here goes.

I have recently lost my laptop dude to water damage but the hard drive is fine...

Im on a desktop replacement right now, how can I boot into my old operating system to pick up where I left off?

Pic related: the laptop someone sabotaged....

Plug it in to motherboard, go into bios and set that drive to the first boot priority

if i were in your situation i'd take the hard drive, plug it into a cpu/motherboard/ram/power supply via sata to USB adaptor, set it to the primary boot device and try get in
i'd try the bootable windows and choose 'startup repair'

do you actually need to boot into the OS, or just recover data?

sorry what am i thinking. no sata to usb adapter needed. just plug it in by sata

when i plug the old hdd into the desktop it just sits with a flashing underscore black screen...

did you use the bootable windows 7/8/10 installation media, and ask for startup repair?

I dont really need to boot into the old os but would be nice to pick up from where i last was and would save time..

this

Generally in these kinds of situations i recommend rebooting the electromagnetic hyperdrive unless you want to also reinstall your G.I jOS in which case try turning it off then on again.

Are both cables (power and data) plugged in tirhgt? also did you set priority? If that doesn't work disconnect the other drives so it is just the laptop one

i cant even get to bios on the new machine, kind of new to desktops... it just sits with a black screen flashing underscore

tried this, is it possible the drive partitions are causing the issue?

As soon as you press power button, spam delete key that it usually the key to get to bios

Not sure because if it worked in the old laptop I doubt much has changed.

we need to get into the bios. if the bios doesn't detect the drive, then there is no hope in progressing any further, we need to know if that's happening

if you can't get into the BIOS then get the sata to usb adapter, use a working windows installation, plug the drive into that comp and try to recover data from x:\users\ and anywhere else you need to

if bios detects the drive then it will boot into my old os?

If you cant boot off the drive, try using software such as Recuva to get your files or as someone else said just go directly into the drive from my computer.

If you set the computer to boot to that drive then it should do.

what if the old drive has partitions on?

ive tried booting with just that drive in....

if the bios detects the drive, at least we know the system can see it so we should be able to access it

next i'd set it to be the primary boot device & just restart, if no success then i'd try the windows startup repair, that should get you in but doesn't always work

is there a way to set priority from the new os? I have windows 10 on the hdd that cam with the new machine..

also what are the most common keys for bios?

del and is it sometimes f12?

I have the same laptop, but nothing to help you

best fucking laptop i ever had man.... ffs

>Sup Forums
go to

I feel you user, I soft-bricked mine once because of some stupid mod and had to reinstall the OS